Photo

Should movies credit session musicians too?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

I'm with you, gkgyver. Personally, I think they should post genealogies in the end credits as well.

#42 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Honestly, people ...

you are complaining about endless waves of text AFTER the feature film, do you have to watch it? No.
Does it matter that you have to endure 5 additional seconds until you can see a scene after the credits, which happens in very few movies anyway?

Please.

:lol:

:thumbup:

#43 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21019 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Long gone are the days of putting all the credits before the movie actually begins, under a lengthy and gorgeous overture, so that when "The End" hits the screen, it actually is.

The glorious epics of the 50s and 60s and before did this. Even Jaws had really short End Credits. I kinda miss this.

On the other hand, when the movie's over, and as long as I know there is no post-credits scene (usually limited to nerd movies), my date is probably hungry and wants to get rolling.

#44 Richard

Richard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5561 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

But are you watching them, for fuck's sake?

Yes, YES, YES!!! No matter how bad the film is, I always watch the end titles, usually for the music. "John Carter" had great end title music.

Anyway, some end titles can introduce some completely original music, so, often, they ARE worth sitting through.

#45 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yes, YES, YES!!!

Dude, you sound like Meg Ryan in that diner... :P

#46 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yes, YES, YES!!!

I always read Richard's posts with Meg Ryan's voice in my head.

#47 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes, YES, YES!!!

I always read Richard's posts with Meg Ryan's voice in my head.

Still a classic, still makes me laugh!

#48 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

Why not credit all the extra's?

Now you're pushing it, son.

#49 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25343 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

after the 10 billion people named at the end of the avenger's credits for the not so remarkable special effects there is no way in hell that musicians need to be listed. OMG you could graduate, find a girl friend, get her pregnant, have the baby, raise it, put the kid through high school, wait for it to knock up some girl and have a grandbaby and then the credits might be over.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#50 Brian99_1

Brian99_1

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Why not they credit the guy making sandwiches!

#51 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7886 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Ever watch "In A Minute"? on the Revenge of the Sith Bonus Features disc?

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#52 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25343 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

the caterer's do get credit.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#53 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16004 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. They really credit people less crucial to production. And you can actually hear musician's work while watcing film. That's a good point.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#54 Alexander

Alexander

Air conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

lol :)

#55 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32597 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

the caterer's do get credit.

It's usually the most expensive part of the budget. I see Tony's Food Service used a lot. :P
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#56 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21019 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well, the score to a single movie may require a number of different sessions to actually record. Maybe each session features a slightly different set of musicians -- like the principal trumpet gets the flu after the first session and takes out the timpani player too after a bad sneeze, and both are replaced by the backups for a subsequent session. If nobody keeps track of who the backup was, they won't be credited. Or if the harp player is featured in only one cue, a segment of music that is dialed out of the final film, she gets credit when she shouldn't. If you name someone who was cut, someone will complain. If you drop someone, they will complain. It's just another paperwork project to keep tabs on.

And if they are going to credit the musicians on the score, shouldn't they also name every musician who performed on every single piece of vocal/pop music (the source cues) used throughout the film? Think about a movie like Pulp Fiction, Armageddon, and Forrest Gump, which feature a tremendous number of songs in addition to or in place of musical score. Or American Graffiti, which was scored soup to nuts with 1950s rock'n'roll. Let's list every single musician that performed each of those songs.

Or all the musicians that were featured in non-vocal classical and instrumental source cues, like the members of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra featured in Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries used in The Blues Brothers.

And then remember who gave all of them sandwiches.

The credits would be about as long as Joey claims.

#57 pixie_twinkle

pixie_twinkle

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5044 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hey, let's not get too crazy now. You keep heading down this road, sooner or later you'll have to start crediting the Angela Morleys of the world, and we know how horrible it would be to impugn the absolute nature of Williams' artistic autonomy.

:rimshot:
"Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

#58 Northwest21

Northwest21

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

But are you watching them, for fuck's sake?

Yes, YES, YES!!! No matter how bad the film is, I always watch the end titles, usually for the music. "John Carter" had great end title music.

Anyway, some end titles can introduce some completely original music, so, often, they ARE worth sitting through.

I left during the John Carter credits, which I normally don't do, because the music was exhausting. The recording quality of that entire score is amateur at best, which is par for the course on Giacchino scores. Cars 2 may be one of the worst offenders of the last several decades.

Credits are too long these days, don't need to make it worse with listing the musicians.

#59 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17266 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Credits are too long these days, don't need to make it worse with listing the musicians.

I still don't get why people are complaining about end credits being too long if they don't even watch them.

If it is to see a post-credits scene, just go on youtube. They're all there.

So, stop whining. It's my job to do that.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#60 Northwest21

Northwest21

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

You'll know when I'm complaining and whining, this doesn't qualify as that. And I do normally watch the credits out of interest mostly for where the film was shot. The music is a bonus for me, well, some of the time, guess it depends on the score/composer.

#61 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

The credits for Source Code and Lockout were pretty short, even without crediting the session musicians. Your argument would only make sense if the credits were as long as Avatar and John Carter's.

#62 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9699 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

It would barely take a few seconds to credit a orchestra. The screen space in the credits tends to go badly used.

#63 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32597 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Well if the credits filled up the whole screen, it'd be a bitch to read. Credits are on average 6 minutes long.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#64 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Well if the credits filled up the whole screen, it'd be a bitch to read. Credits are on average 6 minutes long.

That's why Fox decided to do the centered, fill-up-entire-screen method with the credits for Avatar. If they were done like Cameron's Titanic or even Marvel's The Avengers, it would take twice as long with the number of CGI artists from WETA and ILM being credited alone.

#65 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

lol :)

It's longer than the featurette on the screenplay.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#66 Matt C

Matt C

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Moonrise Kingdom has also joined the bandwagon, crediting all the New York session musicians (including the soloists). For a Wes Anderson movie, I was surprised at how sizeable the orchestra was for the film.

And even though I didn't mention it earlier, Fantastic Mr. Fox also credits the performers too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users