3:08 in The Pursuit of the Falcon

Marian Schedenig

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehhhhhhh, none of those moments really stuck out to me, and, while Pursuit of the Falcon is not my favorite track of the score, I find 0:29 to be a much more impressive moment than anything listed.

4.17 in Persuit of the Falcon

Best moment in the score

I really don't see why you let the catchy and exciting, yet musically unimpressive Tintin's theme eclipse everything else from the score. It's my favorite too, but just because I love Tintin. That's an extra-musical reason.

4.17 in Persuit of the Falcon

Best moment in the score

I really don't see why you let the catchy and exciting, yet musically unimpressive Tintin's theme eclipse everything else from the score. It's my favorite too, but just because I love Tintin. That's an extra-musical reason.

I'm not sure why you downplay "exciting catchy theme" as inferior music. It's a great theme

I have nothing against "exciting, catchy" music per se. "The Raiders March" is catchy and exciting.

But I don't know that TIntin's theme is great, inside or out of Williams' standards. Don't get me wrong, I smile every time it comes up (again, for extra-musical reasons), but it isn't the highlight of this score, not by a long shot. In fact, it feels a sort of generic adventure theme. It's adequate, but I see a number of composers coming up with similar melodies.

I disagree. I think it's a pure Williams theme

Exactly. I find some of the statements about Tintin's theme being 'subpar' or 'inadequate' to be ridiculous. It really is a great classic Williams theme.

- KK

It's the type of theme when another composer tries to do it doesn't sound remotely as cool and why there's only one JW and nobody can do exactly what he can

I think it's great at what it was meant to do, but I don't think Williams had very ambitious goals for this particular theme. I agree with Elmo that the meat of the score is found in other material. Though I don't think having a theme that is "just" good hurts the rest of the score in this instance - I just think it means Williams' focus was elsewhere, and the theme isn't supposed to be the centerpiece of the score.

I just dont know why Jungle chase is described by most as a unfocused piece of music.

Yet i find it more structured and cohesive than this tintin cue.

I enjoy both, prefer jungle, and i cant see why the dislike for the former and the love of the second.

I think it's great at what it was meant to do, but I don't think Williams had very ambitious goals for this particular theme. I agree with Elmo that the meat of the score is found in other material. Though I don't think having a theme that is "just" good hurts the rest of the score in this instance - I just think it means Williams' focus was elsewhere, and the theme isn't supposed to be the centerpiece of the score.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Well if the centerpiece of this score had been Tintin theme and Williams developped it more instead of the Zimmeresque Red Rackham theme it would have been a better score overall

i dont hear media ventures.

at what time it is? i keep listening to the 'ship' pieces and only hear modern williams and piratey music.

Well the album version of Jungle Chase is hacked to pieces

wait, why are we talking about Jungle chase?

because we are at jwfan.net... the place of changing topics :lol:

While we're at pointing out cool moments in the score: I always really enjoy the few "synchronized" sword hits of Sir Francis at 3:35 in track 7 :) (seems like a Golden Age-y swashbuckling thing that isn't done much anymore, except in animated movies for slapstick reasons)

Well, there's only so much that can be said about a few specific seconds in a specific cue.

Yes I agree that Jungle Chase from KotCS (complete unedited version) is more cohesive than anything in Tintin

It seems to my ears that Williams in Tintin scored a lot of individual moments instead of coming up with his trademark cohesive cues. It probably has a lot to do with the way the film was made -- it was probably a disjointed marass of scenes when Williams first saw it -- and it's only by coincidence that it feels as if he's scoring panels in a comic book page individually.

It's the first thoroughly-mickey-moused soundtrack Williams ever wrote.

I love the variations Snowy's Theme gets around the 2 minute mark. And the brass fanfares that follow are old school Williams.

But still on The Pursuit of the Falcon, that flute phrase at the 0:22 mark is just stunning

The flute gets a nice workout throughout this cue. It's not my favorite instrument, but it's refreshing to here it in a modern score. I can't think of anybody other than Williams and Desplat that regularly features flutes.

tintin

theme

underdeveloped

I think Tintin's theme is pretty well developed in the score.

Well if the centerpiece of this score had been Tintin theme and Williams developped it more instead of the Zimmeresque Red Rackham theme it would have been a better score overall

Zimmeresque? :o

I see what you mean. I still stand by the fact that the theme is great but the great highlights of the score lie elsewhere.

- KK

There's a strange part of "Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure", at 4:12 that is really interesting because it comes out of nowhere. I haven't seen the film, so I have no clue what this syncs up to, but I love that little bizarre moment on the OST.

P.S. Don't say what it is!

The flute gets a nice workout throughout this cue. It's not my favorite instrument, but it's refreshing to here it in a modern score. I can't think of anybody other than Williams and Desplat that regularly features flutes.

Dude, it was all over The Social Network. :|

Home Alone 2 is pretty mickey mousing

And it has a LOT in common with Tintin.

Why does this need a seperate thread? :sigh:

Because, unlike most of the replies, my original post wasn't about themes at all. Just about one barely noticeable woodwind glissando that makes me LOL every time I hear it.

This entire piece is just so awesome, from start to finish!!! :)

But one of my favorite moments has to be the flute solos at the beginning. At 0:12-0:19 JW masterfully combines light strings with the flute playing rapidly to conjure the image of a bird struggling to gain altitude... you can almost feel the orchstra struggling too! This sends pleasurable chills down my back every time!! This is not just what he did in PoA, you see. This is JW building on that same idea but enhancing it with light strings... All I can say is WOW!!! Well done, Johnny. And the continuation at 0:23-0:29 too, of course.

But yeah, this track also contains my favorite rendition of Tintin's Theme!

It's a phenomenal piece of music. [...] So. Fricking. Cool.

Agreed!!

A personal favorite moment right now is in "The Adventures of Tintin" when the Tintin theme is featured on harpsichord.

Which one? It's played on harpsichord a couple of times, isn't it?

___

Btw, does the section 1:17-1:38 remind you guys of a certainy creepy-crawly track on the KotCS album?

I just dont know why Jungle chase is described by most as a unfocused piece of music.

Yet i find it more structured and cohesive than this tintin cue.

That's funny, I think it's exactly the opposite. The Pursuit of the Falcon sounds much more coherent to my ears than that mess of a Jungle Chase (OST version, that is): tension building music, then Adventures of Mutt (annihilating all tension...), then return of tense/action music, then funny monkey stuff... At least there is no such breakdown of mood in Tintin...

Another reason why I prefer Pursuit over Chase is because John Williams has replaced xylophones and chirping woodwinds with a flute... quite a good deal, I think :)

My personal favorite would be at 2:24, the statement of Tintin's B theme accompanied by virtuoso strings...

While we're at pointing out cool moments in the score: I always really enjoy the few "synchronized" sword hits of Sir Francis at 3:35 in track 7 :) (seems like a Golden Age-y swashbuckling thing that isn't done much anymore, except in animated movies for slapstick reasons)

Totally agree. The grandest moment in the score IMO.

The woods.

Best moment in the score.

Haha. I just saw this thread title and I thought: It must be this awesome flute solo in the middle of the cue.

The other of my favourite bits is the oboe solo in the penultimate sound. Warm and mysterious.

Karol

Tintin's theme is treated as if it was a tenth film in the series (not surprising, there are hints of other stories that too place before this one) The main themes of the score are Unicorn theme and Haddock's theme. Because that's what the story is really about. Tintin's theme is a glue that often drives and offers some heroism, but the heart of it all is elsewhere. Which all makes sense when you watch the film. I made to me anyway.

Karol

He's no mere mortal, remember.

Seriously though, Tintin has for me reaffirmed his status as a giant among men and I worship at his alter. How he still finds within his soul such creativity and imagination is profoundly inspiring.

I already said that elsewhere but my first reaction was: "Where does he get so much energy from? He's 80!".

Karol

My first reaction was of gratitude that John Williams still graces this world with his music. I was grinning happily through every track because of the energy, orchestral mastery and power of the music that sounds so effortless and inspiring.

He's no mere mortal, remember.

Seriously though, Tintin has for me reaffirmed his status a giant among men and I worship at his alter. How he still finds within his soul creativity and imagination is profoundly inspiring.

Indeed. He is truly an inspiration and a musical marvel.