Photo

Were you bullied in school?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Poll: Were you bullied in school? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell the truth!

1. Yes, often. (9 votes [29.03%])

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

2. Yes, sometimes. (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. Yes, but rarely. (9 votes [29.03%])

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

4. No. (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

5. I am ashamed to say this now (or not), but I bullied others. (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

Well?

Option 3 for me. I got bullied, but rarely, and it was never that big a deal.

#2 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Are you or have you ever been bullied on this message board, that would be a tricky question!:lol:

#3 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21036 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Yes, often, but I usually brought it on myself because of a mix of naivete, immaturity, and an arrogant streak that others didn't appreciate. It was big in elementary and middle school, but by high school, it had stopped. Truth be told, I honestly regret not ever kicking the crap out of somebody, to send a message to not piss with me, because if I had to do it over again, I would. Hell, if I could go back in time, I'd kick my own ass just because I deserved it that much.

#4 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29644 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

I voted the last option. However I did get picked on a little myself once or twice, nothing I'd call bullying though. Just boys being boys.

#5 Hitch

Hitch

See it from the beginning.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12135 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

You were always a bully, Quint....even in Sea School.
Posted Image

#6 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Option 3 for me. I got bullied, but rarely, and it was never that big a deal.

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#7 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15268 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

You should have seen me in the gym locker room.

#8 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21036 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'll bite. Why?

#9 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13336 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

Mostly in junior high. There was this one mexican named Johnny Gomez for some reason he thought it would be 'fun' for him and his pals to make my life and my friends life a living hell. All though one day out of the blue during junior high he quit picking on me and from what I understand he met my brother Mike through one of his friends and my brother Mike basically threatened him if any harm came to me he'd kick his ass. My brother Mike is definitely not one person to be messed with, he could pick up a guy like me off their feet. Well of course that was before he injured his back a few years ago.'

Johnny was the type who was a trouble maker in junior high but in high school he did lighten up a bit (as did I).

During high school I mostly kept to myself. I mean I did have some people I hung out with and I did have the usual friends (Kevin, Erik, Joe, Sam and Chris) but that's about it.

I had a class with Johnny during my sophomore year in high school. Him and I kidded around a few times saying we'd kick each others ass but never did anything about it as we were just joking anyways.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#10 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32611 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I had a rather complicated first year 3 years of school. It was like the annoying 2nd grade type bullying: where the kid would tell the teacher on you when you did nothing wrong and they'd believe him.

There was some in 6-8th grade, but then I guess I kinda became a bully a little bit. Middle school was okay I suppose. High school was fine, that's when bullying gets overrated and sad. It's not like Spider-Man where the jock trips the nerd in the lunchroom.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#11 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20547 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

Oh yes.

Now where's that social security number thread?

#12 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15268 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

Here's mine - 666-1889-1946-1961.

#13 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9477 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Bullied others...and got bullied too.

#14 Williamsfan301

Williamsfan301

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

I read an interesting statistic once. 60% of all managers/bosses/etc. were labeled as bullies in school.

Should give you a strong idea of who we work for.

Was I bullied in school? Well, let me put it to you this way. There are only three people in the world I trust anymore: me, my son and my wife.
"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause" - Padme Amidala

#15 Corellian2019

Corellian2019

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

I can't say I was bullied per se during middle school, it was more like I felt bad for not taking interest in the same things and for being less smart than the other kids. Oh, and I hated doing push-up tests in gym class, too.

It got progressively worse in high school, which was dominated mainly by Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and African-Americans (unlike the ethnic variety in J.H.S.), and so I was downright discriminated for my light complexion and style of dressing as opposed to being a dark-skinned Hispanic donning typical gangsta fashion; everyone always assumed I was not one of "them" until I brought the subject up and they would be like, "Oh, you're Spanish? I always thought you were white or Italian (or something)"

#16 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15268 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

I got called a "convict" by all the brown kids.

#17 Melange

Melange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5476 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

You were always a bully, Quint....even in Sea School.

TIE ME A SHEEPSHANK!!! ;)

dominated mainly by Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and African-Americans

Ah, dem multi culturism and multi ethnicity nations. Gotta love em.

#18 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Johnny Gomez is an awesome name.

I was bullied a bit, but not enough to scar me psychologically or make me hate my school years. The teachers did that instead.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#19 Maxxie

Maxxie

Captain Slow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Yes. It got so bad that I had to move schools. But revenge was sweet a few years later..... ;)
Music From The Motion Picture

#20 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9477 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

I read an interesting statistic once. 60% of all managers/bosses/etc. were labeled as bullies in school.

I'm in a management position...

Eek! It's true!

#21 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

I was bullied a bit, but not enough to scar me psychologically or make me hate my school years. The teachers did that instead.

My middle school experience was the equivalent of slavery. Not be disrespectful or anything, and I wouldn't really know what slavery actually feels like, but it was terrible.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#22 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35931 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

I was bullied from time to time, nothing major. I never bullied anyone

0N4P3tb.jpg

#23 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29644 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

My middle school experience was the equivalent of slavery. Not be disrespectful or anything, and I wouldn't really know what slavery actually feels like, but it was terrible.

Sounds like you had a rough time Koray. I hope things are better for you now, indeed this particular outlet for your feelings seems to be largely unhindered :lol:

#24 Hitch

Hitch

See it from the beginning.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12135 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

"Releaseeee yourrr annnggeerrrrrrr........Gooooooooooooooooood"
Posted Image

#25 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29644 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

:lol:

#26 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10716 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

I guess option three for myself. It was mainly in Middle School, I've found that for the most part it doesn't happen that much in High School, or at least it hasn't for me.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#27 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25356 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Love your Avatar Melange, Woooooo Pig Soooiee.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#28 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Sounds like you had a rough time Koray. I hope things are better for you now, indeed this particular outlet for your feelings seems to be largely unhindered :rolleyes:

Well it was like an overall experience rather than a personal one. All my friends and I unanimously agree. The teachers and everyone confined us in anyway possible.

#29 Williamsfan301

Williamsfan301

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Sounds like you had a rough time Koray. I hope things are better for you now, indeed this particular outlet for your feelings seems to be largely unhindered :rolleyes:

Well it was like an overall experience rather than a personal one. All my friends and I unanimously agree. The teachers and everyone confined us in anyway possible.

I refuse to teach middle school. That age group is the worst - hormones are raging and they have absolutely no control over them. I'll take high school over that any day.

#30 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:43 PM

We had all these stupid rules, and not to mention this 2 year (I think) issue I had with the security guy.

#31 Williamsfan301

Williamsfan301

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

We had all these stupid rules, and not to mention this 2 year (I think) issue I had with the security guy.

Such as?

#32 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

In 8th grade they instated this weird system that made sure we did everything "good" as they wanted. Like if we chewed gum or even had it on us, we would get a certain amount of points. If we reached a certain number (don't remember) we wouldn't be able to go on the boat trip at the end of the year. We weren't allowed to wear hats for some reason, and even on hat day the teacher asked me to take it off, just me, for some reason.

#33 Williamsfan301

Williamsfan301

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

That's the dippy "positive reinforcement" crap that is tried in schools now. Problem is, kids don't buy into it. The only thing that stops kids from acting out is to make sure they no you can't pull that off in class. Fear is our ally.

#34 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

But they limited just normal freedom to do what kids do. Seriously no chewing gum or hats? I know there was more. Oh yeah, lunch. Oh man, lunch was effed up. Kids are loud, kids talk with friends while eating. Every day, and I mean every effing day, we'd have the stupid security guy do a retarded count down for all of us to shut up, after which he'd yell at us. Oh no we don't get to go outside today! WTF?

#35 ChrisAfonso

ChrisAfonso

ARRRRR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2691 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

Often in younger years, it got better in the later years. I was basically the cartoon-drawing video-gaming music-making nerd with low social skills, and thus the main target of ridicule. Even those that I'd consider my friends in those days mocked me occasionally. I'd say I surely had a hand in (involuntarily) offering myself as an easy target, but that's beside the point :rolleyes:
"The Imperial March" tells us straight up that Vader is the greatest evil in the universe, and Vader has to choke Imperial officers constantly just to keep up with his theme music. - Cerrabore
---------------------------------
"GLXBLT!" - Hortense McDuck

#36 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

Posted Image

"Nonsense. Where I went to school having dirty hair and spots was a sign of maturity!"
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#37 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

What school did you go to Koray???

Geez.

I will admit junior high isn't the greatest experience in the world for some people. I was somewhat awkward during those years, didn't get bullied but got teased a bit.

But nothing that made me dread going to school.

#38 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

Honestly my middle school/junior high years were mostly close to hell, but I was making the transition from Texas to New Hampshire, which was...rough.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#39 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32611 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

North Bethesda Middle School

My grade stormed through that school :rolleyes: Every year a bunch of teachers we had would leave the school. 8th grade was the worst, but somehow the best in terms of my grades. The end of the year cruise ride on the Potomac River was the last ever they held, because some of the kids threw chairs overboard, and one girl got her earring stuck up her nose and we had to go back temporarily for her to go to the emergency room.

We also had a trip to Boston. Basically the whole grade on a bunch of buses for 10 hours. That was the worst trip I was ever on. It was so stupid and pointless, our tour guide got us lost, and we passed the place where they filmed Cheers like 5 times. The best part was being left alone to ourselves in the hotel rooms.

#40 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

No. Well, maybe a bit in elementary school, because my English was terrible, but that is about it. I am actually one of the more popular kids at my high school.
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users