243 replies to this topic

#1 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

We all like the sound of a well performed strings section or fanfare of triumphant brass and some love nothing more than the glorious vibrations of an electric guitar to a drummers beat, but what distinctive musical sound gets up your nose? What 'instrument' can you not stand to hear?

The first 15 seconds of that song features an awful but thankfully rarely used synth sample which I detest no matter how good a song or piece of music might be inspite of it. The crap Doogie Howser theme had a similar version of it here. Its a sound which screams cheese and tackiness and I hate it.

What about you?

And before one of the hilarious cleverboys gets their 'choice' in, I'll beat 'em to it:

#2 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hey that's a good theme!
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#3 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

I know it is :)

As tv themes go, its excellent.

#4 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9280 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Overly amplified piano playing soft, plaintive music. Turn that damn volume down!

#5 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

Quickest Thread-Killer in the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Poorly intonated strings are the worst. Ugh....
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#6 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6550 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

Modern movie trailer action music. In general.

#7 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Modern movie trailer action music. In general.

Oh yes!

#8 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Overly amplified piano playing soft, plaintive music. Turn that damn volume down!

YouTube examples would be good!

#9 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20788 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Axl Rose
Geddy Lee

#10 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Axl Rose

Each to his own and all that, but I was only thinking the other day (whilst listening to Sweet Child O'Mine) about his amazingly unique voice and how much it compliments the Guns N' Roses sound. I love that band though.

But yeah, you illustrate perfectly my meaning with this thread.

#11 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I can't stand metal.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#12 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I'm not much of a fan either (I don't mind the odd Metallica track), but G N' R are more rock than metal. Soft metal perhaps.

#13 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'm sure you meant to say "poorly intonated horns are the worst", everybody knows it's God's honest truth. :P :D

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#14 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32322 posts

I didn't mean GNR is metal, I was just saying that's what I can't stand. I only like Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Paradise City. Not a big fan of the band.

#15 OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Bad Synths and Bagpipes (though there are a couple of notable exceptions).
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

#16 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

You want YouTube.com examples? Alright then.

Please note that it is usually the younger musicians who have this problem, which they cannot really be blamed for because they were never really taught how to improve it.

Of course, YouTube.com has a lot of videos of people teaching this delicate art, like this one starring a Jeff Goldblum impersonator.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

-Oscar Wilde

#17 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29203 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

I didn't mean GNR is metal, I was just saying that's what I can't stand.

Ah ok. You wasn't specific though, hence my presumption. As for GNR, have you heard Patience? It is a superb song with a nice, quieter melody and a great musical structure. Have a listen if you're ever inclined.

You want YouTube.com examples? Alright then.

Please note that it is usually the younger musicians who have this problem, which they cannot really be blamed for because they were never really taught how to improve it.

Well, I agree with you of course, but linking very young kids playing the best they can isn't really the most suitable example either and more than a little unfair, regardless of the fact that it obviously not their fault.

#18 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

I'm sure you meant to say "poorly intonated horns are the worst", everybody knows it's God's honest truth. :P :D

Like this?

-Oscar Wilde

#19 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

Like this?

Jesus H. Christ, yes. :D I know this sounds evil, but I'm not sure whether I should die of laughter or of horror ... :P :D

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#20 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Like this?

Jesus H. Christ, yes. :D I know this sounds evil, but I'm not sure whether I should die of laughter or of horror ... :P :D

Unlikely that there's horns in an elementary ensemble. But yeah...when us horn players are out of tune and playing as a section, it's terrifying!

#21 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69430 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Sounds fine to me.

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#22 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15738 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Electric cello, James Horner 90's synths, duduk.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#23 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I've gotten rather irritated with RCP's stereotypical useage of that blend of electronic and ethnic percussion that they use, but one of the crowning jewels is that sort of clicky thing that was put to obnoxiously gratuitous use in 3:02-5:33 of "The Battle" in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

#24 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15738 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Yes, that too.

And choirs with drum loops. It's cheesy as hell in most cases.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#25 dfenton85

dfenton85

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I can't stand bad 80's horn synths. It just makes me cry out for the real thing.

#26 AzOutcast

AzOutcast

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Blast beats.

Fortunately it's not featured too prominently in film scores. In other types of music . . .

#27 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

The dry, emotionless Brass-sound samples Zimmer and his boys love so much...

also the fake choir from Angels and Demons.. it sounds so bad
________________________________________________________________________________
Brink: I don't care if you have to cut off my hand, just don't leave me to die here!
Maggie Robbins: Don't be so dramatic Brink; nobody is going to cut off your hand.
Boston Low: Don't make promises you might not be able to keep Maggie

#28 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Well, I agree with you of course, but linking very young kids playing the best they can isn't really the most suitable example either and more than a little unfair, regardless of the fact that it obviously not their fault.

You are absolutely right, of course, but intonation tends to be less of a problem with more experienced and older groups, and I thought it would be much faster were I to search for a younger ensemble, where bad intonation is a commonality.

-Oscar Wilde

#29 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69430 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

Todays film makers fine emotional brass music to be vulgar.

Hans is only feeding the monkey!

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#30 Nick Parker

Nick Parker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

One of the crowning jewels is that sort of clicky thing that was put to obnoxiously gratuitous use in 3:02-5:33 of "The Battle" in [i]The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

It sounds like something I would hear while playing an NES game.

-Oscar Wilde

#31 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10229 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Singers with nervous, overactive vibrato. Almost any popular music that sounds angry. Whatever type of woodwind instrument Horner has used in scores such as Braveheart...again, overactive vibrato. Anything involving the brass and/or percussion sections of the Prague Philharmonic. Saxophones being overused in bands and wind ensembles with little regard for their unique and rather prominent timbre. Re-recordings that opt for completely different and painfully inferior tempi, even if they're being conducted by the composer (e.g. just about any performance of "Theme from Jurassic Park").

The Zimmer cliches can be very effective or very annoying, depending on my mood, which score it is, and how much I've heard them in recent times.

#32 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Overused generic chorus, like in Superman Returns.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#33 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9280 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

Overused generic chorus, like in Superman Returns.

Awful, awful, awful!

#34 Bowie

Bowie

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Xylophone hits!
"We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - Williams

#35 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32322 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

also the fake choir from Angels and Demons.. it sounds so bad

I may be wrong but I'm think it's real. Need to check the CD again.

#36 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20431 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

Singers with nervous, overactive vibrato.

Truth!

#37 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17660 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

Singers with nervous, overactive vibrato.

I'd say that goes for any instrument (especially flutes).
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#38 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10229 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

Yes, definitely.

#39 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20431 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

I've never heard woodwinds with a vibrato that sounds like a glissando tremolo though. I have heard singers who sounded like that.

#40 artyjeffrey

artyjeffrey

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

I don't know if I'm saying the correct instrument, but it's a clavichord? Well, the electric version, which appeared in many funky 1970s songs.

Oh, okay, here's an example you might be able to bring up in your mind... it's the keyboard instrument that's very prevalent during Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious." I absolutely cannot stand that sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users