1100 replies to this topic

#41 Jay

Jay

Supreme Something Something

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32072 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Did you really just erase all the posts that mentioned what the next two FSM releases are? What's the point? Once its out there, it's out there. Erasing the posts won't change the fact that it's now known what they are

#42 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Did you really just erase all the posts that mentioned what the next two FSM releases are? What's the point? Once its out there, it's out there. Erasing the posts won't change the fact that it's now known what they are

why was it known?

is it on any other boards, where people can instantly read it? or were you the only one - and only a coupple of people could see it.
________________________________________________________________________________
Brink: I don't care if you have to cut off my hand, just don't leave me to die here!
Maggie Robbins: Don't be so dramatic Brink; nobody is going to cut off your hand.
Boston Low: Don't make promises you might not be able to keep Maggie

#43 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

FSM has explained several times why they're so secretive about their releases: there's always the possibility a deal falls through at the last minute.

There's a reason there's a date for their announcement and effective immediately, if any of this cover art (or the title) leaks out before a release date it will be removed from this site.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#44 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32072 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Well, for those of you who missed it, the next 2 FSM CDs are known, but the big summer "holy grail" release is still a mystery.

I hope it's Gremlins!!

#45 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25502 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

FSM has explained several times why they're so secretive about their releases: there's always the possibility a deal falls through at the last minute.

yeah ,but that's their problem if it got leaked anyways . I dunno about erasing posts like that ,especially since it's not even anything illegal... We are not affiliated with FSM as far as I know of so your just making a personal call here

It would be like erasing the spoilers to a movie just because you feel like it

#46 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4786 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Then they shouldn't upload the stuff on a public server. Period.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#47 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thats true, Jason did not do anything forbidden. It was an open link, reachable for anybody.
________________________________________________________________________________
Brink: I don't care if you have to cut off my hand, just don't leave me to die here!
Maggie Robbins: Don't be so dramatic Brink; nobody is going to cut off your hand.

#48 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19832 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

True. But just because they make stupid mistakes doesn't mean we have to make it worse. It's us who want to get their releases, after all.

#49 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

True. But just because they make stupid mistakes doesn't mean we have to make it worse. It's us who want to get their releases, after all.

that's also true of course.

#50 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

I wouldn't even know what was missing from the Hook OST, apart from the End Credits.......

A lot.

LOL. Yeah. It'd be great to see this from FSM in the not-too-distant-future.

And John, I freakin' love your signature.

#51 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31084 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:28 AM

Someone want to PM me the next FSM releases?

I've never heard the Gremlins theme, but I'm guessing it must be good because nearly everyone on here loves it! :)

I present to you: The Gremlin Rag
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#52 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Is that one of the highlights of the score? If so, then I do not think I will be buying a Gremlins CD if it was ever released. But hey, more for you guys, right?
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#53 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

I wouldn't mind Gremlins, as I used to love the Gremlins theme long before I ever got interested in film music. Its so 80s and yet so perfect. Probably would be more of a nostalgia buy than anything.

#54 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31084 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:55 AM

Is that one of the highlights of the score? If so, then I do not think I will be buying a Gremlins CD if it was ever released. But hey, more for you guys, right?

Yes, it is the theme everyone knows and loves! You listened to the whole thing, right? Cause it starts of slow and quiet.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#55 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

Oh, I listened to all four minutes or so of it, the "slow and quiet" beginning was my favorite part. I am not sure if I should mention this, but I am beginning to think I am not really a fan of Jerry Goldsmith (though I do love The Omen).
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#56 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31084 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

I only like a handful of his scores.

Off the top of my head: Gremlins, Dennis The Menace, Great Train Robbery, The Edge, Congo, The Mummy, Air Force One, Chinatown, Under Fire.

#57 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

And John, I freakin' love your signature.

Of course, after all you're a reasonable, intelligent, all-around good fellow with great taste. :)

I can't believe there are people here that are basically willing to just spit in FSM's face when they do so much for us.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#58 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

Sometimes a little common sense and courtesy is all it takes.

#59 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19814 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

I'll be courteous by deleting what I had written here. No sense whining like a little girl about two albums I probably won't want anyways.

#60 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:56 AM

Speculating is one thing, deliberately posting future release info discovered through nefarious means that they want to keep secret until they announce it for various legitimate reasons is another thing entirely.

Should FSM do more to keep things they want secret secret? Absolutely! But that doesn't excuse it.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#61 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Speculation is completely different because you have no idea if you are right or wrong. The labels give you clues and people have fun with it.

And while the labels should probably find a better way to store their images it's plain rude to post something you had no hand in working on especially when it's not ready to be announced yet.

#62 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19814 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

Never mind.

#63 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

Well given the hard work and money these labels sink into bringing us this music I would thnk people would be a little more respectful and courteous.

But hey whatever floats your boat I guess.

#64 Trent Bennett

Trent Bennett

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12990 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

Speculating is one thing, deliberately posting future release info discovered through nefarious means that they want to keep secret until they announce it for various legitimate reasons is another thing entirely.

Should FSM do more to keep things they want secret secret? Absolutely! But that doesn't excuse it.

Agreed, if FSM doesn't want the stuff to leak out before hand they need to quit putting the art work up on their servers before the releases. I also agree people shouldn't post the information before the release.
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name......Enterprise." - Captain Picard

#65 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19832 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

One of them. The synth stuff may take a little getting used to, but there's great stuff in the score. For the rag, I much prefer the sequel version. There's only a brief bit at the end of this video, but it also includes the brilliant Pot Luck (nearly full length, too).

#66 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25502 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

While i consider Gremlins a classic 80's score ...Gremlins 2 is little more than a coaster for me (the opening track is good )

#67 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3203 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Oh, I listened to all four minutes or so of it, the "slow and quiet" beginning was my favorite part. I am not sure if I should mention this, but I am beginning to think I am not really a fan of Jerry Goldsmith (though I do love The Omen).

I'm not really fan of him either, just some select scores. However I do completely respect the work he has done and his unique voice in the industry.

#68 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25502 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I love some of Goldsmith scores, he's one of the reasons I'm a film music fan. But I've said it many times ,not all this scores are great and I just don't get people falling over themselves over something like Runaway , The Cassandra Crossing and Extreme Prejudice (and dozens of other ones) . I think the attention he's getting from the labels is disproportionate to the actual quality of the music

Williams is the ONLY composer I think every note should be released

#69 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31084 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Gidget Goes To Rome shouldn't be released!

#70 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I love some of Goldsmith scores, he's one of the reasons I'm a film music fan. But I've said it many times ,not all this scores are great and I just don't get people falling over themselves over something like Runaway , The Cassandra Crossing and Extreme Prejudice (and dozens of other ones) . I think the attention he's getting from the labels is disproportionate to the actual quality of the music

That has to be one of the most ignorant and mis-informed statements posted here.

Not everything Williams touches is great either.

If you want to criticize his works fine but perhaps you should stop there.

#71 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5551 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

If you want to criticize his works fine but perhaps you should stop there.

I'm sure KM will heed your call, and all will be right with the world.

#72 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Don't take those odds to Vegas.

#73 Jacob

Jacob

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

I can't believe there are people here that are basically willing to just spit in FSM's face when they do so much for us.

Seems more like FSM shooting themselves in the foot.

#74 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4786 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

And even with Williams your interest level comes to a screeching halt if the work in question does not waddle in certain narrowly defined musical parameters, read easily identifiable Hollywoodized harmonies and tunes.

As André Previn put it in his bio, 'No Minor Chords', indeed!
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#75 Trent Bennett

Trent Bennett

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12990 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

That can go both ways too for Williams. Not everyone thinks all of Williams' works are a master piece. Hell I don't think not every one of Goldsmith's works are master pieces but I do prefer him over Williams'. Only the 'hardcore fanboys' think that everything Williams' writes is a master piece.

Plus not everything from Williams will get released, at least while he's still alive.
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name......Enterprise." - Captain Picard

#76 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Well Williams has nixed a release of The Sugarland Express, which is a shame because it's the first film with Spielberg. But again, if you look at Williams' discography you will see he was pretty much the first composer to have expanded scores released and he is well represented on CD.

I mean look at it this way, Williams assembles and records cues especially for the original E.T. album. Goldsmith scores Gremlins and can only get 16 minutes of score on the album.

#77 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9305 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

I've never been a fan of Goldsmith; I guess his style just doesn't work for me, and I don't like the way he uses synths.

Sure, I like a selection - 13th Warrior, The Mummy, The Edge and some of his Trek music, but he isn't a composer I get excited over. I even bought his 40 Years compilation over Christmas in an attempt to get more acquainted with his music. I liked most of the first CD but then my interest started to taper.

And I think I've ascertained that the next 2 FSMs are LP reissues, so I can probably give them a miss.

#78 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25502 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

Only a proper stereo release of Family Plot can bring balance to the universe.

#79 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

I've never been a fan of Goldsmith; I guess his style just doesn't work for me, and I don't like the way he uses synths.

I highly recommend Runaway and Alien Nation, two of Goldsmith's orchestral masterpieces of the 80's.

#80 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5551 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

I highly recommend Runaway and Alien Nation, two of Goldsmith's orchestral masterpieces of the 80's.

I don't like the way he uses musical instruments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Label Threads, Film Score Monthly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users