John Carter (Of Mars) directed by Andrew Stanton, music by Michael Giacchino

Jay

This is a fan trailer edited by me starting from HD videos available on the web (trailer and TV spots), assembled on the track "Sab Than Pursues the Princess" from the original soundtrack composed by Michael Giacchino.

This is a working version that still lacks dialogues and sound effects (except in the first part).

My purpose is not to create a story trailer, as was done skillfully by others, but rather to create an audio-visual editing that convey the fantasy-adventure essence of the Andrew Stanton's movie (feature totally absent from the trailer released by Disney in my opinion).

You've got a really fantastic idea there for a trailer. Might need some trimming down (at the end of the big jump, the moment of the cuts and the music feel a bit off).

I love that you start going all out with action in the mode they usually use at the end of a trailer. Then, with the Thern music, you go ssh, and after establishing great action you give a sense of mystery and something going on. The moment with the jump, the fanfare, and the ending is great (I would use other clip instead of the rescuing moment).

:up:

people forget that even Scorsese's Hugo was a massive disaster and lost a ton of money. The case with Hugo was possibly worse because it was financed out of the studio system.

Wrong. GK Films financed Hugo entirely, Paramount just distributed it. But its financial woes are nothing compared to JC's... at least Hugo found an audience throughout its theatrical run. Its international cume of $179M isn't breaking even on the $175M production budget (the studios only got half of it), but they're better off than Disney.

You've got a really fantastic idea there for a trailer. Might need some trimming down (at the end of the big jump, the moment of the cuts and the music feel a bit off).

I love that you start going all out with action in the mode they usually use at the end of a trailer. Then, with the Thern music, you go ssh, and after establishing great action you give a sense of mystery and something going on. The moment with the jump, the fanfare, and the ending is great (I would use other clip instead of the rescuing moment).

:up:

Thanks, you are extremely kind.

I assembled it about a month before the film's release,with the available materials released at the time (two trailers and someTV commercials): unfortunately due to commitments I have not finished it,but I still decided to upload it on the web.

I hope to create a final version when the movie comes out on Blu-ray.

• 2 weeks later...

He could be the next Jerry Goldsmith.

I'm sure Jerry would have loved to have a $200 million movie, even if it did tank. Giacchino will be fine I suspect.

He could be the next Jerry Goldsmith.

I'm sure Jerry would have loved to have a $200 million movie, even if it did tank. Giacchino will be fine I suspect.

Maybe you're right, Giacchino's career is too young after all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I'm trying to gather every info we have on John Carter's cue list. So far, here's what I've found (the cues with slate numbers are from pictures from the recording sessions, the cues with no slate numbers are from ASCAP website):

1m1-1m2 Zodanga Happy To Meet You

1m6 Diary Of A Cavalry Man

1m10 Get Carter

1m11-1m12 Lozem Geyn/Sure Ain't Apache

2m16 Helium Is A-Gassed

2m17 Dejah's View

2m18-2m19 Dark Side Of Barsoom

3m21 Thark Nursery

3m26 Carter? I Barely Know Her!

3m27 I’m On Mars

3m28 Ins ???

4m29 ???

4m33 The River Iss

5m36 ???

5M38 ???

6M45 The Right Of Challenge

6m46 (Choir Overlay) ???

6M47 The Fight For Helium

7m54 End Titles Part 5

Embalming Is A Non-Starter

End Credits Of Mars (well, pretty self-explanatory)

Escaping Strings Pt. 1

Escaping Strings Pt. 2

Future Prospects

Hop, Snip And A Jump

Iss Must Be The Place

John Carter Of Mars

Jumping John (Gravity Of The Situation?)

Jumping The Thark

Mars Sounds Much Better (Probably from the scene toward the end of the film, when John says "John Carter Of Mars sounds so much better")

Not Afraid Of The Thark

Rebranding Sola (The scene where Sola gets burned with the glowing iron?)

Runaway Bride (Sab Than Pursues The Princess?)

Sab Then Surrenders To Helium (Probably the cue right after Carter They Come, Carter They Fall)

Smarmy Sarkoja

Supplies And Demands

Swimming With Tharks

Thark Party (The source music for the Tharks party where John Carter kills one of them?)

The Gates Of Iss

Thern Threat (A Thern Warning?)

Time To Go Home

Torturous Drums (Probably the source music for the scene where Sola gets burned with the glowing iron)

Welcome Back Carter

Worlds Worst Nursery (Probably the cue for the scene where John gets all "cleaned up" by the Tharks) Probably for the moment where Carter stumbles upon the baby Tharks (suggested by Miles Prower. And he's probably right...)

Zodangan Proposal

If anyone knows in which order the cues are supposed to be (or which scene there are referring to), please tell me so that I can update my post.

I'll post the cue list in the Complete Cue Lists thread once we'll have put it (more or less) in the right order.

Sources :

https://www.ascap.co...arch/index.aspx

http://yfrog.com/obmbafj

http://twitter.com/m...9/photo/1/large

http://moniquedonnel...01/img_6298.jpg

http://www.marklevan...11/IMG_1067.jpg

http://img542.images.../6m47helium.png

If you *really* squint at that cue sheet...

1m01-1m02 Zodanga Happy to Meet You

1m10 Get Carter

2m17 Dejah's View

3m26 - Carter? I Hardly Know Her!

3m27 - I'm On Mars

Torturous Drums is credited to Chris Tilton.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I updated the post.

I also added a few slate numbers for some cues, which I missed on one of the pics I posted as a source (this one:http://yfrog.com/z/obmbafj)

World's Worst Nursery would probably be the moment where Carter stumbles upon the baby Tharks.

So, this is either 1m13, 1m14 or 1m15 (or 2m13, 2m14 or 2m15)...

Well, I think 1m13 (or 2m13) is probably Jumping John (Gravity Of The Situation), 1m14/2m14 is World's Worst Nursery and 1m15/2m15 is Jumping The Thark.

OK, thanks for that, I updated my post.

What's the source, though? Are you saying that based on the film (since they say something like that in that part of the film), or did you find that title somewhere else?

P.S.: Note that I also added 7m54 End Titles Part 5, since I find this pic:http://moniquedonnelly.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_6298.jpg

OK, thanks for that, I updated my post.

What's the source, though? Are you saying that based on the film (since they say something like that in that part of the film), or did you find that title somewhere else?

P.S.: Note that I also added 7m54 End Titles Part 5, since I find this pic:http://moniquedonnel...01/img_6298.jpg

The quote appears in the film, when Carter enters in the cave first time, Powell says "This place sure ain't Apache". I also found the title on ASCAP site, but it's odd this no longer appears on the web.

0% :lol:

But now that vacation is over and we actually got some stuff done around the house I should have more free time to work on this kind of stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, I'm trying to gather every info we have on John Carter's cue list.

I've found two new cue titles (with slate numbers):

6m45 The Right of Challenge

6m47 The Fight for Helium

Sources:

www.marklevan...11/IMG_1067.jpg

(at 2:16)

imageshack.us...6m47helium.png/ (Shot)

• 1 year later...

I saw that, and it only reminded me (sadly) that we (most likely) won't get to hear Giacchino return to these themes. John Carter is the only CD in my car, so I listen to it whenever I drive, and it's STILL a ridiculously enjoyable and fun listen...

If Andrew Stanton is ever allowed to do another live action film, I hope he chooses Giacchino again. I think their collaboration worked wonderfully.

The sequels would have been called Gods of Mars and Warlord of Mars, according to Stanton.

It might have been quite unexceptional, but I found John Carter to be an enjoyable film. I've seen it eariler this year and it definitely doesn't deserve its bad reputation. True, some of the acting is just serviceable, the story kind of repeats Avatar (or the other way around), but the film is quite well done. It feels like Star Wars meeting the old clunky Hollywood costumes dramas. It's very old-fashioned. I'm sure the audience will eventually embrace it.

Karol

I started this the other evening but it was too late and I had to switch it off. Seemed... watchable. Wasn't into The Mummy tone, though. Does it get better?

Gia's music was a bit irritating, but perhaps that improves further in too (I only watched it upto the part where the daughter finds out she's to be married off as part of peace deal).

I'd say the tone and the music is pretty consistent throughout the whole movie

Are you blind? John Carter in the civil war and when he's bounding across the Martian surface felt very much like a Brendan Frasier action movie.

It never felt like Ben-Hur to me. Maybe with some of the costumes, but not even close in scale or tone.

I would liken it more to The Mummy myself.

• 4 months later...

Well, it doesn't have to technically be a sequel, but it would be, ya know? What I mean is, say they just adapt another one of the books he wrote, using all the same cast and stuff. There'd be nothing wrong with doing that.

Kinda like how they made a third Narnia film with the same cast after Disney dropped that franchise.

• 8 months later...

A Look At The John Carter That Never Was

A decade ago Kerry Conran was going to direct an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough's John Carter of Mars for Paramount. Jon Favreau was on it for a while too before the rights lapses and it ended up at Disney and they made a vastly overhated feature that, even though I liked it, was still something of a whiff.

Even typing the name Kerry Conran gives me a shot of internet nostalgia. The director of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow has all but disappeared, having released a short in 2012 but having done nothing else (according to IMDB) since about 2004. I guess those Sky Captain residuals are treating him better than I would have expected.

Harry Knowles, who was a producer on this failed version of John Carter of Mars, has uploaded a higher res version of Conran's demo reel for the movie. It's been online before, but in murky quality, and this gives you a good look at just what Conran's thinking was back in the day. I think that his designs are great, although there's no guarantee those designs would have survived intact to the final film. And really the reel doesn't tell us how the movie would have worked, narratively as a whole. It's still a neat bit of ephemera; I think that what happened to John Carter is a travesty and that we should be living in a world where there are multiple sequels - John Carter and the Gods of Mars, John Carter and the Sword of Mars, John Carter the Warlord of Mars - and we're all super excited about the Burroughsverse.

Now that looked and sounded great! They should put it on kickstarter, raise a billion dollars, and go make it without any studio meddling.