London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

Maybe he could utilize certain members from the LSO as he did for HP1 and HP3. The performances of those scores were fantastic. They were recorded in London though and I don't know if they would be able to fly them over to the US.

Wouldn't there be union issues flying over an orchestra from London to record in LA? Just thinking out loud.

That's possible.

I'm curious about the process. From how it's worded, it seems they will record the score in various chunks over a longer period of time instead of doing one big bulk. Maybe Williams is writing the score with a slightly different method (scoring the scenes as they're delivered to him instead of having a rough cut of the complete film).

Jesus. First he's not scoring Spielberg's new film and now he's doing Star Wars without the London Symphony Orchestra. Somehow, this...this is all wrong. This is not the way it's supposed to be.

This is probably why he couldn't make it work with Bridge of Spies after his health delay, if the writing and recording for Star Wars is going to be spread out over a period of months.

I will admit to a slight disappointment over the LSO not doing this in Abbey Road as was tradition, but everything about this film has diverted from tradition, right down to the release date, the fact Disney is distributing and not Fox, among other things, so I can't say that the disappointment runs too deep. We'll still be getting another John Williams Star Wars score.

Perhaps some of the more melodramatic among us can take solace in the fact that this film is supposedly a "passing of the torch" - in all respects. That is the way of things... the way of the Force.

So this is due to JJ Abrhams anal retentive secrecy (he does not want even the orchestra seeing the film, so nothing leaks)

Or Williams is ill and they are going to spread the recoding sessions so he can rest a little between works.

Expected news, at least for me. There's no way Williams is ever returning to Europe again -- whatever the project is. I think it's in safe hands in LA.

It's a shame that I only got the means to travel long after Williams' last concert performance in Europe (the Barbican in 1998). OK, so I've seen him twice in the US, but still. It's a fact of life.

What an evening that must have been:

johnwilliams1998.jpg

This is a good thing for LA studio musicians, particularly given the rise of synthesized scores, and if it makes JW's life easier, then I am all for it.

I am sure the resulting CD will sound just find. LA musicians have performed amazing film scores in the past, and there's no reason to think they won't now. The important thing is that Williams is at the helm, getting re-takes until it sounds just right. And they are giving him months to do so.

Spared no expense!

It will be either Murphy or Rhodes

Murphy is the most likely canditate, given the fact he's recorded all of Williams's scores since 2004.

I am sure the resulting CD will sound just find. LA musicians have performed amazing film scores in the past, and there's no reason to think they won't now. The important thing is that Williams is at the helm, getting re-takes until it sounds just right. And they are giving him months to do so.

Spared no expense!

I hope this means less edited music in the film.

If the recording schedule is as spread out as the article seems to suggest, this is really the only viable option and explains a bit his withdrawal from Bridge of Spies. And he seems to be taking his time with the TFA score, which can only be a good thing

Yea, hopefully it means JW gets a chance to re-score (either from scratch or with Inserts) any scenes that get edited after his initial cue was recorded, so the final film won't feel like a hodgepodge of familiar music. And it means a future expanded CD could have more fun alternates!

Recording quality should be great. I am concerned about whether the LA musicians are up for. The performance for Indy 4 was noticeably inferior to the LSO.

My guess is that by "several months" it will be similar to Tintin. there will basically be two recording sessions separated by, in this case, three months or so.

Recording quality should be great. I am concerned about whether the LA musicians are up for. The performance for Indy 4 was noticeably inferior to the LSO.

It's been debated countless times, here. Both LA-based studio musicians (often performing in various established local orchestras as well) and the musicians of the London Symphony are very talented and highly professional people. This doesn't mean that if both orchestras were to interpret a specific cue, they would interpret it in the exact same way - it means that in both cases, the piece will be performed with the utmost professionalism there is to be found.

I think it's fairly safe to expect Star Wars VII will sound like Williams's most recent scores recorded in LA, which shouldn't be a problem at all given the amount of expertise audible in those recordings. The recording won't sound absolutely perfect - after all, recording a film score is a stressfull experience, regardless of the orchestra contracted - but given the amount of time dedicated purely to rehearsal of the music, the results will undoubtedly demonstrate the same amount of expertise present in other scores recorded in LA.

Which score did Williams give the musicians sheet music the day before so they could rehearse overnight?

He was worried about the complexity of what he wrote and whether they could pick it up on the day of the record. Tintin?

Yeah....I don't get what people have against the LA musicians. As Alexander said, many of them are members of the major orchestras out there. The only benefit of having the LSO is to have the chemistry of the players in an organized orchestra. But these players play together often enough that this can't be an issue. And Williams has his list of people to contract, he's been using these people exclusively for ten years now, and much longer before. The players know what Williams is looking for in his performances. The LSO hasn't dealt with Williams in 10 years.

Which score did Williams give the musicians sheet music the day before so they could rehearse overnight?

He was worried about the complexity of what he wrote and whether they could pick it up on the day of the record. Tintin?

Didn't this happen with "Hedwig's Theme"?

People who have something against the LA musicians just don't know anything. Simple as that.

I hope neither Murphy nor Rhodes (not that he'd have any reason to show up for it) are involved. Better to have a fresh sound.

This article explains a bit the editorial process they're doing on the film. The fact they're apparently doing the scoring sessions in separate chunks over a longer period of time could also be a consequence of how post-production of the film itself is being handled.

People who have something against the LA musicians just don't know anything. Simple as that.

I hope neither Murphy nor Rhodes (not that he'd have any reason to show up for it) are involved. Better to have a fresh sound.

Shoot me for it, but I've actually really enjoyed the engineering on Williams's scores since Indy IV.

Shoot me for it, but I've actually really enjoyed the engineering on Williams's scores since Indy IV.

Oh I don't mind Murphy's sound either like some do, but I'd like to see as many new faces involved as possible.