The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

Trent B

At least he has artificial web shooters this time

I always thought it made much more sense for the web shooters to be organic. I mean, he's a spider mutant, why wouldn't he also inherit the ability to organically produce webs? The artificial web shooters always were one of the most stupidest things in the comics, IMHO

I always thought it made much more sense for the web shooters to be organic. I mean, he's a spider mutant, why wouldn't he also inherit the ability to organically produce webs? The artificial web shooters always were one of the most stupidest things in the comics, IMHO

I guess, unless you actually build a storyline about their existence. I don't read Spider-Man so I don't know.

I don't mind both ideas about the artificial and organic web shooters but I'm with Merkel that the organic ones always made a lot more sense than the artificial ones. Parker was really no genius so I couldn't see a high school kid like him building artificial web shooters.

Great title, great suit, great director, great actor... composer?

I have to disagree on those two. The suit just looks... off. And the title, while a mainstay in the comic books, just sounds silly.

I liked the organic webshooters in the context that Raimi was creating a metaphor for sexual awakening.

:blink:

Seriously? The first Spider-Man film is littered with parallels to puberty. Peter Parker notices the lovely Mary-Jane and is taking her photo... when a GM Spider bites him. He wakes the next morning to find new muscle growth, hair in places that didn't have hair before, and secretes a sticky white substance which he has trouble controlling. It's hardly subtle.

Having artificial web shooters as a plot device means he can legitimately run out of webbing instead of just losing his mojo like in the Raimi film.

Having artificial web shooters as a plot device means he can legitimately run out of webbing instead of just losing his mojo like in the Raimi film.

All of a sudden I'm mildly interested in this film.

The spinnerets -- silk-producing organs -- of most* spiders are located on the underside of a spider's abdomen, to the rear.

That is counterproductive to the method of fast-moving forward locomotion that Spider-Man uses in the comic books.

Personally, I'm glad that Peter Parker didn't inherit the compound eyes, eight legs, need to liquefy insects to eat them, and desire to mate with and be eaten by a large female that other spiders get. Gotta draw the line at "spider mutant" somewhere. Save that craziness for Seth Brundle.

I don't know about you, but if Peter Parker produces a pile of silk in his underpants, I don't want to know about it.

Maybe he does, and he had to build the web spinners as compensation. Raimi's Peter Parker is never really developed as a science whiz.

* One spider, the zebra tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni), has silk-producing organs on its feet.

I'd like to see some detective work in a Batman movie. The first four discarded the idea wrom a get-go. It's better in the new films, but still this is not it.

Karol

I'd like to see some detective work in a Batman movie. The first four discarded the idea wrom a get-go. It's better in the new films, but what still this is not it.

Karol

Which is another reason why the animated series kills all.

This might be true, actually. I re-watched some episodes and this is still excellent. Of course, I mean the early episodes, with no Robin, Nightwing and newer storylines. The Man-Bat stuff, Clayface and such.

Karol

The "masked detective" angle usually fits the character way better than the superhero angle.

It's the same with other characters. Take the Green Lanterns. They're way better in a Star Wars-like saga with a lot of weird stuff that being on Earth catching criminals by Earth's laws (boooring).

This might be true, actually. I re-watched some episodes and this is still excellent. Of course, I mean the early episodes, with no Robin, Nightwing and newer storylines. The Man-Bat stuff, Clayface and such.

Karol

See, a lot of people have something against Robin, but he was pretty well done in the series. Check out 'Robin's Reckoning', or 'Growing Pains'.

One of the best episodes also came at the end of the run, 'Mad Love', which looks at Harley Quinn's origin and is spectacularly good.

Yes, but this is not what I mean. Some of these are really good. But I generally like the more classic solo Batman adventures. They have this classic feel that makes them even better than most comic books. I remember being instantly hookes as a child. Which is surprising, for some of the stuff is pretty intense.

Karol

• 4 months later...

Looks pretty good to me. I like the cast and the director, and I dig the different-looking suit. My biggest concern for the project as a whole is that they'll cater it to the Twilight, tween/teenage crowd, which would likely turn out badly.

Indeed. Why, I remember in early 1999, when the idea that a film with the words "star" and "wars" in the title would inspire quality, creativity, and enjoyability.

It looks like the Toby Maguire Spider-Man suit took a major shit and the result is the reboot suit. The new suit looks god awful ugly.

At least the Batman (Bale) and Superman Returns (Routhe) suits looked likable, this is just down right ugly. You also can't tell me that a high school student like Peter Parker built mechanical web shooters, no matter how smart he is.

You also can't tell me that a high school student like Peter Parker built mechanical web shooters, no matter how smart he is.

Sure you can! That is an aspect of the comics , which dates from the 1960s so it's grandfathered into the story. It's Raimi who took liberties by making the web shooters organic just for the puberty joke, but which removed the plot device of running out of web cartridges.

I went to college with one guy who built tesla coils and another who built robots in high school. Web-shooters? Piss on 'em.

The new suit looks like he sewed it from basketball material.

It looks like the Toby Maguire Spider-Man suit took a major shit and the result is the reboot suit. The new suit looks god awful ugly.

At least the Batman (Bale) and Superman Returns (Routhe) suits looked likable, this is just down right ugly. You also can't tell me that a high school student like Peter Parker built mechanical web shooters, no matter how smart he is.

Agreed. I am sad about what could have been Spider-Man 4 with Malkovich and Hathaway.

My favorite quote from a critic so far about the reboot was something like "I don't like the idea of a mutant spider bite causing a boy to be able to make mechanical web shooters".

Can't say I disagree.

Never got into Spidey comics.

But I will say I know plenty of people who do, and they are downright orgasmic over the web-shooters.

I do know I am most likely in the minority.

I think all the Maguire spiderman films were not very good. 3 was horrible, 2 was probably the least worst of the three, and one was boring.

the advantage of the reboot is the effects might be somewhat more convincing, but I don't care for the character so I really don't get invested in the movies. Sam Raimi should have stuck to cheap horror.

I kind of hated Raimi's films, but then I realized his camp approach was exactly the point. He wasn't making a "take me seriosuly" superhero film. They are supposed to feel a bit tacky. Just like Independence Day.

Karol