What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah the ethereal stuff is where it shines.

Definitely. That plus the cool electronica bits, Frost/Nixon rhythmic stylings and the lovely colour accents he uses to support some of the more emotional stuff.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLMaEAenNo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da3vi0c9qOg

To its credit though, I do enjoy the neoclassical shades of the Electro material. It's the dub step and the whispering that goes too far into the deep end.

JAWS_rerecording.jpgET_105089000.jpg

Both are the re-recordings ! YEAH BABY !! :woop:

ET is not a re-recording!

OK, my mistake, but it's an arrangement right? Some tracks are subtly different from the 1996 edition which I also love.

Track #1 "Three Million Light Years From Home" is the same as the 1996 or 2002 track "Far From Home", just with a section microedited out

Track #6 "E.T. Phone Home" is the same as the 1996 track "E.T. Is Alive" (The 2002 version of "E.T. Is Alive" has a section microedited out)

Track #8 "Adventures On Earth" is more or less the same as the 1996 or 2002 track "Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye", just with some different takes, overlays and inserts used or not used between the three versions.

Track # 2 "Abandoned And Pursued" is a special version of "E.T. Alone" recorded just for the LP.

Track #4 "E.T.'s Halloween" is a special version of "The Magic of Halloween" recorded just for the LP.

The remaining three tracks - "E.T. And Me", "Flying", and "Over The Moon" - are concert arrangements recorded just for the LP.

See here for more info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdG12WENnUDd3U183cUZHZmtOV1otQUE&output=html (Note there are two tabs)

Lincoln by John Williams: It is a cold grey autumn day so I needed some warm soothing Americana to cheer me up. Ah Johnny coming back to this music is like coming back to a dear old friend.

Funny enough, I don't remember a thing about it. I'm sure I heard it a few times, but for some reason I have no recollection of it.

Agreed. Those are the 4 scores from that era I like the most as well. MI2 is rubbish.

DT, we have such similar tastes in music it's freaky.

Yes the Z-man sure doesn't make em like he used to. :mellow:

Yes he does.

:lol: Good one!

Yes the Z-man sure doesn't make em like he used to. :mellow:

Yes he does.

And better than ever.

ROTFLMAO You guys are hilarious today!

Guild Wars: Eye of the North - Jeremy Soule

I haven't listened to this in years, and I was doing a clean-up when I stumbled onto my CD-R. Still a really good listen, and impressive for an entirely sampled score. The strings sound live at times, especially in "Ballad of Ice and Snow."

OUTCAST - Lennie Morre

Game score that employs huge orchestra and choir and flip-flops stylistically between Goldenthal's FINAL FANTASY and Davis' MATRIX scores. The writing isn't quite as distinctive but compared to what passes for sci-fi score these days we should thank our lucky stars for a huge and lazy male demographic that regularly seats their pants before a video monitor rather than having a life. Thanks mates, you made it possible!

OUTCAST - Lennie Morre

Game score that employs huge orchestra and choir and flip-flops stylistically between Goldenthal's FINAL FANTASY and Davis' MATRIX scores. The writing isn't quite as distinctive but compared to what passes for sci-fi score these days we should thank our lucky stars for a huge and lazy male demographic that regularly seats their pants before a video monitor rather than having a life. Thanks mates, you made it possible!

What are you doing typing these words in front of a computer monitor when you could have a life? :P

Outcast is pretty much its own thing in the orchestral world, no FF or The Matrix, at least not what I can hear. It's grand, it's sweeping, it's beautiful, it's everything that symphonic music could hope to be, and the game was actually improved immeasurely by it. I know because I played it and it's great.

What are you doing typing these words in front of a computer monitor when you could have a life? :P

You equate typing a 2-minute summary with professional gaming?

Outcast is pretty much its own thing in the orchestral world, no FF or The Matrix, at least not what I can hear.

What? In the 'orchestral world'? It sounds like standardized film music repertoire (not a put down, it's still better than most stuff nowadays).

You equate typing a 2-minute summary with professional gaming?

Outcast is pretty much its own thing in the orchestral world, no FF or The Matrix, at least not what I can hear.

What? In the 'orchestral world'? It sounds like standardized film music repertoire (not a put down, it's still better than most stuff nowadays).

1. Just jesting dude, no need to take it so serious. :)

2. To have such music and call it standardized is what's wrong here. It shouldn't be taken for granted. The composer was inspired by the greats of course but that doesn't make Outcast any less impressive.

1. I expect u to like computer games and that makes you an object for my open ridicule and mean spirit!! ( :mrgreen: )

2. Let's say we may have different standards there. I never would label a work like this as more than promising. So many better scores in a very similar idiom have been already written.

David Arnold - Independence Day (LLL)

This score just keeps getting better with time. Love every second of it.

Michael Giacchino - Mission Impossible 4 Ghost Protocol

I think I like this score a little more each time I listen. I never disliked it, but I never loved either, but I'm starting too. The Russian and Indian bits are still my favorite bits.

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (Deluxe Edition)

Still loving this score and this release, but I really need to make a personal edit / playlist that replaces most of the revised cues with Silvestri's original intentions, cause I like his original more thematic and emotion versions better than the more dissonant revised versions

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

Still loving the shit out of this score. Recently learned the SoundCloud release is wildly out of chronological order - some time I gotta hunker down and figure it out.