rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

I was at the May 15th show!! :o

Did anyone record the broadcast??

I do have it :o) ... I will try to upload it soon as it'll be possible ;)

Thanks!!!

---

I'm going to tonight's show!!!! John Williams on Star Wars' 34th birthday, can't get more epic than that! :D

#42 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

I think I might be going tomorrow night.

#43 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm also going tomorrow night. My girlfriend and I will be eating dinner at that noodle place nearby for dinner before the show, then waiting outside to hopefully get JW's autograph after the show

#44 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

You will have to show me where to wait to get his autograph.

#45 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

This should explain it:

Posted Image

There'll be a whole crowd there

#46 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

So basically the backside of the building?

#47 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

yep. You literally just wait outside after exiting. Last year I stood there with my then-GF for 45 minutes in the rain with a group of ~20-30 other people

#48 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

It's behind the stage area where he comes out, right? Where the backstage area would empty out.

#49 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

I dunno about that. It's where the arrow points in the pic I posted. You won't miss the crowd of people standing there

#50 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'll just walk around the entire building until I find it.

#51 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

Basically it's not on the side of the building with Betty's Wok and Uno's.... and its not on the side with the main entrance that everyone will be exiting at.... its on the OTHER side. Not much going on over there, but you'll see a security guard by an exit and a group of people waiting.

Also - if you guys want to PM me your cell #s, I can text/call you at the show, we can meet up for a drink if you want, etc.

#52 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Heh, sounds like you guys are planning some triangulated ambush for the Maestro, maps and all. :lol:

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#53 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

Haha, it's really not as complicated as Trent and ET think it might be :)

#54 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

I wish you good luck and I really hope you get to meet Williams and get his autograph! :)

Man I would love to hear the Oboe concerto, not to mention the rest of the programme.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#55 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Well in '08, he got right alongside me while signing and taking photos and then security rushed him into his car.

I kinda want the Blue Box signed. But I'm wondering if silver sharpie will show up on it. If I fail tonight, I'll try Saturday.

#56 scottsinct

scottsinct

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:44 AM

Well, he did come out about 45 minutes after the concert ended. Sadly, there were several people who didn't even go to the concert (wearing old t-shirts and ratty pants) with literally dozens of CD's bombarding Williams, who are then probably going to just sell them on eBay. He did sign many of them, and the security told them to leave, but they just went to a place Williams hadn't been yet... when he got there, he saw them again, got upset, and got into the BSO1 car and left. So no picture with him this year. Just the attached photo while he was signing autographs.

Attached Files

#57 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, that was really unfortunate. They didn't seem to be concert-goers. I was actually embarrassed. People were assaulting me from behind and I realized it was the same guys who'd been on the other side of the tape getting Star Wars junk and photos of Williams signed. I thought he wasn't going to sign for me but one of the security guards told him I'd been waiting.

Posted Image

The third movement of the oboe concerto sounded like the Meet the Press theme.

#58 rpvee

rpvee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

It was a GREAT TIME!!! Setlist was the same as in the program (I think it was posted earlier in the thread), except during the "Villains" part, he replaced one cue with the "Jaws" theme. Encores were:

"Luke and Leia", which is one of my favorites and was INCREDIBLE to hear live properly (Star Wars in Concert was hardly adequate, but still fun), and I almost cried. Such a beautiful theme.

"Superman Theme", same as usual.

"Stars and Stripes Forever", also the same as usual but still great fun, American flag and all. No dropping balloons this year though.

Afterwards by the stage door was a pleasure as always. Williams seemed to be in GREAT spirits, very happy and talkable. I just got home 25 minutes ago or so, and it's 2:30 AM, so I'll post a much more details recap in the next couple days. However, I leave you with this:

Posted Image

:D

#59 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

Wonderful pic! Thanks for sharing your impressions. So, how about the Oboe Concerto?

#60 Andrés Valvader

Andrés Valvader

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

Well, he did come out about 45 minutes after the concert ended. Sadly, there were several people who didn't even go to the concert (wearing old t-shirts and ratty pants) with literally dozens of CD's bombarding Williams, who are then probably going to just sell them on eBay. He did sign many of them, and the security told them to leave, but they just went to a place Williams hadn't been yet... when he got there, he saw them again, got upset, and got into the BSO1 car and left. So no picture with him this year. Just the attached photo while he was signing autographs.

Greetings. I can use the picture on my blog?.
Andres Valverde
(John Williams Composer Blog)
JWC BLOG

#61 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6047 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

I was slightly disappointed they replaced Witches of Eastwick with Jaws.

Night Journeys was awesome. That was an alternate choir-less version. Can't wait to hear it again.

Luke and Leia was a shortened version. I noticed right away parts were missing. Never heard it like that before.

#62 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

Luke and Leia was a shortened version. I noticed right away parts were missing. Never heard it like that before.

I guess it's the same shortened version that appears also in Star Wars In Concert suite. It has some really abrupt edit points. I don't know why Williams removed bars here and there.

#63 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3571 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

Williams is getting 'old man's skin', it seems. Very natural, but also a sad reminder that no one is immune to ageing.

#64 ckappes

ckappes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Found this one on youtube:

But what did you mean by "shortend version"? I know the concert version of Luke and Leia but not the shortend version. Any clips to compare?
„With his strong classical background and his creative musical sense, John Williams has written majestic and wonderfully thematic scores for STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Through his music he has provided the most emotional heart of the films. I feel these score are among the best ever done and are equal to many of the classical pieces we have come to love.”

- Gary Kurtz

#65 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

It appears Williams removed several bars from the usual concert version as heard on the ROTJ OST album and on several Boston Pops compilations. I heard it for the first time during the Star Wars in Concert.

#66 tannhauser

tannhauser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

So . . . any recordings?

Oboe concerto sounds great from reviews. Apparantly it's just scored for oboe and strings.
Oh, War Horse is great! - John Williams

#67 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Where are you reading these reviews?

#68 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3204 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Boston Globe, man!

http://www.boston.co...r_movie_rocker/

#69 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

And

http://www.bostonher...te_movie_magic/

#70 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

From the reviews, it sounds like a gorgeous piece. I hope we can hear it soon :)

#71 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing it tonight :)

#72 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Lucky you! :)

On a sidenote, it appears that Saturday concert program has been slightly modified--in lieu of Jaws, he'll perform "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from The Last Crusade.

#73 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32146 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Oh wow I woud LOVE to hear that live!!

#74 tannhauser

tannhauser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, that was really unfortunate. They didn't seem to be concert-goers. I was actually embarrassed. People were assaulting me from behind and I realized it was the same guys who'd been on the other side of the tape getting Star Wars junk and photos of Williams signed. I thought he wasn't going to sign for me but one of the security guards told him I'd been waiting.

Posted Image

The third movement of the oboe concerto sounded like the Meet the Press theme.

Can you elaborate on the oboe concerto at all? How did it compare with his other concerti? More or less accessible and tonal? How long was it approximately?
Oh, War Horse is great! - John Williams

#75 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Frank Lehman's review of the Concerto for Oboe can be found on the site's main page.
"I find that Williams' scores have a strong narrative which comes best out in correct order." -- Incanus

#76 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

Lehman's review is so glowing and descriptive I am now positively anxious to hear the Oboe Concerto. Looks like it was a terrific night all around. :)

#77 Andrés Valvader

Andrés Valvader

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

SCHERZO FOR MOTORCYCLE AND ORCHESTRA
ANALISIS-AUDITION GUIDE

JOHN WILLIAMS / BOSTON POPS (VIDEOS)
A Tribute to george Lucas and Steven Spielberg, Imperial March, Superman Theme, Stars and Stripers Forever. Hooray for Hollywood (May 25).

#78 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25531 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

that's nice, but what we really want to hear is the Oboe concerto

#79 Andrés Valvader

Andrés Valvader

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

that's nice, but what we really want to hear is the Oboe concerto

Me too. Oboe concert not be recorded. Saturday passed but with a change of program. It removes the oboe concerto. Instead, memories of a geisha.

#80 Foxfan

Foxfan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Yeah... those hoodlums with stacks of LPs were certainly embarrassing. I hope they don't show up again tonight and ruin the other fans' chances. If I were John I would have been tempted to sign something other than my name...

I did manage to get a word in and say that I was looking forward to "War Horse" and "Tintin", to which Williams replied "Oh.. War Horse is great."

As for the playing, I would say "1941" was probably the highlight of the evening. Comes across so much better live than on a recording... unfortunately the Finale from "Far and Away" was the opposite... both times I heard it they've been unable to match the energy and epic-ness of the OST at the end of the piece. The trumpets also screwed up big-time during the Spielberg/Lucas tribute when they forgot the all-important B-flat note when transitioning between "Jaws" and "Star Wars - Main Title".

Personally I thought the Oboe Concerto had a few similarities to Born on the 4th/JFK (1st movement), Geisha (2nd movement), and Adventures of Mutt (3rd movement). If I had recorded it I maybe could have provided some more in depth analysis but that's all I remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users