Photo

What are the differences between Raiders March and Tintin's Heroic Theme in terms of what they express?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer? (I am sure RM will win, but who knows? Maybe some of you prefer this "new and fresh" heroic theme by JW!) (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Raiders March (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

2. Tintin's Heroic Theme (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

If you take the most heroic renditions of Raiders March ("Flight from Peru," "Desert Chase," "The German Sub") and the most heroic renditions of Tintin's Heroic Theme ("Escape from Karaboudjan" and "Pursuit of the Falcon"), that is. Do you think these 2 themes are interchangeable? Why? Why not?

In my opinion, the Raiders March is overly optimistic and cheerful, very heroic but slightly clumsy and funny too; it perfectly expresses the sense of Indy "being in over his head (yet again!)."

Tintin's Theme on the other hand strikes me as less optimistic, less cheerful, not clumsy or funny whatsoever; it's still very heroic but somewhat in a bookish, studious, and more detached way (I am not sure whether you'd agree here, but tell me what you think!). In a way, it's more "balanced" than Raiders March, i.e. there isn't as much going on here, emotionally (although the fact that Tintin's theme is considerably shorter may have something to do with it, of course).

Well? What's your opinion?

#2 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15679 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Tintin's theme, of course ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EK_tFz9ug

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#3 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

IMO Tintin's theme is one of the most interesting and catchy themes JW wrote in a long time!

#4 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17076 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Tintin actually doesn't have just one but 3 different thematic identities in the film. There is the main heroic theme, the secondary sleuthing/action theme and finally the small quirky motif for solving riddles. Williams treats each of these areas with its own thematic idea and I would love to hear him combine all three into a concert suite. :)

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#5 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've been underestimating this theme for some time... Sure, there's Haddock's Theme, the Dueling theme, Snowy's theme, etc. which are all more complex than Tintin's theme, but Tintin's theme is quite wonderful to listen to!

The closest thing to Raiders March and Luke Skywalker's theme JW wrote, maybe. Well, in terms of a heroic theme played principally by a trumpet (or a French horn), that is.

#6 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

When I hear Tintin's theme I think of Allo Allo.

When I hear the Raiders March I think of Harrison Ford being punched.

Indy wins!
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#7 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Tintin actually doesn't have just one but 3 different thematic identities in the film. There is the main heroic theme, the secondary sleuthing/action theme and finally the small quirky motif for solving riddles. Williams treats each of these areas with its own thematic idea and I would love to hear him combine all three into a concert suite. :)

Yes. Definitely!

And if JW does Tintin 2 as well, maybe we'll get more themes associated with Tintin and his escapades! :)

Tintin's theme, of course ;)

Just so we all know what we're talking about... ;)

#8 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Oh that one. That reminds of Jake Lloyd.

Indy still wins!
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#9 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10186 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Tintin's theme is an enormous missed opportunity. Quite possibly Williams' least memorable theme for a titular character. It's grown on me a bit, but mostly only in the statements where the orchestration is interesting enough to overcome the melodic mediocrity. The Raiders March, on the other hand, is brilliant and memorable, and it wins easily.

#10 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Tintin's theme is an enormous missed opportunity. Quite possibly Williams' least memorable theme for a titular character. It's grown on me a bit, but mostly only in the statements where the orchestration is interesting enough to overcome the melodic mediocrity. The Raiders March, on the other hand, is brilliant and memorable, and it wins easily.

Let me guess. Tintin's theme rubs you the wrong way! :P

But I gotta say, I disagree with you. Tintin's theme is perfect for the character. And as to orchestration... an interesting orchestration is needed for Raiders March too, duh. Still, yeah, a concert version on the OS album would have been nice... although, of course, we might still be getting that!

#11 alicebrallice

alicebrallice

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'll have to agree with datameister. sadly, tintin's theme didn't do much for me at all. same thing with the whole score.

ok... sir francis and the unicorn is pretty fantastic, I must admit.

#12 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'll have to agree with datameister. sadly, tintin's theme didn't do much for me at all. same thing with the whole score.

ok... sir francis and the unicorn is pretty fantastic, I must admit.

Well to each their own. ;)

But for me, it's fast becoming one of my all-time favorite scores, on the same level as HP 1-3.

#13 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17076 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I went with the Raiders March. It is more thoroughly developed I feel even though I like the Tintin theme very much.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#14 ShowUStheHOOK

ShowUStheHOOK

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Oh that one. That reminds of Jake Lloyd.

Indy still wins!

:lol2: :yes: :yes:

#15 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I think Tintin's themes are fantastic but they're really not in the spotlight of this score like Indy's theme was in Raiders. I think in Tintin the main thing would be the Unicorn's theme.

(What I like about Tintin's theme in its most complete version is how it goes down and jumps, jumps again further, and then falls and manages to jump and finally "fly". In my humble opinion it's a quite expressive moment)

#16 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I think Tintin's themes are fantastic but they're really not in the spotlight of this score like Indy's theme was in Raiders. I think in Tintin the main thing would be the Unicorn's theme.

Hmmm yes. But surely that's because Tintin's Heroic Theme (and his other 2 themes) aren't played over the end credits, and they didn't get a concert arrangement on the OS album.

And I am thinking that this might have been done by JW on purpose... because Tintin is not supposed to be the center of attention, like Indy. He is just a blank figure without much character who gets drawn into one adventure after another.

I think Tintin's theme gets used quite a LOT throughout the movie, though . . . whenever Tintin does even something slightly heroic, or just when he is the focus of attention.

#17 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15679 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

No, it's Snowy's theme, you idiot! Disappointing, Shaky Chaac, quite disappointing...

#18 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

But anyway, I think we all agree, the themes in Tintin are quite solid.

Compare, for example, the themes in Tintin with the (new) themes from KotCS! Mutt's Theme, the Crystal theme, Irina's theme, hell even the theme of the Russians...

No comparison, if you ask me!

#19 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Irina's theme and the theme for the Russians are fantastic in my opinion.

#20 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15679 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

And I prefer Mutt's theme to that travesty of a theme for Snowy.

#21 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Irina's theme and the theme for the Russians are fantastic in my opinion.

Well, they are not bad by any means, but I think any theme from Tintin is better (more memorable, effective, well-constructed) than these 2.

#22 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

The themes in KOTCS are wonderful, it's the underscore that's underwhelming.

#23 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

The themes in KOTCS are wonderful,,,

As opposed to the themes in Tintin?

#24 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yes. I mean, the Tintin themes are good, but I don't think they're half as good as KOTCS. Then again, I know I'm in a minority with Call of the Crystal.

#25 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yes. I mean, the Tintin themes are good, but I don't think they're half as good as KOTCS. Then again, I know I'm in a minority with Call of the Crystal.

:blink:

Well, if you really think so, I won't argue with you. To be honest, personally I still can't get into the Crystal theme...

But for me (and for most of us, I am sure) the score to Tintin is far superior to the score to KotCS... and I am not talking about just the main themes, of course.

#26 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I like them all, except Mutt's music, which never clicked with me. The underscore of KOTCS is a bit boring at times with moments on coolnes here and there (mushroom cloud!!). Tintin is a score with a quite exciting and colourful underscore all throurough, which is I think thereason why some prefer it to KOTCS.

#27 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Jeez, you sound like I've personally insulted you.

Is Tintin as a score better than KOTCS? As a whole it probably is. But theme by theme, I'd personally pick KOTCS any time. Both have the fact that I get bored listening to them relatively easily in common.

And WAR HORSE tramples over both with a big neigh.

#28 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I like them all, except Mutt's music, which never clicked with me. The underscore of KOTCS is a bit boring at times with moments on coolnes here and there (mushroom cloud!!). Tintin is a score with a quite exciting and colourful underscore all throurough, which is I think thereason why some prefer it to KOTCS.

Well, even if you put Tintin's theme aside for a moment, consider the Scroll theme, Sir Red Rackham's theme, Snowy's Theme, Haddock's theme, the villain's theme, the Unicorn theme...

Man! These are maybe some of the best (and most original) themes JW wrote, IMO!

Jeez, you sound like I've personally insulted you.

Why in the world would you get that impression? I was just a little surprised, that's all...

Is Tintin as a score better than KOTCS? As a whole it probably is. But theme by theme, I'd personally pick KOTCS any time. Both have the fact that I get bored listening to them relatively easily in common.

Like I said, I won't argue with you if you really think so. ;)

#29 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15679 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Sir Red Redham's theme

ROTFLMAO

#30 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sir Red Redham's theme

ROTFLMAO

Corrected!

#31 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I prefer Sir Red Redham's theme to the Unicron theme.

#32 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I prefer Sir Red Redham's theme to the Unicron theme.

ROTFLMAO

Yeah, that's what I thought all along!

#33 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17572 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme, so even if the theme itself doesn't get a lot of playing time in the film, its variations do.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#34 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme,

Haddock's Theme, the Scroll Theme, the villain's theme, Sir Red Rackham's Theme, the Dueling Theme, Snowy's theme are based on Tintin's Theme?

so even if the theme itself doesn't get a lot of playing time in the film

But it does!

Any more, and people would be comparing it to Hedwig's theme in PS!

#35 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5668 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

I went with the Raiders March. It is more thoroughly developed I feel even though I like the Tintin theme very much.

Development is overrated. When you strip both themes to their essence, it becomes clear that Tintin is the product of a subtler and more mature compositional voice.

#36 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67119 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Indeed, in comparison the Raiders March comes of as gaudy, obvious and unsophisticated. Of course JW can hardly be blamed for this, since this was much earlier in his career, when he had not yet established his true style. It wasn't until scores like Nixon, Rosewood and in particular Sleepers that the modern, immaculate style of John Williams would seen the light of day.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#37 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4996 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Tintin

Wait until it will have many different takes in the fortcoming Tintin sequels, after
raising to it to the full glory via many modulation. JW at his best.

Now you are used to all JW's three Indy scores. You will wait and see.

#38 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67119 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Four.

qyjpO0k_zpsfc8aeaaf.png

#39 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4996 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Three.

#40 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20467 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've never heard this Tintin music, so I voted Raiders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users