Photo

John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

• Please log in to reply
757 replies to this topic

#81 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

This thread reminds me why it's good to stay out of this place.

Eh, it's just a reminder that people aren't always careful with their language, especially online, and things tend to get amped up needlessly.

I wasn't at the concert, so take this with a grain of salt, but my guess is that Williams was playing good-naturedly to the audience. To the extent a baton needs to be passed at some point some place in his life, I would hope Williams would do so graciously; I don't think it's abundantly clear that Williams needs to start laying the groundwork for that moment in earnest right this minute.

#82 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17437 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hey, if he scores the young Han Solo movie, we might finally get a Han Solo theme!

It would just be an inverted version of the Raiders March.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#83 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20568 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hey, if he scores the young Han Solo movie, we might finally get a Han Solo theme!

Or a love theme. About time the Star Wars saga got one.

#84 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32650 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Everyone's missing Blume's high comedy. Shame on you.

Nope, but now Blume has been enabled and indeed will thank you quietly for providing him with a handy 'comedy clause' nonetheless.

When someone opens a post like this (and because I can't read their face on the internet):

<
blockquote>
>>>>I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:
There is no "high comedy" involved. Without that sentence it would have potentially been prime sharkin' bait, but no. Of course, this will be denied, but whatever. I saw Blume's post before he built his extra little wry additions in you see, which is what I replied to. He was quite serious, which he may well end up denying. But I know.

Anyway, the thread has turned to shit as far as my own interest is concerned.

I'm dead serious.

He's screwing over anyone that takes the reigns after him, because now everyone can point to his comments and go "see the poor guy wanted the job, and Abrams and the assholes at Disney didn't let him." 

It's a dick move. You can cite his  [well-deserved] laurels all you want as justification for why he can do whatever. It's still a dick move.  If not, at the very least it wasn't made with much forethought and it comes off clingy. 

Ridiculous, pessimistic thread destruction of a positive news by a so called JWFan on a JW fan board. Way to go, man. Great job.
You have no idea about respect, friendship and also John Williams personality if you really are serious here.

You're talking about someone, "Blumenkohl" who doesn't have the first clue of what he's talking about...truly one of the most uniformed people I've ever seen on a message board like this. He's clearly unhappy, lonely, and doesn't really have much of a life, and this is his way of getting attention. It's one thing to criticise JW's music, but to come on here and have a go at his integrity in such a personal way tells me that this clown is just looking for an outlet for his misery. I wouldn't give it thought as if you were talking to a serious person. 

You seem to tell people a lot about how they have no lives. Always resorting to cop out personal remarks instead of using any type of argumentative support to refute his point. Blume is probably one of the Top 5 posters here.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#85 Nick66

Nick66

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Everyone's missing Blume's high comedy. Shame on you.

Nope, but now Blume has been enabled and indeed will thank you quietly for providing him with a handy 'comedy clause' nonetheless.

When someone opens a post like this (and because I can't read their face on the internet):

<
blockquote>
>>>>I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:
There is no "high comedy" involved. Without that sentence it would have potentially been prime sharkin' bait, but no. Of course, this will be denied, but whatever. I saw Blume's post before he built his extra little wry additions in you see, which is what I replied to. He was quite serious, which he may well end up denying. But I know.

Anyway, the thread has turned to shit as far as my own interest is concerned.

I'm dead serious.

He's screwing over anyone that takes the reigns after him, because now everyone can point to his comments and go "see the poor guy wanted the job, and Abrams and the assholes at Disney didn't let him." 

It's a dick move. You can cite his  [well-deserved] laurels all you want as justification for why he can do whatever. It's still a dick move.  If not, at the very least it wasn't made with much forethought and it comes off clingy. 
You seem to tell people a lot about how they have no lives. Always resorting to cop out personal remarks instead of using any type of argumentative support to refute his point. Blume is probably one of the Top 5 posters here.

Anyone (i.e. "Blume") who has a sig image composed of people he doesn't like here (rather than just use the ignore function like a non-attention starved person would do)  by definition has no life. Nor a desire for real conversation. And he has no "points", he has snarky comments and personal attacks, which is why I replied that way.  And excuse me if I don't put a lot of faith on who is  a "Top 5" poster from someone who makes comments like this:

So you're actually in love with John Williams, not even the music. This explains everything and makes your argument invalid.

If being a "Top 5" poster here means personally attacking Williams and questioning his integrity, among the many other ridiculous and juvenile things this guy seems to throw out on a regular basis, count me out.  

As far as I can see, the two of you have quite a bit in common.  I'm quickly learning that there are serious posters here who have something to say, and a very distinct group (probably composed of frustrated tweens)  that have little more than vitriol, empty hubris masking serious insecurity, and snark.  I know who I'm interested in talking to.

No need to reply.

Insert witty/funny/insightful/irreverent sig line here.

Insert clever but appropriately obscure .gif/.png/.jpg here

#86 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32650 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Bahahaha. I think you belong at FSM.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#87 Nick66

Nick66

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Bahahaha. I think you belong at FSM.

I'd advise some vitamin D. 

#88 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29680 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Nick66, take no notice of Koray. He's famously one of the board's most deluded members. You should see some of his old posts! But what's so bad about his signature? I'm using mobile view so didn't see anything but changing to desktop view I still see nothing??? As for Blume; he isn't even top ten material, although for some reason he's convinced himself that he is, as you can see. I was going to add "imo" at the end of that statement, but I happen to know for a fact I'm not the only who is turned off by his endlessly grandiloquent style. He actually quit for a while last year and nobody really noticed tbh.

Let me tell you Nick, you're off to a fairly good start here. You'll come out of the other end (of the JWFan baptism of fire) just fine if you stick around long enough. One tip though: it's probably best not to insult older posters here, as a newbie, when they have their bros waiting to jump to their defence. ;)

#89 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

As for Blume, he isn't even top ten material, although for some reason he's convinced himself that he is, as you can see. I was going to add "imo" at the end of that statement, but I happen to know for a fact I'm not the only who is turned off by his endlessly grandiloquent style. He actually quit for a while last year and nobody really noticed tbh.

Ouch. 

#90 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10254 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Nick66, you sound like I did in my first few years at this place. Take it from me - it's a lot more fun when you don't take what anyone says too seriously. :)

#91 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

OK, so are we done here now, or are there a few more blows we need to land?

#92 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29680 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sorry Blume, just setting the record straight because it's been years and pretending accomplishes nothing. Your posts in regards to the Maestro's Star Wars comments are the ultimate cause of my gestating truth. They just went too far this time, joking or not, and even by my own standards.

The man is 81 and in my opinion simply should not be subjected to your ignorant, presumptuous forum shit. You went too far.

Please don't bother to respond, unless it's to insult me, which is fair enough.

#93 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Sorry Blume, just setting the record straight because it's been years and pretending accomplishes nothing. Your posts in regards to the Maestro's Star Wars comments are the ultimate cause of my gestating truth. They just went too far this time, joking or not, and even by my own standards.

The man is 81 and in my opinion simply should not be subjected to your ignorant, presumptuous forum shit. You went to far.

My heart is broken. In pieces.

I still like you Lee.

#94 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Nick66, you sound like I did in my first few years at this place. Take it from me - it's a lot more fun when you don't take what anyone says too seriously. :)

Yeah, I never take what Datameister has to say seriously.  :)

#95 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16122 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

The man is 81 and in my opinion simply should not be subjected to your ignorant, presumptuous forum shit. You went to far.

My heart is broken. In pieces.

It is always painful to watch two people you care about hurt each other and you can do nothing but observe in silence.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#96 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

If you never experienced that feeling of being at a friends house when the soon to be divorced parents are arguing this is your chance to get that lovely awkward feeling. ;)

#97 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16122 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, that uncomfortable movement in your bowels...

Karol

Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#98 Uni

Uni

That guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

OK, so are we done here now, or are there a few more blows we need to land?

So much to be said . . . and yet knowing the absolute futility of even trying. . . .

Nope. We're done here.

Oh, wait—there is one more thing:

So what's the deal with HP3, anyway? Never understood what anyone saw in that one.

- Uni

the-sound-of-music-gats-gif.gif?w=500                                                       

Bilbo Gump: A Middle-Earth reboot

#99 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Idiot!

;)

#100 Nick66

Nick66

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Nick66, take no notice of Koray. He's famously one of the board's most deluded members. You should see some of his old posts! But what's so bad about his signature? I'm using mobile view so didn't see anything but changing to desktop view I still see nothing??? As for Blume; he isn't even top ten material, although for some reason he's convinced himself that he is, as you can see. I was going to add "imo" at the end of that statement, but I happen to know for a fact I'm not the only who is turned off by his endlessly grandiloquent style. He actually quit for a while last year and nobody really noticed tbh.

Let me tell you Nick, you're off to a fairly good start here. You'll come out of the other end (of the JWFan baptism of fire) just fine if you stick around long enough. One tip though: it's probably best not to insult older posters here, as a newbie, when they have their bros waiting to jump to their defence. ;)

Oh, I know.  And actually I've found a good number of people on this forum to be thoughtful and knowledgable.  A few of the board buffoons (every forum has them) aren't going to scare me away.  It doesn't matter that they're long time posters...longevity alone doesn't mean you have anything interesting to say.  People get bored, want attention, so they start slinging feces around insulting Williams, other posters, whatever it takes...it's to be expected.  Just have to remember to avoid the posts that look they were written in a Jay-Z chatroom, or are in Twitter speak.  There are enough adults on here to keep people like Blume (it's his sig image I was referring to), et.al, from making it look like recess at a juvenile detention center.

#101 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

As for Blume; he isn't even top ten material, although for some reason he's convinced himself that he is, as you can see. He actually quit for a while last year and nobody really noticed tbh.

LOL That was like the biggest cry-baby act ever witnessed on this board..! ROTFLMAO

But I don't have to worry about hurting Blume's feelings anymore 'cause I know he will just 'scroll past' my comments. Hurrah! :woop: 

Posted Image

#102 Sharky

Sharky

Social Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5287 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think some folks here need to either

a) grow a thicker skin

Or

b) lighten the fuck up

I say this as someone who's idea of a forum is an online pub. A place for banter, good humour, intelligent debate, and the occasional brawl. I don't visit as much here as I should, but on its best days - JWfan fulfils all of that, plus some more.

I like Blume. He's something of an iconoclast, and forums need that. Nothing worse than fanboy GroupThink. I admit he doesn't always make the grade (here's one example) - but when the timing's right, his posts make for a decent laugh.

#103 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think some folks here need to either

a) grow a thicker skin

Or

b) lighten the fuck up

I say this as someone who's idea of a forum is an online pub. A place for banter, good humour, intelligent debate, and the occasional brawl. I don't visit as much here as I should, but on its best days - JWfan fulfils all of that, plus some more.

I like Blume. He's something of an iconoclast, and forums need that. Nothing worse than fanboy GroupThink. I admit he doesn't always make the grade (here's one example) - but when the timing's right, his posts make for a decent laugh.

Don't worry; Blume is getting exactly the kind of reaction to his provocative posts that he's aiming for.

And I'm the fool falling for it and living up to it. ;)

Posted Image

#104 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Didn't it have to do with his mom's illness? Yeah really fun stuff Sandor.

Your probably thinking of me because I got pissed and left because of similar bullshit that's happening now.

#105 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Didn't have to do with his mom's illness. Yeah really fun stuff Sandor.

Your probably thinking of me because I got pissed and left because of similar bullshit that's happening now.

Hmmm no... I kinda remember he had a problem with moderating issues and shit like that.

If it had anything to do with his mom I must have missed that and I will retract my comment and apologize.

Posted Image

#106 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Lee's thrown more of a hissy fit over mod issues than Blume ever has.

And if I'm mistaken as well I apologize to you.

#107 Mr. K

Mr. K

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

I don't think this is some random comment from JW to appease concert-goers.  This isn't the offhand "I'll try" remark.  Do you really think nobody has already approached JW about this project?  He was GL's most important collaborator, certainly something LFL head Kathy Kennedy understands with all her years producing for Spielberg.  I think the odds that JW name is on the contracts is far more likely than Giacchino's.  One of the first things they do is assemble their production team- JW would be on the priority list.

The job is his, the only factor making the suits at Disney nervous is his age.  Unless he is unable to continue due to health or passing, Giacchino is stuck waiting in the wings, at the most will be involved in a "William Ross" capacity.  As for JW, the comment sounds like he's very excited to get back in the game and has already talked to GL.  Why GL & not JJ?  Established personal & professional relationship.  As powerful as JJ is, GL is far better choice to reel JW in.

Mr. K

#108 Uni

Uni

That guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Do you really think nobody has already approached JW about this project?

Hmm. . . . ;)

Your analysis is spot-on.

- Uni

#109 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

If Lee has an issue with me that's between he and I and his ignore button. No need to have forum battling about which ego is right or wrong. It's no fun.

So lets get back to the discussion, controversial as it is.

If you think I'm being too harsh saying Johns comments were not very gracious, because John is always soft apple I think you are falling for the soft spoken public persona he conveys.

He works in Hollywood. He is part of the most cutthroat aspect of the film industry. Even more so than director and producer. There is one composer per film. And only a few films a year enjoy a full single composer who gets to work with an orchestra.

You can bet being passive and soft spoken is not how John or his representatives got him to the great position he enjoys today. It's a lovely fairy tale and easy to believe for the diehard fans...but it's just not how the industry has worked, works, or will work.

You gotta be a shark to survive as a light grip and there are dozens of those on a production. Let alone a composer of which there is one.

#110 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I don't think this is some random comment from JW to appease concert-goers.  This isn't the offhand "I'll try" remark.  Do you really think nobody has already approached JW about this project?  He was GL's most important collaborator, certainly something LFL head Kathy Kennedy understands with all her years producing for Spielberg.  I think the odds that JW name is on the contracts is far more likely than Giacchino's.  One of the first things they do is assemble their production team- JW would be on the priority list.

The job is his, the only factor making the suits at Disney nervous is his age.  Unless he is unable to continue due to health or passing, Giacchino is stuck waiting in the wings, at the most will be involved in a "William Ross" capacity.  As for JW, the comment sounds like he's very excited to get back in the game and has already talked to GL.  Why GL & not JJ?  Established personal & professional relationship.  As powerful as JJ is, GL is far better choice to reel JW in.

Mr. K

I agree with you on this and find it the most hopeful and possible outcome.  I hope it happens.

#111 Nick66

Nick66

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Interesting that the same genius who was comparing JW to a "stalker" is now not so gracefully trying to walk it back by saying Williams is just being Hollywood tough.  And all this because an ageing composer said to some fans he'd like to work with George again. Of course, this is the same clown who thinks he knows what's in JJ Abrams Star Wars contract to the letter and assures us all that there's no way Williams is scoring it.

Pretending you know how Hollywood works doesn't mean you do.  Blume sounds like a kid who thinks he knows how things work in Hollywood and want to show us all how smart he is.  Or someone trying to imitate how he thinks the grown ups talk...since he thinks being tough means being rude on a message board, he just kind of assumes it works the same way with big type folk in Hollywood.  And that anyone who thinks Williams can be a decent person and still thrive in the big leagues must be naive.

These are your words Blume, don't run away from them now:

I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:

It completely rubs me the wrong way.

The entire focus of the new Star Wars trilogy is to transition the franchise into the hands of a new generation.  Even George "IT'S MINE, ALL MINE, I CAN DO WITH IT WHAT I CHOOSE" Lucas has stepped back and is handing it off to relatively younger people. 

And here is John going "OH I CAN'T WAIT TO WORK ON IT!" 

It just doesn't strike me as particularly classy, on several levels.  Chiefly, he's not elegantly handing off a torch to future generations, he's not saying "I've done my bit for king and country, I'll let rising talent take a shot at it."  He's basically muscling his way into screwing over anyone that may or may not be selected to score the film after him.  Because now we know the old lovely man wanted to score it, and some youngin stole it from him. 

Second the assumption that he will be involved comes off as arrogant.  Yes, you are Star Wars John, but being a little modest about it would be so much more likable.  Feign it, say "I'd love to work on it if I am invited to do so, but I'm also interested in hearing what fresh talent could do with Star Wars." 

All in all It's a bit cringe worthy.  It's like that stalker ex that just doesn't know when to quit. Everyone else is looking forward to the fresh direction, and he's still like "I'm gonna score it!" 

You greedy son of a gun Johnny.  I can see how you cleverly manipulated your way into screwing over Patrick Doyle with the whole Stepmom fiasco. 

So being Hollywood tough also means that Williams is an old, classless, inelegant, arrogant, cringe worthy, greedy, manipulative stalker who likes to screw colleagues over?  I wonder how he manipulated Spielberg into a 40 year collaboration!

And really looking forward to hearing your insiders insights on that whole messy Patrick Doyle situation that I'm sure you just know is true!  Of course stalker Williams threw around his weight to screw over poor Patrick Doyle by getting him fired so he could get the plum project of composing the blockbuster "Stepmom" in between Saving Private Ryan and Star Wars!  But perhaps your contacts at Bad Robot can look into it for us.

Got it Blume, you Hollywood guru you!  

Ladies and Gentlemen, one of JWfan's "Top 5" posters.

EDIT: Oh, and Blume, whatever you think being a "Hollywood shark" means, it isn't.  If you think Williams has to act like you describe to thrive in a competitive environment, you're wrong.  Maybe you've worked in Hollywood, I don't know, but if you do you don't have any understanding about how things work in the leagues above you, and haven't learned much.  So next time you want to personally malign the most respected film composer of all time, who probably changed the life of a good number of people on this board, why don't you do it at a forum that doesn't have his name on it.  Or at least know WTF you're talking about if you do.

#112 karelm

karelm

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

If Lee has an issue with me that's between he and I and his ignore button. No need to have forum battling about which ego is right or wrong. It's no fun.

So lets get back to the discussion, controversial as it is.

If you think I'm being too harsh saying Johns comments were not very gracious, because John is always soft apple I think you are falling for the soft spoken public persona he conveys.

He works in Hollywood. He is part of the most cutthroat aspect of the film industry. Even more so than director and producer. There is one composer per film. And only a few films a year enjoy a full single composer who gets to work with an orchestra.

You can bet being passive and soft spoken is not how John or his representatives got him to the great position he enjoys today. It's a lovely fairy tale and easy to believe for the diehard fans...but it's just not how the industry has worked, works, or will work.

You gotta be a shark to survive as a light grip and there are dozens of those on a production. Let alone a composer of which there is one.

There are many, many in the industry who are very supportive, kind, humble, and generous. There are many others who are very cruel, sharks, too. It is simplistic and presumptuous to assume all are the same.  Your comment here also broaches on the topic of what is the root of his success.  I think on the list of reasons why he's made it big - his being a shark/hollywood type is not even in the list.

#113 Uni

Uni

That guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Yeah. I gotta admit it . . . you're probably right. It's fun to hope, dammit, but we all need to face a little reality here: JW's only been in the business for what, half a century? That's hardly enough time to build up a reputation. Word is the man's barely hanging on by his fingernails. After all, he came within a hair of having his score for Indy 4 rejected (I hear Desplat had the inside track to replace him). His representatives are out there as we speak trying to land him a decent job, but he just can't seem to get his foot in the door. There's just no getting around it: you've gotta be a shark if you want to keep working in the business after fifty years, even if you are the most popular, best-selling, and widely-sought-after composer in that business. John's just not the type.

You're right about the other part, too. We all know there can be multiple producers on a film, and there can even be multiple directors (especially if they're brothers!). But when it comes to composers, it's like Highlander: there can be only one! Unless, of course, you count Cloud Atlas, or The Changeling, or half the scores with Hans Zimmer's name on them, or many of the animated musicals produced by Disney—say, isn't Disney the one doing the new Star Wars movies. . . ?

Forget it. Everyone would be better off saving themselves the disappointment by just accepting the realities of the industry. Hell, if I know those Disney bastards, they've probably already offered the scoring job to one of the light grips. . . . ;)

- Uni

#114 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm sure Patrick Doyle might have a tale or two about the "sharks" in Hollywood. ;)

#115 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm sure Patrick Doyle might have a tale or two about the "sharks" in Hollywood. ;)

I'm very pro-stomp-on-people-who-have-cancer, myself. ;)

(In all seriousness, as messy as that situation seemed, I would still like to think the most cynical interpretation of events isn't necessarily the most accurate one.)

Mr. K

Smart analysis, as is typical of you. I don't think it's an either-or, though. Serious, advanced discussions with Williams's team may very well be going on behind the scenes, but it still reads like a play to audience. (But again, I wasn't there.)

#116 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Interesting that the same genius who was comparing JW to a "stalker" is now not so gracefully trying to walk it back by saying Williams is just being Hollywood tough.  And all this because an ageing composer said to some fans he'd like to work with George again. Of course, this is the same clown who thinks he knows what's in JJ Abrams Star Wars contract to the letter and assures us all that there's no way Williams is scoring it.

Pretending you know how Hollywood works doesn't mean you do.  Blume sounds like a kid who thinks he knows how things work in Hollywood and want to show us all how smart he is.  Or someone trying to imitate how he thinks the grown ups talk...since he thinks being tough means being rude on a message board, he just kind of assumes it works the same way with big type folk in Hollywood.  And that anyone who thinks Williams can be a decent person and still thrive in the big leagues must be naive.

First, Nick relax. Deep breath. You don't need to get your blood pressure that high and hurl personal insults to defend your point against me.

I enjoy getting a rise out of people (it gets you talking), but I don't enjoy you giving yourself a heart attack over my comments. That and it's no fun for anyone, especially me, when you make the arguments about me rather than the topic. 

P.S. If you are really offended by the signature, consider this: even Koray who jumped to my defense earlier was once where you stand now, the last time I did the signature! I'm pretty sure I put Joey in the scroll past list last time just to spite him. You're new, and you're not familiar with me yet, so I can understand that you feel the signature is a sign of my being a terrible person. For what its worth, I think you can make a pretty solid addition around here, if you stick around long enough. 

So let's look at the biggest mistake in this thread so far:

So being Hollywood tough also means that Williams is an old, classless, inelegant, arrogant, cringe worthy, greedy, manipulative stalker who likes to screw colleagues over?

I never said that.  I did not even insulted John directly. I took issue with his comments and how they reflect on him in my eyes.  Almost every highlighted red word is directed at his comments, not the man.

The only point I'd say my words were directed at John personally is the bit about Patrick Doyle. He used a similar "I would like to score it," tactic to replace a Patrick Doyle recovering from leukemia on Stepmom.  And I mean those words. 

But before you take issue with those particular insults to psychoanalyze me and tell me what I'm trying to say consider this:

Imagine you were solely responsible for a project or task and someone who is better than you came by and said "Oh I would like to do that!" and then proceeded to replace you on it. How would you feel? 

Now imagine you may have the opportunity to work on a once in a lifetime project, a project with a great legacy that is being turned over to a new generation like yourself. Imagine the man who's already taken six shots at it says "Oh! I would love to do that!" 

I would have much preferred John's comments convey a willingness and graciousness in giving others the opportunity to tackle one of the most incredible projects they could imagine.

Sometimes an important part of being the best is being willing to let others do what you want to do.  It's unfortunate that John's comments do not convey that willingness. It's one of the most powerful things our leaders, elders, wise, and experienced can do for us.  

Let's take it back to Star Wars.  To an old, wise, experienced man who is the best at what he does. Did Yoda go fight the Emperor and Darth Vader for Luke? Even our greatest mythologies make it a point of showing the wise and all powerful wizard who steps aside for the rising youth.  

I honestly don't think my disappointment is unwarranted. 

#117 gkgyver

gkgyver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8399 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Wow, what a thread. Joe's gonna have a heart attack.

"You think they wear those tight-fitting clothes just so some other bride can say 'Gee your hips look succulent'? The good-looking ones know we're looking, they love us to be looking, and god bless 'em, they're carrying the rest of their sex!" - Al Bundy

#118 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

You're a bigger man than me Blume.

#119 Tom

Tom

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

First, Nick relax. Deep breath. You don't need to get your blood pressure that high and hurl personal insults to defend your point against me.

I enjoy getting a rise out of people (it gets you talking), but I don't enjoy you giving yourself a heart attack over my comments. That and it's no fun for anyone, especially me, when you make the arguments about me rather than the topic. 

P.S. If you are really offended by the signature, consider this: even Koray who jumped to my defense earlier was once where you stand now, the last time I did the signature! I'm pretty sure I put Joey in the scroll past list last time just to spite him. You're new, and you're not familiar with me yet, so I can understand that you feel the signature is a sign of my being a terrible person. For what its worth, I think you can make a pretty solid addition around here, if you stick around long enough. 

So let's look at the biggest mistake in this thread so far:

S

o being Hollywood tough also means that Williams is an old, classless, inelegant, arrogant, cringe worthy, greedy, manipulative stalker who likes to screw colleagues over?

I never said that.  I did not even insulted John directly. I took issue with his comments and how they reflect on him in my eyes.  Almost every highlighted red word is directed at his comments, not the man.

The only point I'd say my words were directed at John personally is the bit about Patrick Doyle. He used a similar "I would like to score it," tactic to replace a Patrick Doyle recovering from leukemia on Stepmom.  And I mean those words. 

But before you take issue with those particular insults to psychoanalyze me and tell me what I'm trying to say consider this:

Imagine you were solely responsible for a project or task and someone who is better than you came by and said "Oh I would like to do that!" and then proceeded to replace you on it. How would you feel? 

Now imagine you may have the opportunity to work on a once in a lifetime project, a project with a great legacy that is being turned over to a new generation like yourself. Imagine the man who's already taken six shots at it says "Oh! I would love to do that!" 

I would have much preferred John's comments convey a willingness and graciousness in giving others the opportunity to tackle one of the most incredible projects they could imagine.

Sometimes an important part of being the best is being willing to let others do what you want to do.  It's unfortunate that John's comments do not convey that willingness. It's one of the most powerful things our leaders, elders, wise, and experienced can do for us.  

Let's take it back to Star Wars.  To an old, wise, experienced man who is the best at what he does. Did Yoda go fight the Emperor and Darth Vader for Luke? Even our greatest mythologies make it a point of showing the wise and all powerful wizard who steps aside for the rising youth.  

I honestly don't think my disappointment is unwarranted.

Um Mr. Beethoven, I know you would like to write a ninth symphony and such, but could you just be a man and let one of these guys write one instead...what, can't you hear me?

#120 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9487 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

That's not the best of comparisons. I would be ecstatic for John Williams writing another concerto or even a symphony.  Writing music for ones self...that's an entirely different ball game from writing music for a product.  Star Wars is a cultural icon in the process of transitioning to a new generation.  As far as I know, Beethoven never sold his symphonies to Disney in the hopes that new people would take over and carry on its legacy.

But kudos for the incredibly well snuck in deaf joke.  I laughed.  ROTFLMAO

You're a bigger man than me Blume.

I had my fun, but the thread got out of hand.  So I only did the sensible thing (at least I think it's sensible): restate  and clarify my point [somewhat] less hyperbolically in the hopes that this time it produces better conversation! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users