Photo

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Movie Talk

• Please log in to reply
18905 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17872 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Continue.

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#2 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36830 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

I think having two main threads - one for discussing current movies, and one for discussing older ones - is a great idea!

Why do Quint and a couple others keep saying that the Reviews forum is where discussions dies? Many threads in there are up to 2 or 3 pages, and feature more discussion about a movie than this thread itself does!

The reviews forum is a good idea, its just that those opposed are being more vocal about their opposition.

People seem to forget that no one ever suggested that all discussion should be moved to the reviews forum. Only that if you feel like writing a long review of a film, that you post your review it to the Reviews forum. And don't forget we encourage book, television, music, and score reviews in that forum as well!

But yea, the general discussion of films that bounce around from film to film that stem from a quick remark that someone recently watch a film will never be moved out. The moderating staff just wants the nicely written, longer reviews that our members generate to be posted there. Thanks!

#3 Alexander

Alexander

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1874 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

I think having two main threads - one for discussing current movies, and one for discussing older ones - is a great idea!

Why do Quint and a couple others keep saying that the Reviews forum is where discussions dies? Many threads in there are up to 2 or 3 pages, and feature more discussion about a movie than this thread itself does!

The reviews forum is a good idea, its just that those opposed are being more vocal about their opposition.

People seem to forget that no one ever suggested that all discussion should be moved to the reviews forum. Only that if you feel like writing a long review of a film, that you post your review it to the Reviews forum. And don't forget we encourage book, television, music, and score reviews in that forum as well!

But yea, the general discussion of films that bounce around from film to film that stem from a quick remark that someone recently watch a film will never be moved out. The moderating staff just wants the nicely written, longer reviews that our members generate to be posted there. Thanks!

I think it's a great idea too!

#4 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9733 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I like the idea too. I also like the reviews forum. :P

#5 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

I love to hear your motives for saying that. I already said why I think it's a bad idea.
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#6 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I agree with Alex. Why does everything need to be so ordered?

sinterklaas-in-haren_zpsed8aec4b.jpg

#7 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

It's Morlock's thread anyway. I think we should honor it in his memory. ;)
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#8 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

No, you are not allowed to talk about Morlock in this Thread Alex.

You will have to go here: http://www.jwfan.com...=1

#9 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • 36830 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

I never said that you wouldn't be allowed to talk about modern movies in the classic movies thread, or that you wouldn't be allowed to talk about classic movies in the modern movies thread.

One of the defining characteristics of this message board - an aspect that I truly love - is how any thread can evolve into a discussion of something else entirely, per the flow of discussion.. I would never want that to change, and would never move posts from one movie thread to the other just because the year of the movie being discussed.

#10 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

No, you are not allowed to talk about Morlock in this Thread Alex.

You will have to go here: http://www.jwfan.com...=1

Good one! You should've used the rimshot smiley.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

I never said that you wouldn't be allowed to talk about modern movies in the classic movies thread, or that you wouldn't be allowed to talk about classic movies in the modern movies thread.

One of the defining characteristics of this message board - an aspect that I truly love - is how any thread can evolve into a discussion of something else entirely, per the flow of discussion.. I would never want that to change, and would never move posts from one movie thread to the other just because the year of the movie being discussed.

I agree. It wouldn't hurt anything to open another thread for current releases - no one would be forced to use it or be forced out if they went off topic.

#12 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16474 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Super 8

It's a pleasant film and I surely prefer this to most summer movies these days. But, to be perfectly honest, it's only a Frankenstein of a movie where everything (and I mean everything) is stitched from different parts of other movies. That's disappointing. The score is good though. Heard only one cue that's not on the album (when they're riding bicycles).

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#13 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29768 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Is it out here now?

#14 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16474 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

As of today, yeah.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#15 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Sweet. i'll go tomorrow.

#16 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16474 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Oh BTW the film has probably the most ridiculous train crash scene ever that goes on for like 5 minutes and apparently there were no people on it for some reason. Weird. But I laughed at the obvious Lost reference in that scene. It was funny at that point. Only later when I saw 255th reference to different things I started to pull my hair out.

About Giacchino again: I like how the film is not too heavily scored (at least the first part). It makes more impact that way. That's job well done.

Karol - who thought the best thing about Super 8 was the end credits.
Films On Wax

#17 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32803 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

The train crash was a bit over-the-top, but it's J.J. Abrams. It's not like he's some subtle art director. Also, it was a government train with alien cargo, of course there were no people on it.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#18 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

Heard only one cue that's not on the album (when they're riding bicycles).

Isn't that "We'll Fix It in Poste-Haste"?
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#19 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

I believe that's the alternate take/version heard on the website. The film version is a bit different.

#20 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:26 AM

Oh okay.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#21 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2811 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:10 AM

Rise of the Apes

I'm shocked -- I went in expecting a rehashed origin story, but I really enjoyed it. The film actually takes its time developing its characters before moving straight ahead with the action. The superb CGI work by WETA Digital, plus Andy Serkis' performance as Caesar truly elevate this movie. You end up rooting for the apes, who are the most developed characters in the movie, and the ending doesn't really leave room for an immediate sequel. And the action sequences (particularly the climax at the Golden Gate Bridge) are unpredictable and exciting.

Doyle's score isn't anything to sniff at either. I think it's better than his Thor score. A very pleasant surprise, both movie- and score-wise.

#22 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32803 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

Oh ho, what happened to it being the next Happening everyone? ;)
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#23 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

Did the cgi get a complete overhaul or somethin'?

#24 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5921 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Doyle's score isn't anything to sniff at either. I think it's better than his Thor score. A very pleasant surprise, both movie- and score-wise.

I just listen to it on youtube and it's a generic nightmare of modern blockbuster stylings. Steve Jablonsky delivers more convincing soundscapes.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#25 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

I just listen to it on youtube and it's a generic nightmare of modern blockbuster stylings. Steve Jablonsky delivers more convincing soundscapes.

After Stepmom Doyle was like, "Ain't no valley low enough (to which I have to descend musically) to keep me from making sure I'm never rejected again."

#26 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Didn't Doyle quit because he was having cancer?

#27 Alexander

Alexander

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1874 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I saw E.T. yesterday. What a wonderful film. Truly magical. There were a few things in the film that dissapointed me though. Why did the NASA guys dress up as astronauts just to get ET? That was strange. And there wasn't even a credit for John Williams in the end credits! There was one for Herbert Spencer though. How strange. I also think the broadcasting company cut a few scenes out. Sometimes the music stopped really abruptly.

#28 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

The Way Back: Not much better than a dramatized documentary on Nat Geo. It's not bad but the story and execution are too tame to fascinate or to be affective. With other words, I didn't feel the journey which is essential for these type of films.

Posted Image

Alex

#29 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

Ebert agrees with you.

#30 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hmm, I fancied that as well. That's potentially disappointing I guess.

Whilst on the subject of lost in the wilderness movies, does anyone recommend any I may have missed? Stuff like The Edge and Rescue Dawn. A fascinating genre, for me.

#31 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

Uhhh..Ray Mears guide to survival?

#32 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

There's no danger with Ray.

#33 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

No, but he can build a shelter using only dried grass, animal poo and rope made from the back ends of ants, strung together...

#34 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Whilst on the subject of lost in the wilderness movies, does anyone recommend any I may have missed? Stuff like The Edge and Rescue Dawn. A fascinating genre, for me.

Aguirre, The Wrath Of God.

Posted Image

#35 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

I don't want to see him eat that.

EDIT: After a quick Google I see it's a Herzog film. A Heart of Darkness adventure. I'll seek it out.

#36 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71513 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

To survive, you must sometimes do things that go against your instincts.

#37 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

More variations on lost in the wilderness:

Posted Image

Alex

#38 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29768 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Yeah seen that. Good movie, really horrible ending on that one.

The Defiant Ones is another superb one.

#39 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2811 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

There's a bit of MV style in the Rise of the Apes score. Bruce Fowler did some orchestrations (plus Zimmer's engineers mixed the score), but it's still better than Jablonsky's work. And the final cue is undeniably Doyle.

#40 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Oh ho, what happened to it being the next Happening everyone? ;)

I doubt I will find the movie as entertaining as The Happening. Why you eyein' my lemon drink?

After Stepmom Doyle was like, "Ain't no valley low enough (to which I have to descend musically) to keep me from making sure I'm never rejected again."

:lol:

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users