Article about John Williams (Wall Street Journal)

indy4

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing indy4! A very interesting article, not only on Williams but on the direction of the movie scoring business.

Is there a larger version of that kick-ass collage?

It's [Meet the Press] a Williams composition that he's been hired to freshen, along with the "Today" opener, which NBC says will debut Jan. 16.

Woohoo!

"it's the first animated film for Mr. Williams, who says he took some inspiration from old "Tom and Jerry" cartoons he loved."

If Tom and Jerry was Williams' inspiration for Tintin, what inspired him for his ACTUAL mickeymousing scores like TOD???

Correct me if wrong, but he's never done the Today opening theme, that was some other random composer.

He did Scherzo for Today. one of my fav Williams themes.

but I think there's a kind of laziness that can creep into Hollywood scoring. A lot of it sounds generic to me," Mr. Reznor said

Fuck, this music will be SO forgotten in four years, my christmas is ruined by these electric fellows. But it's good that Alan likes.

But about that article, enjoy the productivity of this brilliant musician as long as this dinosaur will stand, then it's gone. Forever.

The excellent film music.

Nice to see someone points it out for the main public. Maybe they will realize the value of traditional film scoring.

Watching the vid on the main page I am thinking it must be so boring for JW always to tell the same story over and over again to new reporters. Apparantly Jurgensen spent a lot of time with Williams to see how he works, I wonder if he got to know some things that haven't been already knwon about JW for about the last 30 years.

• 1 year later...

OK article, but I'd rather read about composers who compose real music instead of sentimental claptrap: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203893404577098391489803280.html

Perhaps FTT, but: same purpose, different medium and different style. You can't deny both are effective when used correclty.