37 replies to this topic

#1 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

I'd like to first thank compos24 and Mr. Breathmask for their help in getting me registered (moderately sized, but boring story, so don't worry about asking).

Second, I'd like to introduce myself. Basically, I'm just a guy who really loves music and movies. This love carried me through grade school, college, and beyond and has pushed me to learn a number of instruments (including my primary instruments of percussion and piano), earn a degree in music composition, and work on a number of projects both film and purely music-related. I have about a dozen small budget films under my belt, including a Youtube comedy series titled The Andrew and Matt Show that just finished airing a couple of months ago.

I've been an avid fan of film composition for almost 20 years and have amassed what I consider to be a ridiculous amount of music. I have too many favorites to name, but can easily say John Williams was the person that got me started on this path. His scores to Hook and Jurassic Park where some of the very first CDs I owned (actually I got Jurassic Park on cassette). I have since sought out and collected pretty much his entire catalog and to this day count him as one of the singular top talents in music to ever live.

Enough gushing though. I'm here to talk about whatever floats by. Look forward to meeting everyone!

Musica42

#2 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

I have since sought out and collected pretty much his entire catalog and to this day count him as one of the singular top talents in music to ever live.

Promising...but in order to prove your worthiness to JWFan, you must answer this question: What do you think of Hans Zimmer and Media Ventures?
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#3 paleo

paleo

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

His scores to Hook and Jurassic Park where some of the very first CDs I owned (actually I got Jurassic Park on cassette).

Same here; listened to the JP cassette till it didn't sound pretty any more... anyway, welcome :)

#4 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

Promising...but in order to prove your worthiness to JWFan, you must answer this question: What do you think of Hans Zimmer and Media Ventures?

Ha! I'm not a Zimmer apologist or anything but I definitely like him better than Media Ventures/Remote Control, that's for sure. He's certainly produced a number of great scores in the past, but in terms of composition he doesn't come close to Williams. I must say that if I had to name the one person who has influenced film music the most in the past 10-15 years, I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't Zimmer, and for that I despise what he represents. His sound is, let's face it, pretty easy to emulate. And because of this you have him and a few others (John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams at the forefront) setting the trend and then an army of Remote Control (and several non-Remote Control) composers that do watered down versions of the same basic sound for dozens of movies thereafter - big drums, synths, and just about every melody in unison french horn and strings played as loud as possible, etc, etc, etc. I just saw Transformers 2 and the score by Jablonsky was exactly that, a complete re-hash. But this is the soundscape that we live in at the moment.

So to really answer your question, yes, I'm OKAY with Hans Zimmer. I certainly am not a rabid fan of his but he is capable of good even great work. Media Ventures/Remote Control on the other hand is hurting America as much as fast food and Michael Bay. Media Ventures/Remote Control has been the root cause of the mass homogenization of film music over the past decade and I would be very happy if they didn't exist if for no other reason than individual composers could stop ripping off that particular set of sounds and go back to creating scores with an identifiable individual fingerprint.

Luckily there's still people (some new, some old) that are still doing fresh and interesting things. I do my best to seek them out and support them in any way I can.

#5 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

So to really answer your question, yes, I'm OKAY with Hans Zimmer. I certainly am not a rabid fan of his but he is capable of good even great work.

Heretic! Such thought must not be tolerated! Baldrick, bring me a set of live jumper cables and remove his trousers!

Media Ventures/Remote Control on the other hand is hurting America as much as fast food and Michael Bay. Media Ventures/Remote Control has been the root cause of the mass homogenization of film music over the past decade and I would be very happy if they didn't exist if for no other reason than individual composers could stop ripping off that particular set of sounds and go back to creating scores with an identifiable individual fingerprint.

...Oh, all right. Forget the jumper cables, make it a quick painless death.

Welcome to the madhouse. :)
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#6 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

Welcome!

I like your answer.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#7 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5885 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

Anyone who does not condemn Hans Zimmer as Satan incarnate has zero credibility in my book.

#8 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

Well, much expected knee-jerk reactions aside, it feels good to be part of the family!

And to those who can't fathom why I would appreciate Hans Zimmer, I say go listen to a few scores of Brian Tyler's and get back to me. Compared to him, Hans Zimmer is papa Bach.

Musica42

#9 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:59 AM

Since you're new around here I should point out that you should only take about 38% of what Alan...er, Mr. Roo, and I say seriously. :)

We are staunchly anti-Zimmer, but that doesn't mean we're no fun.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#10 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:03 AM

We can even hit the high notes!...It is just too bad we are tone-deaf....(sigh)
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#11 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

Since you're new around here I should point out that should should only take about 38% of what Alan...er, Mr. Roo, and I say seriously. :)

I have a well-developed sense of humor, I got a music degree after all. So no worries. I've dealt with your types before ROTFLMAO

Anyway, I can understand being staunchly anti-Zimmer, he does produce far more harm than good, but the man does have a gift for melody on the occasion (take that statement with a grain of salt). Unfortunately he has the antithesis of gift for everything else compositionally-speaking, or more accurately he just doesn't consistently use his abilities. He has a tendency toward taking the easy road and scoring long swaths with ambient noises, vamps, ostinatos, and really generic orchestrations all around which makes for a really boring listen. BUT I'll always be a sucker for a handful of tracks by him from various places so I can't outright hate the guy. I site "This Land" from Lion King as one of my favorite pieces of film music by anyone and that puts it above hundreds of thousands of pieces of music I've heard.

Anyway, I'll just repeat my previous point that there is FAR worse than Zimmer out there. If saying that brings 38% ire from SOME PEOPLE for having a bit too big of a tent then so be it. :)

#12 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5885 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:20 AM

Anyway, I'll just repeat my previous point that there is FAR worse than Zimmer out there. If saying that brings 38% ire from SOME PEOPLE for having a bit too big of a tent then so be it. :angry:

May God have mercy on your soul!

#13 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32203 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:36 AM

I'd like to first thank compos24 and Mr. Breathmask for their help in getting me registered (moderately sized, but boring story, so don't worry about asking).

I'm surprised you were able to get registered. Marc changed the easy process in order to prevent spammers from registering. Perhaps it's just that he takes forever to approve of a new user, but I've tried a couple times recently to create a new account and I couldn't get it past the "Validating" stage. I also know someone else who was trying to re-join the board and had a lot of trouble.

Oh, where are my manners: Welcome... and LONG LIVE HANS!
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#14 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:47 AM

Yes, there are some, such as myself and Koray, that enjoy Zimmer quite a bit.

Although the more time goes by, the more I come to hate the invasion of the MV sound in modern film scores.

What are your thoughts on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (score and film)?
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#15 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

What are your thoughts on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (score and film)?

Sorry for the super sluggish reply (really busy past 24 hours). Well, I doubt I have anything major to add to the discussion when it comes to this score. The movie was an entertaining piece of fluff that I enjoyed but I haven't seen it again since the theaters. I'll add my vote to the fridge escape being the single stupidest thing in all four movies, but otherwise the action pieces were well-executed and it felt like a fitting return to the universe.

Given that I hadn't gotten a new Williams score since Munich I was a bit over-excited for this soundtrack. The action music was fantastic, especially The Jungle Chase and A Whirl Through Acadame. The latter gets a lot of play because I love the references to Brahms Academic Festival Overture. In fact I'd say this piece sits comfortably next to The Mine Car Chase and Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra as best action cues in the series. I also enjoy The Departure because it feels like it's coming from the same place as A.I., which is among my favorite Williams scores ever.

#16 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:31 AM

Excellent, another KotCS fan (somewhat)!

#17 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

And me, in many cases, although Powell has by far surpassed Zimmer in my book.

#18 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

And me, in many cases, although Powell has by far surpassed Zimmer in my book.

You know what, I'm going to agree with that. Although Zimmer occasionally makes a cue I like, I can actually say there are WHOLE scores by Powell (several in fact) that I really like - Bolt and X-Men 3 being the first examples that leap to mind.

#19 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

I think Zimmer and Powell are about the same for me, although there's only one Powell score I like, and it's a collaboration with Zimmer. So, HZ wins I guess.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#20 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

but I've tried a couple times recently to create a new account and I couldn't get it past the "Validating" stage. I also know someone else who was trying to re-join the board and had a lot of trouble.

Why were you trying to create a new account?

#21 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

I can think of a few reasons.

-Oscar Wilde

#22 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32203 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

but I've tried a couple times recently to create a new account and I couldn't get it past the "Validating" stage. I also know someone else who was trying to re-join the board and had a lot of trouble.

Why were you trying to create a new account?

;) Might come in handy someday.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#23 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Well if you intend to have some fun you might wanna ask Marc's permission first.

It's been known to work.

#24 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

It's been known to work.

Known by who, I wonder....

-Oscar Wilde

#25 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32203 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

Well if you intend to have some fun you might wanna ask Marc's permission first.

It's been known to work.

Oh ho! I was going to extra lengths to make sure Marc didn't know. :P What's the point of having a second account if someone knows who it truly is?

#26 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Doesn't Marc always know based on the IP Address?

#27 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32203 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hmm... good point. I don't know, by extra lengths I pretty much just meant creating a new email address that doesn't have my name in it.

#28 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34435 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

Welcome Musica

Is the 42 a reference to HHGTTG?

zNlRTkr.jpg

#29 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:36 AM

Welcome Musica

Is the 42 a reference to HHGTTG?

You know it. :lol:

#30 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32203 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

HHGTTG?

#31 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

42 is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

#32 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32203 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

How did Jason pick up on that though? Jason, do you assume that anyone that uses the number 42 is referencing Hitchhiker's Guide? Btw I love the movie, have never read the book though.

#33 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

Jason, do you assume that anyone that uses the number 42 is referencing Hitchhiker's Guide?

What on earth else could someone possibly use that number for!? :lol:

#34 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17806 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

HHGTTG?

Indeed.

The correct abreviation is HG2G.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#35 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34435 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

Jason, do you assume that anyone that uses the number 42 is referencing Hitchhiker's Guide?

Usually

Btw I love the movie, have never read the book though.

The books are loads better!

Well, the first 3 books are good. Books 4 and 5 are meh

zNlRTkr.jpg

#36 Musica42

Musica42

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:21 AM

Usually

Btw I love the movie, have never read the book though.

The books are loads better!

Well, the first 3 books are good. Books 4 and 5 are meh

In related news a sixth book is in the works by Eoin Colfer. I've never read anything else by this guy, but I have high hopes.

#37 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34435 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

I have extremely low expectations

zNlRTkr.jpg

#38 compos24

compos24

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hey!~

I just wanted to say, "Hello!". I would have done it sooner, but I do not travel to this portion of the board too often.

Welcome, my friend!

Best of Everything,

- Compos24 -

Composer, Orchestrator, Arranger and Audiophile

Pianofiles List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users