Photo

The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Avengers Marvel

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#41 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

Filming has officially commenced. Looks like Whedon will be the sole credited writer (barring the "based on the comics by" credits) too.

http://www.superhero...e-a-first-photo

Very excited. Now we can speculate who will score...

Christophe Beck anyone? David Newman? Or Robert Duncan?

#42 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3859 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Very excited. Now we can speculate who will score...

Christophe Beck anyone? David Newman? Or Robert Duncan?

I suspect it will be someone like Djawdi, Jablonsky or some other RC guy.

#43 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

:(

It's a shame none of these characters or films leading up to The Avengers will have any musical continuity.

Thor is the only score that sounds good and Elfman's Hulk has been cast aside and forgotten.

#44 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I suspect it will be someone like Djawdi, Jablonsky or some other RC guy.

Don't say things like that. Unlike some directors who prefer the dumbed-down approach (I'm looking at you Chris Nolan), Whedon knows how to use a composer. While Whedon was working on Buffy, his episodes had some powerful and exciting music (especially the season finales). As far as Serenity goes, he wanted a composer who could do a different spin on the sci-fi score. But that had its moments too... especially in the last half of the film.

It's a shame none of these characters or films leading up to The Avengers will have any musical continuity.

Thor is the only score that sounds good and Elfman's Hulk has been cast aside and forgotten.

We don't know whether Whedon will stick to some kind of musical continuity. Who knows, he might get Patrick Doyle or someone from the previous Marvel films. (Chances are he'll get someone he's worked with on his shows or from his first film.)

I hope Alan Silvestri's score for Captain America will be good. But I hated Hulk, movie-wise and the music didn't stand out either.

#45 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20572 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

anyway it will be norton's hulk, not bana's.

so the composer to continuity-issue would be craig amstrong, if that was his name.

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#46 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yup. I say David Newman or Patrick Doyle.

#47 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73631 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

I say John Williams!

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#48 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

Yup. I say David Newman or Patrick Doyle.

Why Patrick Doyle? I'm certainly not against him if he gets The Avengers (provided he doesn't do another RC-inspired effort), but why him?

#49 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

No no. I was trying to figure out who could actually end up scoring the film, not who would I like to do so. I'm not sure who would I choose.

#50 Jay

Jay

I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure

• Administrators
  • 37929 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

Whedon directed the post-credits scene at the end of Thor:

http://www.slashfilm...its-scene-thor/

#51 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9062 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

If no-one else, I'd say Powell, Giacchino, or Howard Shore (Hey, it would be interesting to hear how he would handle it) would be who I would like to score it, but most likely it would be a RCP "composer"

well my words is made of fire time to burn

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#52 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

If it has to be a RC composer, then John Powell would be great. He's done two fine superhero scores (X-Men 3 and Hancock), and he can emulate the tone Marvel Studios wants.

#53 Michael

Michael

No one will ever know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2547 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

First (unrealistic) choice: John Williams himself.

Second choice: Powell. Or David Newman, who has worked with Whedon before...
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#54 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

I think David Newman has the chops to do it.

#55 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

I hate saying this, being a loving fan, but I don't trust Christophe Beck with action films like this, even though Whedon adds actual plots, emotion, and thoughtful design of plot & script -- which can inspire any talented composer, after thee (for me) lack-luster Percy Jackson, and from the samples I've heard, "Red". I think it would do Beck wonders to study with somebody like William Stromberg -- for example. Then I might look forward.

David Newman is my main choice. But I'm a little leary after "The Spirit" and "The Spy Next Door"; I want the Newman who brought us "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey", "Operation Dumbo Drop", so forth. If he can pull off something like B&T1 -- that would be icing on the cake of hiring him. And if, coincidently, he gets hired to score "Bill & Ted 3" (reported the script was finished Aril 25) -- that would be the best news of the year for me, sans Yared getting a historical epic film.

Robert Duncan, most certainly needs the break, and if his 7+ minute piece that ended "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is any indication of what he might do (imagine a big orchestra, too...), then hire this guy:

Joel Goldsmith gets a vote, too.
(check out the other three suites)

Heck, what about William Stromberg -- has he done any scores with a modern touchg, that I assume Whedon would want?

I want the standard players out (Silvestri [especially after "G.I. Joe"], J.N.H. [especially after "Green Lantern"]), and NONE -- not a single person who's ever worked with Zimmer or as part of his "camp".

And, being a champion of television composers, I'd love to see Velton Ray Bunch move up.
REJECTED FILM SCORES SITE
Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes! First chance i get."
-The Prisoner-

PLEASE NOTE: I don't sell CD-Rs, or trade MP3s -- do NOT contact me asking for those; I also don't do downloading/uploading. Just trade, CD-Rs.

#56 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

We are not exactly short of composers.

From the veterans in film, Christopher Young gets my vote.

JNH, go to the fantasy-thrillers room, over there, thank you. (And this is coming from a fan).

As for the Zimmr camp, if it was up to me John Powell could be allowed if given the time to develop something new for him.

#57 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

I want the standard players out (Silvestri [especially after "G.I. Joe"], J.N.H. [especially after "Green Lantern"]), and NONE -- not a single person who's ever worked with Zimmer or as part of his "camp".

I wouldn't count Silvestri out, especially if his Captain America score is a return to form. And granted, you hate Zimmer and RC passionately -- but I thought you didn't mind John Powell? So much more sophisticated, talented, and knows how to write a good theme. But considering the track record of directors on Marvel Studios' films bringing on their usual composers, I say Whedon has first pick on his composer. Christophe Beck is at his prime when he works for Whedon (he owes Whedon for the Buffy gig and the Emmy win), not so much with others. Robert Duncan is an all right choice, he's a guy I could get behind if he gets the job. David Newman I'm honestly on the fence on, but he can write some amazingly beautiful music when given the right film.

Even if Whedon gets a composer that's liked by a lot of people, the thorny issue is whether Marvel will 'encourage' he/she to keep a certain sound established in Iron Man and somewhat in Thor. I'd be happy if Whedon fought tooth and nail to get the composer to do their own thing.

#58 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16081 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Aren't Marvel just a comic book company? Who made them in charge of the music department?

#59 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 73631 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

They are the ones who pay for it all!

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#60 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16824 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

I wonder what would JW's RC-flavoured score sound like. ;)

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#61 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9062 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

I wonder what would JW's RC-flavoured score sound like. ;)

Karol

sorta like Steiner in the Grass, but even more electronics

well my words is made of fire time to burn

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#62 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

I think it would sound good.

#63 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

J.N.H., quite frankly, gets too many of the high profile assignments -- let somebody else have a shot.

Yes, I DO mind Powell; while I have found some of his stuff okay, I can name probably twenty-five to fifty people who coudl do better and need the work. He's certainly got no problem grabbing up bouncing CGI animal films, so let him enjoy his pigeon-hold.
REJECTED FILM SCORES SITE
Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes! First chance i get."
-The Prisoner-

PLEASE NOTE: I don't sell CD-Rs, or trade MP3s -- do NOT contact me asking for those; I also don't do downloading/uploading. Just trade, CD-Rs.

#64 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

Aren't Marvel just a comic book company? Who made them in charge of the music department?

Kevin Feige is the main producer of Marvel Studios. He was the reason Ramin Djawadi got Iron Man before he let Jon Favreau bring in John Debney for the sequel. Even then, Debney's voice got squashed almost entirely; the more I re-listen to Doyle's Thor the less RC it sounds. But you get the point.

Feige and the other producers want some form of musical continuity (or a similar sound). Whether it's a composer who's done a Marvel film before or new to it -- it's the producer's call. Some producers let the directors pick the composers and have "a hands-off" clause. Others, like Jerry Bruckheimer, don't want an old-fashioned sound but want something new and inferior.

#65 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 37929 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Here's a little summary article of what's known about the film

http://www.movies.co...t-film-yet/3130

And more new info including more villains in the film

http://www.slashfilm...engers-villain/

#66 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16824 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Has anybody seen that already?

Posted Image

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#67 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

I like it. It could be better if Hawkeye wasn't pointing an arrow at Capt. America's head.

My interest for this film still resides in Joss Whedon, Hulk and Iron Man. And possibly Thor.

#68 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 37929 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Its shooting in 2D, not 3D

http://www.slashfilm...s-shooting-2d/?

#69 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2824 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

The first teaser is attached to the end of Captain America. And yes, it has some great footage.

Comic Book Movie has some working links to bootleg versions of the teaser here.

#70 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16824 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Thor's got a new costume and Capt. America looks closer to comic book.

Karol
Films On Wax

#71 Demondm810

Demondm810

It's time..for.. Smee.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1359 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:32 AM

lol why is Loki in handcuffs? Must be part of a bigger plan...

#72 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19980 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:03 AM

Marvel Releases Final Concept Art from THE AVENGERS

Posted Image

TheLastHobbit_zps7ca46810.png

#73 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I wonder who will be playing Emma Peel and John Steed in this film?
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#74 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21486 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hollywood tried once, with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman. It bombed. This is a completely different type of Avengers, altogether.

I know you're trying to be clever and show all of us your age and culture, but know that the British spy TV show predates Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Avengers by only two years. You, of course, are slightly older than both.

#75 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16824 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Isn't Scarlett Johansson playing her? ;)

Karol
Films On Wax

#76 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21486 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

That would be Black Widow. Natalia Romanova. Natasha Romanoff.

#77 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hollywood tried once, with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman. It bombed. This is a completely different type of Avengers, altogether.

I know you're trying to be clever and show all of us your age and culture, but know that the British spy TV show predates Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Avengers by only two years. You, of course, are slightly older than both.

my age and culture, please, I was just being funny without you having to analyze it so succinctly. I never cared much for the marvel comic Avengers, they seemed like a knee jerk reaction to the Justice League only with less powerful superheros. Though this does show my age and culture, I was hoping Sub Mariner would be involved as a villain or ally, which ever the producers chose to do as he was both at one time or another.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#78 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30050 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Isn't Scarlett Johansson playing her? ;)

I have no interest whatsoever in this movie but if she played Peel then I would at least watch the trailer.

Grrr

#79 BurgaFlippinMan

BurgaFlippinMan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4470 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

#80 Wojo

Wojo

Who?