4687 replies to this topic

#881 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Usually people wait at least for the dvd before breaking the magic. Is the desire to have each and every mundane production detail laid out before one's eyes so powerful that they can't at least wait until the season's finished before watching? Why watch the show at all, if we can't suspend disbelief for longer than fifty minutes? What is the point? Bloodboal watches each episode not as an entertainment, but as clinical examination; it's little surprise he didn't get caught up in the unadulterated fun of Tintin.

The same people who watch these publicity vids with eager embrace are the same people who defend Lucas' Midichlorians.

I am but a Messenger, Englishman. I do not decide what is wrong or what is right, what people should or should not see. I just give them news. It is their choice to decide what they want to do with it.

You, you're just a selfish weenie wanking prick, who wants to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, see or not see, eat or not eat. You're a control freak. You're a dick. But I like you, because you're English, and I like your country. But that doesn't make you less of a dick!

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I do think that Tintin is unadultared fun! The comics, that is. Not Spielberg's travesty of a film, with Blue Ominous dudes doing useless things, or falcons that are no falcons!

About midichlorians... What are you talking about? I've never heard of anything called midichlorians, so I have no idea what is your point here.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#882 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I had five minutes to kill.

#883 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Speaking of the show, have the new characters convinced you yet Quint?

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#884 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I must admit it was a bit jarring when suddenly in the first episode there was this redheaded witch on the beach and some old coot protesting against her. Frankly, I didn't like it - who were these people? Where is Winterfell? Where is The Wall? Why can't I see Jamie Lannister in this shot? Mummy, I don't like it, I want to go home! But then Stannis Baratheon was named as one of their number and I cautiously begun to ease down a bit. I let my guard down and watched with curiosity, which by the end of the scene ended with a sense of mild intrigue.

#885 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think this scene would have worked better as an opening for the season, rather than at the end of the first episode. That way, it would have given the beginning an atmosphere of mystery, much like the beginning of season 1. As it is, it just feels weird to have that scene at the end of the first episode, in my not so humble (yet not misguided) opinion.

#886 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Well the whole Dragonstone scene would have been better as the opening as it was in the novel. It would have added a bit of mystery, presenting us these strange people and not a whiff of the old cast and then gone to King's Landing to restore our sense of familiarity.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#887 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

That sounds much better. I wonder fat made them change their mind? (one assumes it was the original idea.)

Pressure from execs? "our viewers might think they're watching a different show! Where are Daenery's tits?"

#888 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I wonderfat too.

#889 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

That sounds much better. I wonder fat made them change their mind? (one assumes it was the original idea.)

Pressure from execs? "our viewers might think they're watching a different show! Where's Daenery's tits?"

Yes probably something like that I would imagine.

#890 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

I wonderfat too.

Blame auto-correction on my phone.

#891 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35926 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Did anybody see the Game Of Thrones bit on SNL this weekend? Hilarious

http://gawker.com/59...game-of-thrones

0N4P3tb.jpg

#892 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

:lol2:
It all makes sense now!

#893 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I wonderfat too.

Blame auto-correction on my phone.

It's easy to blame others for one's mistakes, Englishman, but it takes courage to admit one's mistake!

So you don't watch the show, but you watch parodies of the show? Seriously, LeBlanc?

#894 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35926 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Did you watch the video? It's not a parody of the show

0N4P3tb.jpg

#895 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Don't change subject! All I know is that you're not watching the show, man!

#896 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Oh god I haven't seen those episodes yet, but I just know they're gonna wind me up. The juvenile gratuity FUCKING RUINS this show.

#897 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Oh god I haven't seen those episodes yet, but I just know they're gonna wind me up. The juvenile gratuity FUCKING RUINS this show.

Yup. Sadly there are even transitions from bed to bed in the second episode. :P

#898 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hopefully in years to come there'll be a brilliant fan edit - Game of Thrones: The Rated Soft Edition.

Violence left intact, obviously.

#899 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Next on Game Of Thrones: sex with dragons! It's gonna be flammy!

#900 Docteur Qui

Docteur Qui

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Great episode. Thoroughly getting into the meat of Clash of Kings, and if the preview of next week is anything to go by, one of my favourite moments of the book (with Davos and Melisandre) is coming up soon... Excellent.

Also, I'm personally glad to see some gay sex on the show. Some sexposition for lads like me, finally.

#901 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sexposition is bad in all its forms. There is no justification for it, ever!

#902 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well yeah. I agree.

Plus I find it typical that in the series this Renly/Loras relationship was basically thrown into our face with no subtlety at all. In the novels it was hinted at very subtly in words and actions of people but was left pretty ambiguous for a long time. Infact one of my friends hadn't figured it out by the 4th book yet before I mentioned it to him. Film is a different medium yes, but I still think "show it all" mentality of these modern series could use some toning down. But they have not shown that much subtlety in depictions of most relationships in the series. Of the carnal kind I mean.

#903 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9700 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I haven't seen the new episodes but by the way you describe it, it does sound like a waste of screentime.

#904 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8691 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yup. Sadly there are even transitions from bed to bed in the second episode. :P

That was an absolutely horrid scene...done with no class whatsoever. While I absolutely adore the show, the sex remains one of its big flaws...but I'm betting that a lot of its viewers come on board because of the sex or the fabled rumours of the sex...perhaps thats why they're so persistent with it. Although the SNL video proposes a very solid theory too :P

Well yeah. I agree.

Plus I find it typical that in the series this Renly/Loras relationship was basically thrown into our face with no subtlety at all. In the novels it was hinted at very subtly in words and actions of people but was left pretty ambiguous for a long time. Infact one of my friends hadn't figured it out by the 4th book yet before I mentioned it to him. Film is a different medium yes, but I still think "show it all" mentality of these modern series could use some toning down. But they have not shown that much subtlety in depictions of most relationships in the series. Of the carnal kind I mean.

Spot on! Its extremely subtle in the book while the author barely hints at it in some chapters. I must confess, even I was blinded. I recall watching the episode in the first season where Loras gives Renly a blowjob, and I was like WTF?! First I came think "Oh boy...here's another series that seems to think making popular characters gay in carnal fashion is the latest trend!" because lets face it, a LOT of historical fiction series (especially ones based in the Middle Ages) seem to enjoy exploiting that aspect. But then I re-read the books shortly after that and came to realize that the author does hint at their relationship and that it was all legitimate. But still, WHERE IS THE SUBTLETY?! Its yet another thing that makes the books so fantastic...

I haven't seen the new episodes but by the way you describe it, it does sound like a waste of screentime.

Not the latest episode. Yes there are moments of sex in it, but at least it was handled better than the ep before that. People have to keep in mind that while the show features gratuitous sex, the show has a lot of merits going on for it (the great sets, the fabulous acting, the intelligent writing, the intricate character nuances, etc.). Especially the latest episode (best of the bunch I must say). It is most definitely not a waste of screen time.

#905 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

But the sex IS a shameless waste of precious screen time - remember: we get a miserly ten episodes per season. I wouldn't mind the stupid shagging if this were a thirteen+ episodes show, but it ain't. Every single minute is vital to the development of characters and story; there is no room for wastage - especially in the form of cheap titillation.

I've only watched E1 so far, but if it's as bad as you guys make it sound in subsequent instalments I can see myself getting very annoyed and ultimately left disappointed with this (otherwise great) show in general.

The makers of Game of Thrones need to grow the fuck up.

#906 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8691 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

They need to fire that 13-year old who runs this thing ;)

Anyways, the sex is at its worst in ep. 2, during the particularly unpleasant montage. But in all other aspects, the show only gets better. Especially in the 3rd episode which was absolutely fantastic, if you can get past the sex, it'll be worth it.

I have a feeling that we've gone through the worst of it and the sex will be toned down from this point forward. Although it has come to my attention that trailer did show an upcoming scene with Robb...oh boy...

Regardless, it does get better in the other installments...eventually.

#907 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9700 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

A writer whose blog I read sometimes defends sex as a potential intelligent form of characterization (she wasn't talking about this show in particular). But the matter is tricky, in my opinion if one is looking to create drama and tension you have to be careful with sex because it tends to imply the opposite.

#908 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

There's definately some truth in that, but the makers of GoT clearly lack the maturity and the skill as film makers to successfully convey sex with any degree of sophistication. The sex in GoT is by design ratings bait, nothing more; except I'm not even convinced the makers approach the titillation with even the slightest bit of irony.

Stanley Kubrick, amongst others, would've made the sex as challenging drama, work.

#909 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5064 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

There's definately some truth in that, but the makers of GoT clearly lack the maturity and the skill as film makers to successfully convey sex with any degree of sophistication. The sex in GoT is by design ratings bait, nothing more; except I'm not even convinced the makers approach the titillation with even the slightest bit of irony.

Bait indeed, nothing more.

And I, as an old impotent, sometimes even like to watch porn.

#910 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Just watched the second episode. Can anyone who has read the book tell me whether or not the ridiculously sinister scene between Little Finger and the prostitute (from Winterfell) happens in it? That part stretched my suspension of disbelief to breaking point. A first.

#911 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

Just watched the second episode. Can anyone who has read the book tell me whether or not the ridiculously sinister scene between Little Finger and the prostitute happens in it? That part stretched my suspension of disbelief to breaking point. A first.

No it does not happen in the novels firstly because this prostitute character is not in them and secondly because Littlefinger does not frequent brothels in the story nor is he a point of view character so we wouldn't know if he did.

#912 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

So the writers invented it. Ugh. It was truly awful, I thought. Just major overkill with all the subtlety of a hammer blow to the head. So far that scene is for me the series low point.

Just as well there's plenty of greatness peppered around it, but I still can't shake the feeling the writers might lose control further in.

#913 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8691 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Wait till you watch the 3rd ep, it gets better! And hopefully it'll continue to improve with the episode on Sunday.

#914 Docteur Qui

Docteur Qui

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I think it's hilarious how you people react to the sex scenes, considering the level of violence that is also on display on the show. It baffles me. Do you want a realistic interpretation of the setting or not?

Also, yes, the Loras/Renly relationship was subtle in the books.... But they were also written a good 15 years ago, when the literary and televised worlds were a lot more homophobic. Not saying GRRM is, but just saying... it wouldn't have been as accepted as it is now.

#915 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9700 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think it's hilarious how you people react to the sex scenes, considering the level of violence that is also on display on the show. It baffles me. Do you want a realistic interpretation of the setting or not?

Sex = good = relaxing = adds little = might hinder narrative under time constraints.
Violence = bad = tense = adds a lot = it rules.

It's not about realism.

Of course, put this way, it might sound like we're overreacting, but that's not the intention.

#916 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

What has violence got to do with it? We don't cut away from one dramatic scene to another to see it introduced with slit throats and laced with hewn-in-half bodies strewn amongst the interiors.

#917 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18096 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Just finished watching the 4th episode! Pure gold this time, pacing excellent, things happening on all fronts, performances continuing strong and the plot is thickening satisfyingly. They showed that they can very effectively advance most storylines in one episode and I guess the first three episodes were more of setting the foundation and starting point for everything. Only one semi-sexposition (whore torture) scene which only showed how little it is needed in this series when the drama itself is enough to keep you watching.

Ser Gregor Clegane's actor has been changed for some reason. Odd.

Oh and finally Lord Tywin is back! Wohoo!

The ending of the episode was awesome, almost exactly how I imagined it from the novel! Powerful stuff.

#918 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29642 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Nice!

#919 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8691 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I agree with Incanus. This was a fantastic episode; the best so far. And it's clear proof that the show is still at its A-game. The drama was far more intense, the pacing was brilliantly done and the storylines were managed with excellence. It was extremely engaging and the sets and visuals really impressed in this episode. Harrenhal was even more gruesome than I imagined it. The ending was also brilliant and as Incanus said, it was JUST as I imagined it. On that note, I am really liking the actors for Stannis and Melisandre now. At first I was hesitant, but they really made an impression on me with this episode. Dinklage was brilliant as usual. And it's nice to see Tywin again. The ep was also largely sex free! Yay! Of course with the exception of the brief scene with Joffrey but even that was not as horrible as past episodes and it actually effectively served the purpose of showcasing Joffrey's madness. That scene gave me the chills.

The music was however horrible as expected. There was a very nice reprise of the Starks theme, but other than that, there was nothing to enjoy. And no sex theme too!!! So what's the Djabadabada if there's no sex theme?!?!?

#920 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

Although I haven't been around in this thread, I've been watching the new season, and I still feel about the same about the show. There's something about it that keeps bringing me back, even though I'm not sure I actually like it. I am finally getting better at remembering who all the characters are, though. :P

And yeah, the sex remains pretty gratuitous and tasteless. I mean, I've said it before - I love boobies as much as the next guy, but this is just unpleasant overkill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users