169 replies to this topic

#1 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while. The jungle chase in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is such a frustrating sequence. I want to love it, and although it has a number of good elements it ultimately is too disjointed and needlessly infantile. One of these infantile moments is (of course) when Mutt is taking crotch shots from plants. But hold your thoughts on that for one moment; even if the crotch shot and Tarzan sequences were excised / improved, the whole chase still wouldn't feel right. And I can't help but think that John Williams had a lot to do with it by adding his "Adventures of Mutt" theme. The music is too flighty and non-threatening, and it feels totally out of place in the scene. I know the scenario is ridiculous, but shouldn't we be feeling some kind of tension or suspense when a hero and villain are dueling on moving cars? Williams rarely outright misses the mark in terms how the music interacts with the action, but here he may have been way off.

Thoughts?

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#2 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

The piece is great.

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#3 Erik Woods

Erik Woods

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

The piece is great.

Agreed! Great stand alone piece of music but IMHO doesn't fit the character or the action on screen. BTW, Ted, I agree with what you wrote as well.

-Erik-
-Erik Woods-
host and producer of CINEMATIC SOUND
http://www.cinematicsound.net

Posted Image

#4 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

The piece is great.

Posted Image

#5 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

The music is too flighty and non-threatening, and it feels totally out of place in the scene. I know the scenario is ridiculous, but shouldn't we be feeling some kind of tension or suspense when a hero and villain are dueling on moving cars? Williams rarely outright misses the mark in terms how the music interacts with the action, but here he may have been way off.

The piece is great.

Agree with both. Great fun on its own, but way too light and jaunty for the scene.

#6 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while. The jungle chase in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is such a frustrating sequence. I want to love it, and although it has a number of good elements it ultimately is too disjointed and needlessly infantile. One of these infantile moments is (of course) when Mutt is taking crotch shots from plants. But hold your thoughts on that for one moment; even if the crotch shot and Tarzan sequences were excised / improved, the whole chase still wouldn't feel right. And I can't help but think that John Williams had a lot to do with it by adding his "Adventures of Mutt" theme. The music is too flighty and non-threatening, and it feels totally out of place in the scene. I know the scenario is ridiculous, but shouldn't we be feeling some kind of tension or suspense when a hero and villain are dueling on moving cars? Williams rarely outright misses the mark in terms how the music interacts with the action, but here he may have been way off.

Thoughts?

Ted

The scene could have been constructed better (mainly the SFX), but the musical piece DOES indeed work. It's great, I love it.

#7 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10274 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

Meh, it didn't bother me. It's okay to have adventure and excitement without the sense of peril sometimes.

- Datameister, who nevertheless LOVES the subtle sense of dread that the music builds throughout Raiders, for instance.

#8 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

A BIG FAT NO. It is the worst thing to happen to Indiana Jones since being entombed in the Well of Souls.

Way to undermine the vague tension of the jungle chase...

I've said it sucks since day one. I don't care how "technically" superior it is, or how great a standalone cue it might be; in the movie it mostly SUCKS.

#9 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

A BIG FAT NO. It is the worst thing to happen to Indiana Jones since being entombed in the Well of Souls.

Well, that scene was clearly meant as a kind of comic relief, even without the music.

JW just went along with it (or maybe Spielberg told him how to score it).

I think the music is fitting. Jungle Chase (the scene) cannot be compared to Desert Chase, IMO.

#10 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9579 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

The only tense moment in the entire cue for me is the final minute or so with the militaristic sounding part.

Apart from that, I listen to it as just a tremendously fun action cue, so yes, in a way I think Williams perhaps misjudged the approach (or Spielberg just gave inaccurate direction).

#11 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20711 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

To me, Mutt's theme is clearly the score's weakest spot.

#12 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

Spielberg just gave inaccurate direction.

Because of the music, the Jungle chase as a sequence, is a joke.

#13 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10274 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

It's the dumb humor, unrealistic situation, and hit-and-miss visual effects that contribute to its jokelikeness for me, not the music.

#14 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

The piece is great

And it fits the scenes it scores.

What is the need of ultra-tension? Its mostly a cat & mouse game with the skull. From the moment there are no guns, its a sword duel, Mutt seems to be good at it so i did not fear he was going to be killed or something.

Was there any tension needed on Robin hood? It had an evil tyrant prince, still, it was a lighthearted film and the score fits it.

Do i have to mention 'The Pen is mightier than the sword' moment from Last crusade?

#15 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

It's the dumb humor, unrealistic situation, and hit-and-miss visual effects that contribute to its jokelikeness for me, not the music.

Of course all of those things are true, but the spotting session was the nail in the coffin.

I'm used to JW making a substandard scene work better, not even worse.

#16 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

So you think if the music had been different, the scene would have come off tense and suspenseful?

I don't think so.

#17 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

This is one of those JW cues that really seems to divide us. I hear the argument for its achievement as a standalone piece, but I'm trying to consider it in relation to the visuals from the scene. And to me, the scene (and likewise the movie) is mostly a failed opportunity. It should have been tense and exciting, but it just falls apart.

So you think if the music had been different, the scene would have come off tense and suspenseful?

I don't think so.

Sometimes I wonder though. Action music (especially Williams') can really dictate the flow and feeling of a big sequence.

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#18 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

I think a better composition tonally, may have have helped to gloss over at least the sequence's worst offenders.

#19 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

This is one of those JW cues that really seems to divide us. I hear the argument for its achievement as a standalone piece, but I'm trying to consider it in relation to the visuals from the scene. And to me, the scene (and likewise the movie) is mostly a failed opportunity. It should have been tense and exciting, but it just falls apart.

Ted

I don't think so.

Sometimes I wonder though. Action music (especially Williams') can really dictate the flow and feeling of a big sequence.

Ted

Well, here, Spielberg clearly MEANT it to be more comedic than suspenseful.

JW just scored it accordingly. I don't think we can blame Williams here. You can blame Spielberg (or Koepp or most likely Georgie).

I think a better composition tonally, may have have helped to gloss over at least the sequence's worst offenders.

Possibly yes. However, I have a strong feeling that Spielberg told JW how to score that scene.

Except for this and the monkey-scene, The Jungle Chase HAS been scored VERY tensely and suspensefully after all.

#20 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Josh's eternally tiresome fanboy defence of JW = :sleepy:

Possibly yes. However, I have a strong feeling that Spielberg told JW how to score that scene.

And guess what: They BOTH got it wrong, as I said a few posts up this page.

To suggest that Williams doesn't serve as a post production creative director of sorts, is ludicrous.

#21 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

Think whatever you want.

But that's my honest opinion.

And guess what: They BOTH got it wrong. As I said a few posts up this page.

WRONG?

Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about, do you? There is no right or wrong here. :sleepy:

Many people like that scene after all. You just don't. That's all there is to it.

#22 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Fair enough on the like/dislike factor.

I have however edited a previous post on the first page (my last post), which I think further explains my viewpoint.

To put it as straightforward as I possibly can: JW's Mutt music during the Jungle Chase makes the movie feel like a kids flick. None of the previous Indy movies were exclusively kids movies, yet JW's terrible film music makes it seem that way in Indy IV. He scores an Indiana Jones movie action sequence as if it were produced by Walt Disney.

#23 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

All the relation (and criticism) between 'The Adventures of Mutt' and the Mokey-wine swinging scens should be eliminated to rate this piece, as they are wrong.

The piece does not play in any of those scenes. Mutt's theme does.

#24 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

See:

Mutt music

Above.

#25 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

A nice cue but totally wrong when it comes to Indiana Jones. And the transition to the cue in the Jungle Chase feels like Williams said "what the hell I'll just paste this bit of music in here".

#26 BurgaFlippinMan

BurgaFlippinMan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4470 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

I think it definitely fit the scene well. Its more a question whether you like the scene itself in the first place.

#27 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

See:

Mutt music

Above.

:sleepy:

Yes it was your intention to speak about all mutt music and not just Adventures of mutt (what is the theme of the thread) from the very beggining:

I've said it sucks since day one. I don't care how "technically" superior it is, or how great a standalone cue it might be; in the movie it mostly SUCKS.

And The rest mutt music is a slightly altered Raiders march. The other (monkey first scene) music is so short and harmless that i dont know how can it ruin anything...

And Another example from the OT:

The basket game.

A comical cue that scores the tension indy is feeling about Marion's kidnaping and DEATH.

Spot on Scoring... (or that is what happens when you over-analyse things in order to find faults?)

#28 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10274 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

That's a good point about "The Basket Game." Why aren't we feeling the tension in that scene?

- Datameister, who actually hated that cue initially and only grew to love it later on.

#29 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Now that you mention, it probably is too light and nonthreatening for the scene (which I don't think it all Williams' fault). But the piece is still some good fun. It's doesn't bother me that much.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#30 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Another example from the OT:

The basket game.

A comical cue that scores the tension indy is feeling about Marion's kidnaping and DEATH.

Spot on Scoring... (or that is what happens when you over-analyse things in order to find faults?)

That's all wonderful and dreamy, but you're forgetting two vital things: The Basket Game scene WORKS. The score for that scene WORKS.

To compare anything from KOTCS to Raiders is like comparing mutton to silk.

#31 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

To compare anything from KOTCS to Raiders is like comparing mutton to silk.

I'm just using the same argument used to diminish the KOTCS piece, but for a Raiders cue, and its valid, very valid. (as Valid as your opinion, I mean...)

That's all wonderful and dreamy, but you're forgetting two vital things: The Basket Game scene WORKS. The score for that scene WORKS.

It works because it was filmed 28 years ago, and it is not a scene of 2008's KOTCS.

Raiders is and excellent soundtrack, just in case someone is reading me wrong

#32 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7087 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

"The Basket Game" works in ROTLA
"The Adventures of Mutt" works in KOTCS

Imo.

#33 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30054 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

It works because it was filmed 28 years ago, and it is not a scene of 2008's KOTCS.

Okay.

Gladiator's score works because it was filmed a few years ago and it isn't Dungeons and Dragons.

"The Basket Game" works in ROTLA
"The Adventures of Mutt" works in KOTCS

Imo.

Yay!

#34 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Okay.

Gladiator's score works because it was filmed a few years ago and it isn't Dungeons and Dragons.

Do you mean that if the movie is critically acclaimed, the score by definition, works, regardless of its quality?

OK but i'm not sure that is a 'good' point to use for Raiders.

And really Making the paralelism between Gladiator and Raiders (that a low hit) and D&D to KOTCS, is not talking about about mutton and silk, its between garbage and platinum.

#35 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6087 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

That's all wonderfully compelling, but you're forgetting two even more vital things: The Jungle Chase scene WORKS. The score for that scene WORKS.

#36 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9284 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Haha, like "The Basket Game" is the same as "The Jungle Chase" because both scenes are comedic. Of course not. There are many kinds of comedy. If "The Basket Game" was like "The Jungle Chase," instead of shooting the Arab swordsman, Indy would have had a full fledged sword duel with him, full of impossible stunts. Then he would have tripped and fallen into a townsperson, who in turn would have tripped and hit another townsperson and so on and so on until a domino effect took place and crushed the swordsman. That's the George Lucas of 2008 for you.

#37 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5926 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

To me, Mutt's theme is clearly the score's weakest spot.

#38 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17692 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Haha, like "The Basket Game" is the same as "The Jungle Chase" because both scenes are comedic. Of course not. There are many kinds of comedy. If "The Basket Game" was like "The Jungle Chase," instead of shooting the Arab swordsman, Indy would have had a full fledged sword duel with him, full of impossible stunts. Then he would have tripped and fallen into a townsperson, who in turn would have tripped and hit another townsperson and so on and so on until a domino effect took place and crushed the swordsman. That's the George Lucas of 2008 for you.

But the point is that both scenes have aspects of theme that are filled with tension, but because of the music we don't feel that tension.

I think it works great in both instances.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#39 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9284 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

I feel tension in "The Basket Game."

#40 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10274 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:00 AM

I feel tension toward the end, once they arrive at the truck. Before that, a lot of it is significantly more lighthearted than the jungle chase cues.

By the way, in case there was any confusion, I didn't mean to imply that those two sequences were comparable in quality. I'm one of those guys who thinks Raiders is nigh untouchable in just about any category imaginable, and as much as I enjoyed KOTCS on the whole, there's not a doubt in my mind which one is the "better" film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users