Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

http://www.craveonli...amson-1934-2012

Posted Image

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#2 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67267 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Good character actor

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#3 Fozmo

Fozmo

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

There was a wonderful early 70s audio recording of The Hobbit on which he narrated, we had the vinyl boxset. Such a distinctive voice.

RIP Nicol.

#4 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

True, he had a great voice.

The first time I watched Excalibur I thought his portrayal of Merlin was over the top cheesy but later I kinda loved it.
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#5 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1316 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Had no idea he was still alive.

Personally, I never much liked him as an actor as it felt that he always overacted and hurt the source. A lot of this stems from him doing The Scotish Play that I saw in class a while back, but it does serve true for most stuff I saw him in. Coincidentially, I just watched Return to Oz for the first time in 20 years a few weeks ago and thought he was quite good in that.

#6 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67267 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

What is the Scottish Play?

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#7 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17092 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

RIP.

What is the Scottish Play?

Macbeth.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#8 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67267 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#9 scallenger

scallenger

Isla Nublar Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

He was great in Excalibur, but I will always remember him as the Nome King/Dr. Worley in Return To Oz. His performance in the supposed "children's film" was dark, sometimes menacing, and downright creepy. Loved every moment of it, and his amazing voice. And he may have been the only man ever to wear ruby slippers and still be a badass about it. ;) RIP indeed. :(
"Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet- or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves." -- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

#10 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4710 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

For some reason everytime I see this thread I read "Jack Nicholson".

#11 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

We see what are mind wants us to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users