What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'll listen to some of Horner's best tonight when I get home from work.

? John Williams - Far and Away ?

What a great start for this superb sunny day! I'm on holiday, it's Québec's National Holiday. What's next?

Sneakers

If I had to chose one score that defines Horner's 1990's and 2000"s style then it has to be that one.

You can almost separate his career into two sections when talking about his style. Before and after Sneakers.

It is really a wonderful score.

My favourite Horner. I rewatched Apollo 13 yesterday. I don't have the CD, so I'm going purely by what I hear in the film. But if you strip away the fanfare and the accompaning vocalised theme (which has a curious similarity to Williams' later Victory Celebration), you basically end up with a reworking of Sneakers. Only not nearly as great.

And original too. There isn't too much that was taken directly from previous work.

There's a shitload of Philip Glass in there.

Sneakers

If I had to chose one score that defines Horner's 1990's and 2000"s style then it has to be that one.

You can almost separate his career into two sections when talking about his style. Before and after Sneakers.

It is really a wonderful score.

My favourite Horner. I rewatched Apollo 13 yesterday. I don't have the CD, so I'm going purely by what I hear in the film. But if you strip away the fanfare and the accompaning vocalised theme (which has a curious similarity to Williams' later Victory Celebration), you basically end up with a reworking of Sneakers. Only not nearly as great.

And original too. There isn't too much that was taken directly from previous work.

There's a shitload of Philip Glass in there.

Didn't know that, and don't know Glass too well, but you know what they say, it's either half-full or half-empty. :D

Marian tends to go for half empty. And there's a lot more to Apollo 13 then just a Sneakers reworking!

Listen to the CD dude!

I just did....

Maybe i was a too-big Horner fan back then but there are so many noticeable lifts (sometimes wholesale) from BRAINSTORM, SNEAKERS, CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, PELICAN BRIEF, GLORY and so on that i never could really enjoy it beyond THE LAUNCH (i'm also not keen on the cooing chorus).

It's ideal for newbies, though.

John Williams - Catch Me If You Can

I must admit it's the first JW soundtrack where I had to pull apart the source music, it's too much distracting.

I'm listening to the original Inception release. Haven't played it much ever since the full score leaked. But it's a fantastic album, maybe Zimmer's best as far as his "concept" approach goes. It reminds me very distinctly of the time surrounding the film's release, which coincided with a great trip to Los Angeles that solidified my desire/need to move here eventually. Good memories.

I must admit it's the first JW soundtrack where I had to pull apart the source music, it's too much distracting.

To me, the Sinatra piece is inseparable from the film.

To me, the Sinatra piece is inseparable from the film.

Oh I love Sinatra, I love him very much and have many many of his albums. I know his career very well, all the periods, well I'm a little bit of a fan.

And I love all the pieces on this album.

But, I've found that they contrast too much with the JW tracks.

I was just going through my music library and getting rid of extraneous stuff, and came across this cue. Does everyone else agree that this was the one time Hooper, and maybe even anyone besides Williams, got the "sound" of these films right?

Titanic

I've had a love/hate with this one for a long time, actually ever since the film came out. It has all the elements of a great score, but by many accounts, Horner fucked it up with all this annoying synth weirdness, which may or may not have aged well. I always come back to it regardless, so he must have done something right.

I was just going through my music library and getting rid of extraneous stuff, and came across this cue. Does everyone else agree that this was the one time Hooper, and maybe even anyone besides Williams, got the "sound" of these films right?

I think there are many moments where Hooper got the sound right.

Marian tends to go for half empty. And there's a lot more to Apollo 13 then just a Sneakers reworking!

Listen to the CD dude!

Oh I will, someday. I don't have it, and from what I can tell, it's best to wait for an expansion before picking it up.

Judging from the film, there's some nice stuff in there, but nothing that truly grabbed me, and all the Sneakers stuff seems to be not as good as in the actual Sneakers itself.

And as for Sneakers, the Glass doesn't bother me, I love the score. I'm not too keen on the Beethoven bit, but not because of the Beethoven, I simply don't like the theme and its orchestration as much as the rest of the score.

I like the synths too. They sound goofy but oddly appropriate.

It's the one Horner score i just don't like at all, not the main theme, not the Rose theme and the fake choir syncopations are flat-out awful. But then, it's just a (one) movie, right?

I had Titanic stuck in my head the weekend before Horner flew, which was weird because I hadn't seen the film or heard the score for years before.

Now I have Star Wars stuck in my head...

The Four Feathers by James Horner

Horner's last truly daring score and my favourite post-2000s work of his. Horner had a real flair for ethnic writing when he's inspired, and I think was the last score where he really brought those chops to the table. It's a shame we won't be able to hear him channel that same raw, creative power again.

Didn't i recommend it to you? Minus the piano noodlings it's actually one of the best ethnic scores i have.

INDECENT PROPOSAL - John Barry (Intrada redux)

I did pass on this till now, finding it impossible to find anything beyond the by-then wake-comatose languidness that was late-career Barry. Though only later it became clear that there was a method to this and now, years after Barry's passing what seemed then grating now seems pretty unique- has anyone mastered the technique to basically sleepwalk through the most basic of chord progressions and still make it 100% personal?

INDECENT PROPOSAL is a bad concept movie and Barry knew quite well how to handle it: the music ennobles and makes what is superficial Hollywood b/s into something that shines and has weight like a Cartier diamond. It's pretty useless to analyze it on musical terms, there's silky strings, piano and some bass and the cumulative effect of listening to Intrada's 80 minute release is a feeling of intense Barryness that doesn't need to be deeply analyzed or studied...it's just there and if you don't get bored by it chances are you will somehow fall in love with it.

I had Titanic stuck in my head the weekend before Horner flew, which was weird because I hadn't seen the film or heard the score for years before.

Quick, think about something else! NOW!

No! Don't hurt Harrison Ford!

Titanic

The Rocketeer

The Kung Fu Kid

Wait, so Smith Jr. isn't performing karate??? But it says so in the title !! Surely they knew the difference. :P

The Four Feathers by James Horner

Horner's last truly daring score and my favourite post-2000s work of his. Horner had a real flair for ethnic writing when he's inspired, and I think was the last score where he really brought those chops to the table. It's a shame we won't be able to hear him channel that same raw, creative power again.

Definitely... It's fantastic... I'm repeating myself but 'The Mahdi' must be one of the top tracks he has ever composed. Such unrelenting power !

Didn't i recommend it to you? Minus the piano noodlings it's actually one of the best ethnic scores i have.

I was a fan of the score before I joined this board! I believe it was Sharky you introduced this score to.

And yes, I agree, one of the finest ethnic scores I've heard.