Photo

I wonder if this composer listened to Far and Away?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17692 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

At 1:14 there's a theme that sound sort of similar to William's love theme from Far and Away. The theme and the piece in general are different enough that I don't think it comes close to being a rip-off, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the composer was subconsciously channeling some JW. It's a nice piece of music, btw.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#2 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6036 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like a regular irish-tingled theme. It's not that JW invented those in 1992.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#3 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17692 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

It's not the Irish-tinge that sounds similar, it's the structure. The rhythm and shape of the line starts off almost exactly the same.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#4 Michael

Michael

No one will ever know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2547 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I wonder if Williams listened to The Hobbit...

:P
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#5 KK.

KK.

The Merciful One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10535 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

I've met this composer before and he conducted a piece we played of his a long time ago. I like his music very much, and I definitely hear the similarities you're talking about. Who knows? John Williams is everywhere, whether you know it or not ;)

[–]CerebralCortexan[] 0 points

11 minutes ago  

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

a minute ago  

No truth to it. Hahah!

#6 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32983 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

John Williams is everywhere, whether you know it or not ;)

John Williams is watching you poop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users