3155 replies to this topic

#81 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Is the volume output of that album slightly lower than those of Episode I and III?

I'm listening to this on my computer, but since I couldn't rip it (because of that stupid protection-thing) I got the files from somebody else. And when I compare the first tracks, I notice that the Main Title from Episode II is slightly lower in volume than the other two. Now, I'm wondering whether it's the album itself, or the files...

(I don't have a CD player at the moment, otherwise I would check it myself!)

#82 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

I know it's a tad bit muddy sounding at time. But I think the volume is the same.

#83 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

The Episode II CD has one of the worst mixes of all time. Period. It's like Shawn Murphy didn't clean his ears out for a year.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#84 ckappes

ckappes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

I'm listening to this on my computer, but since I couldn't rip it (because of that stupid protection-thing)

Take my advice: Buy the australian version. I have it, and it has no copy protection.
„With his strong classical background and his creative musical sense, John Williams has written majestic and wonderfully thematic scores for STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Through his music he has provided the most emotional heart of the films. I feel these score are among the best ever done and are equal to many of the classical pieces we have come to love.”

- Gary Kurtz

#85 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

I'm listening to this on my computer, but since I couldn't rip it (because of that stupid protection-thing)

Take my advice: Buy the australian version. I have it, and it has no copy protection.

I'm in Europe. How the heck do I get the Australian version? :lol:

#86 ckappes

ckappes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

I'm in Europe. How the heck do I get the Australian version? :lol:

I'm from Europe, too (Germany). I've bought it from Amazon.de-Marketplace.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.de...S...6848&sr=1-9
„With his strong classical background and his creative musical sense, John Williams has written majestic and wonderfully thematic scores for STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Through his music he has provided the most emotional heart of the films. I feel these score are among the best ever done and are equal to many of the classical pieces we have come to love.”

- Gary Kurtz

#87 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Episode II copy protection can be bypassed - if you import it using an external DVD-RAM.

#88 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Huh. My UK copy rips perfectly fine. At least I think it's a UK copy.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#89 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20527 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

Episode II copy protection can be bypassed - if you import it using an external DVD-RAM.

I never even noticed any of these copy protections. Under Linux, that is.

#90 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9529 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Here's a very subjective one - There's one track in Rupert Gregson-Williams' Bedtime Stories that I love - The Legend of Skeetacus, and the reason I love it is because of the mini-melodies that get stuck in your head, but especially the one at 1:37 because of how positive it sounds, and the 'major' note at 1:42 (the second to last note in that falling brass motif).

So my question is, where else can I find constructs like this, where a major note appears where you don't expect it to and just makes the melody so much 'happier'?

And I'm now officially a fan of this guy's adventure music :P

#91 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29608 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Interesting how it's always a brass note that stimulates the sensation you speak of. I'm sure ID4 is full of 'em.

#92 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Huh. My UK copy rips perfectly fine. At least I think it's a UK copy.

I never even noticed any of these copy protections. Under Linux, that is.

Despite the cover stating "Will not play on PC/Mac" for those of us that bought it when it came out, only Windows seems to have a problem with it. As far as I know, no Linux user ever had a problem with it either. It also depends on the age and setup of your PC (Windows98 never had an issue with it). But in general it can easily be bypassed as I said...

....as an aside, I think Sony got rapped on the knuckles for including this protection on several of their CD's (including the Spider-Man soundtrack) at the time.

#93 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32578 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

Whatever happened to those who ordered the last batch of Varese Clubs? I recall they shipped on April 6th. Anyone get Howard's Russkies? I want to know what you think.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#94 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:08 AM

What exactly is a "4B" pencil? I cannot find a satisfactory answer anywhere....
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#95 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32578 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

Don't those numbers/letters just refer to the type of lead in the pencil?
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#96 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:22 AM

I believe so.

#97 Hedji

Hedji

May the Lifelong Prosperous Force Be With You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

I think it has something to do with the softness of the graphite in the pencil. I believe the lower the number, the softer the graphite. You would use low numbers for shading and high numbers for detail.

At least, I think that's what it means.

#98 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:40 AM

I remember we always had to have a #2 pencil for tests in elementary and jr. high.

#99 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32578 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:42 AM

Which was complete bs, as long as you didn't use a pen you were fine.

#100 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:04 AM

Thanks!
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#101 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21004 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

The computers that read Scantron tests were guaranteed to always read #2 lead, so it became standard. But it was still critical to completely fill in the circle with no spill outside of the circle.

I'm sure you could've used different shades of pencil or not filled it in as much and still been fine, but they made such mundane rules to teach little kids to follow mundane rules.

#102 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17866 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I think it has something to do with the softness of the graphite in the pencil. I believe the lower the number, the softer the graphite. You would use low numbers for shading and high numbers for detail.

The other way around, actually, if you're on the B scale.

There's also H, which is actually harder.

HB is a regular pencil, 2H is what one would use for technical drawings (which have to be rather accurate) and 2B is what you would use for sketching (because it requires less pressure to get a line on the paper). The scales run up both ways.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#103 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Ah, I wasn't sure. That makes sense.

#104 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9529 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

Whatever happened to those who ordered the last batch of Varese Clubs? I recall they shipped on April 6th. Anyone get Howard's Russkies? I want to know what you think.

I finally received Nightwing last week (shipped on the 13th - more than a week after they started shipping) so they're not exactly pushing them out the door.

#105 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

When BATMAN FOREVER came out in 95, I remember buying the U2 single, which had a B-side of music from the film. I remember it started with the second half of 'Main Title and Fanfare' and continued with the new theme, as heard in 'Fledermausmarschmusik', which I believe is how it was scored in the opening of the film. Can anyone confirm this, and was this an edit or was that technically a piece that was left off the score?
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#106 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20527 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

A friend of mine had that CD, I think it had 4 score tracks altogether, including the one (I forget which track it is) with the "Bat----maaaaaaaaan" brass.

#107 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

In Star Trek III (and I think IV?) the Genesis Tape has been rerecorded with Kirk replacing Carol Marcus. Yet, III is set right after II, so when would he really have time to do this and why? It wasn't a Federation proposal, it was a proposal to the Federation itself, and includes no information about the Genesis planet,. Am I missing something, or did this have something to do with having to pay Bibi Besch for her performance again?

#108 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21004 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

That's a good question. Memory Alpha doesn't say anything about this. It probably was because Paramount didn't want a Godfather Part II or Superman II situation, where they reprise a main character's vocals in a sequel without paying the actor (and this was years before Universal did it anyways with Back to the Future Part II), and thus face a lawsuit.

I think I just always assumed that Kirk just restated the Genesis tapes as part of one of his Captain's Logs, so he wouldn't have to refer to Carol's propsal as a second document. That log would go on file with Starfleet, explaining its usage at the beginning of Star Trek IV when the Klingon ambassador goes off about Kirk, but it doesn't explain how it fell into Klingon hands for Star Trek III. They would have had to intercept the signal, anyways, to learn about the Genesis project in the first place, which makes sense from a Cold War perspective, of the Klingons (Russians) eavesdropping on Federation (American) transmissions, and vice versa.

#109 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Quick question... I just received the Intrada Signature Edition of Re-Animator/Ghoulies. Why do they call it a Signature Edition, and not one of their Special Collection releases? What makes it a "signature edition"? In collectibles like Star Wars prop replicas, Signature Edition items are usually autographed by an actor or filmmaker.

#110 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32578 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

I never understood the difference between the Signature, Collector, and Excalibur editions.

#111 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Quick question... I just received the Intrada Signature Edition of Re-Animator/Ghoulies. Why do they call it a Signature Edition, and not one of their Special Collection releases? What makes it a "signature edition"? In collectibles like Star Wars prop replicas, Signature Edition items are usually autographed by an actor or filmmaker.

The answer is at Intrada.

Signature

A series focusing on music by important composers for select projects scored between higher profile films.

Excalibur focuses on re-recordings and the Special Collection scores are the regular mainstream releases.

#112 Elmo Lewis

Elmo Lewis

Relatively respectable citizen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6139 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

In Star Trek III (and I think IV?) the Genesis Tape has been rerecorded with Kirk replacing Carol Marcus. Yet, III is set right after II, so when would he really have time to do this and why? It wasn't a Federation proposal, it was a proposal to the Federation itself, and includes no information about the Genesis planet,. Am I missing something, or did this have something to do with having to pay Bibi Besch for her performance again?

About Star Trek III. As happy as I am to have Nimoy back for IV and, to a lesser degree, V and VI -- how the anti-matter that destroyed Genesis doesn't affect his resurrected cells?
"We’re flawed because we want so much more. We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."

#113 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:04 AM

The answer is at Intrada.

Signature

A series focusing on music by important composers for select projects scored between higher profile films.

Excalibur focuses on re-recordings and the Special Collection scores are the regular mainstream releases.

Thanks for the info, Mark. I guess I'm still confused at how Re-animator got selected for a Signature release. What higher profile work did Richard Band do beyond Re-Animator? Oh well... splitting hairs I guess. Still, a fine release and a fun listen.

#114 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

Uhhhm...

Why was the Williams Viola Concerto thread closed???
Is there a new ´boardrule where you can't discuss music you heard at a concert?
________________________________________________________________________________
Brink: I don't care if you have to cut off my hand, just don't leave me to die here!
Maggie Robbins: Don't be so dramatic Brink; nobody is going to cut off your hand.
Boston Low: Don't make promises you might not be able to keep Maggie

#115 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20527 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

Closed?

#116 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

It looks open to me.

#117 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hey, I have a quick question.

This is a hilarious cover version of the oldie "Let's Twist Again"!

I have 2 questions:

1. Some parts of it are sung, I believe, in a foreign language. Is it in Polish?

2. At 1:07 the guy starts singing a different song ("laaaa-lalalalalala etc."). It's very short, but recognizable. What is this song called?

:blink:

#118 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21004 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

1. Some parts of it are sung, I believe, in a foreign language. Is it in Polish?

I assume it's Polish, because the uploader, pajczukin, says he's 28 from Poland. There are Poles here who can confirm.

2. At 1:07 the guy starts singing a different song ("laaaa-lalalalalala etc."). It's very short, but recognizable. What is this song called?

Crocodile Rock, by Elton John

It's at 1:07 here, too:
http://www.youtube.c...M...=PL&index=6

#119 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Ahhh yeah, thanks!

Strangely enough, I never heard this song "Crocodile Rock," although the lalala part was familiar to me. Huh.

#120 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Does anyone have a WAV or mp3 of George Takei saying "OH MY!"? I've tried googling but come up short.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users