232 replies to this topic

#1 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6941 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Since our posts were infecting the John Williams Action Music thread, I thought I should start this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdaWm-w_9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0S5cvZKAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdaWm-w_9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIo8BZTjrYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM1X2TcGMb4

https://www.youtube....h?v=JlcheT4Q8M4

https://www.youtube....feature=related

https://www.youtube....h?v=vsLrwHIKlws

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

#2 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26616 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Indeed. And at last it should be a sticky.

#3 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4971 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Cool.

#4 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Necessary.

#5 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Posted Image
"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after Return of the Jedi?,' and there really is no answer for that. The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

- George Lucas

#6 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

Two words: The Meld.

Two more words: The Construction.

Four more words: Have A Nice Trip.

Five more words: This Goldsmith guy fuckin' rocks.
Posted Image

#7 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Air Force One has been showing and I've been tuning in just to hear the kickass score.

#8 Trent Bennett

Trent Bennett

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12990 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Air Force One has been showing and I've been tuning in just to hear the kickass score.

It definitely is a bad ass score. I love the near complete boot for it. I'm irritated though that Varèse has the rights for the score in perpetuity. We may never see a legit expanded release for it.
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name......Enterprise." - Captain Picard

#9 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Trent, I comparred the old boot to the new one with excellent sound, and then aganst the film -- if you combine the properly, it's the complete score, with some cues not used, some alternates*.

* = There are, however, two pick-ups missing. The Main Title has some opening bars not on either boot, and another cue (that's I don't recall the name of) has a brief extended ending.
REJECTED FILM SCORES SITE
Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes! First chance i get."
-The Prisoner-

PLEASE NOTE: I don't sell CD-Rs, or trade MP3s -- do NOT contact me asking for those; I also don't do downloading/uploading. Just trade, CD-Rs.

#10 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Woah...do you mean to say in all this time, JWFan has never had an official Goldsmith tread?! :o

That's a lot to take in...I might need a minute....

nb6gs9.jpg

#11 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

Feel free to post any interviews where Goldsmith comes off like a bit of a dick.

#12 MrJosh

MrJosh

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Cool....I've been going through my Jerry collection over the past couple weeks, I think I might try to rank them fav to least.

#13 Trent Bennett

Trent Bennett

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12990 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Feel free to post any interviews where Goldsmith comes off like a bit of a dick.

During one of the session boots for Star Trek The Motion Picture you can hear Goldsmith snapping at a couple of the musicians telling them sharply to be quiet.
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name......Enterprise." - Captain Picard

#14 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

And telling Joel something like, "Joel, you think you can get back to work now?"

But yopu got to remember, this wasn't a fun-filled thing for him, this was work and he took it very seriously. Except that one time he put on a gorilla mask for POTA. ;-)

Just watch those 24+ minute of sessions from "Menphisto Waltz" on Youtube. Just watch all those interviews on Youtube. Just read any of his interviews in magazines, like Soundtrack!.

Where one might see a "dick", another with stronger work princaples might see a man with a love and passion, under studio pressure (each minute of recording in very pricey...) to get it done, while at the same time making any producer/directors there happy, and not alienating the musicians in the process. And he had at least two kids, a divorce, a drinking habbit at one time, and then illness that lead to his death. Give the man a little room.
-The Prisoner-

PLEASE NOTE: I don't sell CD-Rs, or trade MP3s -- do NOT contact me asking for those; I also don't do downloading/uploading. Just trade, CD-Rs.

#15 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

Here's one interview that clearly shows Goldsmith being such a dick.

#16 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4794 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Where one might see a "dick", another with stronger work princaples might see a man with a love and passion, under studio pressure (each minute of recording in very pricey...) to get it done, while at the same time making any producer/directors there happy, and not alienating the musicians in the process. And he had at least two kids, a divorce, a drinking habbit at one time, and then illness that lead to his death. Give the man a little room.

I have the RIVER WILD sessions footage on the Goldsmith DVD and i honestly can't see any behaviour that would intimidate a 10-year old. I meet men far more edgy in daily working life. The world just isn't a place inhabited by wise wizards gifting supreme powers at a whim, friendly fairies smiling lovingly or boisterous hero types.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#17 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16161 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have the RIVER WILD sessions footage on the Goldsmith DVD and i honestly can't see any behaviour that would intimidate a 10-year old. I meet men far more edgy in daily working life. The world just isn't a place inhabited by wise wizards gifting supreme powers at a whim, friendly fairies smiling lovingly or boisterous hero types.

I think in film music industry all composers have to have a quite strict discipline and authority to keep the ball rolling and recording sessions going. I do not think that you should label a man "a dick" for trying to maintain schedule and professional atmosphere when the clock is ticking and people should be in line. Everybody has a bad day sometimes, everybody has some issues that might affect their work and relationships at work, no matter how professional they might be. What I have seen from any recording sessions (only video material) are people highly disciplined doing amazing work with tight schedules and budgets, being very no-nonsense about it and keeping a strict order to do so. You do not have to run recording sessions like a Nazi concentration camp but the other end of the spectrum is not happy-go-lucky atmosphere where people goof around. Sometimes people actually deserve what they have gotten from a composer/conductor if they have not been sharp enough that day.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#18 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4794 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

I don't doubt that Goldsmith could be a pretty grumpy fellow, but fans often seem to expect a fleshborn incarnation of their deep affection which quite understandably puzzles a lot of artists more than it flatters them.

I saw both Williams and Goldsmith in concert, and i can flat out tell you that the line-up of often quite impolite nerds with a stack of 40 LP's to sign would make me very irascible after a while. Wouldn't you believe all the complaints you could read on FSM later how 'unapproachable' the composers were? These stories get repeated ad nauseum et voilá, first class prick is your new label! :sigh:
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#19 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I remember one story from a member, possibly on FSM, who told he somehow got invited to a session (I forget which score), and he brought a little bag of CD's to sign, if the chance arouse, but he decided not to. Goldsmith was polite, chatted briefly, and he had a great time, and when he left and retrieved his bag, when he wasn't looking, guess who signed them?

Great little story.
-The Prisoner-

#20 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hey, it was nothing against Goldsmith. Judging from many appearances I've seen, he was a very blunt, no-nonsense kinda guy. Not a bad guy or anything. No doubt he was a workhorse, professional, musical God, etc. It's not about signing autographs or whatever. I would say he was something like a cross between Spock and McCoy. When examining the Beatles of film scoring, he was clearly the balls.

#21 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Woah...do you mean to say in all this time, JWFan has never had an official Goldsmith tread?! :o

"Official" threads are still a relitively new phenomenon, back in "the day" we didn't really bother with them.

As I said in his birthday thread I've been going through my whole Goldsmith collection and have been loving it. Discovered new love for some scores I never thought much of before, reaffirmed it for others. Might post some thoughts when I get done.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#22 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Soarin' just played in shuffle. What a phenomenal piece of music. Totally transcends the ride. Hell, the music MAKES the ride.

#23 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17386 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

:thumbup: Although I think it would still be a great ride without the music.
Recently Purchased CDs:
1. Midway (Original Recording) - John Williams 2. Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4-6 - Herbert Von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmonic 3. Williams: Violin and Flute Concerto - Leonard Slatkin and the London Symphony Orchestra 4. On the Town/Anchors Aweigh - Various

#24 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

"Official" threads are still a relitively new phenomenon, back in "the day" we didn't really bother with them.

Oh, I see. Its just I'm surprised that Desplat and lesser known composers like Abel Korzeniowski (although he's exceptionally talented) have gotten "Official" threads and the legend Goldsmith, hasn't ;)

So guys, whats your favourite Goldsmith score? Tough question, I know :D

nb6gs9.jpg

#25 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19817 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Extreme Prejudice

#26 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

and

#27 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13908 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

#28 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

#29 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19817 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

What's funny is that one of the doorbells where I work is the same ascending interval that opens the fanfare to Goldsmith's Masada. So everytime someone wants in, I immediately think of that theme.

#30 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

The few film cameo appearances of Jerry Goldsmith:

#31 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9502 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

That is full of win.

#32 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

#33 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

Another Goldsmith's cameo. ;)

Posted Image
"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after Return of the Jedi?,' and there really is no answer for that. The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

- George Lucas

#34 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

#35 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Another Goldsmith's cameo. ;)

Posted Image

Lol :)

#36 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13908 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Not many directors give their composer a cameo. Joe Dante is the man!

#37 Ro Sajooc

Ro Sajooc

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've just found a website about Goldsmith (in french) :)
http://www.goldsmith-themusicallaw.net

- George Lucas

#38 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17386 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Wow, Jerry isn't a bad actor.
Recently Purchased CDs:
1. Midway (Original Recording) - John Williams 2. Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4-6 - Herbert Von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmonic 3. Williams: Violin and Flute Concerto - Leonard Slatkin and the London Symphony Orchestra 4. On the Town/Anchors Aweigh - Various

#39 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

Same thing that was going through my head ;)

nb6gs9.jpg

#40 Johnnyecks

Johnnyecks

Collector extrordanaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

All this thread does is make me miss his talent even more. The great things that he could've done......
Hopefully I will hit 2,000 posts before 12/21/12.
Facebook Me: http://www.facebook....cks?ref=profile
AOL IM: Johnnyecks
Stay strong! Always vigilant. Never forget 9/19/04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users