Photo

So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

Movie Talk 2012 Films Ridley Scott

• Please log in to reply
1929 replies to this topic

#921 Jay

Jay

I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37951 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Guess I didn't recognize her

#922 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Fail!

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#923 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 37951 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm continually intrigued by the film, everything I see/read hypes me more

I almost want to stop watching/reading anything so i don't get spoiled

#924 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Utinni!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sony releases the score (Available on June 5).

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B007TBCTRK
"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."

- Garth (aka Fedora)

#925 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Ridley Scott Promises Prometheus Theatrical Release Will be His Director's Cut

“The cut that you’re gonna see in cinemas…it’s always the director’s cut, really,” Scott exclaimed before chatting up on the film’s run time. “I’ve only made a mistake once on cutting a film short — I won’t say what it is right now, because this is not the time — but I removed 17 minutes off a movie, and I didn’t ruin it, but it wasn’t [as effective]. In this instance, you got a pretty good version here, pretty good cut. We’re running at about — I think without the end titles, which normally run about four to five minutes — we’re running one hour, fifty-nine minutes and change. It’s very tight, it’s what it should be.”

http://www.dreadcent...s-directors-cut

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#926 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#927 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Michael Fassbender was brilliantly cast in this.

#928 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

That was awesome!

I'm continually intrigued by the film, everything I see/read hypes me more

I almost want to stop watching/reading anything so i don't get spoiled

Yeah, same here. I'm getting to that point where I'm afraid I'm going to spoil something....but it's hard not to read things about this movie. Can't wait to see it.

#929 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM&feature=youtu.be

This has a strong, and most likely very deliberate 2001: a Space Odyssey vibe...

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#930 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30056 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I still have all pre-release publicity set to IGNORE.

When I finally see this I'll truly be going in blind.

#931 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I thought the text is a little too obvious and clear (I like things to be more vague so that it can go in many directions), but then again, I suppose one shouldn't be too hard on 'virals'.

Will Fassbender be able to create a new unforgettable android like Ash, Roy Batty and Bishop?
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#932 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I do like that it does look completely unlike anything related to the Aliens franchise. But...it's very Kubrick...

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#933 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Is it?

Alien is the visual the dark side of 2001.

#934 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16828 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Dunno, feels more like A.I.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#935 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

The background have a futuristic 60's feel, and very sterile looking. As Alex indicated Alien is the opposite of 2001...

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#936 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16828 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Yes, we already know Scott thinks "used and grungy future" look isn't interesting anymore. He said that himself.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#937 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3859 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Dunno, feels more like A.I.

Karol

There are several things in this well-done viral that made me think of A.I. The shot with the fingerprint comes out directly from the first A.I. trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML7Ci5TYp_M

But it also reminded me of this:

#938 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I thought the text is a little too obvious and clear (I like things to be more vague so that it can go in many directions), but then again, I suppose one shouldn't be too hard on 'virals'.

Well it is supposed to be a sort of infomercial. So including hidden subtexts or being vague would perhaps not ring true.

I am sure there will be more to the character.

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#939 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I understand, but since these infomercials are being used as appetizers for the film, I would make 'm slightly more intriguing. None of the virals make me want to see the actual movie.

#940 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

One thing is clear, Michael Fassbender's android seems more 'primitive' than Ash or Bishop. You can tell he's an android.

#941 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73691 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Does he dream of electric sheep, Alex?

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#942 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21494 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

One thing is clear, Michael Fassbender's android seems more 'primitive' than Ash or Bishop. You can tell he's an android.

How can one tell this? Seriously. I don't see any androids in my daily life to use as a benchmark. Maybe one thinks he's just an Irish-German human playing a very calm and stolid individual with a deliberate way of speaking? It's once he sits down to play chess with himself or says things that set him aside from humans that I realize this.

I don't recall any way of discerning that Ash was an android until he went berserk, ruptured, and began spraying milk everywhere; then it became kinda obvious. I think Bishop was less secretive about admitting what he was.

#943 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

When I first saw Michael Fessbender in X-Men First Class I immediately thought....he looks like an android.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#944 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

When I first saw Michael Fessbender in X-Men First Class I immediately thought....he looks like an android.

I thought to myself "he'd make a good Terminator"

#945 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 37951 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

New Prometheus trailer:

Those wishing to avoid spoilers may not want to watch, as it shows more than previous trailers have shown. Personally, I didn't find it to be too spoilerific, I still feel like there will be plenty of surprises when I see the film.

I really like the LOOK of this film. Its some kind of cool blend of 70s and today. Its different from anything else coming out - could be influential.

#946 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25598 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

it does look well, it will look even better on blu
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#947 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 37951 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Better than the theater??

Or do you just mean better than youtube?

#948 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16828 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't know, Jay... It eminds me of when I first watched the first Superman Returns teaser, for some reason. Looked awesome, but then it turned out... that was all there was. It's just this strange feeling this movie is not all it promises.

Karol
Films On Wax

#949 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25598 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

yes

often blu's look better on good set than they do on a large screen.

#950 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

How can one tell this?

Because he's closer to Data than to the androids we know from the Alien universe. Of course, it could be the viral (infomercial), maybe he'll be more human in the film.

#951 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32984 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Double mediocre is still mediocre.

Well that was my first thought but I wasn't going to post something so negative. Good of you to relief me of the burden. I agree.

Scott got Harry to compose his best score with Kingdom Of Heaven. Only good can come from him working on Prometheus. I do find it odd though, because I recall Harry saying he hated Scott for taking out his music and putting in Goldsmith, seemed like he didn't want to work with him again.

I still have all pre-release publicity set to IGNORE.

When I finally see this I'll truly be going in blind.

I don't read or watch trailers anymore. I allow myself one trailer or a teaser, so I can get a feel of the film, and that's it. I'm conformable enough with my taste that I know what films I'll want to spend money on in a theater. Although with all the behind the scenes crap these days, it's hard to avoid information. I felt like I knew everything about The Dark Knight Rises based on article titles and pictures off news sites, a couple which actually put spoilers in the titles (how professional is that?). Luckily I've forgotten all of it. No prologue for me, just that first trailer and I'm good to go. With Prometheus I've only seen the first teaser. Don't know anything about the plot.

yes

often blu's look better on good set than they do on a large screen.

Weren't you the one who told me that nothing can beat a movie on the silver screen? ;)

#952 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25598 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

as far as the intitial movie going experience that will always hold true, but the picture quality can exceed the screen quality. However I doubt I will ever own a 70 by 40 foot screen, but if I ever win the lottery I'm going big at home.

#953 paleo

paleo

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ugh; I just realized that the movie hits screens in Germany 2.5 months after its debut in France. What is the rationale for that? The French can't be so much faster with dubbing ;-) I truly hate dubbed versions by now, btw... they also seem to become ever more atrocious.

#954 KK.

KK.

The Merciful One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Well that was my first thought but I wasn't going to post something so negative. Good of you to relief me of the burden. I agree.

Scott got Harry to compose his best score with Kingdom Of Heaven. Only good can come from him working on Prometheus. I do find it odd though, because I recall Harry saying he hated Scott for taking out his music and putting in Goldsmith, seemed like he didn't want to work with him again.

Maybe that explains why Harry is only acting as an additional composer. I was always pretty confused by how Marc got the big job and Harry, the assistant (whereas the roles were reversed 7 years ago). Maybe what you mentioned explains it.

Also I'm not sure if this has been shared already, but here is a not so recent featurette:

As others have mentioned before me. I love the look of this film. And I really like the fantastic sets! Let's hope the film delivers.

[–]CerebralCortexan[] 0 points

11 minutes ago  

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

a minute ago  

No truth to it. Hahah!

#955 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Ugh; I just realized that the movie hits screens in Germany 2.5 months after its debut in France. What is the rationale for that? The French can't be so much faster with dubbing ;-) I truly hate dubbed versions by now, btw... they also seem to become ever more atrocious.

Welcome to the club on both counts. :(

I read somewhere that football might be responsible of the delay of several films in Europe, but it doesn't make sense to me.

#956 crumbs

crumbs

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Avoiding any more spoilers about this film now! I know too much!

#957 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32984 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Maybe that explains why Harry is only acting as an additional composer. I was always pretty confused by how Marc got the big job and Harry, the assistant (whereas the roles were reversed 7 years ago). Maybe what you mentioned explains it.

Well Streitenfeld was always going to score this film. He did Ridley's last four. From what I understood, the reason that he became Ridley's go-to is because Harry didn't want to work again, or maybe Tony was just hogging him. Who knows?

#958 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16828 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

This short featurette shows some new footage:

Karol
Films On Wax

#959 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm avoiding trailers and featurettes.

I read some comments by Scott relating to our relevance as a species and I'm under the impression that he wasn't sure what he was talking about.

I really hope this one doesn't go the "humans are of alien origin" route and scraps evolutionary Biology and Paleontology altogether.

#960 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm afraid it will go that way. What? The same alien race that created the xenomorph is also responsible for creating human kind? And am I to understand that the film is telling us that we, humans, are the ultimate biological weapon and not the aliens? What?!

Posted Image

We're home. What a beautiful planet. It's blue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk, 2012 Films, Ridley Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users