243 replies to this topic

#41 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

Also: any of the various synthesized sounds that loop over and over...and over...and over...and over again in most rap. I don't see anything inherently wrong with repetition in music, but...seriously!

#42 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

Minimalism is not something I tend to enjoy.
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#43 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32612 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

Rap is the most unoriginal music. They sample other people's music, make it loop and say random crap over and over.

Hmm, let's take this 80s one hit wonder and turn it into hip hop, no one will notice and think we're amazing.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#44 Bowie

Bowie

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

^ Beware: Idiotic generalizations.
"We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - Williams

#45 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32612 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

Hey, it's true. The music doesn't vary, and the lyrics are mostly trash. Rap was better in the 90s, but not that much.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#46 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

Aren't you a fan of AI and "Call of the Crystal," both of which employ minimalism?
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#47 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

They do have minimalistic traits (A.I. far more so), but they are not extreme to the point where they have practically two measures repeated for twenty minutes. Or I could just say that there was a reason I wrote "tend to", but I like the other answer
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#48 Bowie

Bowie

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

They are probably about 0.5% minimalistic. There's really no comparison.
"We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - Williams

#49 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

They do have minimalistic traits (A.I. far more so), but they are not extreme to the point where they have practically two measures repeated for twenty minutes. Or I could just say that there was a reason I wrote "tend to", but I like the other answer

Fair enough.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#50 Bowie

Bowie

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:36 AM

http://www.zshare.ne...7440952489b838/

#51 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26426 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

Drum machine from the 80's

(as in Hoosiers)

#52 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

http://www.zshare.net/audio/637440952489b838/

I like the idea itself, the only time it becomes unpleasant to my ears is when Williams uses it as autopilot (two examples would be the passage from "Battle of the Heroes" and "Jungle Chase" you used). I love it when he uses the xylophone hits as a sort of response to the orchestra, such as the moment in "Chase Through Couruscant" (which also made it into your Quicktime) where the horns play a passage and the xylophones respond with a quick and chaotic blip. Right at 1:44.

#53 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26426 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:53 AM

there's nothing wrong with Williams xylophone

#54 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13336 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

How about a piece that's playing perfectly then suddenly can be ruined by one of the players flubbing a note and wasn't noticed to make a correction to the cue before releasing it on CD?

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#55 Bowie

Bowie

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

What about the creaking chair at the end of Journey to the Island?

#56 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10716 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:33 AM

Overused generic chorus

Yes.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#57 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:06 AM

Modern movie trailer action music. In general.

I've gotten rather irritated with RCP's stereotypical useage of that blend of electronic and ethnic percussion that they use, but one of the crowning jewels is that sort of clicky thing that was put to obnoxiously gratuitous use in 3:02-5:33 of "The Battle" in [i]The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

The dry, emotionless Brass-sound samples Zimmer and his boys love so much...

also the fake choir from Angels and Demons.. it sounds so bad

Overused generic chorus, like in Superman Returns.

#58 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

Those dry, emotional brass samples that MissPadmé brought up often make me think of kazoos on steroids.

#59 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

I like the idea itself, the only time it becomes unpleasant to my ears is when Williams uses it as autopilot (two examples would be the passage from "Battle of the Heroes" and "Jungle Chase" you used). I love it when he uses the xylophone hits as a sort of response to the orchestra, such as the moment in "Chase Through Couruscant" (which also made it into your Quicktime) where the horns play a passage and the xylophones respond with a quick and chaotic blip. Right at 1:44.

Generally speaking, I agree. The device doesn't sound inherently annoying to me, but Williams has tended to overuse it in recent times, causing it to lose its effectiveness for me.

#60 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32612 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

How about a piece that's playing perfectly then suddenly can be ruined by one of the players flubbing a note and wasn't noticed to make a correction to the cue before releasing it on CD?

That's not really a musical sound, but I'll take it, and add this to it: Terrible recordings where you can hear the musicians coughing, breathing, and making other noises that are more audible than they should be. Example: Duplicity, it makes the music near-unlistenable.

#61 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

You could add the Collector's Edition of Jaws, too.

-Oscar Wilde

#62 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9282 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:52 AM

Aren't you a fan of AI and "Call of the Crystal," both of which employ minimalism?

They are probably about 0.5% minimalistic. There's really no comparison.

Minimalism can't be so narrowly defined, nor should it be confused with musical repetition.

#63 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

Electric cello, James Horner 90's synths, duduk.

Karol

What's so wrong with duduk? :P It added such fine atmosphere in Ronin and Gladiator ...

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#64 BurgaFlippinMan

BurgaFlippinMan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4470 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

Awful, awful, awful!

Better that than synth female choirs.

I can't stand overuse of the synth percussion hits the MV gang tend to love, as well as too much shakuhachi blasts Horner style

Drum machine from the 80's

(as in Hoosiers)

I'm not a fan of it either, but there's nothing wrong with the Hoosiers score!

#65 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

The first 15 seconds of that song features an awful but thankfully rarely used synth sample which I detest no matter how good a song or piece of music might be inspite of it. The crap Doogie Howser theme had a similar version of it here. Its a sound which screams cheese and tackiness and I hate it.

That's a Fender Rhodes imitation of the legendary Yamaha DX7, Quint. It was one of the first synths that used frequency modulation synthesis. Rarely used, you say? It was one of the most popular sounds of the '80s and was mainly used for ballads and ear-friendly jazz music. I hate it too ... but I love me a Fender Rhodes.

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#66 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

I always equated that sound to Barney the Dinosaur...on a similar note, I hate what is called the "popcorn synthesizer".

-Oscar Wilde

#67 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

Personally, the sound I'm tired of is 'wonderous female choir' together with the celesta (to make clear that what you're seeing is 'magical'). Overkill!

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#68 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

there's nothing wrong with Williams xylophone

100 % true.

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#69 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15268 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Awful, awful, awful!

This was an Elfman trademark, then he started using it sparingly. Now everyone does it! Grr!

#70 Melange

Melange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5476 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

Musical Sounds you hate

Hmm,i'm not sure there any musical sounds I "hate".

What I will say is that I always kind of liked the Doogie Howser theme (sorry Quint)

It always reminded me slightly of the classic theme for Taxi

#71 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

[quote name='Melange' date='07 August 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1249637934' post='594574']
[quote]
It always reminded me slightly of the classic theme for Taxi
[/quote]

Hey, that's a Fender Rhodes and not a DX7! Theme For Taxi is great!

#72 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

http://www.zshare.net/audio/637440952489b838/

You just "composed" Williams' xylophone concerto. :P

Karol

What's so wrong with duduk? :P It added such fine atmosphere in Ronin and Gladiator ...

... and Russia House.

I don't mind electric cello or violin unless it's overused. Like synths, if used properly it adds flavour.

#73 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16035 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Karol

It was interesting at the point when Goldsmith scored The Russia House (which is great, by the way). Now it's just an overkill.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#74 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Karol

It was interesting at the point when Goldsmith scored The Russia House (which is great, by the way). Now it's just an overkill.

Karol

Yes, but then again violins, horns and flutes are used in every single score... Why cannot duduk apear once in a while? :P

#75 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

As with "ethnic wailing". John Williams uses it to great effect, I think, but it seems over-used, for the most part.

-Oscar Wilde

#76 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15268 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

As with "ethnic wailing". John Williams uses it to great effect, I think, but it seems over-used, for the most part.

Hollywood authenticity!

#77 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18105 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

I hate the twittering sound of a bouzouki. Just awful. One of the most horrendous instruments even conceived. Oh where did the evolution of stringed instruments go wrong with that one?
For those who are unsure what this monstrosity is take a look here: Bouzouki

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#78 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16035 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hollywood authenticity!

Yes, exactly. I never got into the wailing cue from Munich, to be honest. While it's well written, I felt almost betrayed by Williams.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#79 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Yes, but then again violins, horns and flutes are used in every single score... Why cannot duduk apear once in a while? :P

That's a good point. :P

-- Konrad Lorenz

#80 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

The only ethnic wailing that I absolutely love is from Blade Runner (1982). Imagine my surprise when I learned that it was friggin Demis Roussos who did the chanting!

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users