Hans Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes Press Release

mahler3

So do we reckon this will be good? A couple of guys I know in the US have already seen it and they say the music is pretty good and quite thematic.

- Tim

SONY MUSIC RELEASES

SHERLOCK HOLMES

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Score by Hans Zimmer

Movie directed by Guy Ritchie

Stars Robert Downey Jr; Jude Law; Rachel McAdams

Opens in cinemas nationwide on 26th December 2009

Album Release Date: 28th December 2009

London, December 2009: In a dynamic new portrayal of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s (1859-1930) most famous characters, 'Sherlock Holmes' sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

The action-adventure mystery 'Sherlock Holmes' is helmed by acclaimed film-maker Guy Ritchie (b. 1968) who is also famous for 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' and 'Snatch'. Robert Downey Jr. brings the legendary detective to life and Jude Law stars as Holmes’ trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes.

The score is composed by Academy Award, Golden Globe Award and Grammy Award winning composer Hans Zimmer, whose recent film scores include 'The Dark Knight'; 'The Da Vinci Code'; 'Angels & Demons' and the 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' series.

Track list:

1. Discombobulate

2. Is It Poison, Nanny?

3. I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before

4. My Mind Rebels At Stagnation

5. Data, Data, Data

6. He's Killed The Dog Again

7. Marital Sabotage

8. Not In Blood, But In Bond

9. Ah, Putrefaction

10. Panic, Sheer Bloody Panic

11. Psychological Recovery...6 Months

12. Catatonictes

Format: CD / Composer: Hans Zimmer / Catalogue no: 88697630662 / Price Point: Full

Label: Sony Classical / Release date: 28th December 2009

I posted a link to one of the cues from a review site already in this thread:

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16439&st=560

I didn't realize Danny Elfman scored the film.

Here's the link again:

http://incontention.com/?p=18677

I think you've misread the title of that review Mark.

As for thematic, well, Pirates of the Carribean stays very true to a solid thematic structure too, and we know how that turned out.

D'oh! "Can open...worms everywhere!" :D

I'm sure all will be revealed once we see the liner notes, in fairness he does always clearly list the additional music credits.

So do we reckon this will be good? A couple of guys I know in the US have already seen it and they say the music is pretty good and quite thematic.

- Tim

I believe Jeff Bond had praise for it.

It's kinda funny that if you replace all the fun little wacky instruments Zimmer is using in that cue with his normal Strings Power Chords and percussion, it would probably sound just like a typical Zimmer score.

Oh c'mon Chris, don't pander to the crowd. Most self respecting composers don't think much of MV or Hansy's music- they just don't broadcast it because of how small Tinsel Town really is. Word does get around. Er, which is I guess why you backed up there a little bit...

I have very little knowledge of Morricone, although I do hear a little Elfman in there (or maybe Jim Dooley worked on this score as it also reminds me a bit of Pushing Daisies) but I have to say that, derivative as it may be, it doesn't sound bad at all, I may have to check the score.

Oh c'mon Chris, don't pander to the crowd. Most self respecting composers don't think much of MV or Hansy's music- they just don't broadcast it because of how small Tinsel Town really is. Word does get around. Er, which is I guess why you backed up there a little bit...

I'm not pandering, I like the track! And I enjoy the Pirates scores in all their ridiculousness. Well, the first not so much, mostly the 2nd and 3rd.

You just don't like him because you consider yourself a lot more talented, even though you will NEVER have the career, success and aclaim that Hans Zimmer has.

"Hoist The Colours" / "The Brethren Court" / "At Wit's End" anyone?! :D

Seriously though, I like it, even if it is a POTC3 rip-off and a bit weird at the same time. :D

You just don't like him because you consider yourself a lot more talented, even though you will NEVER have the career, success and aclaim that Hans Zimmer has.

+1

Probably but I will be original. guess which film that's from?

Also, and I know it's hard for your wee little brain to comprehend this, I never fancied myself composing for film for a living. It is not for me. Too much politics. So, I'm not envious of Heir Zimmer. I don't think I'm better than he, though I do know a lot of composers I would rather hear that are far more talented and skilled. But, hey, if you think you know me so well, anything I say here won't sink in so have fun.

Edit- Not that I have to qualify myself, but just to give you a wee bit of perspective, John Corgiliano, Carter Burwell, Gabriel Yared and Bill Stromberg all have had very nice things to say about my own compositions so I don't feel too bad about not measuring up to your standards Quint and Stefancos. Parenthetically, have you two ever contributed something other than deriding people on forums? Or is that your special thing? Just curious.

It's kinda funny that if you replace all the fun little wackyinstruments Zimmer is using in that cue with his normal Strings PowerChords and percussion, it would probably sound just like a typicalZimmer score.

Hey Chris, if you replace your easy Zimmeristic themes with more complex ones your work tends to sound exactly like a typical Michael Giacchino score.

I'm not sayin'. Just sayin'.

You have $19.98 of my dollars for Black and Mercenaries 2 on iTunes. So I figure why not 2 more cents to make it an even $20 eh?

I'm quite aware of Chris's body of work and his talents. I'm actuallyquite fond of the two works I mentioned. But if he's going to make stupid comments like that as someone in the industry, he might wanna make sure he's John Williamsor Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner or Bernard Herrmann, instead of someone riding along on Giacchino's own little slithery string version (albeit far more talented) of Zimmer's RC.

I would have thought a working composer would get a little respect here but I suppose not. Sorry Chris. If you want to be treated with a little more respect, I think other forums on film music would be preferable.

because they walk the walk, they don't just talk out of their arse. And I was referring to Chris Tilton. But I guess I hold onto old ideals like respect for people who know more or have done more than I.

But I guess I hold onto old ideals like respect for people who know more or have done more than I.

So if you're not famous, you have not contributed?

Here's a shovel for you. Keep going.

they don't just talk out of their arse.

Chris hasn't walked the walk yet. He's writing mini-Giacchino music. And maybe he thinks me a jackass, but maybe one day he'll wake up and say "that crazy jackass son of a bitch from JWFan is right" and starts to pursue his own unique voice. Because he certainly has a lot of talent and potential.

Until then, he can't leverage anything against another composer's (or in this case musician's) voice/style, without being called out on his own.

Do you see where I'm coming from? It's like if Goldsmith came in and insulted another composer on their poor picks in movies to compose for. Or if I called out someone else in this thread for being brutal. :rolleyes:

He's still writing music featured in mainstream television and video games. I'm not sure why that doesn't count for much. I like how you;re turning the argument around as well. I never said your opinion doesn't matter, just asked why you are challenging Chris' opinion when he's frankly got a more enlightened perspective of the industry than you or I do.

It's kinda funny that if you replace all the fun little wacky instruments Zimmer is using in that cue with his normal Strings Power Chords and percussion, it would probably sound just like a typical Zimmer score.

I can hear that, totally.

When it comes to music sensibilities I'll take Dave's opinion over most people.

And if I were a director / producer, I would certainly have him score a film over Zimmer.

Chris hasn't walked the walk yet. He's writing mini-Giacchino music. And maybe he thinks me a jackass, but maybe one day he'll wake up and say "that crazy jackass son of a bitch from JWFan is right" and starts to pursue his own unique voice. Because he certainly has a lot of talent and potential.

Until then, he can't leverage anything against another composer's (or in this case musician's) voice/style, without being called out on his own.

Do you see where I'm coming from? It's like if Goldsmith came in and insulted another composer on their poor picks in movies to compose for. Or if I called out someone else in this thread for being brutal. :lol:

I'm not here to say my opinion counts for more than anyone else, as I don't think it does, but my comment about Zimmer is meant to be taken with a bit of jest. Isn't the ROTFLMAO smiley the universal symbol for "I'm kidding, don't take this comment too seriously?" Your comment on the other hand was a tad on the mean spirited side. Perhaps because you were angry at my comment about Zimmer and took it as me insulting him, and insinuating that I am better or more superior than he is. But let's clear the air right now. That was not my intent at all. Personally, I think I have quite a bit of stuff that doesn't sound like Michael, and perhaps a bit that does, but of course you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

Only those who don't know any better.

You've responded with a lot more grace than my comments deserved, but...

but my comment about Zimmer is meant to be taken with a bit of jest. Isn't the ROTFLMAO smiley the universal symbol for "I'm kidding, don't take this comment too seriously?"

Ah. Look again I think you might have forgotten the smiley. :lol: Which would explain the confusion...

Your comment on the other hand was a tad on the mean spirited side.

I'm the guy, who if I'm at a restaurant, have a bad waiter, I will make sure he or she knows what to fix. At the same time, if I'm impressed, I will make sure they know and are rewarded for it.

you were angry at my comment about Zimmer and took it as me insulting him, and insinuating that I am better or more superior than he is. But let's clear the air right now. That was not my intent at all.

And that is exactly what happened. And I'm glad that was not your intent.

Personally, I think I have quite a bit of stuff that doesn't sound like Michael, and perhaps a bit that does, but of course you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

I still get the impression that all the composers who worked/are working under Giacchino...and perhaps because you all orchestrate for him, tend to sound eerily like him. It's a trend I'd rather not see. I don't like it. Because it reminds me of how all the underlings of Zimmer produce scores just like him. Unlike synth samples, an orchestra has a vast range of sound, there's no excuse in this case. And in my opinion, Giacchino only really had that issue in the first Medal of Honor, and even that was barely close to Williams or Barry. But since then he has developed a sound and voice all his own that is unmistakeable.

I will say this Chris: your music has a lot more soul than Michael's when he was breaking through. He had a lot of style, but not necessarily a lot of substance and soul. He's gotten much better. If you can develop your own strong voice, I think you'll be among the superstar composers of the future.

Just in case: Blum's post above is clearly in direct response to Tilton's comments and NOT Fiery's.

Wouldn't want any more delicate souls to quietly implode, deep within themselves. For one, their loss would have huge consequences, at least as far as this place is concerned. Every forum needs a figure of fun, or two.

I'm not here to say my opinion counts for more than anyone else, as I don't think it does, but my comment about Zimmer is meant to be taken with a bit of jest. Isn't the :P smiley the universal symbol for "I'm kidding, don't take this comment too seriously?" Your comment on the other hand was a tad on the mean spirited side. Perhaps because you were angry at my comment about Zimmer and took it as me insulting him, and insinuating that I am better or more superior than he is. But let's clear the air right now. That was not my intent at all. Personally, I think I have quite a bit of stuff that doesn't sound like Michael, and perhaps a bit that does, but of course you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

Sigh...where have you gone, Chris Tilton of Filmtracks?

I'm not here to say my opinion counts for more than anyone else, as I don't think it does, but my comment about Zimmer is meant to be taken with a bit of jest. Isn't the :P smiley the universal symbol for "I'm kidding, don't take this comment too seriously?" Your comment on the other hand was a tad on the mean spirited side. Perhaps because you were angry at my comment about Zimmer and took it as me insulting him, and insinuating that I am better or more superior than he is. But let's clear the air right now. That was not my intent at all. Personally, I think I have quite a bit of stuff that doesn't sound like Michael, and perhaps a bit that does, but of course you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

Sigh...where have you gone, Chris Tilton of Filmtracks?

I stabbed him in the eyes with a conductor's baton.

But also, doesn't everyone on here say that MG sounds like John Williams or John Barry pastiche anyway?

I agree. Giacchino sounds like Giacchino.

Agreed with the agreement. Giacchino has one of the most distinctive sounds you could ask for.

I agree. Giacchino sounds like Giacchino.

Agreed with the agreement. Giacchino has one of the most distinctive sounds you could ask for.

His animated scores are top drawer. They serve the film so well. I think that's his uniformly strongest output if I had to single out a genre he is really adept at. UP is a terrific score and elevates the film.

Back on topic, I listened with an open mind to the examples and didn't hear anything new or different. Same limited harmonic choices with different instrumentation. It's like Doug Adams' line in the Geisha FSM podcast where he mentioned how ZImmer bragged about using the Taiko drums for LAST SAMURAI but just superimposed western rhythms and playing techniques on a Japanese drum rather than absorb the idiom endemic to that instrumentation. Same applies here. And honestly gents, I did HOPE to be delighted by a different sound from Hansy. But I wasn't.