193 replies to this topic

#1 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

I collect two things. The first is soundtracks. I don't have any specific goals for my general soundtrack collection, but I do plan on owning at least one representation (ie I'm fine having only the Collector's Edition of Jaws) of every John Williams score that has been officially released.

The other things is movie ticket stubs. I started after 2008's Benjamin Button, and since then I have amassed 18 tickets.

What do you guys collect?
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#2 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25234 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

you've only seen 18 movies since Benjamin Button, hell I saw that many by summer 09.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#3 Hedji

Hedji

May the Lifelong Prosperous Force Be With You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

I collect Star Wars. Here's a link to My Star Wars Collection. I'm really into the prop replicas, and I love the vintage stuff, but both are damn expensive.

I also have quite a few Christmas trees and ornaments.

#4 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Isn't that Chewie mug supposed to be George Lucas' favorite piece of SW merchandise?

#5 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Yep. It's one of the earliest items produced. I love the expression on his face.

#6 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

I collect too much.

Besides soundtracks I collect Godzilla figures, Hallmark Christmas Ornaments (Star Wars, Star Trek & The Grinch) and I dabble in model railroading.

#7 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

It's a Christmas tradition for my mom to get me the annual Christmas ornament from the Texas State History Museum, our family is a member there. I've got every one since we moved back to Texas in '03.

When I was into NASCAR I collected model diecast cars, still have most of them tucked away in the closet, and still have several binders of baseball and football cards from when I was a kid up there too.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#8 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

I used to collect everything. Comic books. Universal Monsters stuff. Trading Cards. Monster Model Kits. I've scaled way back. Now it's pretty much just soundtracks and Star Wars. (With an occasional Indy, Jaws or Trek item).

The Hallmark Ornaments are fun. Mark, do you have all the Star Wars and Trek ones? I kinda gave up being a completist. The exclusive ones sold at Comic Con were out of my reach also.

#9 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

No I don't have the Comic-con ornaments. I have all the store issued ones, including the limited edition ones they put out for premiere day. The only ones I'm missing are a couple of the glass blown Star Trek ornaments.

#10 artyjeffrey

artyjeffrey

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

I'm into collecting/building model kits, books on the making of movies/special effects, and anything OT Star Wars (in particular, printed media). Weird, I guess.

And, I can say that all of these things in turn add to my dust collection ROTFLMAO .

#11 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

I'm a big fan of glass blown ornaments. My Mom raised us on them. The best stuff is done out of Italy, where the artisans craft them into figural characters with incredibly delicate limbs. They're harder and harder to find nowadays.

Got any pics of your Godzilla collection, Mark? or do you rotate pieces in a small area? It's always fun to see other peoples' crap. ROTFLMAO

#12 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15002 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

University degrees. I was thinking of doing a Juris Doctor next.

#13 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32345 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

I collect scores, and I guess DVDs? Not much anymore though. I also collect tickets stubs. I have most of the stubs from the movies I've seen since 1999. I think my first is The Blair Witch Project or The Sixth Sense. I don't really care about them anymore, but if I have one in my pocket I'll toss it into the pile.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#14 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Got any pics of your Godzilla collection, Mark? or do you rotate pieces in a small area? It's always fun to see other peoples' crap. :P

Whenever I post pictures of my CDs from time to time, you'll notice the figures are different. I rotate.

I mentioned in Johnny's CD collection thread that I've been wanting to do a video with my Hallmark Ornaments set to Goldsmith's music from TMP. Of course the Star Wars ornaments would be set to Williams' music.

I might just gather my collection of Godzilla figures and take some pictures.

#15 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Do you buy the Hallmarks right when they go on sale? I try to play the game of predicting which ones will be 50% off after Christmas. I really want that new Abrams Enterprise though.

#16 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

I would love to do it from a financial standpoint but no.

I go to their premiere weekend and get them right away. I don't want to risk missing them.

#17 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20407 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

I collect Williams, Giacchino and Roque Baņos.

Spielberg movies

Star Wars Novels

I also have all Michael Chrichton, Weis & Hickman Dragonlances, Indiana Jones novels... but since they are arround 14 books each is not really a collection isnt it?

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#18 Chris ChrusherComix

Chris ChrusherComix

Wise Sage of the Towner Knights, JW CD Collector Extrordinaire,

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2294 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Great thread idea. Got me out of a posting hiatus, haha! I, much to both my wallet's and wife's chagrins, collect far too many things.

- John Williams scores: Obviously mostly everyone here knows this one. In general I have every John Williams score on CD, both album and expanded versions. It all started when my mom accidentally picked up the 2-LP to Empire Strikes Back for me, thinking it was the "Storybook on Record" (back then before VCRs and cable, it was my only way of re-living the movie). A happy mistake. My collection's only flaw is the OST CD to Yes, Giorgio, which is far too rare and expensive for me to own (the LP and someone's excellent duplication on a CD-R with well-printed labels is what I have to go by). Also have a nice little LP collection of some of his stuff as well. I also have most of his concert works that I know of and a good chunk of his concert recording CDs (had to draw the line somewhere for my wallet's sake). Oh, and pretty much any DVD/Blu-ray with his music that I can find and buy I have as well.

- Star Wars: When I was a kid I collected *EVERYTHING* Star Wars, and it started in 1978/79 with a Luke Skywalker in X-Wing gear figure. But as I got older I limited it to just the figures and some accessories that I found cool and affordable. I used to try and get *every* figure between 1978-2002, but in knowing that this is impossible unless my wallet was deeper than it is, I have now limited this to only really nice new sculpts of movie figures (no expanded universe stuff interests me much) or original movie characters I don't have anywhere else in my collection, something I learned from King Mark. Fun fact: When King Mark visited me back years back, he picked up some figures for me on the way, haha! Now he no longer collects any anymore - same reason I cut down - too expensive and not enough room to "collect them all."

- Transformers: Way back in 1984, I was very pissed off over annoying kids in commercials saying "Robots in Disguise!" with evil demon voices and eyes. Then, a classmate brought a Decepticon jet to school, then I watched a Transformers episode when I got home and I got hooked for life. However, much like Star Wars, there are far too many of them to collect, and my collection is largely centralized around the era dubbed Generation One (or G1) of 1984-90, and the occasional cool items in every era since. My 1984-87 collection is *complete*, including rare alternates and such. I try to get most of the anniversary re-issues and re-sculpts of this era as well. The DVDs and Blu-rays of the G1 era are also part of this collection. My collection's only flaw is that is American-centric. There are plenty of Japanese and European Transformers from the 1980s that I could not get when they were out, and now can't afford, haha!

- G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Much like the "Generation One" of Transformers, my interest in GI Joe is centralized to the 1982-93 era. Most of the figures and a lot of the accessories. Like Transformers, I get all of the modern anniversary re-sculpts to supplement my collection as well. The DVDs and Blu-rays from this era are also part of it, as were the Larry Hama-written comics (the writer of every comic and creator of almost every character and file card from that era - it is *so* cool to have the father of GI Joe as a friend on facebook)!

- Comics: Back in 1988-1993, I collected comic books rabidly - especially anything with art by Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee and Art Adams. Sort of related are Calvin and Hobbes comic collections by Bill Watterson. Now, not so much, and I mainly just do my own comics and buy very few.

Sadly, just like action figures (and before that comics, and before that sports cards), collector/scalpers ruin collecting and make it both impossible and too expensive to maintain truly complete collections, and I had to back off of them all to specific, localized collections as explained in each. Meeting my wife also slowed down the collecting bug, not just myself to think about spending money on, haha.

- Shows off TV: I obsessively record things on DVD (and formerly VHS until I got a DVD recorder). I record every game of New York Jets football, San Antonio Spurs basketball, and episode of WWE on DVD. My recorded collections go back to the early 1990s.

- Eric V. Lustbader books: My favorite fiction writer, I collect all his books but started with the Nicolas Linnear novels, which would make some great movies if Fox ever made them into movies (I think that they'd sat on the rights forever).

I collect other things, but these are the worst habits.

-Chris ChrusherComix

ChrusherComix Studios now has published two comic books (Chrusher: End Cycle and Classic ChrusherComix), a comic strip collection (Towner), and a children's book (Tee & Wee). They are all available for sale online via Chrusher.com:
Posted Image
I also run Galletta's Go-Kart Club, make YouTube videos for the club, and run the sponsor's website. ( I also have Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Hi5, and Twitter accounts, so please add me. All of my websites and social networking links are in my "About Me" section!)

#19 davros72

davros72

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Doctor Who - books, videos, DVDs, CDs, DWMs. I have 3 bookcases stuffed (sometimes 2 or 3 deep on a shelf), as well as a couple of boxes for the magazines.

#20 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Random crap. A ton of vintage and new Star Wars figures and vehicles. Wittled it down to a few things on show, including in the dining room:

• Dangermouse statue
  • Universal monster statues
  • Sideshow Han Bespin and Luke Jedi figures
  • Mego Kirk and Spock figures
  • Wrath of Khan Kirk figure
  • BSG classic viper
  • R/C Wall-E
  • Indy Mighty Mugg
  • Vintage Max Rebo Band and Jabba
  • Sideshow Bride of Frankenstein figure

Also placed around the house, there's:

• Vintage Tauntaun
  • Light up Eye of Sauron
  • Sideshow Premium format Darth Vader statue
  • Vader, Chewie and Boba Fett mighty muggs
  • McFarlane Alien queen
  • Reissue Soundwave and Prowl
  • Hot Wheels Batmobile '89
  • R/C TDK Batmobile
  • Corgi Spy Who Loved Me Lotus Esprit

Then there's an attic full of stuff, as well as DVDs, CDs, BDs, PS3 games.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#21 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Doctor Who - books, videos, DVDs, CDs, DWMs.

I used to collect the Virgin New and Missing Adventures series and the BBC's Eighth and Past Doctor lines. They're all gone now, though.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#22 Johnnyecks

Johnnyecks

Collector extrordanaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Right now I'm collecting parts for the rebuild of a 1958 Plymouth Fury. Yes... THAT Plymouth Fury.
Hopefully I will hit 2,000 posts before 12/21/12.
Facebook Me: http://www.facebook....cks?ref=profile
AOL IM: Johnnyecks
Stay strong! Always vigilant. Never forget 9/19/04

Posted Image

#23 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

John Williams music.

I have the entire Hasbro Indiana Jones action figure line, vehicles, playset and all.

I have a vintage Vader case full of old figures. Among the better ones are mint/complete (aside from the coin) POTF Lando, Anakin in Kenner bag and a bunch that are in just beautiful shape like Jedi Luke, Ben and the bounty hunters. I also have a stack of the cardbacks.

I have TNG crew from the Playmates and Galoob Star Trek toylines.

I have the first series of POTF2 figures, purely for nostalgia. These were the first new figures for my generation and I still remember being flashed the Vader on the orange card the summer of '95. Regardless of the insane physiques (even Threepio looks kind of buff) and a manly-looking Leia, I will always cherish these first figures. They are awesome.

I have a bunch of Kenner Dark Knight Collection and Batman Returns figures. Another big franchise from my childhood (and now life). Many very cool figures like the original crime fighter movie Batman figure, Keaton Bruce Wayne with attachable Batman suit, Nicholson Joker with color-changing face and the long-ass pistol he used to shoot down the Batwing, sexy Catwoman with sculpted tits and ass (very controversial and life-changing in my youth) and the weird Penguin figure that looks nothing like he did in the movie.

I used to collect modern Star Wars, but I've lost interest. They don't do it for me anymore.

Currently collecting Hot Wheels 1:50 scale Batman vehicles from the Burton movies. But they're tough to collect since they're only available at Toys R Us and are prime scalping material. I currently have the Batmobile, Batmissile and Batskiboat. Just need the Batwing and armored car.

#24 artyjeffrey

artyjeffrey

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

I don't get how you guys get away with placing stuff on display in various rooms of your homes. Doesn't your wives/girlfriends get crazy over that? All of my stuff is herded into the "office." :)

#25 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25234 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

I collect too much.

Besides soundtracks I collect Godzilla figures, Hallmark Christmas Ornaments (Star Wars, Star Trek & The Grinch) and I dabble in model railroading.

Star Trek and Snoopy ornaments for me, I quit collect the Grinch after about 10. I have more ornaments than I can put on one tree.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#26 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

Most of my stuff is in boxes where it's preserved in baggies. I think I'd be a bit embarrassed to have people over with a bunch of Star Wars and Star Trek figures lining shelves. I DO have a Millennium Falcon parked on top of my fridge, but somehow you can get away with that. Same thing with the Arnold T2 final battle figure posed like he's being lowered into the steel, on my bread box.

#27 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20797 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

I don't collect. I hoard. You may see me on A&E shortly.

#28 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25234 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

there are many horders here. I have no doubt that Mark O has more CD's than he can ever listen too, as do many others here.
I'm not picking on him but he's just easy to point out as an uber collector. Course he has better taste than just about anyon here except for Miguel perhaps.

#29 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • 26275 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

John Williams c.d.'s + any unreleased music tidbit

At some point I was collecting Hasbro Star Wars figs but I stopped.They're lying in a big box in a closet.I opened them all so they're not worth much

Random movie figurines (Alien,Lord of the Rings...).

Movie posters (I like to put them in frames on my walls).I change them once in a while. Just got the original Raiders poster last week, it looks great next to the original Star Wars poster.

I'm also into entomology and I have an insect collection, mainly tropical butterflies from around the world. (I buy them on ebay)

#30 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:21 AM

there are many horders here. I have no doubt that Mark O has more CD's than he can ever listen too, as do many others here.

I already feel like I have more than I can listen to, and I've probably only got a tenth of what Mark has. It's scary.

#31 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

I'm flattered but some of you might be disappointed if you saw my CD shelves.

Joe'e correct, I probably do hoard :), but at least my house is neat and I'm not ashamed to bring people in.

In answer to Jeffery's question, I don't have all my stuff out around the house, there is a limit with Mrs. Olivarez. But I never wanted to put it all over the house, I just wanted a spare bedroom to display my stuff in.

I rotate my stuff so I have different figures on my CD shelves. And it doesn't embarrass me to have guests over with stuff on display.

#32 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 26275 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

I used to have those movie figures all over the place. Now only one shelve with my favorite ones

So it gives the impression that's I'm somewhat a movie geek, but not too geeky

#33 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

Well I don't have them all over the place, just on top of my CD and DVD shelves.

#34 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 26275 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

That's cool.

I also "toned down" the Star Wars stuff in favor of other film figures. My most recent figure is a Final Fantasy figure to show my new found interest in Japanese RPG's

#35 Hedji

Hedji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

My Wife is kind enough to let me have the finished basement. I'm very lucky. But there is none of my crap in any other room of the house, which is fine.

I used to hoard action figures. Then I realized I had all these plastic men in boxes that I never looked at, so I sold off most of them, only keeping my vintage stuff.

#36 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

I have my Bat vehicles displayed along with Sunstar Back to the Future (original) DeLorean. I still need to get the Diamond Select Ent. D to have all my favorite geek vehicles displayed.

#37 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15002 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:22 AM

There's a difference between a hoarder and a collector. A hoarder denotes an individual with a mental disorder who can't seem to be able to throw anything out, and I'm talking about stupid things like junk mail, newspapers, bills, pamphlets, even clothes and furniture, plus a lot of useless junk that one doesn't really need, if only for that stupid excuse "but I might need that some day!" - and others can suffer from "empty nest syndrome" and collect animals!

I'd think it's more likely that most posters here are just collectors of fine objects that are linked to their esoteric interests, which gives them a certain kind of value, and have an organizational structure to each of their home environments. I think there's an inner desire for some people to have their homes look like a library or an archive, which is pretty cool.

#38 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 26275 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

I try to keep my apartment as sparse as possible and think about every new object I buy. I also throw away any usless objects or obsolete media (videocassettes,tapes,floppy disks...) and electronics(broken DVD player...ect..)

But I still like to have "specific" collections.

#39 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

My wife is a geek too and has some of her own stuff on display, which is how I get away with it.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#40 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

The only thing I continually collect is cds. I have a dvd/blu ray collection but I only add to that when the price is right. I also collect Star Wars merchandise, but again I don't buy much and only if the price is right.

I collect my movie stubs, I have been saving them since 1997. I also save the ticket stubs for every concert and sporting event that I have been too. I hope to have a bar in my house one day and have all my concert/sport tickets be under the counter top. My friend's brother did this with his tickets and it is definitely a great conversational piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users