2 replies to this topic

#1 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9402 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

Just a review I finally managed to get done.
http://musicmusekk.w...-john-williams/

Its quite long, but hopefully you'll get something out of it. It would be great if you can offer any criticism or feedback if possible.

Thanks!
- KK

#2 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18557 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

A great review KK. Very well put together. I really enjoyed reading it and it offered further interesting analysis and observations on the musical tapestry of this beautiful score. Well done. :)

P.S. A minor criticism. The second to last paragraph: I would not call Williams' music stale as you say: The music is cold, stale and more tragic to reflect the horrors of war. I know what you are trying to say but you could also interepret it meaning that the music is boring and the same-old, same-old.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#3 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9402 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Incanus for all the kind words! Really appreciate it!

As for the use of "stale", I meant to use it a sense to describe the cold and more detached nature of the music. I was actually debating whether "stale" would be the right word because I knew that it could definitely give off the wrong vibe. I've changed it now though, thanks for the advice!

- KK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users