1st Annual JWFan Award

Koray Savas

The Real Deal  

31 members have voted

1. 1. You chose the nominees, now vote for your favorite!

• Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - John Williams
    • The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat
    • Cloverfield - Michael Giacchino
    • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Mark Griskey
    • Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, I find that a disappointing list for the best of last year. I like Wanted, but again, not a favourite.

My favourite out of all of them is KotCS (not a Giacchino or SW fan, and I think Button is overrated), and that's definitely not one of my favourites for last year. Anyone else think so too, or does my taste really differ so much from others here?

Well, I had to vote for the old warhorse, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's lazy and it's tired but it's still pretty damn good and runs circles around the other scores in terms of technical complexity.

The Force Unleashed was excellent. So full of life. Griskey's a composer to keep an eye on. Cloverfield is great for what it is... a loving pastiche of Ifukube. Haven't heard Speed Racer. I wasn't too impressed with Benjamin Button but maybe it will grow on me.

Cloverfield, I can only dream of what an entire score based on that 12 minutes would sound like.

Indeed. Cloverfield gets my vote as well, with Indy 4 and The Force Unleashed right behind.

Well, I had to vote for the old warhorse, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's lazy and it's tired but it's still pretty damn good and runs circles around the other scores in terms of technical complexity.

The Force Unleashed was excellent. So full of life. Griskey's a composer to keep an eye on. Cloverfield is great for what it is... a loving pastiche of Ifukube. Haven't heard Speed Racer. I wasn't too impressed with Benjamin Button but maybe it will grow on me.

The same. Except I'm not familiar with Cloverfield.

What a surprise. The John Williams score is winning on a John Williams forum. :D

;) Yeah...

Also, I'm not sure if Thomas Newman or Hans Zimmer (for example) would even WANT a John Williams Fan Award!

Anyway, I voted for Indy 4.

What a surprise. The John Williams score is winning on a John Williams forum. :blink:

Well it is JWFan - any other composer winning was about as likely as a revelation that Zimmer ghost-wrote Temple of Doom.

I'm not voting for the same reason I didn't vote in the later stages of the first Williams poll - it was the same old predictable stuff and I don't think any of these options were the best of the year

I voted for KOTCS. It's not the greatest score in the world, but it deserves a bit more love than it seems to get.

Yes, exactly.

Except from a very few members, it didn't seem to get any love at all! :blink:

I voted for KOTCS. It's not the greatest score in the world, but it deserves a bit more love than it seems to get.

Yes, exactly.

Those insolent rebels had better get back in line or be silenced.

Permanently.

Yes, exactly.

Except from a very few members, it didn't seem to get any love at all! :lol:

Those insolent rebels had better get back in line or be silenced.

Permanently.

What are you? Dirty Henry? :blink:

As I see it, it's a serviceable but rather mediocre Williams score and far too many members here give it far too much praise.

This place is in danger of becoming a Giacchino and Williams fanboy board.

God forbid we should be vocal about things we like.

Beats discussing Zimmer all the time.

You ain't kidding.

I'm too hard on Indy 4 sometimes, it is a good score, just not a great one. From a thematic standpoint Williams actually put a lot of thought and effort into it, it's very dense and interesting.

Like the film though, it's too much all over the place.

There's thirties swashbackling, forties sultry femme fatale, and fifties cheesy sci-fi, all clearly defined as their own category.

Just what is this thing trying to be?

I'm just making observations on the choices in this poll. The Cloverfield overture is one cue and people are still voting it their favourite score of the year - it's not a full score - it's one very good piece of music. Also, Indy 4 winning? Please - it's the most controversial score I've ever seen discussed here, but give people a poll and it suddenly loses all criticism mysteriously (I'm not dismissing those who liked more of the score than I did - I'm glad it's enjoyed by some), when I personally feel there are better accomplishments in the last year.

Fair enough then. I just don't like that "fanboy" word thrown around so much. It's a cheap attempt to discredit legitimite opinion, in my opinion. Maybe it should become part of that law about throwing the label "Nazi" around. :blink:

Lol, wouldn't go that far :)

I don't much like the term either and yes, it's easily used as a quick gimmick to tell someone their opinion is sh!t. I try to only use it when I feel that someone is going to unreasonable lengths to praise (or insufficient to trash) a score based entirely on who wrote it - I hope I don't come across as what you suggested.

Well it is JWFan - any other composer winning was about as likely as a revelation that Zimmer ghost-wrote Temple of Doom.

The sad thing is, I'm betting that if Goldsmith were still alive and had scored a film this year, it would indeed have beaten KotCS. :)

The sad thing is, I'm betting that if Goldsmith were still alive and had scored a film this year, it would indeed have beaten KotCS. :)

I like your thinking ;)

Depends on what he scored.

Iron Man would have been my choice.

Why do you people always have to insult Zimmer? There are some people who like him a lot and it's getting very redundant and obnoxious. What if every time you mentioned something you like, a bunch of trolls came and called it crap? Wouldn't that get on your nerves? >_>

Crystal Skull

Why do you people always have to insult Zimmer? There are some people who like him a lot and it's getting very redundant and obnoxious. What if every time you mentioned something you like, a bunch of trolls came and called it crap? Wouldn't that get on your nerves? >_>

Crystal Skull

I also voted for Crystal Skull. Why? Because... Everything John Williams composes is a masterpiece. Maybe I'm over-rating him, but with all the bad and popular music that exist today (especially that all-syntethized music), it's great to have a composer who is a living legend and that has a great taste in terms of music composing.

And about Zimmer... I don't dislike his music. After all, most of his themes are catchy and easy listening (remember he's a rock composer, not a classical one). What I dislike about Zimmer is his style: Mixing a little orchestra with heavy syntethizers. For example, in "Pirates", I was horrified when I noticed the presence of syntethizers in the background music. That could be a reason why a lot of people dislike Zimmmer's music and his students.

Maybe you'll say: "For me, the syntethizers sound just like the orchestra". You can never compare two things that are totally different: An orchestra with a keyboard, Spielberg with a bad director, John Williams with Hans Zimmer.

They aren't related at all.

Well well, another fanboy ROTFLMAO

Beating a dead horse with that sentence. Never makes a difference around here.

Well well, another fanboy :P

Beating a dead horse with that sentence. Never makes a difference around here.

I suppose it would be. But they constantly troll up threads with those remarks, so why aren't those beating the dead horse? ROTFLMAO

Why? Because his music is awful and he has no business being mentioned in the same breath as John Williams as far as I'm concerned. If you think we veteran members are trolling then mentioning Zimmer on this message board is considered trolling as far as I'm concerned since it seems that's all some members appear to do.

And you really aren't reading too many threads if you think all we do is insult Zimmer.

I sigh as well when I see certain member's names attached to posts as well so don't think you're alone.

Why? Because his music is awful and he has no business being mentioned in the same breath as John Williams as far as I'm concerned.

It's interrupting the proper discussion between those who actually enjoy music he writes. Why not just stay out of RCP conversations if you're not going to say anything constructive.

Don't get me wrong Mark, I find a heck of a lot of his stuff total garbage (PotC: DMC is totally unlistenable for me, to name one), and comparisons are made sometimes which are totally bizarre. I just want you to acknowledge tastes other than yours.

You act as if I interrupt every Zimmer discussion and I don't. Besides this thread wasn't about Zimmer to begin with, John and I were just making an observation.

And I do acknowledge other tastes and I try and promote other composers I think people here would appreciate. It's not like I'm a narrow minded person that's just about John Williams John Williams John Williams. I've got around 200 composers in my collection, I think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to listening to film music.