Photo

New Williams BPO compilation 'JW and the Boston Pops, A celebration'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20396 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Amazon just alerted me of this new compilation that is going to be released in February 21, to accompany the 80th birthady of the maestro. (why dont hey release in Feb 8th, i dont know....)

I suppose it's comprised of previously available material.

Posted Image

Tracklist: Disc: 1 1. Star Wars -- Main Theme 2. Star Wars -- Princess Leia 3. E.T. -- The Flying Theme 4. Superman -- March 5. Superman -- Love Theme 6. Raiders of the Lost Ark -- March 7. Chariots of Fire -- Main Theme 8. Gone With The Wind -- Tara Theme 9. A Summer Place -- Main Theme 10. The Pink Panther -- Main Theme 11. Never on Sunday 12. Meet Me In St Louis -- The Trolley Song 13. Singin' In The Rain -- Main Theme 14. Pops Salutes the Oscars 15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind -- Suite Disc: 2 1. Candide -- Overture 2. New York, New York -- Main Theme 3. A Little Night Music -- Night Waltz * Send in the clowns 4. Cats -- Memory 5. Annie Get Your Gun -- There's no business like show business 6. Gigi, The night they invented champagne * Gigi * Waltz at Maxim's * I'm so glad I'm not young anymore * The Parisians * Say a prayer for me tonight * Thank heaven for little girls) 7. Sleepy Lagoon 8. Moonlight Serenade 9. Satin Doll 10. In the Mood 11. Sing, sing, sing 12. A Chorus Line -- Overture 13. 76 Trombones 14. Unchained Melody 15. America Medley

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#2 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3815 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

It appears to be a straight re-release of this compilation (which consisted already of previously released material from the JW-BPO Philips recordings).

#3 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20396 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

What a crappy celebration for one's 80th birthday if you ask me... :/

#4 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3834 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think it looks like a fine mix of his own work and the famous "pop" works by others that he's conducted.

#5 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Jeez - they couldn't be arsed even to put a different cover on it? Crap.

#6 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8217 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Who cares about this CD?

His sixth Oscar will be enough of a birthday present.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#7 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

I like the new Decca cover :)

#8 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20396 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I think it looks like a fine mix of his own work and the famous "pop" works by others that he's conducted.

yeah... if it was the 1st time it had been pressed.

But it does not only comprise of previous material, the whole set is just re-issued.

He has written excellent material since the last time it was preseed it could have included something...

#9 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Yes, although the recordings of the presented tracks are the definite ones IMO so no need to re-record those ones. But indeed indeed including some newer material would have made a great anthology album. It might have to do with the Sony rights I think.

#10 Miguel Andrade

Miguel Andrade

John Williams know it all

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4548 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

For the record: this compilation draws from the recordings made in Boston during the time Williams was under contract with Philips Classics (1980-1989). From December 1989 on, Williams signed a new contract with Sony Classical, hence the not inclusion of any material from after his last Philips recording.
Miguel Andrade
[url="http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html"]http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html[/url]
e-mail: miguel.jw@gmail.com
----------------------
"I owe a tremendous debt of gratitute do John Williams. Without his music, Superman's powers are greatly deminished. Believe me, if you try to fly without that theme, you go nowhere... one step, two steps and... down!" -- Christopher Reeve, May 1993
"John Williams will go down as one of the greatest composers." -- Leonard Slatkin, american conductor
"Ah yes, the Olympics. The quadrennial event where composer John Williams collects a hefty royalty check from NBC."
"Music is not a luxury but a necessity" - Robert Shaw
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein

#11 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20311 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'm listening to JW Greatest Hits (Evan Christ) on Spotify right now! Not bad! Good sound! You can hear the buzzing of the bassoons during Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#12 Bespin

Bespin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

When buying this album, I've check all the BPO original CDs they took to make this compilation and buy the ones I didn't have yet.

Some surprises... and some deceptions! :D

"And I see him powerful, quiet, reasonable and especially polite.
Because the politeness, especially in quibble, always amazed me." - Félix Leclerc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users