Photo

What is the last Television series you watched?

TV Talk

• Please log in to reply
6595 replies to this topic

#961 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17432 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

So... Did anyone watch one or both versions of The Borgias (either the american and/or the french/german one)?

Some say it's better than The Tudors.

(I'm doing all I can here, Cremers!)

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#962 Elmo Lewis

Elmo Lewis

Relatively respectable citizen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6139 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Eh ... the shows you people are watching ... bring back Morlock!

Morlock loves Community as well, Alex. And I watched 300 the other day and agree 100% with you.

So I can't be wrong.
"We’re flawed because we want so much more. We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."

#963 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9711 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Currently on Cosmos, and waiting for the sequel with Neil D Tyson!

#964 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5899 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Tyson is one of the most engaging and interesting people out there. I wasn't aware he was doing a Cosmos update. That will be cool.

#965 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16117 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Very entertaining.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#966 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29676 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

It is. It's completely pointless, yet amusingly worthwhile.

#967 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32645 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Saw the trailer for that, looked entertaining. I thought it was a film though?
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#968 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9645 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

I've been watching the first few episodes of Arrested Development. Maybe I was caught in a bad time, but I'm not getting what's suposed to be so good about this show. Perhaps the next episodes will vindicate its fame
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#969 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16117 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Actually the version I saw was a film. It has some footage missing from the show.\

It is. It's completely pointless, yet amusingly worthwhile.

Exactly.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#970 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70671 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

Its a 6 part tv series. A edited down version was released in cinemas in the us.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#971 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

Eh ... the shows you people are watching ... bring back Morlock!

Morlock loves Community as well, Alex. And I watched 300 the other day and agree 100% with you.

So I can't be wrong.

Interesting. Then I must check it out.

(Although there are 2 different kind of fans of 300, those who see the beauty and expression (the stimuli that forms the experience), and those (a much larger group) who say: "Cool, they fight and there's blood everywhere!")

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#972 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

Normally I'm a bit of both, but in the case of 300 I'm definitely the latter.

Not really a fan of the Sky Captain look.

#973 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

I don't like Sky Captain. Visual expression and transmission = zero. I'm not against the setup or the production design but in the end everything was pretty bad. It just didn't gel and I think I even stopped watching it. And no, I don't like Spartacus the TV series either. That's a series for the fans of 300 that say: "Hey, they fight and there's blood everywhere!" And the trailer of Tarsem Singh's The Immortals (300 wannabe) tells me I need to avoid this at all costs. Besides of getting it completely right, the 'look' of a film is only one thing. The way it's put on film is another. Blade Runner has a certain distinctive look (futuristic potpourri) which others have tried to copy (or at least partially) but they always miss the mark. No, the thing I'm talking about is just as much there in Watchmen as it is in 300 or in Scott's first feature films (and no, Thor, not in Body Of Lies ;) ).

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#974 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21074 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Episode 13 of BSG, Colonial Day, introduces a new character to run against Tom Zarek for the vice presidency. President Roslin commends him as being someone who has held the fleet together all this time.

Have I been asleep for the past 12 episodes, but who is this guy and why haven't I seen him until now?

#975 Richard

Richard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5574 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

Does anybody watch "Rev."? If so, what do they think?

#976 Elmo Lewis

Elmo Lewis

Relatively respectable citizen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6139 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

(Although there are 2 different kind of fans of 300, those who see the beauty and expression (the stimuli that forms the experience), and those (a much larger group) who say: "Cool, they fight and there's blood everywhere!")

Well, the violence is pretty well executed, but I'm the first kind of fan.

Also, watch Community.
"We’re flawed because we want so much more. We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."

#977 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Recently, I've bought the X-Files: The Complete Collection (all 9 seasons + the 1998 movie). Currently, I'm near the end of the first season. What a great feeling, watching this great series again after 15 years, give or take a few, and remembering a character or a plot every now and then - the first episode with Tooms still managed to scare the living daylights out of me! :D

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#978 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9533 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm still with Terra Nova, which while not a great show, is interesting enough to stick with it. The sfx are a mixed bag and some of the stories are a bit lame, but it's still enjoyable.

And I've started following Once Upon a Time. Again, not anything that great, but the premise is quite interesting and I like Jennifer Morrison is well cast as the lead.

We also continue with House, which hasn't yet jumped the shark. It's really only dull if the weekly case(s) isn't that interesting. (spoiler for those who aren't up to date with the states)
Spoiler

#979 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 3, final episode.

Our living room erupted into hilarious laughter for five minutes none stop during the finale in the restaurant. Fucking comedy gold, oh deary me. My eyes are still watering, me and my girl have never laughed together so much. Genius.

#980 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32645 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Have you only watched seasons one through three?
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#981 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Yes. We'll start S4 tomorrow night most likely.

#982 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32645 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Well you're in for some big laughs throughout the rest of the series. Enjoy!

#983 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

Glad to hear it, because other than the odd laugh here and there, Larry is up to now (in season 3) turning more and more into a miserable twat with fewer and fewer redeeming features.

#984 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 36128 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

The first 3 seasons are easily the worst of the entire series. You're just about to enter an era of pure gold

0N4P3tb.jpg

#985 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Really?! Ooo shit!

My mouth is watering at such a prospect (in no way would I ever call seasons 1-3 bad).

#986 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 36128 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Just wait till Leon is introduced in season 6!

Mel Brook's play in Season 5!

The Seinfeld Reunion in Season 7!

0N4P3tb.jpg

#987 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32645 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:26 AM

Which season is "The Doll" in? That's one of my favorite episodes.

#988 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

I finally finished all 275 episodes of Cheers. It was probably one of the most satisfying series finales that I have seen.

Last line of the show, "I'm sorry we're closed." I'm pretty sure that was the only time those words were said on the show. Then Sam goes and fixes Coach's photo, good stuff!

#989 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 36128 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Which season is "The Doll" in? That's one of my favorite episodes.

Season 2

0N4P3tb.jpg

#990 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70671 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

The pilot for House MD.

As pilots go it gets the job done very well. It sets up the premise of the show and shows us the mian characters. Good thing is that Hugh Laurie is immediately spot on as House. The character is a joy to watch. The rest of the cast struggle though. Omar epps has not found his character yet, and seems to just be reading his lines at times. Lisa Edelstein is hot as Cuddy.

Directed by Brian Singer and it shows. Far more cinematic then what would be the norm in the series, and with more dramatic music. but the colorgrading is really weird. Thankfully the show looks more natural.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#991 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

New HBO TV series from Michael Mann and David Milch (Deadwood):

Alex

#992 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70671 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Sad to see Hoffman's once great career declining to the point that he has do to television work.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#993 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Well, it's a changed world now Steef, TV is where the good parts are these days. I'm sure that's why Dustin is doing it.

#994 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70671 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Really? Is that why Larry Fishburne did CSI? Is that why Christian Slater has his own TV show?

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#995 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I'm talking quality TV, Steef.

Sigh.

#996 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70671 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Quality TV is maybe 5 % of everything what's being made.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#997 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32645 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Has anyone watched American Horror Story? A friend at work told me the writing level was up there with LOST and it got me curious. The premise turns me off, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

#998 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20784 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Quality TV is maybe 5 % of everything what's being made.

So? Don't you think actors have noticed shows like Rome, The Wire, The Sopranos or Six Feet under? And I know Mad Men is the new show to like if you want to show people you got great taste. TV is the new medium if you want to see superb characters and dialogue. With the credentials like the ones I mentioned, there's nothing to be embarrassed about doing TV anymore. I'm afraid that you're still living in the days of The A-Team, Steef.

Sigh ...

#999 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29676 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

TV, specifically the American stuff, has me enthralled lately. Mad Men is my current flavour of the month, it's more than tiding me over till Game of Thrones returns.

Plus we watch a Curb every night.

#1000 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16117 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Mad Men is my current favour of the month.

And?

Karol
Films On Wax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users