#1 Maurizio

Maurizio

Williamsophile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

http://www.hometheat...ry-blu-ray-book

The extra contents will feature Warner at War, a 2008 documentary narrated by Steven Spielberg and with original music by John Williams (according to IMDb).

"It's still baffling to me. I sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper and do my best... The remarkable thing is that my music is heard by billions of people." --John Williams

"Let me say, however, there is no "next" John Williams. Sadly, he is unique--- a figure who simultaneously embodies and transcends the music of all the masters of film music who preceded him (much like Brahms and Wagner of the Romantic era). He comes from a time when the craft of music in film was still one of the ear, heart and mind. Today, sadly, the craft is largely technical. Most composers do not conceive their music "inwardly" but rather at the computer--- and with rather limited skills, musically, at that. The inner spirit knows no boundaries--- our plastic abilities, sadly, do. John is a man of spirit, heart, intellect and soaring music." -- Conrad Pope about John Williams

#2 Nemesis

Nemesis

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Maybe there's a chance that La-La Land will release the expanded score soon!
You can listen to my music here

#3 Maurizio

Maurizio

Williamsophile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yes, bring on Warner at War expanded edition! ;)
"It's still baffling to me. I sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper and do my best... The remarkable thing is that my music is heard by billions of people." --John Williams

"Let me say, however, there is no "next" John Williams. Sadly, he is unique--- a figure who simultaneously embodies and transcends the music of all the masters of film music who preceded him (much like Brahms and Wagner of the Romantic era). He comes from a time when the craft of music in film was still one of the ear, heart and mind. Today, sadly, the craft is largely technical. Most composers do not conceive their music "inwardly" but rather at the computer--- and with rather limited skills, musically, at that. The inner spirit knows no boundaries--- our plastic abilities, sadly, do. John is a man of spirit, heart, intellect and soaring music." -- Conrad Pope about John Williams

#4 Nemesis

Nemesis

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, that too!! :D
You can listen to my music here

#5 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14244 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Maybe there's a chance that La-La Land will release the expanded score soon!

No need. There will be an isolated score track.

Jaqen2_zpsde0dd5b7.gif

"Big Jaqen is watching you."

#6 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18674 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

A no brainer purchase!

Do they clean and restore the movie?
Television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable. - David Lynch

#7 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64198 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ofcourse not, its not jurassic park or indiana jones.

#8 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Excellent.

#9 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18674 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Isn't Spielberg proud of his movies? Warner even restored Blade Runner, which was also a big flop at the time.
Television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable. - David Lynch

#10 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 64198 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Any idea how Spielberg regards this film? I mean if he wants a top level restoration, then it will be done.

#11 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18674 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

We'll probably know spielberg's thoughts if we buy the Blu-ray.

#12 Maurizio

Maurizio

Williamsophile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

It appears this is the year of Spielberg's films on Blu. In the coming months we'll get Jaws, E.T., Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Empire of the Sun and of course also Tintin and War Horse.

#13 Jason LeBlanc

Jason LeBlanc

Leeloo Dallas Multi Pass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31994 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

If there was a recently made HD Master for use on HD television channels they will probably just use that

-Jay

#14 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I've seen an HD copy that looked amazing. LOTS of grain, though. And yet it kind of fits. I wonder how this will look.

#15 Michael

Michael

Hold me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Sorry to dissapoint you guys...

If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#16 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25021 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

We'll probably know spielberg's thoughts if we buy the Blu-ray.

unlikely since he never provides commentary.

Empire has never been a favorite SS film of mine, however the same cannot be said for the score which is far better than the film itself.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#17 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

This will be a good excuse to screen it for the gf. I've not watched it for getting on ten years myself, so I'm quite looking forward to seeing it in hi-def.

#18 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1843 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

The hd restoration is quite nice.

#19 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

The first half is one of Spielberg's great cinematic achievements, partly because he takes the time to unravel a story and its history in an almost trancelike visual state free of the more conventional trappings of his commercial films (post-JAWS, that is).

The second half in the camp gets a bit more conventional, but still is obscenely good epic moviemaking. It is said without EOTS there wouldn't be a SCHINDLER'S LIST and there's some truth to that. I don't see what the score could possibly gain from expansion. There is one schmaltzy choral piece left off the original release but it's hardly 2 minutes long - apart from that, the Warner release was perfect.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#20 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I loved this film, personally.

#21 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9412 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

One of Spielberg's greatest achievements and by far his most overlooked film as far as awards go. My appreciation for it grew expoencially in the last couple of years
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#22 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 64198 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Empire has never been a favorite SS film of mine, however the same cannot be said for the score which is far better than the film itself.

Insert response from Alex, something along the line that he's not surprised, that you better stick to Raiders and Jurassic Park, and some kind of half hearted gay comment.

#23 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Well, it's a brilliant film. But it's not a great film; like Raiders.

Not that any comparisons between the two are in any way relevant.

#24 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

I think it's a great film, it's just different to Raiders in everything. :lol:

Props to Spielberg for being willing to explore many different areas.

#25 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 64198 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

What? A Spielberg war film is hardly a rare thing...

#26 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

It's a five star flawed masterpiece, indeed. But I have trouble speaking about it on the same terms as the icons of modern cinema.

#27 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Well, RAIDERS may be a popular film, but you certainly can tell that Spielberg wasn't very emotionally involved in it, apart from lending his technical proficiency.

Although i'd rather watch RAIDERS than EOTS casually, the latter flies on a much higher plane - emotionally and intellectually.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#28 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Well, RAIDERS may be a popular film, but you certainly can tell that Spielberg wasn't very emotionally involved in it, apart from lending his technical proficiency.

You can tell where?

Spielberg's investment in that film is pretty well documented.

#29 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

This is a nonsense. Or in layman's terms - complete and utter bullshit. Moreover, I can only assume you know nothing of Spielberg's situation (and standing) when he made Raiders.

Although i'd rather watch RAIDERS than EOTS casually, the latter flies on a much higher plane - emotionally and intellectually.

This statement is closer to the plain ridiculousness I mentioned earlier. Or perhaps you're not concerned with directorial prowess.

#30 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Baby, it is like it is.

#31 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Ah, I was right.

Spielberg films in order of greatness, a handy guide:

Jaws
Raiders
E.T.
The rest

#32 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5978 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Well, by many accounts Jurassic Park looks like shit on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up with a new transfer as part of the Centennial series.

As for this Blu-ray, no new extras directly related to the movie. That's disappointing. At least there's a single new extra, unlike the Hook Bu-ray. This is one of the oldest Spielberg DVDs I have in the snapper case and it still looked okay on my last viewing. Hopefully it'll be a spectacular upgrade since this movie looks and sounds friggin' awesome.

#33 publicist

publicist

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

I found the DVD transfer very satisfying. They can wake me up again when it's streaming in HD...no blu-ray player will enter my household.

#34 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Spielberg films in order of greatness, a handy guide:

Jaws
Raiders
E.T.
The rest

:lol:

#35 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25021 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

the conventions shown in the film have that been there done that, you did it again feeling. The narrative of the film could have used some trimming. It's a terrific film but there are better Spielberg efforts but he did get one hell of a score out of John. Come on every knows that the music to Cadillac of the Skies is much more inspirational than the visuals it's scored too.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#36 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

I think they visuals and the music are appropiate for each other,

#37 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9412 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Come on every knows that the music to Cadillac of the Skies is much more inspirational than the visuals it's scored too.

It's one of the very peculiar characteristics of this score. It doesn't really score what we're seeing, but the heightened reality of what Jim is seeing
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#38 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26595 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

It's fine music (from Jim's viewpoint), but I can't get that (over-scored) shot of Nigel Havers bounding up the stairs out of my head. It's a jarring moment in an otherwise magnificent scene; which means it isn't flawless, by my own standards.

#39 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5978 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

You know what's a great part? When Jim salutes the pilots. Woof, just spectacular moviemaking.

#40 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

The imaginary air battle is one of my favourite moments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Williams On Blu, Steven Spielberg, Movie Talk, John Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users