#121 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32355 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

You dare question the power of the Giacchino?! :worship:
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#122 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26282 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

Why does everyone make it seem like Giacchino is the "last man" left to keep up the film music world? He's a great composer, but people have got to stop making his placement so dramatic. There are still many talented film composers out there who sustain quality and intelligence in film music. And Giacchino is not the "next John Williams", its ridiculous to think anyone is going to be the next JW.

As great a composer as he is, people have got to stop making him seem like our future saviour of the upcoming "apocalypse" or something...

I think Giacchino is the next Horner. He's not even close to Williams but someone you always look forward to new scores

#123 OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

Giacchino is not the next anything. He's the first Michael Giacchino.

He has his own musical voice, as Lost illustrates.

He also happens to be somehwat old fashoined in his musical sensibilities.

I don't see the point of defining him in the mould of another.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

#124 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 26282 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

I'm not comparing him directly. I'm saying his talent is about Horner level

#125 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8292 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

I would say Horner is greater on those terms. Giacchino is a great composer, but sometimes I get the sense that he may be blown up too much with titles such as "the next Williams". I admire Giacchino's work (despite some the repeating mannerisms) and always look forward to his work (although I feel he's had a weak year, with the exception of Super 8). I still feel Horner is a better composer.

But as OneBuckFilms said, Giacchino has his own individual voice that shouldn't be compared to Williams or Horner. But I don't think he's et achieved their status.

- KK

#126 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Well, yes. The interesting thing is seeing someone who actually cares about this, has this old fashioned tastes and is willing to learn. That's why everyone keeps expecting anything new that Giacchino might do.

#127 Donna Lackluster

Donna Lackluster

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

@K.K.

Giachino is a good one. One of the good ones, working at this moment, in the field, who's younger than 45.
There are other talented guys also, namely Brian Tyler, Andrew Lockington, Beltrami and many more. But they NEVER got a real hit. Crowd pleaser. Hit tv show.
They are working guys, who mostly score one flop after the other, or forgettable dramas, or middling horror thrillers and superhero films that never reach a larger audience. They are still young and write fantastic music, but as long as they can't be associated with a hit product by the mass audience, they stay invisible.

Giacchino was involved with a string of hit material (Lost, Star trek, Up), he's working with a hit studio (Pixar), for a hit producer (Abrams). Hit+Soundtrack=Oscar. Because of that connection, he just got overhyped, and seems to be one of the few young composers who have come to save film music (which is not his fault).

His best stuff is still the Pixar stuff. He handles cartoon music very, very well. Even some of his "Lost" music is very ironic.

But I doubt he will be the next John Williams, who's a virtuoso by definition. The definition of a virtuoso is somebody who can play EVERYTHING. Williams can do everything.
"Eat me, drink me."

#128 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29270 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Why does everyone make it seem like Giacchino is the "last man" left to keep up the film music world? He's a great composer, but people have got to stop making his placement so dramatic. There are still many talented film composers out there who sustain quality and intelligence in film music. And Giacchino is not the "next John Williams", its ridiculous to think anyone is going to be the next JW.

As great a composer as he is, people have got to stop making him seem like our future saviour of the upcoming "apocalypse" or something...

I don't even think he's all that great. I like his music, in the same way I like how an afternoon snack fills a hole.

Lol, no. If that were true the world of symphonic film music would be ten times more exciting than it currently is.

#129 OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

FYI, I rate him as one of my favorite composers working today. For me personally, I find him up with Horner and Elfman in many ways.

He's actually very versatile, with projects as disparate as Monte Carlo and The Family Stone to Lost.

He has had a fair number of projects, but it simply requires time and projects for him to establish himself in the ranks of Elfman and Horner.

But the musical voice is firmly established. One can listen to his music, and often pinpoint it as coming from him.

A lot of his music sounds like Lost, and that simply comes from his time working on that series, and the fact that his "Lost" style is the style he developed.

Just the same as many early 80s Horner scores sound like Star Trek II.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

#130 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8292 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

I don't even think he's all that great. I like his music, in the same way I like how an afternoon snack fills a hole.

I'd agree to a certain extent. I think he's quite talented, but I don't think he's composed anything AMAZING with one exception. I believe that his Medal of Honor score is bloody brilliant! I believe that the first 3 scores for the franchise really brought out his five star material. Other than that, he hasn't really composed anything ground-breaking for film. He composes good music that produce great 4 star scores at best, but I'm seriously starting to think he's becoming overrated recently.

But without a doubt, his Medal of Honor scores are absolutely brilliant (well at least his first 3). I look forward to his new scores, but I just don't think he's going to be the best composer of the younger generation.

Lol, no. If that were true the world of symphonic film music would be ten times more exciting than it currently is.

Agreed, as long as its not post-early 2000s Horner.

@K.K.

Giachino is a good one. One of the good ones, working at this moment, in the field, who's younger than 45.
There are other talented guys also, namely Brian Tyler, Andrew Lockington, Beltrami and many more. But they NEVER got a real hit. Crowd pleaser. Hit tv show.
They are working guys, who mostly score one flop after the other, or forgettable dramas, or middling horror thrillers and superhero films that never reach a larger audience. They are still young and write fantastic music, but as long as they can't be associated with a hit product by the mass audience, they stay invisible.

Giacchino was involved with a string of hit material (Lost, Star trek, Up), he's working with a hit studio (Pixar), for a hit producer (Abrams). Hit+Soundtrack=Oscar. Because of that connection, he just got overhyped, and seems to be one of the few young composers who have come to save film music (which is not his fault).

His best stuff is still the Pixar stuff. He handles cartoon music very, very well. Even some of his "Lost" music is very ironic.

But I doubt he will be the next John Williams, who's a virtuoso by definition. The definition of a virtuoso is somebody who can play EVERYTHING. Williams can do everything.

You bring up a good point, but I think there are still composers in the younger generation (I assume this means people who have only had their breaks into the film music world in the post-2000s) who are more talented than Giacchino. There are also several young foreign composers who are filled with great talent like Oscar Araujo, Arnau Bataller, Abel Korzeniowski, Pinar Toprak, etc. True, none of them have had Giacchino's success, but they started more recently than Giacchino. Also don't forget, we still have a giant load of amazing composers to wear off before we have to worry about the younger generation. Danny Elfman, Christopher Young, John Debney, Patrick Doyle, Dario Marianelli (a composer whose quite new and this man is just brilliant), Craig Armostrong, Alan Silvestri, etc.

So I really think hailing Giacchino as "our last hope" is really too much. There is a load of people who are arguably more talented than Giacchino in the younger generation.

#131 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

I like him a lot. I think his animated scores are the best so far, and RATATOUILLE is one of the best scores of the millennium. I think he needs more consistency in his live action work. Is he Horner level? It depends. Early 80s KHAN era? No. Contemporary Horner? Sure. But it's Johnny and Danny he needs to look up to I think. Whether he gets to that stage is up to him. I'm happy he's not just doing Abrams movies though.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#132 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9422 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

So I really think hailing Giacchino as "our last hope" is really too much. There is a load of people who are arguably more talented than Giacchino in the younger generation.

Other than Desplat, no...there really aren't.

#133 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32355 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Giacchino is the best composer working today.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#134 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8292 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

That is definitely something I disagree with...

I beg to differ...

#135 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9422 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

That is definitely something I disagree with...

I beg to differ...

If you set your bar low enough, sure!

#136 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Desplatzzzzzz... zzz...

#137 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Utinni!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1288 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image
"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."

- Garth (aka Fedora)

#138 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16555 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Desplatzzzzzz... zzz...

John Williams Boom-tzzzzzz... zzz...

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#139 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7757 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

John Carter suite, is it just the cues we already "have"?

http://www.goear.com...chael-giacchino

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#140 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Utinni!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1288 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yes, I can recognize the Pursuit Of Dejah.
"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."

- Garth (aka Fedora)

#141 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2738 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Desplatzzzzzz... zzz...

Really? I think you Desplat detractors haven't listened to a lot of his output. I can see where you guys are coming from... but I'd rather see Desplat snatch up big assignments and let Giacchino work at his own pace.

I don't think there's nothing inherently wrong with Giacchino's writing. It's just... most of his movie output is underwhelming. Same with John Carter... "Pursuit of Dejah" is the only noteworthy cue I've heard so far. It could change.

Giacchino hit a definite peak with his video game scores, especially "Medal of Honor" and "Secret Weapons Over Normandy." When he lets his hair down and goes full throttle without having to worry about syncing music to imagery, that's when he's at his best.

#142 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm exaggerating my dislike for Desplat there. ;) I find Giacchino to be a more lively composer. As for the three tracks of John Carter we've heard, I like all of them to bits.

#143 ST-321

ST-321

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1187 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

I am looking forward to this score. The movie? Not so much.
Visible Suns - My Astronomy Blog

#144 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

I am very much looking forward to the film after reading the book and realizing the film's nothing like it. The curiosity is killing me. Thankfully I've only been spoiled the first half an hour or so. Great improvement, and sounds totally like an Andrew Stanton film. And Stanton has me at the cinema for his films pretty much forever.

Recently I saw parts of Finding Nemo again. Instant nostalgia attack.

#145 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 26282 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Really? I think you Desplat detractors haven't listened to a lot of his output. I can see where you guys are coming from... but I'd rather see Desplat snatch up big assignments and let Giacchino work at his own pace.

i listen to most of his output and he's dissapointing me more and more. All his scores are starting to sound the same. None are as good overall as Benjamen Button that made me kind of a fan

#146 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34909 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Anybody know where we could find out the track list of the John Carter OST?

gI98WBK.jpg

#147 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think Giacchino is the next Horner. He's not even close to Williams but someone you always look forward to new scores

That's what I think.

#148 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32355 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

i listen to most of his output and he's dissapointing me more and more. All his scores are starting to sound the same. None are as good overall as Benjamen Button that made me kind of a fan

He's the modern day Morricone. You have to really keep up with all his work to find the gems among the average ones. Did you listen to The Tree Of Life or The Ides Of March?

I'm told Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close is one of his best. Haven't listened to it yet.

#149 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3817 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Anybody know where we could find out the track list of the John Carter OST?

http://filmmusicrepo...rack/#more-8243

#150 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34909 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Track times:

1. A Thern For The Worse (7:39)
2. Get Carter (4:25)
3. Gravity Of The Situation (1:20)
4. Thark Side Of Barsoom (2:56)
5. Sab Than Pursues The Princess (5:34)
6. The Temple Of Issus (3:25)
7. Zodanga Happened (4:02)
8. The Blue Light Special (4:13)
9. Carter They Come, Carter They Fall (3:55)
10. A Change Of Heart (3:06)
11. A Thern Warning (4:04)
12. The Second Biggest Apes I've Seen This Month (2:36)
13. The Right Of Challenge (2:23)
14. The Prize Is Barsoom (4:29)
15. The Fight For Helium (4:34)
16. Not Quite Finished (2:07)
17. Thernabout (1:19)
18. Ten Bitter Years (3:13)
19. John Carter Of Mars (8:53)
TOTAL TIME: 74:13

gI98WBK.jpg

#151 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7757 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

No persuit of dejah? or is that the cue name, and these are the OST track names?

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#152 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15784 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

That was a cue name.

Can't wait for the album btw.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#153 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34909 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

No persuit of dejah? or is that the cue name, and these are the OST track names?

Pursuit of Dejah = Sab Than Pursues The Princess

Is track 12 a Monkey Island reference?

gI98WBK.jpg

#154 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16555 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

:lol:

Ah, LeBlanc (or , should I say "Don LeBlanc"?), you and your undying love for Monkey Island... I don't even think I'll be surprised if you told us "I see dead monkeys"

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#155 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15784 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Sounds fantastic to be honest. Might be Giacchino's best work yet.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#156 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34909 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am so THRILLED that Disney paid the choir fees for the enormous amount of choir in this score. And they paid for a 74 minute CD to boot. AND it's on a PRESSED CD and not digital-only! We are truly blessed!

gI98WBK.jpg

#157 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9422 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Whoa!

Just spent the last half our listening...

This is gonna be good, boys!

#158 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1348 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

While I don't know if its a Monkey Island reference but it can also be a Get Smart reference. As its a verbal gag that Don Adams used a lot on the show (especially early on).

#159 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 34909 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Good point!

gI98WBK.jpg

#160 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

This is amazing.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users