Photo

What is the last Television series you watched?

TV Talk

• Please log in to reply
6024 replies to this topic

#1081 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28235 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

The last scene at the door with Susie was punch the air satisfying. I laughed like Bruce Campbell did when his severed hand got caught in the mousetrap, it was that good.
Posted Image

#1082 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34011 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

:lol: I am smiling just remembering it

But I like the Season 7 finale more

#1083 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Ooo, now I'm intrigued. But I'll be genuinely impressed if they can manage THREE barnstorming finales. I don't think they can.
Posted Image

#1084 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5362 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hung is also very good, I'm so bummed they didn't renew it. The season 3 finale was a non-finale!

Boardwalk Empire only works if you watch every episode in order. Otherwise nothing will make sense

But if it does, it's a hell of a saga. Think of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA spun over 30 hours.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#1085 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17177 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have been having a Jeeves and Wooster marathon this week. Despite the very repetive plot lines, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry keep the show alive and oh so funny. The upper classes, as exaggerated as their foibles might be in the show, give endless amount of opporturnities for lampoon.The rather sorry line of hapless loons, excentrics, lovelorn men and women and aristocratic fops dancing around Bertie Wooster, Bertie getting embroiled in plots for money or acceptance of marriage or trying himself to avoid imbending doom of marriage (usually arranged by aunt Agatha) offers great comedy in classic British fashion. The main pair could not have been chosen better, Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude, Fry as the ever stone faced yet suave butler with perfect diction working brilliantly. I also love the production values and again the way they create the time and place of manor halls, luxurious flats and other haunts of the upper classes in the beginning of the century through to 1940's, the world a mix of different decades.

The cast is excellent, playing their roles at times with exaggerated glee and for their part enforce the spirit of Wodehouse's stories that seem to paint these people with broad strokes, leaving the actors and writers a lot of room to invent all kind of colorful details for their personalities, appearances and manner. The adaptation is done imaginatively, weaving several short stories into unified plots, producing some very succesful plot lines that flow quite naturally from tale to tale. Bertie's near escapes finishing off each episode become a life affirming trope for the show, Jeeves and our befuddled bon vivant driving into the sunset, escaping marriages, aunt Agatha or angry mobs or resolving predicaments and learning some airy light lesson in the process.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#1086 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude,

Before House came along, it was the only role he knew. He literally did the same routine in everything he was in ;)
Posted Image

#1087 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67384 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Indeed. In that way House was a stunning revelation. Not so much because of the flawless American accent, but because Laurie could play someone with a brain.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#1088 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32031 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hung is also very good, I'm so bummed they didn't renew it. The season 3 finale was a non-finale!

Boardwalk Empire only works if you watch every episode in order. Otherwise nothing will make sense

But if it does, it's a hell of a saga. Think of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA spun over 30 hours.

I think Once Upon A Time In America is great just the way it is, at 4 hours.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#1089 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17177 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude,

Before House came along, it was the only role he knew. He literally did the same routine in everything he was in ;)

Yeah that was a bit the case. But I think Bertie Wooster is the epitome of this particular style and really fits the character like a glove. Especially his eyes bulging with disbelief and horror are so funny And funnily Fry and Laurie reminisced in a recent documentary how Laurie gets so beaten up in all these comedic roles. As Fry put it, people just love to beat the crap out of him. :lol:

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#1090 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2266 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

I think Once Upon A Time In America is great just the way it is, at 4 hours.

This.
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#1091 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34011 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Boardwalk Empire is nothing like Once Upon A Time In America

#1092 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67384 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

It more then 26 hours longer, for one thing.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#1093 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19818 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I hope it's better.
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#1094 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32031 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Better than Leone? Surely you must be joking? ;)
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#1095 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Once Upon a Time was good, but I thought it was one of his more melodramatic and bloated movies. I'd be expecting Boardwalk to be superior.
Posted Image

#1096 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32031 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

You can't beat Leone's eye and Morricone's hand.

#1097 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67384 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I never knew he made a good film after Once Upon A Time In The West....

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#1098 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2266 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

I never knew he made a good film after Once Upon A Time In The West....

Once Upon a Time in the Revolution and America disagree with you...
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#1099 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20513 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

I never knew he made a film after Once Upon A Time In The West....

#1100 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7811 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Anyone watch Mildred Pierce? Its fantastic with some exceptional acting on Kate Winslet's part (as to be expected). Yes, it starts off a bit slow, but the series is so engrossing and engaging in its strong narrative and haunting characters. I love this loyal adaption!

nb6gs9.jpg

#1101 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19818 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Once Upon a Time was good, but I thought it was one of his more melodramatic and bloated movies. I'd be expecting Boardwalk to be superior.

Also, the last segment where all the actors are wearing makeup to look older is so fake. I never like it when actors wear wigs and heavy makeup to look 20 years older. I'm sure there must be some instances when it was done in a believable or convincing way, but personally, I would avoid it like I would avoid filming Star Wars in a forest.

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#1102 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32031 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Back To The Future and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button are the first two to jump to mind.

#1103 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I started watching ER again. Just finished season 1, 14 more to go. It is possibly the best drama of the 90s.

#1104 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5004 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Terra Nova. Started here.

Fits perfectly to the topic: Possibly THE last TV series I watched. Ever.

#1105 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'd look at it as motivation to look for good TV instead.

I'm looking for a fantasy, science-fiction or horror show. I'd like it to have an ambitious story well thought from beginning to end, that isn't looking for political correction, a diverse cast of entertaining characters, good special effects etc. I've already seen Game of Thrones and Firefly. I was thinking on checking out Cowboy Bebop.

#1106 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Chaac, if you have half the taste I think you have, watch Twin Peaks. If your young arse is capable of looking past (and allowing yourself to see the absolute charm in) the dated aesthetics, you won't be disappointed. Three episodes is what it takes to be hooked.

Twin Peaks is so fucking great I've not finished it yet... with just three more episodes to go. I'm delaying The End - because I shall be sad when it's finished.
Posted Image

#1107 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5004 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

But.There.Is.No.End.

You are screwed!!

#1108 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

That's the beauty of it! It's the only show EVER that ends with an ambiguously brilliant finale (boxed off by the painfully tantalising film).

If only tat like Heroes, or Jerico were afforded a similarly rewarding resolution.
Posted Image

#1109 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5004 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Well, in LOST the ending was obscure but I just love the beautiful trip until the anticlimax.

#1110 Richard

Richard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5259 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Recently, I've been convalescing, and I've been watching "The Professionals" on ITV4.
I just love this show: I love it for its look (brown), its production design (brown), and its costume design (brown). It's a snapshot of life in late '70s England, when life was...er...brown! Add to that some wonderful "leave it aaht, guv'nor!" - type lines, and some truly expert direction by a very young Martin Campbell, and you have a very exciting show. Lewis Collins would have made a superb James Bond.

#1111 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20513 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

I watched the pilot to Earth 2 today on Netflix. I know the show was canned and it got really weird towards the end...ok, it got really weird in the pilot with the dream plane being reality...but I vividly remember tuning in each week to watch the show, and I liked it. It filled in the hole in my weekly TV sci-fi craving after TNG ended, and DS9 and B5 were shown too infrequently on the few network stations that I could get.

But I enjoyed this re-watch. Clancy Brown made everything more enjoyable to watch. The little muppet looked fake, but all in all, I think the special effects inside the spaceship and on the planet held up pretty well for the show being almost 18 years old. I could have done without the blatant product placement of the Hummer vehicle they found waiting for them on the planet, but the show had a really good cast and Debra Farentino...fabulously attractive woman. Even the music was very good, and I'd love to get my hands on a promo album. And the closing shot of a devious Tim Curry watching over the party was just awesome.

Just one thing upsets me. The girl who played Clancy Brown's daughter True was a very cute little girl, and I wanted to know why I haven't seen her career advance. She had a heart condition and required a transplant, and ultimately died of a heart attack right before she turned 22. Very sad.

#1112 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Just watched the wheelchair episode of Curb. It's a classic.
Posted Image

#1113 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34011 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

I loved Earth 2 as a kid watchig it live every sunday night at 7. Was sad when it didnt get a second season.

Would be curious to watch it again now and see how I feel about it.

OMG that ep of Curb was hilarious!!

#1114 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17177 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

I seem to be watching more of the old TV series than current ones these days. The only moderns shows I have been watching regularly are The Boardwalk Empire and The Game of Thrones.

#1115 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19818 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

#1116 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67384 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Looks boring.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#1117 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Mmm, I do have to check out Twin Peaks.

#1118 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19818 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Looks boring.

My son would say the same.

#1119 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67384 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Smart kid!

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#1120 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28235 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I've got three episodes left of Twin Peaks (I'm delaying finishing it because I'll be genuinely gutted when it's over). Contender for my favourite show EVER.

Mad Men season 4 is waaaay ahead of me. That's on temp hold as well.

I'm only finding time in the evenings for 30mins of Larry David and Arrested Development.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users