Photo

I wonder if this composer listened to Far and Away?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17660 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

At 1:14 there's a theme that sound sort of similar to William's love theme from Far and Away. The theme and the piece in general are different enough that I don't think it comes close to being a rip-off, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the composer was subconsciously channeling some JW. It's a nice piece of music, btw.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#2 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5617 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like a regular irish-tingled theme. It's not that JW invented those in 1992.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#3 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17660 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

It's not the Irish-tinge that sounds similar, it's the structure. The rhythm and shape of the line starts off almost exactly the same.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#4 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I wonder if Williams listened to The Hobbit...

:P
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#5 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8238 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

I've met this composer before and he conducted a piece we played of his a long time ago. I like his music very much, and I definitely hear the similarities you're talking about. Who knows? John Williams is everywhere, whether you know it or not ;)

#6 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32299 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

John Williams is everywhere, whether you know it or not ;)

John Williams is watching you poop.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users