A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16035 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

It's fine.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#42 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6694 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

How can I hear this?

#43 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7939 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

I have it ET, I will make a video. its in mono though.

here is someone else's video recording.

here is my recording:

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#44 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8694 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

That fanfare sounds great! Not as good as his past works (especially his olympic fanfares, but its unfair to compare it to them), but it still sounds pretty great!

#45 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Sounds like Western to me

#46 Snowster

Snowster

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Here is a link to the 'official' video:
http://mlb.mlb.com/v...py_20774065&v=3

#47 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

^ Men, I'm still amazed at John Williams' energy. He looks like he's having fun and healthy!!!!

#48 p0llux

p0llux

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

lol @ tuba and trombone mistakes. Ya, it's good to see JW healthy and well.

#49 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

I hope he will be like Betty White, still going strong at 90.

#50 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8694 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

I really wonder how Williams is able to do it. Conduct with such energy and vigour, and compose such unbelievable works at this age. Does the man work out or something? Whats your secret old man?!

#51 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18105 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Thank you for posting the videos Faleel and Snowster! :) The piece sounds quite grand and Maestro himself looks full of determination and vigour while conducting. He truly does not look 80 years old.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#52 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

The fanfare is awesome. Classic John Williams. I like how the announcer borrowed some of the script from when he announced JW before he conducted his arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#53 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26426 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

I hope we get a downloadable version of the pre-recorded fanfare with no crowd noises

#54 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3884 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I really wonder how Williams is able to do it. Conduct with such energy and vigour, and compose such unbelievable works at this age. Does the man work out or something? Whats your secret old man?!

I remember reading quite recently that he takes hour-long walks in the park every day (when he has the chance) to stay fit.

Great theme, by the way....wish it were available in a bettersounding recording!

#55 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

You gotta love the boom-tzzzzz!

#56 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3884 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think I'm beginning to understand what people mean by that now.

#57 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I think I'm beginning to understand what people mean by that now.

0:02-0:03.

#58 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3884 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, if people had just said 'a timpani hit followed by a cymbal crash', I would have understood it a long time ago. :)

#59 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3829 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Really nice piece. It's always amazing to see how much fun JW puts in writing these little pieces. The workout for the brass section is impressive as usual!

#60 Miguel Andrade

Miguel Andrade

John Williams know it all

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Great to hear a new performance of Williams' arrangement of the National Anthem.
And Fanfare for Fenway is, as mentioned by someone above, classic Williams, with some nods to past brass fanfares (which were written with the BSO/BPO brass in mind) and an obvious baseball feel to it.
Miguel Andrade
[url="http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html"]http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html[/url]
e-mail: miguel.jw@gmail.com
----------------------
"I owe a tremendous debt of gratitute do John Williams. Without his music, Superman's powers are greatly deminished. Believe me, if you try to fly without that theme, you go nowhere... one step, two steps and... down!" -- Christopher Reeve, May 1993
"John Williams will go down as one of the greatest composers." -- Leonard Slatkin, american conductor
"Ah yes, the Olympics. The quadrennial event where composer John Williams collects a hefty royalty check from NBC."
"Music is not a luxury but a necessity" - Robert Shaw
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein

#61 KingPin

KingPin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

This is a brand new piece that had never been performed before. None of us have ever seen the sheet music before or heard previous recordings. The piece sounded just fine. How could you possibly know that they made mistakes?

#62 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3250 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

They did crack notes. But who cares? They're human and it was live.

#63 JamieC

JamieC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi gang

I may be late to the party (not unusual in my life) but I came across this intvw. with JW at the bottom of the page covering F3: http://filmmusicrepo...are-for-fenway/

Dream well!

James
I work as a writer. War Films, out as an ebook now from Virgin Books ! Oct. 2013: The Films of Pixar Animation Studio (Kamera Books) 2014: Bodies in Heroic Motion: The Cinema of James Cameron (Columbia University Press/Wallflower Press)

#64 p0llux

p0llux

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is a brand new piece that had never been performed before. None of us have ever seen the sheet music before or heard previous recordings. The piece sounded just fine. How could you possibly know that they made mistakes?

because it was obvious? especially the tuba when he came in, but who cares? it was a good piece.

Hi gang

I may be late to the party (not unusual in my life) but I came across this intvw. with JW at the bottom of the page covering F3: http://filmmusicrepo...are-for-fenway/

Dream well!

James

That interviewer is wacky as hell in the video, lmao!

#65 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7939 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

here is a stereo version of the fanfare:

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#66 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18105 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

:lol: Indeed. First he looks like he is about to jump through the roof from excitement. Plus he acts so wacky even JW seems to find it funny. But it is a pretty good interview with some information that was new to me. Williams seems quite lively and in great mood in this one.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#67 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5064 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Oh I loved this Fanfare!

Maybe it's not by Williams, probably by Angela Morley.

And I liked the close-up of the 3. horn part on that video, that is what I usually do.

#68 Miguel Andrade

Miguel Andrade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

:lol: Indeed. First he looks like he is about to jump through the roof from excitement. Plus he acts so wacky even JW seems to find it funny. But it is a pretty good interview with some information that was new to me. Williams seems quite lively and in great mood in this one.

I just loved Williams final remarks. Very true and very touching.
Miguel Andrade
[url="http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html"]http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/index.html[/url]
----------------------
"I owe a tremendous debt of gratitute do John Williams. Without his music, Superman's powers are greatly deminished. Believe me, if you try to fly without that theme, you go nowhere... one step, two steps and... down!" -- Christopher Reeve, May 1993
"John Williams will go down as one of the greatest composers." -- Leonard Slatkin, american conductor
"Ah yes, the Olympics. The quadrennial event where composer John Williams collects a hefty royalty check from NBC."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein

#69 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

JW: What the fuck is wrong with this guy?

Interesting to hear JW's first experience in writing music with the trumpet transcriptions.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#70 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6694 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Definitely a better interview than recent ones where JW comes off like tired old guy who watches baseball.

#71 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

At least that interview had some new questions. This one was just more of the same stuff we've been hearing for the last few decades.

#72 Thor

Thor

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3884 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

Ha, ha....wackiest interviewer ever! :)

#73 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Apparently the Fanfare for Fenway was named by Rachel Maddow the "best new thing" on her show.

#74 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18105 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I just loved Williams final remarks. Very true and very touching.

Indeed. It was a lovely piece of wisdom from the Maestro.

#75 KingPin

KingPin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

because it was obvious? especially the tuba when he came in, but who cares? it was a good piece.

Ah, I hear it now. I had to turn my laptop volume all the way up to hear it though. :P

#76 MarkRSmith

MarkRSmith

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I just noticed on the web page for the Bass Trombinist for the Boston Symphony (the link has a few pictures)

http://www.yeodoug.c.../whats_new.html
March 31, 2012 - COMMENTARY

One of the great joys of my career as a member of the Boston Symphony has been the opportunity to work with composer/conductor John Williams. John needs no introduction - his name is synonymous with the genre we call film music, with his soundtracks to Star Wars, ET, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and a host of other films being well known to millions of people. John was conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra when I joined the Boston Symphony and we have enjoyed a very nice friendship over the years. In addition to making many CD recordings with him and the Boston Pops, I've been soloist with the Pops with John on the podium on two occasions - in performances of his Tuba Concerto (I was the first bass trombonist to play the piece on bass trombone) and Simon Proctor's Serpent Concerto. In addition we have played concerts together that are too numerous to count, as well as recording the soundtracks to two of his movie scores, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.
Last week my wife and I were on vacation in Arizona, continuing our preparations to move there in a few weeks. As is sometimes the case, a last minute recording session with members of the Boston Pops materialized and while my participation was not mandatory (since I was officially on vacation from the Boston Symphony), I could not miss the opportunity to record a new fanfare by John Williams. So I took a "red eye" flight overnight from Phoenix to Boston, played the recording session in Symphony Hall, and turned around and flew back to Arizona - all in 24 hours.

But it was worth it. 2012 is the 100th anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park in Boston, home of the Boston Red Sox. John Williams had been asked to compose a fanfare to celebrate the occasion and he composed it for members of the Boston Pops Orchestra brass and percussion section. I've recorded several of John's other fanfares over the years, his Liberty Fanfare and several of his Olympics fanfares including, The Olympic Spirit and Summon the Heroes. This new fanfare was composed for six trumpets, six horns, five trombones, two tubas, percussion and timpani. The recording session was held at Symphony Hall in Boston.

It is such a thrill to be a part of a recording session such as this. No concerts or rehearsals preceeded it - we just sat down and started playing for the microphones. The Fanfare for Fenway has that John Williams "signature sound" and in a few hours, we had recorded the full fanfare, a 30 second version and a short "loop" of the piece that can be used on television. The trombone section consisted of BSO players Toby Oft and Steve Lange, and Karna Millen (US Coast Guard Academy Band) and Adam Rainey (bass trombone student at New England Conservatory of Music).

The photos accompanying this entry tell a little of the story - John Williams and me together during a break in the recording session, and my view of the podium through recording equipment. Perhaps you'll hear the Fanfare for Fenway sometime during the 2012 Major League baseball season. I know that when I hear it, I'll be smiling, remembering a nice moment in time.

#77 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18105 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Nice catch MarkRSmith! :)

Let's hope Williams finds time to release the fanfare along with some of his previously unreleased fanfares and concert pieces.

#78 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3829 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

I'd love to hear the Bass Trombone version of the Tuba Concerto in the orchestral setting (there is already a wonderful recording with the reduction for bass trombone & piano).

#79 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for sharing! I can't imagine why they would record the fanfare and not release it, although maybe they'll sit on the recording for years like Sony did with the "Variation on Happy Birthday."

#80 Miguel Andrade

Miguel Andrade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Maybe the recording wasn't made with commercial release in mind, but for use on television or radio broadcasts.
Miguel Andrade
----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users