6. Science And Religion (12:27)
7. Immolation (3:38)
8. Election By Adoration (2:12)
9. 503 (2:14)

May 19

Night At The Museum: Battle Of The Smithsonian
Music Composed and Conducted by Alan Silvestri

No Tracklist yet

I will likely buy all of these, despite the disappointingly short albums for Wolverine and Star Trek (although, maybe that's a reflection of how much music is in the picture).

This piece is about the push and pull of the orchestra. Everyone playing together, making it work, finding out what the important bits are...Of course, we all know that's the trombone part...

#2 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

That's the first time we've seen track times for Trek. What's your source, Matt? I assume the asterisks are for cues with the Courage fanfare.

EDIT- That can't be right, I'm adding it up to less than 40 minutes!
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#3 MattyO

MattyO

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

The Wolverine and Trek albums are up on Varese's home page (track times as well as cover art). I don't know what to think of the Trek art work. The Zimmer one came from Hans-Zimmer.com and perhaps is not accurate.

I know, it's a damn short album, like the old days of Varese releases! Wolverine isn't much better.
This piece is about the push and pull of the orchestra. Everyone playing together, making it work, finding out what the important bits are...Of course, we all know that's the trombone part...

#4 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, that's what Varese has got. That almost physically hurts, unless it's a really, really short score.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#5 MattyO

MattyO

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

It's not usual for a Giacchino release either. Maybe Abrams has opted for less music for this film.

#6 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

They chose the best poster for the cover though. The score is about 45 minutes. I'll be getting all of these, except replace Night At The Museum with Lost S4.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#7 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

I can't wait for Angels and Demons. The only other one I'll get is Star Trek. Sucks about the 50 minute album.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#8 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:27 AM

I can't wait for Angels and Demons.

His only score for the year, so you better make it last! ;)
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#9 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

I can't wait for Angels and Demons.

His only score for the year, so you better make it last! ;)

As a John Williams fan, I've mastered that skill.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#10 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

The only other one I'll get is Star Trek. Sucks about the 50 minute album.

More like 40, with a near 10 minute end credits piece.

Now Trek is traditionally more sparsely scored than, say, Star Wars. All the complete Trek scores other than TMP and Nemesis fit on one disk (and Nemesis almost does). But that's still a really short OST.

#11 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:34 AM

It's Varese, they tend to have shorter releases.

#12 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13329 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:44 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned the different cover art for what Varese actually has up compared to Amazon.de. I wonder if what's on Amazon is truly fan made. The art work on Varese' site is much better. Still not too fond of the TNG font.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#13 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

Amazon.com and Varese have the same.

#14 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13329 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

Ya but Amazon.de had a different cover.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#15 QuestionMarkMan

QuestionMarkMan

Morning sir, sighting in heavy fog.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5378 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

I'm disappointed by the track time for Star Trek but then again Lost S4 is coming out on the same day
Posted Image

#16 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

No it's not. It comes out the week after.

#17 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

Do you really think that many people go to Amazon.de to check score art? It definitely seems fan made, as it seems useless to have different artworks for different regions.

Either way, its weird that Trek and Wolverine are as short as they are.

#18 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13329 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

Star Trek runs 42:14. Ya they could have filled up the CD for 75 minutes of music but the reuse fees probably hampered that and supposedly Giacchnio is picky about what's released. The 42 minutes of music is enough for me for that film.

GAC2.jpg

#19 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:22 AM

None of these.
REJECTED FILM SCORES SITE
Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes! First chance i get."
-The Prisoner-

PLEASE NOTE: I don't sell CD-Rs, or trade MP3s -- do NOT contact me asking for those; I also don't do downloading/uploading. Just trade, CD-Rs.

#20 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9635 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:38 AM

Public Enemies.

Still curious about what Horner will do with Avatar. He sure has had quite a lot time to write that score.
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#21 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:38 AM

Star Trek runs 42:14. Ya they could have filled up the CD for 75 minutes of music but the reuse fees probably hampered that and supposedly Giacchnio is picky about what's released. The 42 minutes of music is enough for me for that film.

I never really heard that Giacchino was picky. Incredibles had 55 minutes of music, Speed Racer was at an hour, and MI3 had a the complete score on the CD. I think this is just Varese being skimpy on the release. Unfortunate, as I enjoy Giacchino's work and was hoping for a more complete feel. If this is all the music that is in the film, the sound editor better be damn good.

EDIT: crap...it's Ben Burtt.

#22 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

Burtt was just brought on to provide some effects work, he's not involved in the final mix.

#23 ST-321

ST-321

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1187 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:07 AM

Burtt was just brought on to provide some effects work, he's not involved in the final mix.

Good.

I'll be getting Trek for sure. I don't see lost Season 4 over at Amazon. Am I just missing it?
Visible Suns - My Astronomy Blog

#24 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

I don't see lost Season 4 over at Amazon. Am I just missing it?

Yeah they don't have the correct information put in for it. I submitted a report with the proper changes.

Here is the page.

#25 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20527 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

Do you really think that many people go to Amazon.de to check score art?

People from Germany, perhaps?

Amarok can fetch its covers from several Amazon sites, sometimes when I can't find decent scans on .com I have it check the German site, and occasionally it gives better results.

as it seems useless to have different artworks for different regions.

It happens though.

#26 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17866 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

I'm still on the fence about getting Star Trek.

Lost: Season 4 is a purchase though, without a doubt.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#27 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

I'm going to get Star Trek, although I wish it were longer. I'll listen to the samples of Wolverine before deciding on that.

I suppose after that it'll be Avatar. Let's hope Cameron has inspired Horner to write something a bit more in tune with his older stuff, or at the very least something a bit inspired.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#28 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29614 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

If ever a Cameron movie was to mark the return of Brad Fiedel, then Avatar is surely it.

#29 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9530 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

The only one out of these three that I will definitely investigate is Angels. I've recently 'rediscovered' Da Vinci and I love it.

Wolverine could be good, depending on how techno/modern he's gone, and Star Trek will probably just be a curiosity for me.

Re. Avatar, I've heard that Horner's had like a year to write this one. I think it could be good.

#30 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32583 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Rich, Harry went pretty much all orchestral for Wolverine, so I've heard and read. He tends to keep is heavy synth work for Tony Scott, which I love. The Taking Of Pelham 123 should be good.

#31 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20444 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

and MI3 had a the complete score on the CD

Mmmm, no. Ot at least that is what i always thought...

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#32 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4713 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

The Wolverine and Trek albums are up on Varese's home page (track times as well as cover art). I don't know what to think of the Trek art work. The Zimmer one came from Hans-Zimmer.com and perhaps is not accurate.

I know, it's a damn short album, like the old days of Varese releases! Wolverine isn't much better.

What is the picture in your atavar and do you have a HR version of it?

#33 MattyO

MattyO

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

It's just a random trombone player wallpaper, I think that's what I searched in Google images. I'm a trombone player, so that's the long and short of it. It's a nice pic though.

#34 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4713 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

It's just a random trombone player wallpaper, I think that's what I searched in Google images. I'm a trombone player, so that's the long and short of it. It's a nice pic though.

Yeah I figured. Sure it's a cool pic!

#35 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Perhaps Giacchino didn't over score the film and provided a short, yet effective score. Or perhaps Paramount was aking too much for the rights and Varese had no choice but to issue only 42 minutes.

I'll be getting Star Trek, Lost Season 4 and possibly Night At The Museum 2. The first score was a pleasant listen.

As far as a different cover appearing on Amazon.de, the European cover could be different than the US version, it's happened before.

#36 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

There are couple of scores I really look forward to this year. Apart from Star Trek and Angels and Demons there will be Danny's Terminator:Salvation, Powell's Green Zone, Horner's Avatar, Goldenthal's Public Enemies and, out of curiosity, Hooper's Harry Potter.

#37 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35756 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

Nobody seems to be that excited for Up and Land of the Lost!

0N4P3tb.jpg

#38 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Gah, I forgot about SALVATION. Not even sure who's scoring UP, although Pixar always makes good choices. I have no interest in LAND OF THE LOST the film, but I'm sure it'll be a decent Giacchino. It's not something that's on my radar though.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#39 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20527 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

I'll get the Giacchinos, and I'm curious to see how A&D turns out. And of course I'm always interested in new Goldenthal.

#40 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35756 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Not even sure who's scoring UP

Giacchino

0N4P3tb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Score Talk

0 user(s) are reading this topic