Photo

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#241 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64312 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

The problem is that the traditional nerd really is now a really dated concept.

#242 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Why?

#243 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 64312 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

haven't we all moved on from the concept that someone interested in computers, comic books and specific genre's of films is a loser?

#244 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm all that and I constantly border on being a loser, do I count? :lol: :lick:

#245 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I imagine a lot of people see us as losers. The wankers.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#246 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 64312 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Jocks are the new nerds.

#247 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26615 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Judging by the trailer, I also think Maguire captured the nerdy persona of Peter Parker a lot better than this guy.

Maquire played Peter Parker as a traditional "Revenge Of The Nerds" type nerd.

Gardfield has more of a "nerd-chique" thing going on. The modern nerd is highly affluent, actually has lots of friends and can even be attractive.

*cringe*

No offense Stefan, but you're venturing out of your comfort zone here. And not for the first time this week. Sort your act out man! What's going on?

Judging by the trailer, I also think Maguire captured the nerdy persona of Peter Parker a lot better than this guy.

Maquire played Peter Parker as a traditional "Revenge Of The Nerds" type nerd.

Gardfield has more of a "nerd-chique" thing going on. The modern nerd is highly affluent, actually has lots of friends and can even be attractive.

Which is the complete opposite of who Peter Parker is. Raimi's movies faltered in many ways but they nailed Peter's character. It's like remaking Star Trek and having Spock be a complete dick who makes really illogical dec... oh wait.

Probably the best post I've read today.

#248 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I've never thought the Raimi movies were that close to Peter Parker.

They felt short on Peter as a scientist, and on Peter as the funny dude he's supposed to be.

#249 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31090 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

I don't really care much about the comics, even though apparently this film is insanely more faithful than Raimi's films, I just like good movies.

Webb > Raimi
Garfield > Maguire
Stone > Dunst
Sheen and Field > whoever those guys were

And for the tone they're going for, Horner > Elfman
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#250 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I don't have hope for this Horner.

#251 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

I don't really care much about the comics, even though apparently this film is insanely more faithful than Raimi's films, I just like good movies.

Webb > Raimi
Garfield > Maguire
Stone > Dunst

Faithful is a point of view. It looks like it's faithful to Ultimate Spider-Man.... which kind of sucks.

Cliff Robertson was a great Uncle Ben.

Marc Webb... well, I've only seen one movie of his and let's just say it doesn't bode well (then again, this movie doesn't feature The Human Eyelash). And uneven as he can be, Raimi has made some brilliant films.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#252 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19817 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Regardless of what anyone says, I enjoyed Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies. The only experience that I had with the character came through the early 90s cartoon series where Peter/Spidey talked to himself all the time, which the movies didn't do too badly a job of showing. And I loved Elfman's pseudo-religious take on the character's theme.

#253 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

Webb > Raimi
Garfield > Maguire
Stone > Dunst

Faithful is a point of view. It looks like it's faithful to Ultimate Spider-Man.... which kind of sucks.

Cliff Robertson was a great Uncle Ben.

Marc Webb... well, I've only seen one movie of his and let's just say it doesn't bode well (then again, this movie doesn't feature The Human Eyelash). And uneven as he can be, Raimi has made some brilliant films.

Well (500) Days Of Summer is Webb's first feature, and I know for a horror fan like you there's no question that Raimi is better. I also know you despise Zooey but I love her to death :lol:

I saw (500) Days Of Summer when it was still in its independent run, before it became really popular and hipster. It was one of my favorites from 2009.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#254 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

I still love raimi's movies, all three to be exact; but I hope this reboot is better.

Not because of anything against them, I just always want better quality, not one that dips. Just like the new batman movies after nolan, I want them to be better. So, fingers crossed.

#255 Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10655 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Much better trailer than the last one. I'm liking the look and feel of it; it's almost reminiscent of Nolan's Batman Begins.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#256 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

There are really people who find Spider-Man 3 genuinely good, aren't there?

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#257 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Maybe this will remind them of its absolute awfulness:

#258 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

That sequence was actually really entertaining because of its sheer stupidity.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#259 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Still love it.

#260 lonzoe

lonzoe

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Webb > Raimi
Garfield > Maguire
Stone > Dunst

Stone looked like the typical love interest in that trailer. She felt no different than Blake Lively in Green Lantern and Eva Mendes in Ghost Rider at least in the trailer. She was saying lines in the trailer that is typical of love interests in a comic book movie. Didn't feel fresh or unique to me. I was never thrilled about her casting to begin with. Hope I'm wrong about her in the movie. Sheen and Fields are great actors. I'm sure they'll be great in this even with little screen time from Sheen. But I think Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris did a great job with what they were given in the other franchise as well. As for Horner I'm not holding my breath. I think Elfman is capable of scoring a Spiderman movie of this scale. I'm not complaining he's not back. But I certainly believe he's just as or more capable of scoring this than Horner . Though I'll give Horner the benefit of the doubt.

I like this trailer a lot more maybe b/c the origin stuff took a backseat. But this movie could easily pass as Spiderman 4 without the origin stuff.

#261 mrbellamy

mrbellamy

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:11 AM

I like this trailer a lot more maybe b/c the origin stuff took a backseat. But this movie could easily pass as Spiderman 4 without the origin stuff.

That's exactly what I thought as well. If I took out the high school scenes, replaced Andrew Garfield with Tobey Maguire, and slapped "Spider-Man 4" at the end, nobody would have known the difference. Which just makes this whole "reboot" thing seem even more silly. It doesn't look like they're doing anything particularly new or interesting with the material. It looks like any other action movie, and certainly no darker or grittier than anything in Raimi's movies.

#262 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

There are really people who find Spider-Man 3 genuinely good, aren't there?

There are some really good scenes mixed in with some really lame and stupid ones -- so I would rank it mediocre. You can clearly tell Sony had its fingers all over the production -- especially producer Avi Arad. I wouldn't be sore over the reboot if Raimi was allowed to make SM-3 and/or what could've been SM-4 his way. Then let the old cast and crew bow out gracefully... but Hollywood doesn't go by the rules.

But Amazing Spider-Man looks to be okay, not great. There are some things the Raimi movies did better -- especially Spider-Man shooting his webs and soaring among the skyscrapers. Webb's take on it is... not as exciting. The action sequences, what we see now... aren't exciting me. They look like rejected action sequences taken from the Nolan Batman movies and mixed in with Raimi's set-pieces from previous movies.

#263 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

But Amazing Spider-Man looks to be okay, not great. There are some things the Raimi movies did better -- especially Spider-Man shooting his webs and soaring among the skyscrapers. Webb's take on it is... not as exciting. The action sequences, what we see now... aren't exciting me. They look like rejected action sequences taken from the Nolan Batman movies and mixed in with Raimi's set-pieces from previous movies.

There's one shot of him swinging through the city. You're talking like you've already seen the film.

#264 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17386 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Looks like it could be a fun but highly forgettable film.
Recently Purchased CDs:
1. Midway (Original Recording) - John Williams 2. Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4-6 - Herbert Von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmonic 3. Williams: Violin and Flute Concerto - Leonard Slatkin and the London Symphony Orchestra 4. On the Town/Anchors Aweigh - Various

#265 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

There's one shot of him swinging through the city. You're talking like you've already seen the film.

I did say "... from what I've seen so far." I'm not judging the whole movie just from that trailer, it's just some of it is reinforcing that deja vu from the first teaser. It could be the best Spider-Man film ever made, I'm not sure.

It could be a entertaining film, but the marketing isn't convincing me either.

#266 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Well it is Marvel comic book fare. It has an inherent tendency to not be good ;)

#267 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14297 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Stills from the trailer, with a (slightly) better look at the Lizard.

Spoiler

Jaqen2_zpsde0dd5b7.gif

"Big Jaqen is watching you."

#268 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

I don't get what's so great about the lizard, he's lame.

Give me Kingpin, Misterio or Carnage.

#269 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

This film also looks pretty bad. The only seemingly redeeming feature that I'll looking forward to is Horner's score

nb6gs9.jpg

#270 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

I don't get what's so great about the lizard, he's lame.

Give me Kingpin, Misterio or Carnage.

One : Kingpin's with fox. I bet you'll see him in the DareDevil reboot.

Two : Carnage; and every other symbiote...sucks ass. I never want another symbiote on screen ever.

#271 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Feels more accurate to the comics. Seems like they want to make Spidey more of the cocky badass he was outside of the original movies. I agree with that.

Denis Leary is great casting.

#272 Trent Bennett

Trent Bennett

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12990 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

I don't think Osborn should become Green Goblin until the 2nd, maybe the 3rd film. We'll see what happens with this.
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name......Enterprise." - Captain Picard

#273 Jay

Jay

Supreme Something Something

• Administrators
  • 32073 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

I don't think Osborn should become Green Goblin until the 2nd, maybe the 3rd film. We'll see what happens with this.

Osbourne isnt even in the film at all....

#274 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

We do, however have "Proto-goblin".

LOL

#275 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

I don't like how fast Spiderman got rebooted. I wonder if more sagas will get a very quick reboot. What is next....Transformers rebooted! The Matrix Rebooted! James Bond Rebooted again! Iron Man Reboot! Alien Reboot! :pukeface:

#276 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

If your movie makes as much as Raimi's films did, then of course they're not going to wait. More so since 3 got trashed by anyone with taste.

Bond doesn't count, it's an everlasting franchise that technically gets rebooted with every actor change.

Alien is being rebooted as we speak, and the Wachowski brothers have said they'd like to do another Matrix trilogy and pioneer 3D technology like they did with CGI.

Remakes have been a part of Hollywood since the beginning. I don't understand why people care, it's not like they're forcing you to spend $11 and go see it. That's all you, and you're gonna keep feeding the thing you hate.

#277 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hmmm good point about Bond and wow I didn't know that about the Matrix! I get the money making aspect of remakes and alll that, and I understand wanting to make something "fresh" again for today's movie audiences...I guess I have a soft spot for a saga/ series of films that I can sit down and watch without the story restarting itself at some point.

I shall stop complaining now lol

#278 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19817 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

Don't forget that classic widescreen epics like Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments, made in the 50s, were remakes of silent films made in the 20s. As technology progresses, Hollywood wants to retell bankable stories in the newer formats. It's simple economics.

Denis Leary is great casting.

Denis Leary is an asshole. He even admits it. :lol:

In the trailer, when Gwen Stacy tells Peter that her fire escape is 20 stories up, what does Peter say in response? I cannot understand his dialogue. Something about not being intimdated?

#279 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

"Your doorman's intimidating", I think.
Posted Image

#280 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

In the trailer, when Gwen Stacy tells Peter that her fire escape is 20 stories up, what does Peter say in response? I cannot understand his dialogue. Something about not being intimdated?

"Your doorman is intimidating."

Whoops, somehow didn't see Mr. Movies post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users