Alexandre Desplat - Rise of the Guardians (Varese OST Nov 13)

Jay

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

RISE OF THE GUARDIANS

Music Composed by

Alexandre Desplat

(The King’s Speech, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows)

Featuring “Still Dream”

Performed by Renée Fleming

RISE OF THE GUARDIANS is an epic adventure that tells the story of a group of heroes (voiced by Alex Baldwin, Hugh Laurie and Chris Pine) — each with extraordinary abilities. When an evil spirit known as Pitch (Jude Law) lays down the gauntlet to take over the world, the immortal Guardians must join forces for the first time to protect the hopes, beliefs, and imagination of children all over the world.

Alexandre Desplat creates a wondrous and fantastical score brimming with magic and adventure.

DreamWorks Animation will open RISE OF THE GUARDIANS nationwide on November 21.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 175 2

Release Date: 11/13/12

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1076/Rise-Of-The-Guardians/Detail

Here's what orchestrator Conrad Pope said about the score on his Facebook page a couple of weeks ago:

Off to AIR Lyndhurst for the last two sessions of percussion overdubs for Alexandre Desplat's score to "Rise of the Guardians". It's been an extraordinary 10 days recording with the incomparable LSO AD's emotional,melodic epic score. The music harkens back to the animation scores I worked on some 20 years ago: melodic, harmonic, witty and moving. I can't recall a score that I've worked on( recently at least) where all involved-from musicians to filmmakers-were so thrilled and moved. Kudos to the creative team at Dreamworks for unleashing a new "musical Guardian" in Alexandre Desplat! Grateful to have been a part.

If you have spare time, read then the exchange between Pope and Hollywood main vocal contractor Sally Stevens talking about the pains and struggles of the current situation for LA session players. Interesting stuff.

His Potter scores are good, despite what the majority here thinks.

I look forward to Rise of the Guardians myself...

They are good, but they need some time to really get into. I especially think the second one is good throughout and very well suited for the movie. the first one had some really powerful tracks such as Destroying the Locket, My Love Is Always There and The Elder Wand, but the main theme wasnt very strong.

True, Desplat's theme wasn't that memorable, but everything else in Part 1 was good. The score caught my attention during my first viewing of the film, and I loved it. Part 2 was good, but there was something about it that didn't connect with me the way Part 1 did.

Lets see if he can finally impress me with a fantasy film. After HP 7-8 I doubt it but...

Why was Desplat's Potter bad or why weren't you impressed? Do you even like this composer?

My favorite Desplat score is The Ghost Writer. I keep meaning to check out Tree of Life and Golden Compass. Benjamin Button I like too but not all the way through, gets dull.

To be fair, there are some quite enchanting moments in both, but a lot of filler and harmonically less interesting material.

Compare it with GOLDEN COMPASS to hear what he can do with a bit of more musical leeway.

To be fair, there are some quite enchanting moments in both, but a lot of filler and harmonically less interesting material.

Compare it with GOLDEN COMPASS to hear what he can do with a bit of more musical leeway.

Funny, I thought Golden Compass wasn't his stronger effort. He took more artistic freedom for sure, which made it more personal, but it didn;t really work for me in the end, although I thought the JP like 'wonder' theme in the closing act was a very nice move.

It seems Guardians might bring us back to the symphonic sound we all love.

Here's what orchestrator Conrad Pope said about the score on his Facebook page a couple of weeks ago:

Off to AIR Lyndhurst for the last two sessions of percussion overdubs for Alexandre Desplat's score to "Rise of the Guardians". It's been an extraordinary 10 days recording with the incomparable LSO AD's emotional,melodic epic score. The music harkens back to the animation scores I worked on some 20 years ago: melodic, harmonic, witty and moving. I can't recall a score that I've worked on( recently at least) where all involved-from musicians to filmmakers-were so thrilled and moved. Kudos to the creative team at Dreamworks for unleashing a new "musical Guardian" in Alexandre Desplat! Grateful to have been a part.

Is that the same Conrad Pope who said he thinks Tintin's main theme will become a classic?

You mean Hollywood bombast, excessive embellishments and cluttered action cues?

YES!!!!!!! :woop:

You mean Hollywood bombast, excessive embellishments and cluttered action cues?

Obviously, when he said "we all love", he didn't include you in the "we".

The Golden Compass isn't fantasy?

It is. And its a lot better than his Potter scores, which had its moments but were ultimately rather dull.

From a FSM poster re Desplat's RISE OF THE GUARDIANS.

Conrad Pope says: "The song (Still Dream) is wonderful-- the entire score is Desplat "unchained", I feel. Alexandre is a wonderful collaborator, but with Guardians, he was working with film makers who wanted to follow his lead it seemed. The results are magnificent. Showing AD to be technically to be the equal of many of the finest in Hollywood. The score is what both he and the film makers wanted to hear."

Watching and waiting.

The Desplat score sounds more and more promising by the comment. Let's hope it isn't typical hyperbole.

Well, I guess I'll give it a listen when it comes out

But some are also gushing about his Potter scores and I really don't like them

I'm still struggling to acquire a consistent taste for his music. Waiting at least for something to fill in this blank:

The Claim : Michael Nyman :: ________ : Alexandre Desplat

I like some of it.

I think Benjamen Button is love lovely from start to finish.

Then you have his fantasy scores that leave me cold (Golden Compass and Potter)

And then a bunch of this other ones that sound all the same (Julia and Julia, Coco avant Chanel and a bunch of others) with once and a while a good track (Prologue from Birth)

The problem is, with the exception of Shore and maybe Giacchino on a really good day, if you want consistently well-written, intelligently orchestrated orchestral film music, Desplat is pretty much the only game in (Tinsel)town right now. Williams is all but retired, Horner's got baggage, Young is pigeon-holed, and everyone else capable doesn't get the work.

It's a real bummer: I got into film music to sate my appetite for hero worship, but no one's stepping up to the plate right now.

Desplat has stayed a european composer in his sensibility, even for schmaltzy oscar bait like EXTREMELY LOUD, so i guess it seems harder to be engaged by his more detached stuff.

I don't get all of his new scores, because he writes too much (that applied to Goldsmith and Morricone as well, mind you) but on the whole, he divides his attention to interesting and varied projects, not all of which lend itself to listening away from the film. That said, my biggest concern for RotG is that it might get a bit too frenetical (á la the not very focused action writing of the POTTER series), an accusation that Williams has received, too, for his recent writing.

riseoftheguardians1.jpg

1. Still Dream Performed by Renée Fleming (3:12)

2. Calling The Guardians (2:06)

3. Alone In The World (2:04)

4. Fanfare Of The Elves (:53)

5. Wind Take Me Home! (1:28)

6. Dreamsand (2:03)

7. Pitch On The Globe (:57)

8. The Moon (1:32)

9. Snowballs (1:31)

10. Busy Workshop (1:33)

11. Sleigh Launch (1:45)

12. Nightmares Attack (7:17)

13. Tooth Collection (2:22)

14. Jamie’s Bedroom (2:31)

15. Jack & Sandman (4:18)

16. Memorial (1:21)

17. Guardians Regroup (:58)

18. Easter (3:39)

19. Jack Betrays (3:20)

20. Kids Stop Believing (2:35)

21. Jack’s Memories (2:24)

22. Pitch At North Pole (2:00)

23. Jamie Believes (3:01)

24. Jack’s Center (4:52)

25. Sandman Returns (2:36)

26. Dreamsand Miracles (2:18)

27. Oath Of The Guardians (3:11)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/10/19/rise-of-the-guardians-soundtrack-details/

Chronological order:

3. Alone In The World (2:04)

7. Pitch On The Globe (:57)

2. Calling The Guardians (2:06)

8. The Moon (1:32)

5. Wind Take Me Home! (1:28)

9. Snowballs (1:31)

6. Dreamsand (2:03)

4. Fanfare Of The Elves (:53)

10. Busy Workshop (1:33)

11. Sleigh Launch (1:45)

12. Nightmares Attack (7:17)