85 replies to this topic

#1 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi everyone! Thought I should show some good manners and introduce myself. I'm Alice from Sweden, a huge film music-fan and John Williams is definitely in my top 5 of favorite film music composers!

The scores I like most are probably The Terminal, Harry Potter, Home Alone and of course Star Wars. I'd say The Terminal is my all-time favorite Williams score, it's incredibly warm, clever, genuine and at the same time funny. Genius!

I'm really glad I found this network, almost lost hope when I saw the official site being all... blank?

#2 Jay

Jay

I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37913 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Welcome Alice!

I too am a big fan of the Terminal's score. I think it's an underappreciated gem, especially around here!

#3 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21473 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Welcome to the community!

#4 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

I too am a big fan of the Terminal's score. I think it's an underappreciated gem, especially around here!

Not by me....

Welcome!

#5 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to the boards Alice!

And The Terminal is a lovely score indeed.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#6 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19924 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

The Terminal is Williams' worst score since the beginning of his career.

BloodBoal - who was starting to get sick of all this Terminal score praise

TheLastHobbit_zps7ca46810.png

#7 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Ah you delightful counterbalance at the other end of the scale BloodBoal. Are you the one who was said to bring balance to the Score?

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#8 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13427 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Welcome aboard Alice. :) Maybe now Miss Padmé won't feel so lonely here as being one of the other only active female posters. I'm only kidding though.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#9 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

how can one not at least like the terminal score a little bit? especially the main theme...

2:42... come on! so so great.

#10 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19924 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Ah you delightful counterbalance at the other end of the scale BloodBoal. Are you the one who was said to bring balance to the Score?

No, it was Djawadi. Unfortunately, he was corrupted by Hans Palpatine. Obi-Williams Kenobi didn't have enough time to teach him the ways of the Score and now, Djawadi, also known as Darth Ramin, is killing every composer that uses an orchestra. He already killed Mace Goldsmith, and made it look like an accident. His next target is Kenobi, and I'm not sure the old general has enough strenght left to fight him. I've got a bad feeling about this.

#11 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17691 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

Welcome! The Terminal is indeed a lovely score, particularly the love theme, which is one of Williams' all time bests. "Jazz Autographs" is one of the most inspired cues of the 21st century.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#12 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

yeah, I'd probably say the love theme is my favorite. I love the fountain scene!

and 0:30 always reminds me of zelda's lullaby... hah

#13 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

The love theme in The Terminal is one of my favorite Williams' love themes. The rendition in Jazz Autographs is awesome.

Tim

#14 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9048 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

0:30 always reminds me of Zelda's Lullaby... hah

It can't be all bad BloodBoal ;)

well my words is made of fire time to burn

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#15 Augie

Augie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Totally agree with you, Alice. One of JW's best romantic/comedy
scores. This wasn't a drawback to his 60s soundtracks, but is one
highly original and charming musical treasure box that just got
better with every listen.

People who only buy in to Williams' more grand and fanfare stuff
usually tend to not understand at all the beauty of his comedy
music.

There's just the right balance of satire & romance in this sound-
track to make it a classic, while they missed that balance in (the
second part of) the film.

"The Fountain" ist just a killer cue.

Augie

Honorable Mention to Angela Morley.

Posted Image

#16 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73517 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have never heard The Terminal

TPMSig_zps4899d3db.jpg

#17 Augie

Augie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

Williams himself called it an "Elllis Island Poem". A soundtrack for immigrants.

The more romantic tunes are connecting to the 40s and 50s, to the music of
Harold Arlen, Rodgers & Hammerstein and even the Gershwins. If you listen
to the old records from the late 50s and early 60s where Williams is billed as
a pianist or as arranger (sometimes both), you can see where it is all coming
from. In "The Terminal", Williams is clearly channeling the old time broadway
sound he performed as a youngster and in his twenties in night clubs and on
records...

He also wrote the main theme for clarinet, which I personally love. He did it
once before in "The Fury", which is another classic nobody talks about.

Posted Image

#18 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4713 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

yeah, I'd probably say the love theme is my favorite. I love the fountain scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4HaK5L78XU&feature=related

and 0:30 always reminds me of zelda's lullaby... hah

Welcome Alice and you have a good taste :)

#19 KK.

KK.

The Merciful One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10498 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:51 AM

I have never heard The Terminal

You should get that fixed... ;)

[–]CerebralCortexan[] 0 points

11 minutes ago  

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

a minute ago  

No truth to it. Hahah!

#20 Augie

Augie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Treat yourself!

Posted Image

#21 Maglorfin

Maglorfin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

Mae govannen, Alice. It's lovely to have another lady here! ;) The Terminal is indeed a great score, very colourful and I must say I'm proud of Guy Klucevsek (the accordionist who plays on this score) because of his Slovenian roots! :) But it was very saddenning to learn that the great clarinetist Emily Bernstein who also perfoms solos, has passed away some years ago.

Anyway, Alice, have a good time here on JWFan; I wish you a lot of constructive and informative debate (I learned tons here)!

Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualised aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal.

-- Konrad Lorenz

#22 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

thank you maglorfin! :)

#23 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi everyone! Thought I should show some good manners and introduce myself. I'm Alice from Sweden, a huge film music-fan and John Williams is definitely in my top 5 of favorite film music composers!

The scores I like most are probably The Terminal, Harry Potter, Home Alone and of course Star Wars. I'd say The Terminal is my all-time favorite Williams score, it's incredibly warm, clever, genuine and at the same time funny. Genius!

I'm really glad I found this network, almost lost hope when I saw the official site being all... blank?

Welcome to the board!

Yeah, The Terminal definitely has its moments . . . although I can think of at least 3 dozen John WIlliams scores that I like more! :P

How about Sabrina? Catch Me If You Can? Munich? Do you like those?

#24 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Welcome to the board!

Yeah, The Terminal definitely has its moments . . . although I can think of at least 3 dozen John WIlliams scores that I like more! :P

How about Sabrina? Catch Me If You Can? Munich? Do you like those?

thank you!

I do like munich, although it takes a special dark-score-mood for me to listen to those kind of scores. I really like "remembering munich" with the vocals, beautiful! Haven't listened too much of catch me if you can, but I really enjoyed it while watching the film. Maybe I should listen through the whole score?

#25 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16047 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

You might also like The River or The Accidental Tourist.

#26 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

I do like munich, although it takes a special dark-score-mood for me to listen to those kind of scores. I really like "remembering munich" with the vocals, beautiful! Haven't listened too much of catch me if you can, but I really enjoyed it while watching the film. Maybe I should listen through the whole score?

"Thoughts of Home" is my favorite piece on the Munich soundtrack, although it's actually the same theme as the one heard in "Remembering Munich" (in the movie it's heard over the end credits). That cello solo at the beginning, and the brief French horn solo toward the end, give me chills. So melancholic, disturbing, thoughtful, and tragically beautiful. One of Williams's masterpieces.

Yeah, if you have the CMICY soundtrack, you should definitely listen to it all the way through! The opening track, "Learning the Ropes," and "The Float" are the highlights!

#27 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

The Krakhozia National Anthem and Homesickness from Terminal, specifically the nostalgic sounding accordion solo just melts your heart away. :) It is a shame Williams did not use that melody more often in the score.

Josh don't forget Recollections (Father's Theme) from CMIYC. It is a stunning rather jazzy meditation full of melancholy and nostalgia.

#28 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Josh don't forget Recollections (Father's Theme) from CMIYC. It is a stunning rather jazzy meditation full of melancholy and nostalgia.

Indeed! :)

#29 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

thank you guys for the great tips, I'll definitely look into it all.

#30 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5080 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Do I see more traffic here than the other welcome threads?

#31 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Do I see more traffic here than the other welcome threads?

Maybe...

But for heavens sake we have another female member on the MB. We should be nice so as not to alienate her or drive her away. ;)

#32 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19924 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

But for heavens sake we have another female member on the MB. We should be nice so as not to alienate her or drive her away. ;)

So that explains it. I was thinking that it was weird that suddenly, everybody loved The Terminal. Pfff...

#33 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

So that explains it. I was thinking that it was weird that suddenly, everybody loved The Terminal. Pfff...

Hey it's a great score Bloodboaly! Don't you try to twist my words!

#34 KK.

KK.

The Merciful One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10498 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Agreed. The Terminal is a brilliant comedy score! Love it!

Oh and welcome Alice! A woman of fine taste deserves some recognition ;)

[–]CerebralCortexan[] 0 points

11 minutes ago  

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

a minute ago  

No truth to it. Hahah!

#35 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19924 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm not twisting anything!

I never liked The Terminal. This score feels like Williams was going through the motions. It has no heart, no soul. It's just an empty shell that Williams was trying to fill with random noise, and this is the Maestro greatest failure, in my opinion.

Welcome to the boards Alice!

And The Terminal is a lovely score indeed.

#36 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19529 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

:lol: You jokester you BloodBoal. Fiendishly clever jokester but one none the less.

#37 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9048 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Obviously, Incanus had a change of heart/taste.

well my words is made of fire time to burn

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#38 Donna Lackluster

Donna Lackluster

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

"Eat me, drink me."

#39 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

I respect Alice's taste and opinion (and yes, The Terminal does have its moments, I wasn't lying there), but I myself just can't really get into it. "The Tale of Viktor Navorski" is the only track that I sometimes listen to. Maybe it's because the movie itself was so weak? Dunno, maybe.

I think I even prefer the score of Stepmom over The Terminal. "The Days Between" is quietly and heartbreakingly soothing. Certainly quite different from Williams's usual output.

O dear.

I think I just PISSED on your Terminal CD...

:|

#40 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users