• Please log in to reply
3408 replies to this topic

#521 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32980 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Mac's new OS is heavily influenced by the iPad. It seems very soon they will be one and the same.

#522 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3269 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

My sister wants to give me $450 for my 32gb 3G iPad 2, so I'll sell it to her and buy the comparable iPad 3.

#523 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

The volume DOWN button on my iPod Touch 3G 32gb had been completely unresponsive for a good while so i decided to take it apart for a cleanup - armed with YouTube and a Stanley knife.

I utterly destroyed it. It's now in the bin.

Note to self: don't attempt to open up Apple gadgets again.

#524 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2676 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

:o
There's no such thing as a mistake.

#525 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

The volume DOWN button on my iPod Touch 3G 32gb had been completely unresponsive for a good while so i decided to take it apart for a cleanup - armed with YouTube and a Stanley knife.

I utterly destroyed it. It's now in the bin.

Note to self: don't attempt to open up Apple gadgets again.

I hope it wasn't under warranty...

My mom gave my little brother an old iPod Video 80GB. I had to recently take that apart and replace the screen. All though something in it is still not working right with the screen. Either way it was a pain in the ass to take apart. Putting it together was easy, it was taking apart that was the hard part.

If you have an Apple product that's still under warranty, best to take it into an Apple store and let them look at it. May just give you a new one, especially if it's an iPod or iPhone.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#526 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

Nah, it was nearly three years old. Since I got my phone it's collected dust anyway; I wasn't that bothered when I broke it, if I'm honest. It was only going on ebay.

#527 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Nah, it was nearly three years old. Since I got my phone it's collected dust anyway; I wasn't that bothered when I broke it, if I'm honest. It was only going on ebay.

Ah okay.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#528 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, I'll be gettin' one...

It's just a hyperbolic commercial to a lot of people, but to those who know , it's as real and easy as it looks. Say what the fuck you want about Apple, but they are the ONLY gadget designer who make you feel like you're touching the future. The first few words of their design philosophy are what separates them from their competitors, and that's what makes them really appealing to HEAVY users such as myself.

#529 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32980 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Still not worth the price tag.

#530 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Utter bullshit. 400 quid is an absolute bargain for such cutting edge technology. The iPad 2 is genuinely one of the best, most worthwhile purchases I've made in the last five years. That I can still sell it on for an excellent price is confirmation of that. You're talking bollocks, Koray.

#531 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32980 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

When we reach the day that 64GB of space doesn't cost an extra $300, then I'll buy one.

Apple products are great, but they fuck you over on hard drive space.

#532 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73536 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Indeed.

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#533 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Lol, you're both thinking of them as laptops/pcs again. Schoolboy error.

We only have the 'measly' 16gb version. After a year of ridiculously heavy usage we still have over 2gb of free space - and even then the used memory is being occupied by easily deleted gimmicks from the app store. Free apps, games, some 69 pence impulse buys; you get the idea.

Instant at hand media consumption is what we use the iPad for. We'd be fine with 8gb. Think of that storage space as an endless Temp Files folder and you get closer to what tablets are really for...

It's a fact that the biggest detractors of tablet computers are either the totally clueless (fine) or they just completely miss the point (ignorant).

#534 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32980 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

My viewpoint is that there shouldn't be tablets and laptops. They need to be one in the same, or priced according to what either product can do. A Macbook isn't that much more than an iPad, yet it can do so much more with the same type of portability.

This is why I have a $200 Kindle Fire. For its price, it does exactly what I expect it to. I don't need nor want to draw up documents on it. I use it for web browsing, reading, and the occasional game or app. Apple advertises that iWork and iLife are now fully capable on an iPad, yet I've had them both for over 4 years on my Macbook. Why is that special?

When technology reaches the point where an iPad can be a detachable screen portion of a Macbook, then I'll get excited. Though with the company's focus on cloud storage, I doubt their products' hard drives will change at all. But of course you have to pay to have them store your files.

Quint, why is a 64GB iPod Touch the same price as an iPad 2? Things like that make no sense to me.

#535 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9749 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Tablet computers are not for me. If I go around around with one, I couldn't help but start filling it with stuff as usual and missing a keyboard.

#536 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

Still not worth the price tag.

Agreed this is why I refuse to buy a Mac, a Macbook Pro or an iPad. For what it costs to get a Mac (regular computer) I could build me two custom computers at the same price that would be faster and bigger (terms of hard drive space). If Apple lowered their Macbook Pros (laptops) or even their regular computers to the standard prices of other laptops / towers then I'd get one. Until then I'll stick with the iPod.

GAC2.jpg

#537 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I've changed my mind. I read a live feed of the Apple show yesterday and I (and some of the reporting media) heard Tim Cook say that, "EVERY New iPad has 3G connectivity built in." He must have fucked up, because all trace of such a major new inclusion appears to have vanished completely. The claim is not backed-up by the Apple Store website in any way shape or form. Therefore, I cannot justify getting rid of the iPad 2 and upgrading. The new super-HD visuals may well be the dog's dick, but they aren't worth paying 200 quid for. Fuck no, the iPad 2 is still very much capable and functional on every level; bar useless camera upgrades.

I'll wait till next year. I wonder if I'm the only one?

#538 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

My viewpoint is that there shouldn't be tablets and laptops. They need to be one in the same, or priced according to what either product can do. A Macbook isn't that much more than an iPad, yet it can do so much more with the same type of portability.

I kinda agree with that.

my 9 Inch Netbook is 3.5 years old and dying. I'm thinking of replacing it with a tablet (not an iPad), because I do really like to concept. But I also know that there are definite draw backs.

BTW, why has SDD technology slowed down? I thought it would move much faster. You can get 32 gig on a card smaller then a thumb nail (much smaller actually) and tablets and phones still come with puny memories.

Why not load the iPad with 250 or 500 gig? The technology is there?

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#539 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

It is ridiculous and mean, I agree. But there seems to be a culture in the industry in general where measly amounts of memory space are bundled into any sort of proprietary hardware which isn't a computer or a laptop. Initially, the first waves of games consoles were dished out with paltry amounts of memory built in; only now do you get a decent amount thrown in for the price; and even that is relatively small. Further down the line we should see iPads with greater memory, but even then I would never expect anything as high as 500gb.

#540 Jay

Jay

I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure

• Administrators
  • 37913 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I believe the tsunamai in japan and flooding in taiwan have slowed down memory production somewhat but yea, memory is overall getting bigger in byte size and smaller in physical size and yet apple has kept their iphones and ipads in the same sizes for 3 years now (other than adding a 64gb option to the iphone 4s)

#541 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21473 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't understand why iPod Classics haven't expanded beyond the 160 GB threshold either. I realize that with the number of ways that people can bypass iTunes "security," Apple might not want their iPods to be used as little pirate ships, but that's just silly. Portable 1 TB hard drives are far cheaper these days than iPods and can have zero security.

#542 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I don't understand why iPod Classics haven't expanded beyond the 160 GB threshold either. I realize that with the number of ways that people can bypass iTunes "security," Apple might not want their iPods to be used as little pirate ships, but that's just silly. Portable 1 TB hard drives are far cheaper these days than iPods and can have zero security.

Ya I've not sure why Apple takes their sweet time updating memory sizes for their iPods. All though for me personally 120GB iPod Classic was an overkill. Hence why I decided to get a 64GB iPod Touch instead. I've got 55 scores on my iPod all are their expanded or complete versions (except for Star Trek Generations).

All the scores are in Apple Lossless format and I've only used up 28.4GB. I still have 29.5 GB's free.

Another thing to point out...with how much Apple charges for one of their laptops you could get two name brand laptops IE: Toshiba or Dell for virtually the same price.

GAC2.jpg

#543 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I'll wait till next year. I wonder if I'm the only one?

Hmmm...first the new iPhone was not the machine people were hoping and praying for, not the iPad 3 seems to disappoint.

I wonder if, with the death of Steve Jobs, the company are struggling somehow and these versions are being released as stop gaps.

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#544 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Apple might not want their iPods to be used as little pirate ships, but that's just silly. Portable 1 TB hard drives are far cheaper these days than iPods and can have zero security.

Perhaps that's why they don't put USB ports on these devices...

#545 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Alert Android users: go to the marketplace and check out Opera 'Next'. It's a beta of sorts, but its a relative revelation. Silky smooth pinch-zooming and page-scrolling feels as damn good as iPhone/Pad as one can rightly expect, and easily just as good as the slick (if wildly unpredictable) S2 stock browser.

I'll be patiently awaiting the final build.

#546 Jay

Jay

I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure

• Administrators
  • 37913 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

I wonder if, with the death of Steve Jobs, the company are struggling somehow and these versions are being released as stop gaps.

The iPhone 4S and iPad 3 were mostly developed while he was still there. Even this summer's 6th generation iPhone I suspect will have had a lot of its development during Job's tenure (Rumor has it the 4S was only released because what will now be the 6th gen release wasn't ready in time). Really it will be Apple's 2013 offerings that we might get to see what direction they go without him I think.

#547 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Jason speaks sense, not hyperbole.

#548 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Just because your wife is pregnant doesnt mean you have to start rimming Jason instead for the next 8 months....

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#549 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16047 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

I'm not really interested in getting a tablet device because I'd like something with an actually keyboard. It sounds like the Ultrabook range of laptops might be for me, but are they anything like the Macbook Air where there's no actual hard drive, rather it runs on flash?

#550 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21473 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I must look really stupid, then, sitting at my laptop with a USB wired keyboard and wireless mouse.

#551 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

For some reason Android Market is now called Google Play on my phone...

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#552 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, same here. I read something about it but cant be arsed linking it.

#553 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20709 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Google rebranded all their app/music/video/etc. stuff under one name. Basically not a bad idea, but "Google Play" sounds like asking for image troubles to me. Why not Google Store? Google Market? And the fact that the old Market Android App got replaced by a new one, with a new icon and new name, which you have to re-add to your shortcuts because the old one disappears, is bound to confuse a lot of users. Bad move altogether.

#554 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 30027 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I liked the 'Android Market'.

#555 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, it felt you you were going there to buy your own Mr. Data.

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#556 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I must look really stupid, then, sitting at my laptop with a USB wired keyboard and wireless mouse.

Nah it's not stupid. If someone like you and I are used to a regular keyboard then it would only be logical to buy one for a laptop. I took typing lessons in high school and I can type with out looking at the keyboard 98% of the time. I still have a bit of a hard time typing on a laptop keyboard since it's quite a bit smaller and the position of how the hands sit for typing is a bit more cramped.

Whenever I'm able to get me a new laptop I'll be getting a mouse for it because I really don't like the touch mouse pad that is on the keyboard. It can be a pain in the ass to try and use that all the time.

GAC2.jpg

#557 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20709 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Dell used to be the only brand (that I know of) that would produce laptops with keyboard that would completely live up to their full size counterparts. When I bought my first laptop in ~2001, I fully expected to also buy a USB keyboard to connect to it - but as it turned out, the Dell's internal keyboard was one of the best I've ever used.

They still make rather good keyboards, as far as laptop keyboards go, but they're too compromised these days. Wrong layouts, missing keys. My Dell at work runs with an external Cherry keyboard now.

They also used to have this clit mouse thingy that I found far superiour to touchpads. Nowadays they only have touchpads. I'll never get used to those.

#558 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hehehehe...clit

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#559 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5080 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

More like Hehehehe...touchpad.

#560 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 73536 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

as far as laptop keyboards go, but they're too compromised these days. Wrong layouts, missing keys.

One of the reasons I will probably get an Tablet after my Netbook dies. The small keyboard has never been that user friendly and i simply cannot get used to navigating with a touchpad.

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users