Best non-Williams score of 2008  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite.

• Cloverfield - Michael Giacchino
    • The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat
    • Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino
    • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Mark Griskey
    • Wanted - Danny Elfman

This is just to see what JWFan's favorite score of the year was other than the one by our beloved maestro. I'm not at all trying to discredit Koray's system.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but how can Cloverfield be listed. Its one track thats not completely heard.

its not a score.

Haven't heard all of them, but Button has made a good impression on me after a few listens and hearing it in the film. It's an interesting and definitely listenable mix of restrained emotion and whimsical charm. I particularly enjoy how Desplat seems to score most scenes as if they're a montage, with the music constantly moving and not always matching specific sync points in the film.

Cloverfield. Button seemed redundant. Speed Racer just didn't really interest me. TFU was a bit boring. I would describe it how many here would describe Zimmer's work, minus the use of electronics. Wanted was pretty good. All the really stuck out to me was "Success Montage", though.

Wanted

I only heard it recently but I really like it. Although I'm not an Elfman fan, I do sometimes like his less quirky, more mainstream music.

Again, I still don't think it's the best of the year, but it's my favourite from this poll.

BTW, I have to agree with Joey about Cloverfield. It's an overture, not a score. Granted, it's a very, very good 12 minutes, but that's why I made the brief accusation of fanboyism in the other thread - rating a 12 min piece of music over all other full scores.

TFU was a bit boring. I would describe it how many here would describe Zimmer's work, minus the use of electronics.

Whu?

I mean, it just seemed uninspired and simple to me. I'm not very familiar with Griskey's work, though.

TFU was a bit boring. I would describe it how many here would describe Zimmer's work, minus the use of electronics.

Whu?

I mean, it just seemed uninspired and simple to me. I'm not very familiar with Griskey's work, though.

It has far less character than Griskey's other Star Wars score, Knights of the Old Republic II. Griskey was asked to closely imitate Williams, sliding from the prequel style to the original trilogy style (to bridge the gap). However, his score is no mere pastiche even given the frequent use of Williams's themes (which is always very fun).

Hellboy II got one vote, by Mark O. I believe. Milk didn't get any that I recall, maybe a couple. Wanted was the runner-up, so Chuck just took out Indy 4 and put that in it's place.

Indy 4 got Hellboy 2's votes. I'll do a new poll.