Jurassic Park 3D re-release in theaters April 5 2013

Matt C

I'm not sure if you guys know it yet, but it seems like Jurassic Park IV has been put by the wayside (for the 100th time) and Universal Pictures has decided to re-release the first film in digital 3D. The re-release will hit theaters July 19, 2013 (Universal has moved the Tom Cruise-starrer Oblivion to April 26 from its original July 19 spot).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark3d.htm

I know my dad will be happy to see this in theaters again...

Well, I might argue that of all the 3D cash-ins, this is the most functional and deserving of the lot. I won't go see it, but I'd have no problems telling others they ought to.

This is why the Blu-ray looked like crap, so they can re-release it twice.

I just don't want to see movies in 3D. Is it wrong of me? I mean, I'll go see Titanic and the Star Wars Trilogy, yeah. But not really for the 3D. Because it's the movie in a theater.

I just don't want to see movies in 3D. Is it wrong of me? I mean, I'll go see Titanic and the Star Wars Trilogy, yeah. But not really for the 3D.

If you've seen bad 3D (coupled with blurry images), I can understand that. Natively-shot 3D movies like Avatar and Hugo are immersive, well-lit (with offsets the dim glasses) but don't abuse the 'coming at you' effect like some others do -- they're definitely worth the extra money. But animated movies, like Tintin (it looks good either way) don't utilize the 3D in a memorable way.

Post-converted is a different thing. If the director is involved and the conversion company takes its time, it's not a bad effort. Titanic looks like natively-shot 3D, thanks to James Cameron getting involved with every frame. The Phantom Menace and the past two Disney re-releases didn't look half-bad either. But rush jobs like Thor, Captain America and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 are terrible in 3D.

Since this is Spielberg and Universal we're talking about here, I'm pretty sure some theaters will get a 2D version too.

I passed up the opportunity to see this in theaters in 1993 because I didn't want to watch it by myself; I watched D2 with my family, which is a minor regret to have to admit to, but it's still something I wish I had seen in the theater.

I saw Titanic in the theater and feel that 3D will add nothing, but I would like to see JP in the theater. JP2 was the only one of the franchise I saw theatrically.

However, I might have to reconsider for the opportunity to see Kate Winslet's tits in 3D on the big screen.

I honestly just can't wait to see this in theaters, hopefully as a 2D option! If only 3D is available, so be it. Nothing can stop me from seeing my personal favorite film on the big screen again! :D Should be amazing.

I too am wondering if they will reissue the first film on Blu Ray with a better transfer. They may have to clean it up more to convert to 3D anyway, correct? May as well make some money off of doing that besides the 3D release itself.

I wonder if this also opens up the chance of an expanded score for the first film next year, even just the fact that it's also it's 20th anniversary. Not sure who would release it (I'm betting on Intrada due to their relation with Universal, like their Back To The Future release), but I'm hoping it's being considered! :) Either that or we get a terrible soundtrack re-issue with just a modified cover like Star Wars: Episode 1 got this year. :( Bleh.

Three reasons this excites me tremendously:

1. Almost definitely means the film will be remastered frame by frame in 4K, ala Titanic. So they'll double-dip on that awful 11 year old BluRay master with a new state-of-the-art one.

2. Very high likelihood that either Universal or one of the music labels will actively pursue a complete score release to tie-in with the anniversary.

3. Just seeing the film on the big screen for the first time since I was 6 years old! :)

I think this explains why they poured all that money into the new 7.1 DTS-HD audio mix, and why they didn't do a new video master for the BluRay; they knew they would do this down the line and could make more money by holding off.

I wonder if this also opens up the chance of an expanded score for the first film next year, even just the fact that it's also it's 20th anniversary. Not sure who would release it (I'm betting on Intrada due to their relation with Universal, like their Back To The Future release), but I'm hoping it's being considered! :) Either that or we get a terrible soundtrack re-issue with just a modified cover like Star Wars: Episode 1 got this year. :( Bleh.

Maybe they'll release a JP 3D soundtrack album. :rolleyes:

All I need is Journey To The Island Dialogue Version, and I'll be the happiest man alive

Yahoo!

How about "Remembering Petticoat Lane- The Dialogue Version"?

Hey, you know... I'm sure that actually wouldn't be a bad listen, honestly! Gotta love Attenburrough! ;)

No, I can see the fleas. Mummy, can't you see the fleas?

On Bluray Jurassic Park looks dated and grainy, Lost World looks very soft and lacks detail (might be Kaminski's photography though, even War Horse looks soft on Bluray), and JP3 looks pretty good but that's the newest film.

I'd much rather have a JP4 (it's been friggin' 12 years since the last one already!), but a 3D version of JP should be interesting. I've seen the movie at least 20 times, and this should be a fresh way to see it.

So, in summer 2013 we'll have both JP 3D and Robopocalypse. How fitting.

I wonder if JP3D is a useful way for the studio to gauge audience interest in the series in terms of its theatrical legs, viz a viz proposed JP4.

All in all, good times ahead.

JC

JP4? To quote the comic book guy, "worst idea ever."

Correction. BEST idea ever!

I only wish it developped from the idea stadium to the 'actually happening' stadium.

I just think it's a stupid concept to revisit for a fourth time. If Islas Sorna y Nublar were in the real world, they would either have been seized by the United States military and napalmed to kill the abominations, or at the very least be surrounded by mines and guarded by a small navy to prevent the same kind of curious idiots from the third movie from going there in the first place and stirring up trouble. There is no reason to continue to tell stories in that "universe" since the governments portrayed are too stupid to recognize the ecological time bomb on those islands.

I just think it's a stupid concept to revisit for a fourth time. If Islas Sorna y Nublar were in the real world, they would either have been seized by the United States military and napalmed to kill the abominations, or at the very least be surrounded by mines and guarded by a small navy to prevent the same kind of curious idiots from the third movie from going there in the first place and stirring up trouble. There is no reason to continue to tell stories in that "universe" since the governments portrayed are too stupid to recognize the ecological time bomb on those islands.

There are lots of reasons. Any fictional universe set up over three films (and a computer game) has lots of threads to spin on -- especially a universe so well-equipped as this. It could basically go on forever. I'm less interested in the plot lines, though, and more in returning to the brilliant MOOD. My dream would be a JP TV series of some kind. I wonder if this was ever attempted.

There is still a good movie to be made from the actual source material...the idea of the US Military bombing the islands to smithereens...this could easily tie in with a movie regarding the REAL reason Grant and Malcolm et al were so desperate to get back to the compound quickly in the original book. There's still a good movie to be made, and this franchise still has legs...

JP3D? I saw this movie during a brief re-reslease late last year here in the UK, so I'm not of the mind that I MUST see it in the cinema again (though it's worth it just for a handfull of shots...really worth it!) - but I must admit the concept of seeing the first Tyrannosaur assault in good post-produced 3D is...tantalising....!

I wouldn't mind a fresh adaptation of the original novel that actually covers everything instead of making up a bunch of stuff. Would probably have a be a 2part miniseries though

"A" computer game? No, I wouldn't call that a game as much as a button-mashing interactive movie. Ocean made a superior movie tie-in PC game released in 1993 that superbly balances movie events with those from the book. And there have been many more made since for the PC, Genesis/SNES, and other systems.

I have less problems with the liberties that Jurassic Park 1 took than with the deviations made for JP2.

I would rather see Warren Fahy's "Fragment" novel turned into a movie than see another movie in the tired Jurassic Park franchise. It's a splendid Crichton-like biological adventure yarn that has enough carnage to balance out its preachy pseudo-science.

um...is there a real announcement?

i just saw the link is only to a 'fresh' boxofficemojo page...

Universal has not made a big press release touting this annoucement, but Nikki Finke's Deadline.com is a real Hollywood news site. Here's her colleague Fleming's post:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/universal-moves-oblivion-up-to-april-26-2013-original-jurassic-park-in-3d-to-july-19-2013/

"A" computer game? No, I wouldn't call that a game as much as a button-mashing interactive movie. Ocean made a superior movie tie-in PC game released in 1993 that superbly balances movie events with those from the book. And there have been many more made since for the PC, Genesis/SNES, and other systems.

Well, that button-pushing was complex enough for me who never play games where you die. I'm a hardcore and oldschool adventure game/point-and-click fan, and basically stopped playing in the 90's. I also loved interactive movies. So this was more than complex enough for me. Beyond the gameplay, though, I loved the atmosphere and returning to a universe I love from top to toe. Very well written, and a proof that you can do so much with the story here!

Well modern games are beginning to adhere more and more to the dogma of "Press A, something awesome happens" and then you watch a 5 minute long cut scene after which you repeat this until the game is over. Could work for JP as well. ;)

Yes, modern games are regrettably full of those moments. Tell-Tale's Jurassic Park. Duke Nukem Forever. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Those moments suck.

But then again, legitimately good games like Batman: Arkham Asylum have "button mashing" where you have to press the button repeatedly to do a mundane task, like pull open a vent grate or pull down on the batclaw to break a rock wall open. These moments are equally pointless and terrible.

Don't tell me that hardcore old-school gaming made death impossible. The ghosts can kill Pac-Man. Besides, I remember finding a few satisfying ways to kill Doctor Jones in The Fate of Atlantis.

Don't tell me that hardcore old-school gaming made death impossible. The ghosts can kill Pac-Man. Besides, I remember finding a few satisfying ways to kill Doctor Jones in The Fate of Atlantis.

Yes. Old games were much more brutal than modern ones when it comes to difficulty and sudden deaths. Sierra was one adventure game company that had ridiculously difficult and frustratingly deadly puzzle games in their catalogue.

I hate games that rely on heavy button-pushing. I love lots of cut-scenes, dialogue, puzzles, mood -- basically oldschool Lucasarts stuff (or Sierra etc.). Where you can remain calm and suck it all in, THINK and just walk around. My kind of game, that. The JP game thankfully had much of that, but a little too much 'action button-pushing' for my taste. But bearable.

So you're a Myst/Riven fan, then, I take it?

this could easily tie in with a movie regarding the REAL reason Grant and Malcolm et al were so desperate to get back to the compound quickly in the original book.

Please refresh my memory.

So you're a Myst/Riven fan, then, I take it?

Absolutely, yes. Although not as much as the other things. Some of the puzzles were just insanly difficult, and the 'picture-by-picture' movement was a bit stale.

A Jurassic Park reboot is long overdue. Starring Paul Walker and Jessica Alba. Hammond will be a barnstorming comeback performance from Nick Nolte. Ramin Djawadi will provide the heart-stopping beats and wailing woman.