Photo

2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#41 pixie_twinkle

pixie_twinkle

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5042 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Man or Muppet nominated for best song??? It was a very funny scene admittedly, but come on!
"Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

#42 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Indeed, I thought Coeur Volant from Hugo really deserved a nomination. It's a fantastic song and my favorite film song of the year!

nb6gs9.jpg

#43 mrbellamy

mrbellamy

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

That's one of the best scores line up in years. I enjoyed all the 5 nominees

Agreed! I expected The Artist, Hugo, and War Horse, of course (lol), but Tintin and particularly Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were big and very pleasant surprises! My extreme love for JW goes without saying, but the opening titles for TTSS captivated me from the get-go, and I just remember immediately thinking the score would be among my favorites for the year.

Again Harry Potter got snubbed at the Oscars for even nominations. I figured this would happen, even though many thought the Academy would give them more as a sort of "encompassing the entire series" theory. But honestly, I don't care about any other Oscar that series could win EXCEPT for Art Direction. Stuart Craig needs to win this Oscar for the Harry Potter series already. I believe he has been nominated to it every time a Potter film has come out, if I am not mistaken, but never won. He needs to win it this time, not just because his art direction was excellent in the final film, but because this is a case where he should be recognized for his incredible work on the entire series. Anyone else agree? Anyone think it might happen? If it was Potter's only Oscar ever, it'd be great and well-deserved.

Stuart Craig and Stephenie McMillan have been nominated four times for Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone, Goblet of Fire, and both Deathly Hallows films. I would love to see them receive the award and agree with your sentiments about their work being a wonderful constant throughout the series, but I think it'll go to one of the Best Picture contenders, in the end. That's how these things tend to go. Harry Potter's best chance is probably in Make-Up, but even that isn't a given.

#44 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25022 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

best make up will go to the glen close movie for making her look like a dyke, because it doesn't make her look like a man. The illusion is the performance not the makeup.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#45 Fozmo

Fozmo

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

As said, great to see 5 examples of PROPER film music nominated. And I'm still quietly hopeful for a WH win....

#46 Andreas

Andreas

Regular Poster

• Root Admin
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hello,

sorry, but I am 99% sure that "The Artist" wins the oscar. :-(

Hey has Williams more nominations then Disney?

Andreas

#47 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

No. Disney has 59 nominations. We just need about 15 more Spielberg films in Williams' lifetime!

nb6gs9.jpg

#48 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

No. Disney has 59 nominations. We just need about 15 more Spielberg films in Williams' lifetime!

He also needs 5 more Oscars to be the most-WINNING composer of all time (and second most individual after Disney, who will probably never be surpassed with his 22).

#49 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19833 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Has it not been the case in the past where the two nominations cancell each other out? Like getting two noms is almost as good as a win anyway, in the Academy's eyes.

The same happened with Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha didn't it?

And Star Wars/CE3K and Schindler's List/JP. ;) But yes, I guess his chances are rather slim.

#50 ckappes

ckappes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

And Star Wars/CE3K and Schindler's List/JP. ;) But yes, I guess his chances are rather slim.

Jurassic Park was not nominated for an oscar.

I am reallly happy that he has two nominees, because both scores are really brilliant and would really deserve it. And the best thing: He has now more than Alfred Newman. Gratulations!
„With his strong classical background and his creative musical sense, John Williams has written majestic and wonderfully thematic scores for STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Through his music he has provided the most emotional heart of the films. I feel these score are among the best ever done and are equal to many of the classical pieces we have come to love.”

- Gary Kurtz

#51 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

It should have been, though.

#52 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Congrats to Williams! His War Horse is 100% deserving of the win. I saw it over the weekend and the score was classic Williams. But I'm not familiar with the politics of Hollywood so I won't try to predict the outcome.

#53 Jay

Jay

Supreme Something Something

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32075 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

I wonder if he still would have won the Oscar that year if he had been?

#54 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

P.S. I think Life's a Happy Song was better than Man or Muppet.

#55 Fozmo

Fozmo

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

And Star Wars/CE3K...

And JW won for Star Wars! So it is possible! :)

#56 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31092 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

it's really a shame that the Oscars chose to nominate Woody Allen's film. The man has no respect for the Oscars so in turn they should ignore his existance sort of like audiences at large do.

They give Oscars to people who don't bother to show up. It doesn't matter what a person thinks, if they make great films, they make great films and deserve to be recognized.

The Tree Of Life at Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Cinematography. That's what I'm talking about! Also nice to see Midnight In Paris gather so many noms.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#57 Hedwig

Hedwig

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

This year is more like 2002 than any of his other double nominations, that year we had HPSS and AI, both fantastic scores, but LOTR was going to win either way. Of course, for me anyway, I think The Artist is just winning because it's the gimmick of the year whilst LOTR was a worthy winner. Even though I think Tintin and War Horse are miles ahead of the The Artist I think it's really good an orchestral score will win this year :) And who knows we've been wrong before... there is still a tiny hope for War Horse.

#58 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9307 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Not much I can add really... The Artist has absolutely got it in the bag and Williams is screwed with double nominations (although he isn't the only composer to achieve that - Thomas Newman got Shawshank and Little Women in 1994).

Really surprised at the lack of Dragon Tatoo. At least it means that 5 proper scores are being recognised.

I still don't like The Artist, musically. Waaayyy too golden age for me. And I don't like the fact that probably anyone could've scored it, and because of the mega-popularity of the film, would've wooed voters.

But Hugo was good music and really effective in the film. Tinker Tailor is a curious choice, and I haven't seen or heard it, so maybe it's actually damn good.

Indeed, I thought Coeur Volant from Hugo really deserved a nomination. It's a fantastic song and my favorite film song of the year!

Was that an original song? I thought I read it was adapted from a french melody. Either way, I agree - it's a great, memorable song.

#59 dfenton85

dfenton85

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm obviously delighted that JW has received two nominations, but it is bittersweet as it almost certainly rules out a possibility of a win. We all know the Oscars are meaningless but it would have been nice to see him on the stage again.

Getting to first position for the number of nominations for a composer is a nice 80th birthday present!

I'm overjoyed that that sorry excuse for a score wasn't nominated (we all know which one)! Given Oscar politics, I really thought it would have been nominated.

#60 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Wonder if Hans Zimmer would have been nominated if he hadn't withdrawn from the Oscars race.

#61 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20138 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Awesome for Williams! Two more nominations for the list :)

Shame Giacchino's Super 8 did not make the list... but hey one more less 'weid-name-composer' then so williams has more options... :P

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#62 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32075 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I haven't heard Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yet, but I'm sure I won't like that score as much as Super 8, Mission Impossible 4, Priest, The Greatest Miracle, or Captain America. Oh well, what can you do?

#63 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9415 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

It's quite an interesting score. Probably not the greatest listening experience, but I think it was partially inspired by the Russia House (another Le Carré movie)
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#64 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Your Day WIll Come

• Members
  • 31092 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Iglesias is a superb composer. Both of his scores this year are great.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#65 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

A congratulations is in order for John Williams in his 46th and 47th Oscar nominations. Best of luck to the maestro!!!

#66 Mr Big

Mr Big

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

No Dragon Tattoo OR Hanna in film score! This is too good to be true!

#67 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19833 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Jurassic Park was not nominated for an oscar.red Newman. Gratulations!

Damn... somehow I thought it was.

Anyway, War Horse definitely deserves the nomination. It's not my favourite Williams score, but it's sublimely crafted music on a level hardly anyone writes at anymore for a film. And while Tintin is highly unoriginal (on the level of some of the more refreshing Horner scores, though Williams' reuse of older ideas is much more organic and unobstrusive), it also is first rate quality writing - plus a lot of fun.

#68 Mr Big

Mr Big

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Why was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Annoying nominated for Best Picture??? It has a 48% on the Tomatometer!

#69 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

Not that I care, but this is surprisingly strong lineup. And every single score in this category is "old fashioned".

Karol

Great selections and congratulations to Williams, who deserves to be nominated for nearly every score he writes.

#70 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • 25503 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Well, if Williams was only nominated for War Horse, he had a 5% chance of winning agaist The Artist. Now he has 0%

#71 p0llux

p0llux

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

Wonder if Hans Zimmer would have been nominated if he hadn't withdrawn from the Oscars race.

highly unlikely, all 5 of these scores are miles ahead of him.

#72 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25503 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Well if words gets around Williams is turning 80 it could earn him some "legendary hollywood dude" votes

#73 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32075 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

But then when they listen to the free War Horse "For Your Consideration" CD they got and the entire thing is backwards, they will go "What was the old codger thinking!"

#74 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25503 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

Tintin has no chance in hell. Hey maybe it won't even split the votes

#75 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • 32075 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

I'm truly surprised the academy gave that score the 5th slot over something by Desplat or one of those other guys with a foreign name

#76 king mark

king mark

• Members
  • 25503 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Well it's interesting

There is a remote chance Williams might get a birthday surprise. Sometimes that's how it works

#77 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

Was that an original song? I thought I read it was adapted from a french melody. Either way, I agree - it's a great, memorable song.

That wasn't a french melody, its the main theme and its secondary material packaged into a great song with Zaz's voice!

nb6gs9.jpg

#78 MissPadmé

MissPadmé

Can it be done?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2260 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

I like what you are saying KM..!

So let's move on with that discussion: Do you think Lincoln will be Williams' 7th Oscar?
________________________________________________________________________________
Brink: I don't care if you have to cut off my hand, just don't leave me to die here!
Maggie Robbins: Don't be so dramatic Brink; nobody is going to cut off your hand.
Boston Low: Don't make promises you might not be able to keep Maggie

#79 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

And Star Wars/CE3K...

And JW won for Star Wars! So it is possible! :)

The only reason Star Wars won is because of the ginormous success of the film and the huge memorability of the score. If it wasn't for the "instant classic" hype of Williams work along with the franchise, Williams probably would have lost that year too.

Star Wars was just too good to ignore. If he didn't get it, there would have been a revolt ;)

I like what you are saying KM..!

So let's move on with that discussion: Do you think Lincoln will be Williams' 7th Oscar?

Ahh...the wonder of positive thinking, building yourself up with hope and confidence only to be crushed with despair on judgement day.

The Artist is going to win people, whether we like it or not... :D

nb6gs9.jpg

#80 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

i was also surprised it wasn't nominated for animated feature, but then after thinking about it, I understand it being excluded ... the film was so plot driven; there weren't any places where we focused on Tintin's character, etc. But excited about the nominations, even if he loses.

I don't know why I should be excited about this.
Williams delivered two of the Top 5 scores of 2011 (if not of the Top 3, but I see why people wouldn't agree with that), a nomination was inevitable. Hell, Williams would have been nominated had he blown his nose with a piece of stave paper and have it recorded (it's good enough for Reznor, no?).

The only thing I want to be excited about is the anticipation whether he will win or not, and that was pretty much killed with these two noms.

We don't really know if Williams won't win. So-called "sure bets" failed before.

Oh but we do know. What do you think the Oscars are about? Quality?

It was unlikely Williams would win in the first place, but now it's pretty much an abortion before the show even starts.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users