996 replies to this topic

#41 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well the GF and I finished season 1. Episode 2 was definitely the weakest of the three, but episode 3 was great!

... up until the final scene in the pool room. I felt like I was suddenly watching something of infinitely lesser quality. That Sherlock would just give the missile plans to Moriarty... what? Seemed off-character. I expected it to be a fakeout and they were not the real plans, not that Moriarty wouldnt even care about them.

I feel like they really just introduced Moriarty too soon. Would have been better if the first 2 seasons were just Sherlock and Watson solving random cases, and at the end of maybe 1/2 - 2/3rds of them you saw that Moriarty was the mastermind behind them... then maybe in Season 3 introduce him on-screen.

They way they handled the onscreen encounter in this episode was just.... weak. Too much gun play, between the rifles and Sherlock having a gun and the bomb on Watson and just...... blah, I dunno.

And the cliffhanger!!! Frustrating!!

0N4P3tb.jpg

#42 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

... up until the final scene in the pool room. I felt like I was suddenly watching something of infinitely lesser quality. That Sherlock would just give the missile plans to Moriarty... what? Seemed off-character. I expected it to be a fakeout and they were not the real plans, not that Moriarty wouldnt even care about them.

I feel like they really just introduced Moriarty too soon. Would have been better if the first 2 seasons were just Sherlock and Watson solving random cases, and at the end of maybe 1/2 - 2/3rds of them you saw that Moriarty was the mastermind behind them... then maybe in Season 3 introduce him on-screen.

You watch too much American TV! :D
Seriously, I like it a lot better like this, and it is in character: Sherlock doesn't care about some missile plans (and Moriarty neither; compare it to the Rabbit's Foot), it's the intellectual challenge he's interested in - he's finally found a worthy opponent, so to speak.

#43 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Right, and the intellectual challenge is great, and I want that too..... but Sherlock didn't really outwit Moriarty in the final scene.... Moriarty just... left... then... came back and decided to kill him........ it was weird and a huge letdown from the rest of the episode. Sherlock solving the other 5 cases were all brilliant.

0N4P3tb.jpg

#44 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

Well, I didn't consider it a letdown, but I see what you mean: Sherlock indeed didn't do anything to outwit him - unless there's something we don't know yet of course!
Moriarty changing his mind did seem a bit weird at first, but I actually think it makes him creepier and terrifying as a villain; just like the fact that he's pretty young.

#45 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

I do wonder how the hell the cliffhanger will be resolved. If Sherlock shoots the bomb, they'll all die. If he shoots Moriarty, his snipers will take out him and Watson ; They'll all die.

Maybe he'll jump in the pool?

Another character will show up before he shoots? But who?

0N4P3tb.jpg

#46 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Well, Watson's girlfriend left a message on that faux Sherlock site wondering where everyone was, so I'm guessing she might bring the cavalry.

#47 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Started watching this. It's excellent.

I'm officially converted to the Church of Cumberpatch, and Freeman is an excellent Watson. Love the friction between these characters.

Liked the way it's been film and edited, stylish, but not overbearing, tight, but not incomprehensible. Music is pretty good. Also it's not too heavy-handed, despite the often grim subject matter.

Only one episode to go, sadly.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#48 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

I am disappointed with what they did with Moriarty. I expected a menacing figure, but got an arrogant prick.
Apart from that, the show is great and I am looking forward to next 3 episodes.

#49 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17869 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

It's fantastic. Can't wait for season 2.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#50 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'm sure Sally came round for a nice little chat, and just happened to stay over. And I assume she scrubbed your floor, going by the state of her knees.

Posted Image

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#51 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

When's the second season on the air, anyway? Wasn't the first around this time of year?

#52 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17869 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

According to the BBC, it's airing this fall, but to the best of my knowledge no dates have been announced yet.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#53 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Interesting how like, yet how completely unlike Cumberpatch and Freeman are to their literary counterparts. The same characters, but updated to the modern environment. (dropping the characters like they are in the book into 2010 would have been a disaster)

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#54 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

Interesting how like, yet how completely unlike Cumberpatch and Freeman are to their literary counterparts. The same characters, but updated to the modern environment. (dropping the characters like they are in the book into 2010 would have been a disaster)

What about dropping modern-like characters into 19-th Century, like in Guy Ritchi's version?

#55 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

I have yet to see that version. It looks like an interesting, but basically nonsensical film.

Anyway. Jeremy Brett is MY vintage Holmes!

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#56 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

It looks like an interesting, but basically nonsensical film.

So is my opinion. To my surprise, I liked that movie, mostly because of the Downey Jr.-Law duo which really delivers. It was sort of a guilty pleasure to me. The story is merely an excuse for some witty or not so witty but geniuinely funny dialogues and gags.

#57 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

I must seek it out then. I just hope Moriarty isn't in this one.

In the original Conan Doyle writings he only features in a single one story. But somehow he's been turned into a sort of Voldemort. Probably by those early Rathbone films...

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#58 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, the movie is more about Holmes and Watson while Sherlock of course deals with that, but definitely puts more of a focus on the actual plots. Both have their merits, though the tv show is great and I hope they continue to do them for a few more years. Unfortunately, both are getting a considerable amount of film work lately so I expect that's unlikely, but at least we'll get six (hopefully) good quality films out of the duo.

#59 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Unfortunately, both are getting a considerable amount of film work lately so I expect that's unlikely, but at least we'll get six (hopefully) good quality films out of the duo.

Depends on for how long they signed up.

And neither Cumberpatch nor Freeman are very likely to become big Hollywood stars. They are more ensemble or supporting actors, character actors even.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#60 Sedohr

Sedohr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Isn't it curious how the music in the episodes by David Arnold and Michael Price are somehow similar to the Hans Zimmer music in the Hollywood film. Especially the use of cymbalom I think...The gloomy atmosphere in minor..deep cellos...
Great music. Both the BBC and the Hollywood ones.

#61 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

You mean how the Hans Zimmer music is somehow similar to the Arnold/Price score.
:)

#62 Sedohr

Sedohr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

You mean how the Hans Zimmer music is somehow similar to the Arnold/Price score.
:)

Oh, I thought Zimmer got there first. :eek:

#63 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

No, the first version of the BBC pilot was scored months before. I'm not sure if there was any imitation going on, though; I seem to recall Arnold saying it was coincidence - but I could be mistaken.

#64 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Could just be both watched The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. The music in that one is surprisingly similar to the two more recent incarnations.

#65 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

No, the first version of the BBC pilot was scored months before. I'm not sure if there was any imitation going on, though; I seem to recall Arnold saying it was coincidence - but I could be mistaken.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I thought the show must have been temptracked with Zimmer's music.

#66 Sedohr

Sedohr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Could just be both watched The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. The music in that one is surprisingly similar to the two more recent incarnations.

A good point. But I don't find them all that similar. There is one theme in there, a gypsy-esque that bears some resemblance.The rest is very Hollywoodish

The fact that we have solo-violins and mandolin/dulcimer sounds playing folky minor themes is what they have all in common. The violin part is understandable since Holmes plays the violin himself. But that the turn of the century eastern European style ends up in all those movies isn't all that clear to me. Modernized for sure in the BBC version, but still there.

Could it be that that sort of music was the top40 sound in Sherlock's time?

#67 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Oddly enough I think both the BBC and the Dutch Ned 1 are showing the 3rd episode on exactly the same day at exactly the same time...

I can watch the Dutch channel in HD though!

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#68 JanBing

JanBing

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

And still no sign of a soundtrack release?

#69 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Saw the third ep which was an improvement over the previous one, which ran out of steam a bit.

Interesting that Cumberpatch and Hugh Laurie (in House) play essentially the same character.

Moriarty was an interesting, if maybe a bit... Russel T. Davies type villain.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#70 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9700 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

I tholught that Moriarty was awesome. The tension in his scene is just superb. Moriarty felt like straight out of a Batman story. I haven't read his story in the books but I imagine he's completely different there.

#71 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

Moriarty only features in 2 Conan Doyle stories directly and is mostly an unseen threat. so there is little characterisation.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#72 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Interesting that Cumberpatch and Hugh Laurie (in House) play essentially the same character.

That's because House is essentially modern Holmes. His relationship with Willson mirrors that of Holmes and Watson and last but not least even his flat number is 221B.

As for Moriarty, he was some sort of professor in the original stories, wasn't he?

#73 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Holmes is better at martial arts than House, though.

#74 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Holmes is better at martial arts than House, though.

That goes without saying.

#75 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70590 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

That's because House is essentially modern Holmes. His relationship with Willson mirrors that of Holmes and Watson and last but not least even his flat number is 221B.

As for Moriarty, he was some sort of professor in the original stories, wasn't he?

LOL, you think I don't know that? ;)

Both are updated version of Holmes. But both are also different from the literary Holmes in the same way.

Both take a greater pleasure is talking down on other people then the literary version did. Both are quite bitchy. (though House morseso)

Cumberpatch's Holmes seems a-sexual though, like the thought of a physical relationship is beneath him. Something certainly not true for House.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#76 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

LOL, you think I don't know that? ;)

I don't know. From your post it seemed like some sort of revelation to you. I guess, I underestimated you, for which I beg your pardon. ;)

#77 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35895 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Update from David Arnold:

#Sherlock update. All episodes are locked. Completing the music score, sound mix and grading. Done by the end of the month. Very exciting.

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/paul_mcguigan/status/132451078145966080

0N4P3tb.jpg

#78 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Excellent! Has there been any news yet when they'll air on the BBC?

#79 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

Ah, so they have been filmed! I was hearing conflicting opinions on whether Moff/Freeman/Cumberbatch had had time to do it.

I wonder if a score release is waiting to include music from both seasons.

#80 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 35895 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

They must have filmed season 2 before Freeman and Cumberatch headed to NZ for The Hobbit. Though I can't imagine it would have taken this long to edit the footage together. Unless season 2 features a lot of scenes that neither Freeman nor Cumberbatch is in... but that doesnt' seem likely.

I agree a score CD will probably turn up shortly after Season 2 airs with music from both seasons

0N4P3tb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users