Photo

You big damn sissy! - Things that scare you...

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9294 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Anyone else terrified by spiders? I'm a grown damn man, I can destroy any bug, but catch sight of a spider and I turn into a 4 four year old who has happened upon the boogyman.

If the wife is around I make her kill it. We have a contract, I handle everything else, she handles the spiders. If no one is around, I have to put on socks, long pants, long shirt, gloves, hell I'd put on a ski mask if one were nearby to go after it with a fly swatter.

I will then swing and squeal and jump back 10 feet, crook my neck trying to see if it was a hit or not, and if I haven't killed it I've alerted it, so it's run away or fallen off the ceiling (f*ck everything about trying to kill a spider on the ceiling). And then I don't see the spider anymore my blood pressure shoots up because I realize now I'm contending with an angry spider whose whereabouts I am not sure of.

Three times in my life, a damned spider has lowered itself down on a thread of silk, right smack between my face and my monitor...in a dark room.

I swear, when I see one, I am pretty sure I experience the exact same physical response my ancestors did when they came face to face with a saber toothed tiger.

#2 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31973 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm not afraid of bugs around me. If I see one, I grab a shoe and kill it. But if it's on me, I'll flip the fuck out.

One time I was driving to work, and a spider dangles down in front of my face from the ceiling of my car. It then slowly descends and lands right on my crotch when I'm going 70mph in the HOV lane.

This was me:

"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#3 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67141 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Fat people, Arabic looking people, homosexuals

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#4 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15690 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Pray that you never meet a fat Arabic-looking homosexual!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#5 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67141 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I was glad when Wael stopped posting. ;)

I don't have any clear phobia's. But I'm very ackward in social situations.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#6 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Any kind of insect, bug, whatever.

#7 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6263 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Centipedes are the worst. Holy hell. They must be destroyed. I generally leave spiders alone because they kill other insects. But they're still horribly disgusting and terrifying. Also, rats and snakes.

I sometimes get worried while driving because other people drive like nutcases.

#8 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9472 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Heights and that's it.

Centipedes crawl on my room's ceiling all the time and sometimes they even fall on my (bare in the summer) back, and it doesn't really bother me
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#9 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15690 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Centipedes crawl on my room's ceiling all the time and sometimes they even fall on my (bare in the summer) back, and it doesn't really bother me

Where the fuck do you live? The jungle?

#10 Mr Big

Mr Big

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Roaches. Is it really possible for them to crawl into your ear? I worry about that every time a roach crawls on me.

#11 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9472 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

My terrace is absolutely filled to the brim with plants, my mom loves them. So centipedes really come with the territoriy
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#12 Shane

Shane

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Spiders. To make matters worse, I all too frequently end up facing off with hunting spiders. They only come in two sizes - big and bigger. Closest call I ever had was one night when I was leaning over to switch off the bedside lamp and saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned and saw this thing marching up the side of the bed right towards me. Now this is the kind of thing my nightmares are made of. I literally jumped off the bed and turned around to see that it had gone dead still. In Blumenkohl fashion I geared up with long pants and boots and grabbed the heaviest shoe I could find. I think seismologists all over the world have a record of the moment this thing got squashed. I still get the creeps thinking about what if I'd turned the light off a few moments earlier. It would have been a remake of Dr. No.

#13 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

But I'm very ackward in social situations.

Happens to me as well. Sometimes I tend to avoid people far too much.

I also tend to avoid man made heights. I have too wild of an imagination and get absurdly mad.

Ironically, if it-s a natural height I-ll just get all excited and point the strata/erosion/overall structure/whatever, nevermind the fall...

I love spiders. And snakes. And centipedes.

#14 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13228 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I wig out every time a bee or wasp gets near me.

For spiders, if they're small to medium size ones I'll just kill instantly once I see them. However, ones that are a lot bigger than normal I will let someone else kill, I won't go near them. Black Widows are ones I'll stay away from too, unless I have some acid or some sort of bug spray like you generally would use on ants or whatever.

I'm also a bit afraid of heights. Strangely enough, I can fly in a plane no problems at all, but I really won't go up on any extremely tall building, or stand close to a ledge looking over a canyon or whatever. All though I did stand on the south tower (the first one to fall) of the World Trade Center building in New York in the summer of 1997. That was a once in a life time opportunity and I was NOT going to pass that up. Grant I was still scared as hell making my way up to the roof to look out over New York City but once I got up there it was just an awesome site. I didn't stay up there for very long, I got some pictures looked at the awesome view for a minute or two then went back down inside the building.

Hell when I lived in Vegas, I refused to go up the Stratosphere Tower because of my fear of heights. There was no way in hell you'd get me to go up in that thing, even if you paid me.

I also have a bit of a claustrophobia problem. If there's a lot of people in a small to medium size room, after a while I have to get out of there because I can't handle being in an enclosed space with a lot of people like that.

GACSignature3.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#15 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15690 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Here is to all spiders lovers (and that includes me!)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seriously, my heartbeat sped up when I was looking for this pictures on Google. I almost vomited. Fuck spiders.

#16 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9294 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

#17 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67141 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I love spiders, snakes and bats.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#18 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Bats are awesome. I like to throw stones up so when they come out so they try to get them as if they were insects. As for spiders, I don't understand the obsession with killing them. I'm that guy that'll get angry at you for killing a spider. I also like beetles.

#19 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 31973 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

I woke up my one morning to instantly notice a relatively huge spider on my bedroom window. I slowly opened it, and flicked it outside. Done deal, everyone wins. Next day, I swear the exact same spider comes crawling across the floor at me while I'm sitting at my desk. That bitch got the underside of my shoe.

Spiders aren't too common in my house, but what are everywhere - fucking camel crickets. These little fuckers piss me off so much. My room is pretty close to the basement door, so they always crawl up from the basement and find their way to me. A couple times a year we have to bomb the basement to get rid of them. If they're on the floor, in the bathtub, or wherever, I can kill 'em pretty easily. However, one time I grabbed a fresh pair of boxers from my dresser and put them on, and yes, there was a cricket in them. That was not a pretty site.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#20 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8055 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

But I'm very ackward in social situations.

Happens to me as well. Sometimes I tend to avoid people far too much.

Count me in.

But, to be fair, I feel more and more like I'm a stranger on my own planet.

I'm not afraid of any animals, poisenous or not.
I am, however, afraid of water. The thought of swimming in a lake or in the sea, not being able to feel ground beneath my feet is absolutely terrifying to me.
Luckily, getting into these situations is controllable.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#21 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17572 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

Spiders freak me out if they are near me when I'm vulnerable (i.e., about to go to sleep). I don't have any close encounters that can top what's been said in this thread already, actually the scariest spider incident occurred without me ever seeing the damn thing. I was camping with my idiot friends, and they came running out of the tent to tell me there was a giant spider in our tent (they gestured that it was about an inch long), and they were trying to get it out but it fell onto my sleeping bag and now they didn't know where it was. I was pissed that they even told me - I could've gone to sleep happily as long as I didn't know how close I was to a spider. But knowing it was there drove me crazy. I went back and started flapping my sleeping bag up and down try to shake it off, but I didn't see anything (it was pretty dark at that point). That was an awful night, I kept expecting to wake up to 8 pairs of eyes staring me down.

I heard somewhere that on average, each person eats 8 spiders each year when they crawl into our mouths as we sleep. Imagine how many more are crawling all over our bodies without us knowing.

Also, I'm never relaxed while snorkeling. I refuse to be on the edge of the group of people I'm with, especially if you can look down and just see endless blue in one direction. I always expect a shark to appear, ala the shark cage scene from Jaws.

My nightmares consist of Shelob-sized tarantulas that can swim. :shakehead:
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#22 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

http://paleopedia.fr...s_ohioensis.gif

#23 Mr Big

Mr Big

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

I've forgotten what phobias I have. Clowns used to scare the crap out of me though (the full make-up ones only, if they had any areas on the face without make-up it didn't scare me). I think it's just the foreign semi-human way they look. It's sort of like the uncanny valley effect.

#24 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10186 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Illness, socializing with big groups of people I don't know, and bugs that sting would be my biggest ones, I think. I also have what I'd call a healthy fear of heights...not an outright phobia, but the sort of caution that kept my ancestors from wandering off of tall cliffs. Oh, and I'm not a big fan of vomiting. I once had a bit of a panic disorder focused on that one.

#25 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 31973 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

You're afraid of throwing up? That's an uncontrollable bodily function. It'd be like being afraid of taking a dump.

#26 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Arachnophobia, definitely. I used to have a phobia for depths too, but conquered it about 6-7 years ago.

In a less specific way, I also have a fear of not getting the things done during my life that I want to (especially with the problems related to health, job etc. that I've had these last few years).

#27 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10186 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

You're afraid of throwing up? That's an uncontrollable bodily function. It'd be like being afraid of taking a dump.

Except vomiting is a lot less pleasant, and a lot less frequent, and a lot harder to control. Even so, it's not something that merits rational fear. Just a stupid phobia of mine that I've mostly conquered.

#28 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7740 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Any bug, insect or other vermin of the sort...especially spiders. Dear God BloodBoal, those pics were just cruel...

nb6gs9.jpg

#29 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9278 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I heard somewhere that on average, each person eats 8 spiders each year when they crawl into our mouths as we sleep. Imagine how many more are crawling all over our bodies without us knowing.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

#30 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 31973 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Yeah I wouldn't believe that for a second.

#31 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Why y'all have to kill spiders?

I am a big fan of arachnids, hence why I have a tarantula. Fascinating.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#32 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15690 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Are you talking about your wife? That's not very nice...

#33 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Why y'all have to kill spiders?

:up:

#34 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67141 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Beautiful animals

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#35 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20327 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm not afraid of animals...It would be like like a journalist being afraig to interview people :P But i'm cautious around the poisonous/Dangerous ones.

Ticks disgust me. Well, all animal parasites (arthopods, worms) do, more to the fear of getting one that their inherent ugliness.

My terrace is absolutely filled to the brim with plants, my mom loves them. So centipedes really come with the territoriy

Are we talking about Scolopendras? :blink: Their bite is quite painful...i wouldnt want to irritate them on my sleep...

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#36 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20145 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm a huge arachnophobe. Tiny spiders don't bother me, but anything larger than 5mm or so freaks me out. Daddy longlegs are worst - not technically spiders, but it's the design and movement that counts.

In fact, spiders freak me out so much that I can't even kill them. And to make matters worse, over the last several years my arachnophobia seems to have extended to many kinds of regular bugs.

#37 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 67141 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

But not walruses? Far more dangerous then a spider.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#38 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hippopotamuses are also beasts to behold.

#39 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9453 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Massive arachnophobe. Can't even touch a daddy-long-legs. If I see a spider of any sort, my current task ends abruptly, and I start looking for a suitable method of killing it. I don't panic or anything, but I won't rest until that thing is either wrapped in a tissue and in the bin, or out the window.

I'm also terrified of heights, but with an important caveat - it doesn't apply when I'm in any sort of harness, or attached to something which would prevent me from falling.

Therefore, I can: go up tall buildings, bungee jump, go in a plane/helicopter (I love flying actually), zip-line,

But I can't: go to the edge of a huge canyon or mountain, walk on a narrow path or bridge with no rope/rail, and especially one which is steep.

#40 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20145 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Heights... I used to be terrified by them, including tall buildings and flying. Nowadays I have no problems with buildings (as long as their is some sort of railing), chair lifts, cable cars, flying. I do get nervous though when someone sits on a window or railing. And I can't imagine jumping out of a flying plain or off a bridge.

But not walruses? Far more dangerous then a spider.

I really have to start looking for a new non-Christmas avatar...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users