Photo

John Williams: A Night At The Movies (October 25th 2011, Lincoln Center, New York Philharmonic)

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 Yoda75

Yoda75

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

What if contacting JW and meet him all together in name of JWFan, so far that we could find some tickets???? ;)
The dreams are made to be realised
May the force be with you

#42 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

We'll get the tickets. I have a feeling. The VIP ones! :)

Ever the optimist. I like that. :D

This may turn out to be quite a JWFan reunion. We'll need to plan accordingly--none of this "quick drink" beforehand. We need to make it an event.

Why, that's a helluva idea! :) I totally agree, it would be so cool to actually have a reunion! Let's do it! :D

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#43 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

So, as the time draws near I'd like to ask who is also attending this concert, so we could maybe meet and go for a drink before the concert? In case you haven't yet bought the tickets they are still available here (second and third tiers are sold out but there are still (expensive :P) tickets left in first tier and orchestra).

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#44 DigitalfreakNYC

DigitalfreakNYC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

Is there a set list yet?

#45 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

I'll be at the concert, anyone else besides us two?

Is there a set list yet?

Nope, no program yet.

#46 obiwan71

obiwan71

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

I'll be there too. This will be my second time in NYC. Needless to say, I have fantastic memories of my first stay back in 2008 and am thrilled to go back to attend the concert. :D

#47 Johnnyecks

Johnnyecks

Collector extrordanaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

Damn I really want to go to this. Don't think I can afford it though. :(
Hopefully I will hit 2,000 posts before 12/21/12.
Facebook Me: http://www.facebook....cks?ref=profile
AOL IM: Johnnyecks
Stay strong! Always vigilant. Never forget 9/19/04

Posted Image

#48 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

I paid $225 for my ticket. I didn't really want to pay that much, but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

#49 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

... but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines and so was MAG-SI and since we're from that far away, we also felt this was our last chance and one not to be missed. We fly to NYC in exactly one month, so we're pretty much starting the final countdown today ... :)

So, at the moment, there are 4 of us: Joe Brausam, obiwan71, MAG-SI and yours truly, but how about many others - Maurizio, JWfangirl1992, proteussyndrome, Yoda75 and Johnnyecks who all expressed interest/intention to attend this concert? ;)

-- Konrad Lorenz

#50 dfenton85

dfenton85

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'm also attending. Given JW's age, this may be my last chance to see him in concert so I've treated myself to VIP orchestra tickets. I only saw him once before at Tanglewood in 2005.

Can't wait!

#51 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3812 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

So, at the moment, there are 4 of us: Joe Brausam, obiwan71, MAG-SI and yours truly, but how about many others - Maurizio, JWfangirl1992, proteussyndrome, Yoda75 and Johnnyecks who all expressed interest/intention to attend this concert? ;)

Sadly, I can't join the posse... Family and work obligations prevented me to set up this trip. However, I've already seen JW in concert two times and I even snagged him for a picture, so I can say I already had my moment of glory :)

Enjoy the concert and have the time of your life!

#52 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

So were any of you guys hoping to meet up before or after the concert for drinks or a meal? I'll be going alone to the concert because I couldn't convince anyone to spend the money to go, so I'm free to do something.

#53 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

The website didn't post a program yet, but FSMO posted this blurb about iron their concerts listing....

Oct. 25, New York City, Avery Fisher Hall, John Williams, cond.; “John Williams Conducts the New York Philhamonic,” featuring Spartacus (North), Vertigo (Herrmann), various Williams works, and accompanying film clips.

I'm really excited to hear Spartacus live, that will be awesome!

#54 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34451 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

So he won't be debuting anything from Tintin at this concert?

zNlRTkr.jpg

#55 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2306 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

So he won't be debuting anything from Tintin at this concert?

Who knows. If he performs anything from the new score, it will probably a surprise.
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#56 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3812 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

A promo spot for the NY concert:

I think it's likely Williams will perform something from Tintin as a surprise encore.

#57 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34451 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Really?! Awesome!

zNlRTkr.jpg

#58 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3812 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

It's just speculation on my part, I wish I could know more! :)

Since the movie will open in those very days in Europe, I thought maybe JW could make a nice Tintin present to an American audience.

#59 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

That would surely be nice but what matters more to me right now is how we could corner him for some autographs and photos after the concert! :P Does anybody who has already been to the Avery Fisher Hall have any idea where he might come out of the building after the concert so we could wait for him there?

-- Konrad Lorenz

#60 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

The stage door, I forget where exactly it is though. I'd love at least a signature too, if not a picture!

#61 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7535 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

Will anybody be recording this (just in case they DO play some Tintin?

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#62 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

The only part I was planning on recording was Spartacus.

That being said, last time Williams conducted the Phil they put the recording on their site for a limited time the following March or April, I believe.

#63 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

So were any of you guys hoping to meet up before or after the concert for drinks or a meal? I'll be going alone to the concert because I couldn't convince anyone to spend the money to go, so I'm free to do something.

Sure thing, I'm game and hopefully the others are too! :) I think maybe after the concert would be even better since we could exchange impressions, opinions etc., though I'm somewhat worried I won't be able to speak, especially if I manage to meet the man after the concert! :D

But we somehow have to agree on something which will enable us to recognise each other as JWFan guys, anybody have any idea? :)

So, coming to this concert are: MAG-SI, Joe Brausam, obiwan71, dfenton85 and Maglorfin. Did I forget anybody? Yoda75 and Johnnyecks, are you guys coming?

-- Konrad Lorenz

#64 JWfangirl1992

JWfangirl1992

is the worst boardie known to this site

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

I paid $225 for my ticket. I didn't really want to pay that much, but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

Same, 100 more than back in 07 but for the same logic. If this is his last show here I want to make damn sure I got a decent seat =]

EDIT: Back in 04 when I went he came out through the garage immediately got into his limo and left, I was so close I got there as he was stepping in. Last time I hanged around after the Open Rehearsal (which I am quite upset they arent doing this year) and he was signing autographs but by the time I got to the front he was leaving -__-. Bit of bad luck for me

#65 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34451 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Welcome back JWFangirl!

zNlRTkr.jpg

#66 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Maybe you have to wear a big sticker with your JWfan username.

#67 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Sure thing, I'm game and hopefully the others are too! :) I think maybe after the concert would be even better since we could exchange impressions, opinions etc., though I'm somewhat worried I won't be able to speak, especially if I manage to meet the man after the concert! :D

But we somehow have to agree on something which will enable us to recognise each other as JWFan guys, anybody have any idea? :)

So, coming to this concert are: MAG-SI, Joe Brausam, obiwan71, dfenton85 and Maglorfin. Did I forget anybody? Yoda75 and Johnnyecks, are you guys coming?

After the concert works best for me anyway, because I'll be rushing to get to the concert as it is! I can't get out of work until 5pm that day..

Ways to identify each other....I'm not creative enough to come up with an idea! But I'll definitely be heading for the stage door after the concert to try and catch him, so seeing as I'm sure we all plan to do that it might be a good spot to agree on meeting each other. I'm having a tough time deciding what I'd like to get signed though, if I get the opportunity!

#68 JWfangirl1992

JWfangirl1992

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

Haha if we come up with something to wear I'm in, but I'm still a youngin' even though I've been a boardie (and a horrible one at that) for the past five years so no drinks for me.

#69 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

According to the Phil's Facebook, Gil Shaham will be at the concert too! He'll be performing the solos for Schindler's List, Fiddler on the Roof, and Scent of a Woman (Por Una Cabeza). Should be really cool to have him there!

I think I'll bring the Born on the Fourth of July signature edition score for him to sign, if there is the opportunity. I have a strong emotional connection with that score, so I figure it would be appropriate.

#70 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7535 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

How about you all wear Iron On shirts of your avatars? :biglaugh:

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#71 JWfangirl1992

JWfangirl1992

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

I bought the original E.T. soundtrack from back in '77 (?) thats definitely coming with me again this year. I really wish he would do a meet and greet type thing, would love for the chance to chat with him.

Edit: Haha Faleel, you guys can have fun with that. I have no need, teenage girl at a John Williams concert I'll stick out like a sore thumb lol

#72 obiwan71

obiwan71

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

It would be great indeed to have a meeting after the concert. Now I'll have to locate that stage door everyone's talking about.

#73 sagart

sagart

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well, I feel a bit silly. I posted the following in a new thread (thanks whomever moved it), not noticing this one and the asking of similar questions!! Sorry guys! Any info on that stage door would be most welcome!!
Hello to all! I feel a bit cheeky asking this, not being a regular poster, but here goes. I'm flying in from Ireland next Monday, with the sole purpose of attending the concert with the New York Philharmonic next Tuesday (I fly home on Wednesday!!). As a life long fan of the Maestro, this will be a huge tick off my bucket list. I was wondering if it's worth my while bringing along anything for him to sign. Does anyone know if he signs at the stage door at his concerts or is it purely down to luck, being in the right place at the right time? Attending the concert will be unbelievably brilliant, I know it will; getting a chance to meet him, even for a couple of seconds and thank him for the music would be incredible. Has anyone had the pleasure or can anyone offer advice? Many thanks.

#74 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Williams does not have a history of signing things at the NY Phil concerts. In fact, if I remember correctly JWFanGirl got royally snubbed at the last one.

That being said, it's worth the try. I'll certainly be waiting for him!

#75 AI

AI

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Post deleted.

#76 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34451 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

A.I. is now banned for a week.

zNlRTkr.jpg

#77 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68760 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

Is there anyone why did not see this coming?
Who let the abomination back in?

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#78 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34451 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Ricard.

zNlRTkr.jpg

#79 JWfangirl1992

JWfangirl1992

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Williams does not have a history of signing things at the NY Phil concerts. In fact, if I remember correctly JWFanGirl got royally snubbed at the last one.

That being said, it's worth the try. I'll certainly be waiting for him!

I wasn't completely snubbed, but I believe I was 15 at the last concert and I was waiting by the stage of the Open Rehearsal as he was talking to the head violinist and I was like calling his name trying to get his attention with a few other people and he ignored us all. Not gonna lie I was pretty upset, especially only being fifteen but he is a busy man.

I definitely am going to be a little more aggressive in trying to get his autograph this time especially if it may be my last opportunity!

#80 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7535 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

I wasn't completely snubbed, but I believe I was 15 at the last concert, and I was like calling his name trying to get his attention and he ignored me. Not gonna lie I was pretty upset, especially only being fifteen but he is a busy man.

I definitely am going to be a little more aggressive in trying to get his autograph this time especially if it may be my last opportunity!

Posted Image
"This is an unexpected move for her... its too agressive"

XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users