Photo

John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

• Please log in to reply
757 replies to this topic

#41 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7766 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Well Yates did say something along the lines of how he would like it if Williams returned for the last film but not sure ow true that was.

It's nice to hear Williams express interest in the franchise. But like Mark, I believe this is HP all over again.

nb6gs9.jpg

#42 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20169 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

And I want to apologize to karlem for getting this thread out of hand.

I just feel we're going to revisit the HP he is or he isn't silliness.

When it was obvious to the sane he wasn't.

The way I heard it, they did actually want him to do it, but he didn't want to travel to Europe

#43 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32014 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Yates and the producers said they wanted Williams to return, and he said he would if they asked, or something like that. Then in the liner notes for Part 2 Yates said he knew he wanted Desplat for Part 2 during the Part 1 sessions.

So everyone lies. Williams won't score Episode VII, get over it and move on.

"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#44 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

There's a third alternative.  I am JJ Abrams. 

Your movies suck!!!

You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#45 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

And I want to apologize to karlem for getting this thread out of hand.

I just feel we're going to revisit the HP he is or he isn't silliness.

When it was obvious to the sane he wasn't.

No apologizes necessary as long as it stays civil which it has been.  I think I am guilty of wishful thinking and I think HP is a good example of what might actually happen.  Based on what I've read (and I'm no expert on this), it could be Disney intends to have multiple directors over time so it would be something like how John Barry cast a very large shadow over the James Bond franchise and though there are multiple directors and composers (and even Bonds), there is an inevitable tip of the hat to the style Barry established in that franchise so it could be something similar with JW in Star Wars.  Similarly, my understanding is that the James Bond franchise has always had at least a passing involvement from a single  family that maintained control in some aspects though delegated to various directors and creative teams over the years to bring their touch on the franchise (so Lucas in the case of Star Wars).  John Barry got tired of the Bond franchise but it seems that JW at least indicated vocally some interest in being involved in some capacity.  I hope that means direct involvement but it might just mean a courtesy screening of the film.

#46 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9317 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:

It completely rubs me the wrong way.

The entire focus of the new Star Wars trilogy is to transition the franchise into the hands of a new generation.  Even George "IT'S MINE, ALL MINE, I CAN DO WITH IT WHAT I CHOOSE" Lucas has stepped back and is handing it off to relatively younger people. 

And here is John going "OH I CAN'T WAIT TO WORK ON IT!" 

It just doesn't strike me as particularly classy, on several levels.  Chiefly, he's not elegantly handing off a torch to future generations, he's not saying "I've done my bit for king and country, I'll let rising talent take a shot at it."  He's basically muscling his way into screwing over anyone that may or may not be selected to score the film after him.  Because now we know the old lovely man wanted to score it, and some youngin stole it from him. 

Second the assumption that he will be involved comes off as arrogant.  Yes, you are Star Wars John, but being a little modest about it would be so much more likable.  Feign it, say "I'd love to work on it if I am invited to do so, but I'm also interested in hearing what fresh talent could do with Star Wars." 

All in all It's a bit cringe worthy.  It's like that stalker ex that just doesn't know when to quit. Everyone else is looking forward to the fresh direction, and he's still like "I'm gonna score it!" 

You greedy son of a gun Johnny.  I can see how you cleverly manipulated your way into screwing over Patrick Doyle with the whole Stepmom fiasco. 

#47 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Banned for life.

You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#48 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28170 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Heh heh, get over yourself!

John was humouring his audience, he's entitled to say what the fuck he wants, and especially at his age. Lacking in class you say? Lol, do you always read sensational meaning into everything people say, and even when it may have been issued offhand? Do you always analyse everything to be muttered through a person's lips to within an inch of its life?

Heh heh, "classy", he said...
Posted Image

#49 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9317 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

This is the imagery that came to mind when I first read this thread:

#50 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:

It completely rubs me the wrong way.

The entire focus of the new Star Wars trilogy is to transition the franchise into the hands of a new generation.  Even George "IT'S MINE, ALL MINE, I CAN DO WITH IT WHAT I CHOOSE" Lucas has stepped back and is handing it off to relatively younger people. 

And here is John going "OH I CAN'T WAIT TO WORK ON IT!" 

It just doesn't strike me as particularly classy, on several levels.  Chiefly, he's not elegantly handing off a torch to future generations, he's not saying "I've done my bit for king and country, I'll let rising talent take a shot at it."  He's basically muscling his way into screwing over anyone that may or may not be selected to score the film after him.  Because now we know the old lovely man wanted to score it, and some youngin stole it from him. 

Second the assumption that he will be involved comes off as arrogant.  Yes, you are Star Wars John, but being a little modest about it would be so much more likable.  Feign it, say "I'd love to work on it if I am invited to do so." 

All in all It's a bit cringe worthy.  It's like that stalker ex that just doesn't know when to quit. Everyone else is looking forward to the fresh direction, and he's still like "I'm gonna score it!" 

You greedy son of a gun Johnny.  I can see how you cleverly manipulated your way into screwing over Patrick Doyle with the whole Stepmom fiasco. 

Let me respond by saying if this is your characterization from the quote I had from him, I misrepresented it because that is not at all the case.  If anything, JW is a class act.  He's shown very, very many times how willing he is to let it go and have others do there take on it and each time he's been classy.  When young people make mistakes in their interpretations of his works, he could say: "do NOT touch my stuff" and I've heard people say this about their works in the film industry but he's always been very kind and generous and give people the benefit of the doubt. 

#51 Sharky

Sharky

A Part-Time Zimmer Apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4607 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Everyone's missing Blume's high comedy. Shame on you.

#52 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Let me respond by saying if this is your characterization from the quote I had from him, I misrepresented it because that is not at all the case.  If anything, JW is a class act.  He's shown very, very many times how willing he is to let it go and have others do there take on it and each time he's been classy.  When young people make mistakes in their interpretations of his works, he could say: "do NOT touch my stuff" and I've heard people say this about their works in the film industry but he's always been very kind and generous and give people the benefit of the doubt. 

Are u a first-grade relative or his press agent?

#53 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28170 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Nope, but now Blume has been enabled and indeed will thank you quietly for providing him with a handy 'comedy clause' nonetheless.

When someone opens a post like this (and because I can't read their face on the internet):

There is no "high comedy" involved. Without that sentence it would have potentially been prime sharkin' bait, but no. Of course, this will be denied, but whatever. I saw Blume's post before he built his extra little wry additions in you see, which is what I replied to. He was quite serious, which he may well end up denying. But I know.

Anyway, the thread has turned to shit as far as my own interest is concerned.
Posted Image

#54 Uni

Uni

That guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

John is the classiest and humblest individual in an industry packed with ego monsters. Would that they were all his equals where etiquette is concerned.

Fascinating to see the reaction that an offhand comment, made during a performance featuring the theme to a franchise that's very big in the news right now (so why wouldn't he say something?), can create. Given that speculation is the only form of expression left to us where the new films are concerned, I guess it's only natural. But it's also fascinating how everyone seems to know, better than Williams, better than Abrams, better than Lucas, better than Disney, exactly how this is going to turn out. Wish I had that kind of foreknowledge.

Personally, I don't know how things will go. Were I to speculate, I think the key factor will probably be age. I doubt the question mark would be quite so big right now if the Maestro were still in his fifties.

Whatever the chances are at this point, for my part I remain hopeful that he'll be the one to do it—at least for the first installment.

- Uni

the-sound-of-music-gats-gif.gif?w=500                                                       

Bilbo Gump: A Middle-Earth reboot

#55 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

John is the classiest and humblest individual in an industry packed with ego monsters. Would that they were all his equals where etiquette is concerned.

Fascinating to see the reaction that an offhand comment, made during a performance featuring the theme to a franchise that's very big in the news right now (so why wouldn't he say something?), can create. Given that speculation is the only form of expression left to us where the new films are concerned, I guess it's only natural. But it's also fascinating how everyone seems to know, better than Williams, better than Abrams, better than Lucas, better than Disney, exactly how this is going to turn out. Wish I had that kind of foreknowledge.

Personally, I don't know how things will go. Were I to speculate, I think the key factor will probably be age. I doubt the question mark would be quite so big right now if the Maestro were still in his fifties.

Whatever the chances are at this point, for my part I remain hopeful that he'll be the one to do it—at least for the first installment.

- Uni

Very nicely put!

#56 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9317 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Nope, but now Blume has been enabled and indeed will thank you quietly for providing him with a handy 'comedy clause' nonetheless.

When someone opens a post like this (and because I can't read their face on the internet):

>>>>I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:

There is no "high comedy" involved. Without that sentence it would have potentially been prime sharkin' bait, but no. Of course, this will be denied, but whatever. I saw Blume's post before he built his extra little wry additions in you see, which is what I replied to. He was quite serious, which he may well end up denying. But I know.

I'm dead serious.

He's screwing over anyone that takes the reigns after him, because now everyone can point to his comments and go "see the poor guy wanted the job, and Abrams and the assholes at Disney didn't let him." 

It's a dick move. You can cite his  [well-deserved] laurels all you want as justification for why he can do whatever. It's still a dick move.  If not, at the very least it wasn't made with much forethought and it comes off clingy. 

#57 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7766 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

It sounds like you're blowing a simple comment waaay out of proportion.

To me, it seems like the man just wanted to say something nice about a franchise he loved working on to an audience at a concert. There were no intentions of screwing others over (I don't think he expected anyone outside of the audience to even know what he said) or expressing his arrogance. They were simple words on a series he's fond of.

nb6gs9.jpg

#58 Uni

Uni

That guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

To me, it seems like the man just wanted to say something nice about a franchise he loved working on to an audience at a concert. There were of intentions of screwing others (I don't think he expected anyone outside of the audience to ever know what he said) over or expressing is arrogance. They were simple words on a series he is fond of.

Bingo. That's exactly what I thought when I first read the comments he made. I don't think he meant for anyone to read anything substantive into them. He was just keeping things casual.

Why is that so hard to see. . . ?

- Uni

the-sound-of-music-gats-gif.gif?w=500                                                       

Bilbo Gump: A Middle-Earth reboot

#59 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

To me, it seems like the man just wanted to say something nice about a franchise he loved working on to an audience at a concert. There were of intentions of screwing others (I don't think he expected anyone outside of the audience to ever know what he said) over or expressing is arrogance. They were simple words on a series he is fond of.

I totally agree with this.  I dont understand why Blumenkohl would think so poorly of his coment. 

#60 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17575 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yup, I agree.  I don't think that's what JW intended to do, and I don't think that's what's going to happen.  It's not like anybody blames Alexandre Desplat or David Yates for not lettting JW score DH.

For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#61 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9481 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

JW's shadow over the SW is much bigger than it ever was on HP. Simply put, if he wants to do it (and I do believe he has a particular fondness for the saga) he will do it. And I honestly think he'll be much more interested in Episode VII, than say, Goblet of Fire

The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#62 Sharky

Sharky

A Part-Time Zimmer Apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4607 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

If Johnny's being an insensitive asshole, then God damn it he's got every right to be. He was always the best thing about those tawdry films. If Abrams has any sense and humility, he'll beg on all fours to hire the maestro.

#63 pete

pete

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

I'd like to hearing a recording of his comment played backwards before I chime in.

#64 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7766 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

If Johnny's being an insensitive asshole, then God damn it he's got every right to be.

But he wasn't ever trying to be an insensitive asshole. That's the point. ;)

nb6gs9.jpg

#65 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32014 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

<

blockquote>

>>>>I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it mig

ht be:ockquote>There is no "high comedy" involved. Without that sentence it would have potentially been prime sharkin' bait, but no. Of course, this will be denied, but whatever. I saw Blume's post before he built his extra little wry additions in you see, which is what I replied to. He was quite serious, which he may well end up denying. But I know.

I'm dead serious.

He's screwing over anyone that takes the reigns after him, because now everyone can point to his comments and go "see the poor guy wanted the job, and Abrams and the assholes at Disney didn't let him." 

It's a dick move. You can cite his  [well-deserved] laurels all you want as justification for why he can do whatever. It's still a dick move.  If not, at the very least it wasn't made with much forethought and it comes off clingy. 

What happened to "I'll try!" ?

Oh fuck these new quotes.

"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#66 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3803 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

This thread reminds me why it's good to stay out of this place.

#67 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hey, it's all bold! Cool!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#68 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17113 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

It's a bold new world BloodBoal. A bold new world!

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#69 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

That's quite a bold statement, Inky. Quite bold...

#70 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3457 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Oh wow. This thread has boldly gone where no man has ever gone before.

#71 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17113 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

It is only possible with such a bold and adventurous group of people as we are.

I also hope Williams boldly seizes this opporturnity and scores another SW film.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#72 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

MUHAHAHAHAHA!! I am BloodBold! Love me and despair!

#73 chuckster312

chuckster312

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3457 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I daresay this is a bold day for us. How fitting too, what with the day of birth of the boldest maestro ever.

#74 SF1_freeze

SF1_freeze

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

>>>>I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it mig

ht be:

I'm dead serious.

Ridiculous, pessimistic thread destruction of a positive news by a so called JWFan on a JW fan board. Way to go, man. Great job.

You have no idea about respect, friendship and also John Williams personality if you really are serious here.

#75 MSM

MSM

regular poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4710 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hi,

Did anyone manage to make it to the YMF Debut concert last night?  Nice to report Maestro looked great and was in top form.  No signs of slowing down I’m happy to say.   He did make this one tantalizing comment before playing the Star Wars theme:

“We’re about to play Star Wars [audience interrupts with cheers] and each time we play it, I’m reminded of the first time we played it decades ago.  Neither I, nor George, nor anyone else involved thought this would go far or in a few years there would be a sequel and I’d have to revisit the themes…and years later another trilogy.  Now we’re hearing of a new set of movies coming in 2015, 2016…so I need to make sure I’m still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George…[more cheers].”

It seems from the comment he made, he has stated interest in scoring the new films (assuming his stamina and health continues (fingers crossed)).  And second, he might not realize the new films are not directly controlled by Lucas but now in the hands of JJ Abrams.  Do we need to start a letter writing campaign to vocally have JJ Abrams at least give right of first refusal to Williams?  I think it might make a nice passing of the “baton” if JW did the first with Giacchino as understudy to boost some of his skills and really take the place as the heir to JW.  Something Giacchino seems willing but untrained to do.  It is like that whole padawan/master thing in Star Wars.

Giacchino is in no way the heir to John Williams. And no, things don't work like that for artists.

#76 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28170 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Methinks Blume needs another break from JWFan even more than I do. And just when he's announced (because lord knows how he likes to announce himself, Zzzzzz) his returning shiny avatar, too. Oh well.
Posted Image

#77 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9317 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm fine Lee. Thanks for the concern!

#78 Nick66

Nick66

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

<

blockquote>

ht be:

I'm dead serious.

Ridiculous, pessimistic thread destruction of a positive news by a so called JWFan on a JW fan board. Way to go, man. Great job.

You have no idea about respect, friendship and also John Williams personality if you really are serious here.

You're talking about someone, "Blumenkohl" who doesn't have the first clue of what he's talking about...truly one of the most uniformed people I've ever seen on a message board like this. He's clearly unhappy, lonely, and doesn't really have much of a life, and this is his way of getting attention. It's one thing to criticise JW's music, but to come on here and have a go at his integrity in such a personal way tells me that this clown is just looking for an outlet for his misery. I wouldn't give it thought as if you were talking to a serious person. 

Insert witty/funny/insightful/irreverent sig line here.

Insert clever but appropriately obscure .gif/.png/.jpg here

#79 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6288 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hey, if he scores the young Han Solo movie, we might finally get a Han Solo theme!

#80 lostinspace

lostinspace

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

I don't know how you could interpret Williams's comments as "hopes to work on next Star Wars". He is not scoring any more SW movies. What he means by his remarks is they will continue to use the main theme. So I guess the original feel of Star Wars ( created in part by the music) will continue to live on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users