4951 replies to this topic

#4081 ZackR

ZackR

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

All fans of Disney music should be VERY grateful for Randy Thornton.

#4082 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20487 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

It means they are working with an employee at Disney who wants all the same scores released we do, and its only a matter of time until they all come out.

Yes. Not necessarily *all* of them though. But at least a lot.

Posted Image

Release ALL the scores!

#4083 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

It's also worth noting, to anyone else concerned, that Randy is very, VERY aware that demand exists for certain theme park scores as well. He could never justify releasing that stuff as a wide Disney release, but hopefully he and Intrada could put some of it out.

John S. Troutman
http://troutcave.net

#4084 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6617 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Something like this, only real:

http://www.epcotlegacy.com/music/

#4085 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Haha, yeah, only real and much, much better. 'Cause I hate the way that guy masters things - some tracks are just drowning in noise reduction, like the tracks are in an aquarium. Granted, he's working with hissy bootlegs, but still.

John S. Troutman

#4086 DemonStar

DemonStar

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

So nice to read this. :)

Mr. Thornton is certainly a dedicated film music enthusiast and his collaboration with Intrada is most fortunate for us. Now... bring on a complete Lion King and DuckTales, please! :D

#4087 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Is there enough Ducktales to fill a CD? Ron Jones is awesome, but it seems like the same cues were always looped over and over in each episode. I'm having a hard time remembering any music that isn't already on his website.

John S. Troutman

#4088 DemonStar

DemonStar

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yep, most cues are repeated a lot in episodes throughout the series, but I'd say there's enough material to produce at least a 2 CD album. The website cues and (now offline) suite only contain a small selection of the music.

#4089 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20890 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Is there enough Ducktales to fill a CD? Ron Jones is awesome, but it seems like the same cues were always looped over and over in each episode. I'm having a hard time remembering any music that isn't already on his website.

I have downloaded all of the music available at his website, plus a 9-minute "suite" created from stitching together several of the pieces, plus the intro and end credits. Combined it's no more than a half hour's worth of music. I know there is more.

This is music that has stuck with me more than any other from my childhood. The nostalgic fondness that most older folks attach to Star Wars and Star Trek music, I didn't get that until I was in middle and high school, once DuckTales's music got me interested in this niche hobby. I'm glad that Lukas Kendall showed such a great interest in Jones' music for the Superman and Star Trek: TNG box sets, but I prefer the DuckTales music far above and beyond those other series.

I would just like an opportunity to own a legitimate pressed CD of Jones' music. Just like all the people who want to buy a complete score presentation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture or other scores that have brilliantly sounding bootleg albums out there. This set of music hasn't seen even its first album yet.

Sometimes I daydream that I would get the DVDs (which only have 2.0 audio tracks), rip their audio tracks, group them by background music, line them up in Audacity, and mute out all the dialogue and SFX to see if I could make as complete of soundtrack tracks as possible.

Yeah...

#4090 DemonStar

DemonStar

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, the cues are repeated quite a few times so some of the score could be reproduced by editing together clean portions from various episodes. I tried doing some cover versions too, but only one came out well. I hope Intrada releases it and spares us the pain! :P The score has an abundance of warmth, innocence and a sense of danger and adventure at the same time, all recorded using a remarkably small orchestra! Undoubtedly one of the first factors in getting me interested in film music too.

One of my all-time favourite tracks starts at 1:35 in this episode -

#4091 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35208 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Just an update that the co-branded Disney/Intrada title won't quite be ready in time, so we're moving it to the next release window. So you can focus more on the 2-CD set to the live action 90s Disney film instead.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4716

gI98WBK.jpg

#4092 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

The Rocketeer would take up two discs, especially if all of the source music recorded for the film is included.

At 88 minutes, so would The Jungle Book.

I'd be thrilled with either.

#4093 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

The delay is disappointing, since Disney releases are my primary focus these days, but I can wait. As for the 2-Disc, I haven't a clue, but given the potential choices, I suspect I'll be happy with anything it might be.

John S. Troutman

#4094 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Oh dang, I forgot The Rocketeer is actually long enough for 2 discs, isn't it? Maybe it is that then!

gI98WBK.jpg

#4095 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17831 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Rocketeer would be brilliant!

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#4096 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Doug's Corner:

3/18/12
With PREDATOR arriving later this week, we'll just be adding one new release to our plate this Tuesday. But being a 2-CD set, licensed from our good friends at Disney, it's certainly no slouch. You'll have a chance to enjoy a score you've often requested, though a lot of it you've never heard before. With numerous hurdles to have jumped over and nearly two hours of music direct from multi-track stereo session masters, this one's a pretty nifty value at $24.99. Check out the artwork and sound samples Monday evening. Orders begin shipping this Tuesday, March the 20th. In my humble opinion, you're in for quite a treat!

Source: http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=4736

Sounds like White Fang to me!

gI98WBK.jpg

#4097 DemonStar

DemonStar

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, one CD each for Basil's and HZ's scores with unused cues from both included. That would be cool! :)

#4098 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

He's right, I've never heard it! But Disney, Basil, and Hans before he went off the deep end? Count me in!

John S. Troutman

#4099 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Shirley Walker worked on White Fang, too

gI98WBK.jpg

#4100 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

And only a year prior to Batman TAS! Now I want this release even MORE. Nice pick, Doug!

John S. Troutman

#4101 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Roger has revealed that the animated Disney movie whose score is being released on Tuesday as the next entry in the Disney/Intrada co-branded line is not from the 70s

http://www.intrada.n...?p=57144#p57144

We should get his official post with clues for both (or all 3?) titles tomorrow

gI98WBK.jpg

#4102 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 69909 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Its the score for Steamboat Willie.

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#4103 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3248 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

A true grail.

#4104 The_Trout

The_Trout

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Its the score for Steamboat Willie.

I do love me some Turkey in the Straw.

John S. Troutman

#4105 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Roger says this about the batch being released on Monday evening:

One release -- an Intrada/Disney release featuring a 1980s long sought after animated feature.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4753

Sounds like The Black Cauldron to me!

gI98WBK.jpg

#4106 paleo

paleo

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

In that case, I'll pass... never did anything for me.

#4107 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7794 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

The only reason I didnt like it, was because of the Ondes, perhaps this version will have it toned down some (though not entirely removed, that would be stupid, like removing the Blaster Beam from Star Trek TMP.)

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#4108 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3248 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've never heard The Black Cauldron before, but that's been a conscious decision lately because I've been expecting it to come from Intrada's new series with Disney. I'm sure I won't be disappointed in it, I love Bernstein and I can see him really excelling in its subject matter.

#4109 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35208 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Doug's Corner:

turn your attention to our newest release - going on sale this Tuesday, April 3. I can say with all honesty it's one of our best ever. We were all hoping a soundtrack would come out nearly 30 years ago when the movie opened. It didn't happen. We just got a mere taste test. Now savor the entire enchilada! What a sensational score, too. Color, excitement, adventure, power... it's all here! And it can be yours in a few days. Artwork and sound samples go up Monday evening, orders begin shipping on Tuesday. I love this one. I hope you will, too.

Source: http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=4756

gI98WBK.jpg

#4110 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Sounds like The Black Cauldron indeed. Good thing for my wallet that I don't have to jump on this.

#4111 Demondm810

Demondm810

It's time..for.. Smee.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Black Cauldron!! ordered!

#4112 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6617 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

That's cool. I hope Return to Oz is being done.

#4113 Demondm810

Demondm810

It's time..for.. Smee.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

omg samples are fantastic

#4114 Kendal_Ozzel

Kendal_Ozzel

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2546 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Very cool! And the whole score, too! I wasn't expecting that. It gives one hope for potential Disney Animated Classics releases in the future!

Listening to the samples... I'd forgotten how Ghostbusters-y it is. And holy crap, that End Titles clip is great. I might have to wait for the next limited edition to pair it with, but this will be mine.

#4115 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20890 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'm listening to the Utah re-recording now to see how long I can put off buying this.

#4116 Demondm810

Demondm810

It's time..for.. Smee.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

This is so exciting. Now I KNOW all the goodies are coming..

#4117 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3248 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

Got it! What an exciting time this past week of releases has been!

#4118 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17831 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Is Black Cauldron worth it? I remember seeing part of the film during Christmas time and I was not hugely impressed with the score. Does the score contain fantasy and adventure music for the ages?

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#4119 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3248 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

YES. Buy it.

#4120 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17831 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

Does it contain ondes martenot? I hate that instrument. Watered down theremin is just not my thing. Nor is theremin most of the time. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Label Threads, Intrada Records, Score Talk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users