The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Now Intrada, since you are re-releasing things, could you re-release Indy Box Set with complete scores in it? Pretty please!

I wouldn't count on that...

Humour. A difficult concept.

:P

Seriously have you guys seen the bitching over at FSM? They've amassed 3 long pages of complaining in one day.

You just can't win with these people. They moaned about Predator being limited to 3000 (I remember Clemmenson's huge rant) and some 'questionable' edits, and now that Intrada's going to correct that and make it more available, they bitch again! And if they'd done a straight reissue, still more people would complain that they don't listen to their customers. Meh.

I'm glad it's going to be available again, at a reasonable price. Saves me the money from obtaining a overpriced copy on eBay.

Has anyone picked up Sir Gawain? I'm listening to the samples over and over, trying to decide if I want to take the plunge. The music sounds wonderful.

Roger:

I do want to clarify one point, since I'm the one wheeling and dealing and negotiating deals, I take responsibility for the PREDATOR reissue. Obviously everyone involved is very supportive, but the demand actually comes from me, since I wasn't comfortable with the overnight sell out, and this one in particular bothered me. While we were at it, we made some adjustments to the people who wanted to hear it a specific way. Personally, I prefer our first release as a listening experience, so not to disparage the new one, the Special Collection is more musical (and actually benefits from not having the additional music added), so I find it the superior presentation. Although, I will probably create a shorter program for myself anyway, as the entire score is a long haul!

But I hope everyone buys the new one because it's time to upgrade the Jaguar I bought with the proceeds from the first edition.

Seriously, I understand some people are upset by this, but keep some perspective. It's just a CD. I'd rather talk about the scary trend of women's rights backsliding in America out of the blue. But NOT here. This is a film music forum.

This is only the 3rd time I can remember flat out saying exactly what a release is before the release day (the other two being Star Trek VI and Robocop)

I give kudos to Roger for making amends with this and releasing the proper version for those of us who prefer the correct presentation.

To those that have been complaining about this release, well I say let them. IF they're happy with the original Intrada issue, then fine but they don't need to piss on those of us who prefer a correct version.

I'll chuck my original version of the Intrada set. However, I'll keep my Varèse edition for historical reasons.

I'd rather talk about the scary trend of women's rights backsliding in America out of the blue.

They are? I've been a bit out of the loop lately.

Without wishing to get political, look up 'war on women' and 'Rush Limbaugh'.

I don't get why people (not here on JWfan) are complaining so much...I'll take multiple releases of a score anytime. If a great score gets a re-release with some improvements, I'll buy it.

The people who complain probably feel like the limited edition soundtrack album industry is twisting our arms in an attempt to make us buy every release that piques our interest, which of course it's not. If you don't want the album, walk away and enjoy what you have.

They may complain because they shelled out hundreds for an Intrada or Varese limited edition album after the sell-outs, and now they feel like the darn fools they really are that others can pick it up unlimited in the $20-$30 price range.

Or they stocked up on a dozen of either edition, intending to sell them for a markup much higher than face value, and this reissue eats into their speculative profit margin.

I've always thought that if a customer buys more than a few copies, their real intentions become clear.

But since they could order from multiple retailers, you can't really stop the profiteers.

I may skip this release and wait for the next reissue in two years.

That has to be the most retarded post I've read from you in a while. The Predator release is an MAF release, meaning it's unlimited. I really doubt it's going to come out again in 2 years.

That has to be the most retarded post I've read from you in a while. The Predator release is an MAF release, meaning it's unlimited. I really doubt it's going to come out again in 2 years.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7476/.f

Price: $19.99

PREDATOR

Label: Intrada MAF 7118

Date: 1987

Tracks: 20

Time = 76:05

Ok! You spoke... we listened! Completely re-mastered release of complete Alan Silvestri soundtrack for John McTiernan alien action movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger comes as both licensor (20th Century Fox) and composer seek re-release of wildly popular score to wider market. You asked for every drop of blood, we now give it to you. New CD restores tiny bits edited from earlier issue, removes select crossfades, includes brief cue "The Aftermath" prior to "End Credits". CD plays in chronological order as originally scored by composer. Silvestri's incredibly muscular score is dynamite example of scoring via small motifs. Rhythmic punctuation in low brass, melded with busy percussion figures, creates incredibly terse, aggressive foundation for melodic ideas in strings, upper brass. Another cool idea has heroic musical signature for Schwarzenegger anchoring score yet almost all motifs, ideas are rooted in minor harmonies, not the expected major. Resulting music remains grim, tough, violent throughout! Intrada MAF series release with modest enhancement to original graphic design by Joe Sikoryak plus reprise of informative liner notes from Julie Kirgo. Alan Silvestri conducts.

01. Fox Logo (Alfred Newman/Arranged by Elliot Goldenthal 1992) 0:26

02. Main Title 3:52

03. Something Else/ Cut 'Em Down/ Payback Time 7:37

04. The Truck 4:23

05. Jungle Trek 1:48

06. Girl's Escape 5:59

07. Blain's Death 0:47

08. What Happened? 2:01

09. He's My Friend 1:26

10. We're Gonna Die 3:29

11. Building The Trap 3:06

12. The Waiting 3:27

13. Can You See Him? 4:52

14. Dillon's Death 2:05

15. Billy And Predator 2:36

16. Dutch Builds Trap 9:29

17. Predator Injured 4:15

18. Hand To Hand Combat 3:10

19. Predator's Death 3:43

20. The Aftermath / The Pick-Up And End Credits 7:01

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7473/.f

Price: $19.99

ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD, THE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 193

Date: 1974

Tracks: 20

Time = 47:44

At last! World premiere release of exciting, melodic large-scale orchestral score by Maurice Jarre for Robert Stevenson action fantasy from Walt Disney Pictures, starring David Hartman, Jacques Marin, Mako. Jarre opens with heroic minor-key fanfare-theme for French horns, trumpets, then moves into soaring melodic territory representing fanciful flying machine in flight. Discovery of ancient Viking civilization, subsequent battles, raging volcano all inspire composer to create one of the most colorful, exciting scores of his prolific, award-laden career. Standing out amidst the excitement is extremely moving, gentle theme for Donald, lost son of businessman that plays at heart of fanciful tale. Haunting theme is one of composer's finest! Intrada CD presents complete score in dynamic stereo, newly mixed from original multi-track session masters vaulted in beautiful condition in Disney vaults. Colorful graphic design from Joe Sikoryak plus liner notes from Jeff Bond complete handsome package. Maurice Jarre conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Title & Theme 2:38

02. We're Under Way 1:46

03. The Dirigible 3:12

04. Full Speed 0:53

05. Traveling 5:19

06. Oomiak Is Trapped 2:02

07. Follow It 2:14

08. The Storm 1:43

09. They Start the Trek 1:50

10. Donald's House 1:40

11. We Know Donald 2:11

12. The Viking City 2:26

13. The Chase 4:34

14. In the Volcano 2:08

15. Burning Lava 1:56

16. Escape Through the Ice Palace 1:58

17. Battle with the Sea Beasts 2:36

18. Flyin' Without Engine 2:41

19. God's Punishment 1:45

20. Happy Ending 1:25

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys! We get lots of requests for people's favorite Disney titles, holy grails and whatnot. Condorman this, In Search Of Noah's Ark that, The Black Cauldron this, True Life Adventures that... you get the idea.

If it'll help satisfy your cravings... enjoy knowing we love the same scores you do and we're working on them. And it's all because our partners at Disney are being generous in letting us all finally have "the stuff dreams are made". (A little Bogart quote.) For me, it's like throwing a dart just to see where it hits. The Disney vaults are packed with all sorts of childhood favorites. And grownup favorites, too! I'm literally a kid in a candy store right now. But we're moving as quickly as we can. Some projects require an extensive amount of research, others need a lot of transferring, mixing and assembly. Fortunately, Disney has always been proactive at vaulting and protecting their music, be it old or new, so realizing these dreams is actually possible.

Let's face it. All of this is beyond anything we all could have imagined. Having Randy Thornton for a partner is nirvana, too. His list of favorites is just like yours and ours. Roger, Joe and I were sitting with him in his studio a few weeks ago watching him and his engineer tackle one of the holy grails we've all been asking for. It was a joy to see how much passion he has for this stuff. Yep. He's one of us!

So things are happening. In fact, besides the Jarre disc that just came out, we have two more Disney releases coming up very soon. I think both are real gems.

What a great time to be a soundtrack collector!

--Doug

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4685&start=15

Sounds exciting!

I've loved Randy Thornton for years. He's done truly phenomenal work getting vintage Disney material out there, both from films and from the parks. His "Musical History of Disneyland" and "1964 World's Fair" boxed sets were masterstrokes.

I may skip this release and wait for the next reissue in two years.

Humour. A very difficult concept...

It means they are working with an employee at Disney who wants all the same scores released we do, and its only a matter of time until they all come out.

It means they are working with an employee at Disney who wants all the same scores released we do, and its only a matter of time until they all come out.

Yes. Not necessarily *all* of them though. But at least a lot.

6293940090_daf91b7e3d.jpg

Release ALL the scores!

It's also worth noting, to anyone else concerned, that Randy is very, VERY aware that demand exists for certain theme park scores as well. He could never justify releasing that stuff as a wide Disney release, but hopefully he and Intrada could put some of it out.

Haha, yeah, only real and much, much better. 'Cause I hate the way that guy masters things - some tracks are just drowning in noise reduction, like the tracks are in an aquarium. Granted, he's working with hissy bootlegs, but still.

So nice to read this. :)

Mr. Thornton is certainly a dedicated film music enthusiast and his collaboration with Intrada is most fortunate for us. Now... bring on a complete Lion King and DuckTales, please! :D

Is there enough Ducktales to fill a CD? Ron Jones is awesome, but it seems like the same cues were always looped over and over in each episode. I'm having a hard time remembering any music that isn't already on his website.

Yep, most cues are repeated a lot in episodes throughout the series, but I'd say there's enough material to produce at least a 2 CD album. The website cues and (now offline) suite only contain a small selection of the music.

Is there enough Ducktales to fill a CD? Ron Jones is awesome, but it seems like the same cues were always looped over and over in each episode. I'm having a hard time remembering any music that isn't already on his website.

I have downloaded all of the music available at his website, plus a 9-minute "suite" created from stitching together several of the pieces, plus the intro and end credits. Combined it's no more than a half hour's worth of music. I know there is more.

This is music that has stuck with me more than any other from my childhood. The nostalgic fondness that most older folks attach to Star Wars and Star Trek music, I didn't get that until I was in middle and high school, once DuckTales's music got me interested in this niche hobby. I'm glad that Lukas Kendall showed such a great interest in Jones' music for the Superman and Star Trek: TNG box sets, but I prefer the DuckTales music far above and beyond those other series.

I would just like an opportunity to own a legitimate pressed CD of Jones' music. Just like all the people who want to buy a complete score presentation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture or other scores that have brilliantly sounding bootleg albums out there. This set of music hasn't seen even its first album yet.

Sometimes I daydream that I would get the DVDs (which only have 2.0 audio tracks), rip their audio tracks, group them by background music, line them up in Audacity, and mute out all the dialogue and SFX to see if I could make as complete of soundtrack tracks as possible.

Yeah...

Yeah, the cues are repeated quite a few times so some of the score could be reproduced by editing together clean portions from various episodes. I tried doing some cover versions too, but only one came out well. I hope Intrada releases it and spares us the pain! :P The score has an abundance of warmth, innocence and a sense of danger and adventure at the same time, all recorded using a remarkably small orchestra! Undoubtedly one of the first factors in getting me interested in film music too.

One of my all-time favourite tracks starts at 1:35 in this episode -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fwz7nIlJyM

Just an update that the co-branded Disney/Intrada title won't quite be ready in time, so we're moving it to the next release window. So you can focus more on the 2-CD set to the live action 90s Disney film instead.

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4716

The Rocketeer would take up two discs, especially if all of the source music recorded for the film is included.

At 88 minutes, so would The Jungle Book.

I'd be thrilled with either.

The delay is disappointing, since Disney releases are my primary focus these days, but I can wait. As for the 2-Disc, I haven't a clue, but given the potential choices, I suspect I'll be happy with anything it might be.

Oh dang, I forgot The Rocketeer is actually long enough for 2 discs, isn't it? Maybe it is that then!

Doug's Corner:

3/18/12

With PREDATOR arriving later this week, we'll just be adding one new release to our plate this Tuesday. But being a 2-CD set, licensed from our good friends at Disney, it's certainly no slouch. You'll have a chance to enjoy a score you've often requested, though a lot of it you've never heard before. With numerous hurdles to have jumped over and nearly two hours of music direct from multi-track stereo session masters, this one's a pretty nifty value at $24.99. Check out the artwork and sound samples Monday evening. Orders begin shipping this Tuesday, March the 20th. In my humble opinion, you're in for quite a treat!

Source: http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=4736

Sounds like White Fang to me!