Photo

Score: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (John Williams) - A Complete Score Analysis

Harry Potter Philosophers Stone Sorcerers Stone Analysis John Williams Complete Score Chris Columbus

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34445 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Tic, toc, tic, toc...

LOLOLOL ROTFLMAO

Dude, you've been on fire lately. Never leave us

Posted Image

zNlRTkr.jpg

#42 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

He sure has. And he has been sweeping the awards as well. Several gold stars in a row and Incanus' Golden Biscotti of Comedy. Who knows what he'll end up with by the end of the year. When I first saw one of his jokes I thought to myself: This kid will do great things, great but terrible.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#43 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8037 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hehe. This is BloodBoal's year folks! Howard Shore for the Oscar? John Williams? Bah! Forgot that! I'm rooting for BloodBoal ;)

#44 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Incanus, you expect me to read all of that? You expected well!

#45 Jediking12

Jediking12

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm looking forward to the Chamber of Secrets Score Review

#46 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Me too! In a week!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#47 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8037 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Wow, how time flies by...no doubt Incanus has been hard at work.

#48 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Alas I have been busy with other writing this whole time. The Chamber of Secrets will have to wait a bit. Sorry folks!

But considering that BloodBoal put the timer in this thread without any consultation from me, I think it is perfectly within my rights not have written anything up to this point. Especially since he is not the boss of me as he isn't paying anything. ;)

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#49 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Such a shame. I was planning on giving you $10,000 if you delivered the review on time. I guess I'll use that money to buy me candies.

#50 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Too late for that! Well, not too late, you still got a week, but that seems difficult to achieve...

#52 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Darn!

Oh I have made some revisions, mostly small, correcting typos etc. to the original post in the past months.

#53 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

What? You're making Director's Cut (well, Writer's Cut would be more appropriate) of your reviews, now?

#54 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Well not a writers cut as such but it is easy to correct some small mistakes and it is also tempting. This is the world of internet. It is always on the move Bloodboal, always changing. So I improved my analysis a bit. It is not like I wrote new paragraphs to explain the existence of the older ones.

#55 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34445 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well not a writers cut as such but it is easy to correct some small mistakes and it is also tempting. This is the world of internet. It is always on the move Bloodboal, always changing. So I improved my analysis a bit. It is not like I wrote new paragraphs to explain the existence of the older ones.

:lol:

zNlRTkr.jpg

#56 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

If I may be so bold as to inquire, where has the analysis from the main post disappeared to?

#57 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

It has been taken hostage, and LeBlanc won't give it back until you release your Chamber Of Secrets complete score analysis!

#58 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34445 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I didn't do a thing!

Hmm, if you hit Edit on the main post its all still there. Weird!

I'm leaving for work now, and when I get there I'll figure out why it isn't displaying

zNlRTkr.jpg

#59 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I hope for Inky's sake that he kept the original Word file. If not, well... Shame.

#60 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 34445 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I just said its all still there!

zNlRTkr.jpg

#61 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

You edited your post!

#62 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I just had to go to the Edit where the whole text was hiding and press Save Changes and now the text is all there. Phew! Luckily I do have a back-up file of the text. :)

This major crises has passed. Nothing to see here! Except the analysis of course! Read it!

#63 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I've read so many times, I'm actually sick of it now! I want the Chamber Of Secrets analysis! Everybody wants it!

#64 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Don't get your curls in an uproar! I'll finish my The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey analysis first!

#65 SafeUnderHill

SafeUnderHill

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Don't get your curls in an uproar! I'll finish my The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey analysis first!

Is this review up yet? Can't remember if I've seen it or not. Looking forwards to seeing it though, whether I have or not.
I love hindsight.

BloodBoal "In any case, I like what I'm hearing about Azog. All reviews (even the bad ones) mention him as an awesome villain. Can't wait to see him (although I'm not really happy with the fact that it seems the whole "undead" business was true)."

Early AUJ review "Special attention must be given to the musical score of the film, both for original pieces (such as Misty Mountains, the haunting yet stirring theme for the Dwarves) and incorporation of the themes from Lord of the Rings. The musical cues go a long way to reinforce the connection I mentioned above. While the Misty Mountains theme pervades the film, there are also ties to the Shire, the Ring and even a heroic bit of music that I wont spoil here, but will come as a welcome surprise. "
Once "I wonder what part he's talking about." gkgyver "Probably the eagles." Once "Oh right!"

#66 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Inky hasn't finished it yet. He's been quite lazy recently, but he told me it should be up within a week.

#67 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8037 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

While Incanus is finishing his up, you can always take a look at my own analysis in the meantime :P

http://music-muse.co...y-howard-shore/

#68 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Inky hasn't finished it yet. He's been quite lazy recently, but he told me it should be up within a week.

Thank you BB, always nice to get honest feedback. I will try to finish the Hobbit analysis/review ASAP. Life and work and all that secondary stuff intervened in a most unfortunate way in these past few months.

And in the meanwhile KK's excellent review is a good way to get into the analysis of the musical world of the Hobbit score. :)

#69 SafeUnderHill

SafeUnderHill

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

While Incanus is finishing his up, you can always take a look at my own analysis in the meantime :P
http://music-muse.co...y-howard-shore/

I've seen your one several times :) Its very good, very good indeed. Very useful including the staves with the themes note by note. I saw you updated it a bit at one point, any chance you'll add more when you recognise more themes?
I love hindsight.

BloodBoal "In any case, I like what I'm hearing about Azog. All reviews (even the bad ones) mention him as an awesome villain. Can't wait to see him (although I'm not really happy with the fact that it seems the whole "undead" business was true)."

Early AUJ review "Special attention must be given to the musical score of the film, both for original pieces (such as Misty Mountains, the haunting yet stirring theme for the Dwarves) and incorporation of the themes from Lord of the Rings. The musical cues go a long way to reinforce the connection I mentioned above. While the Misty Mountains theme pervades the film, there are also ties to the Shire, the Ring and even a heroic bit of music that I wont spoil here, but will come as a welcome surprise. "
Once "I wonder what part he's talking about." gkgyver "Probably the eagles." Once "Oh right!"

#70 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

I was curious about something:

Regarding Diagon Alley (2M4); does it segue with the scene in which it portrays?

I was always interested in wanting to see how John Williams' original composition plays out in the film.

#71 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

From what I remember people saying here and there, the cue is longer than the scene in the film, so there was probably some footage that was cut, and that's why they tracked Entry Into The Great Hall into that scene instead (because the original cue didn't fit with the new edit of the scene).

#72 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hmm; interesting. If that is the case, I would be interested to see any additional sequences that made the scene longer.

I would still love to hear how John Williams' original composition plays out in that scene.

#73 dennis

dennis

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

This Score Analysis is really wonderful!

I am trying to watch the film and go step by step with the score analysis.

I have a question: Just after they come back from the zoo and the Uncle says 'There is no such thing as magic' we have a scene where Petunia takes pictures of Dudley asking him to 'Smile'

In my humble opinion, this scene till when Harry goes to pick the post, is not part of 1M3 and I doubt exists in any track.
Is it possible to double check?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

#74 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

That scene you are referring to is a deleted scene later included in the extended edition.

The scene was not part of the original cut that John Williams scored. Therefore, the scene you refer to uses tracked music from another cue.

#75 Incanus

Incanus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17509 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

That scene you are referring to is a deleted scene later included in the extended edition.

The scene was not part of the original cut that John Williams scored. Therefore, the scene you refer to uses tracked music from another cue.

Exactly. As far as I know Williams scored none of the deleted scenes.

#76 dennis

dennis

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Exactly. As far as I know Williams scored none of the deleted scenes.

Thanks a lot guys! That was very helpful!

#77 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

The only exception is in the extended sequence of The Flying Car in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. That deleted section was part of the original cut that John Williams scored.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Harry Potter, Philosophers Stone, Sorcerers Stone, Analysis, John Williams, Complete Score, Chris Columbus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users